5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

haram

Matt Richie, James Morrison, Tom Cleverley, Pedro, Ox, Albrighton, Herrera. Not all the same positions but think all these guys are decent players but not great.
These players are not all in the same bracket at all.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
These players are not all in the same bracket at all.
Obviously not ffs Matt Richie and Pedro are on that list. I thought you were asking who I thought was average in semi similar positions to which Lingard has been played ie a 7,11,10 or 8 positions.

haram

Obviously not ffs Matt Richie and Pedro are on that list. I thought you were asking who I thought was average in semi similar positions to which Lingard has been played ie a 7,11,10 or 8 positions.
So you are grouping Lingard in with James Morrison in terms of a bracket of talent? Have you seen these two players play?

Lawman

So you are grouping Lingard in with James Morrison in terms of a bracket of talent? Have you seen these two players play?
Don’t rate either very highly to be honest and I think both are average premiership players. Jesse is at United and had a career best season where as Morrison has never had a season like this so no comparison there but I do think both are very average footballers for their respective clubs and these guys have done very well to play where they play. Jesse I hope kicks on and if he has another season producing good returns then I’ll reconsider my opinion as that season unfolds but watching him I honestly think he’s an average footballer compared to what I’ve saw at United over the years and that’s where I’m judging him rather than comparisons with Matt Richie or James Morrison that you have asked me to do.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He is superb threat from outside the box. He scored 24 goals, won't be surprised if at least 10 are long rangers or dribbling past players to score a goal.

haram

Don’t rate either very highly to be honest and I think both are average premiership players. Jesse is at United and had a career best season where as Morrison has never had a season like this so no comparison there but I do think both are very average footballers for their respective clubs and these guys have done very well to play where they play. Jesse I hope kicks on and if he has another season producing good returns then I’ll reconsider my opinion as that season unfolds but watching him I honestly think he’s an average footballer compared to what I’ve saw at United over the years and that’s where I’m judging him rather than comparisons with Matt Richie or James Morrison that you have asked me to do.
Im sorry, but there is simply no comparison between James Morrison and Jesse Lingard. I don't think you have actually seen Morrison play.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
:lol:

Lawman

Im sorry, but there is simply no comparison between James Morrison and Jesse Lingard. I don't think you have actually seen Morrison play.
I’ve not made a direct comparison and quite clearly stated this in my post as I only named average footballers like you asked me so steer clear of that path please. Plus I think I’ve saw James Morrison play live over a dozen times over the years. He’s a very average footballer imo. I think the same with Pedro as never rated him but of course like Lingard he has a different levels from James feckin Morrison as he’s played for Barca and Chelsea but doesn’t stop me comparing him to players afore him at Barca or around him and me not rating him for Barca.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I’ve not made a direct comparison and quite clearly stated this in my post as I only named average footballers like you asked me so steer clear of that path please. Plus I think I’ve saw James Morrison play live over a dozen times over the years. He’s a very average footballer imo. I think the same with Pedro as never rated him but of course like Lingard he has a different levels from James feckin Morrison as he’s played for Barca and Chelsea but doesn’t stop me comparing him to players afore him at Barca or around him and me not rating him for Barca.
He was obviously asking what other footballers do you see at Jesse's level though, since you deemed him as average, he wanted to see if your definition of average was actually quite high or low etc. At least that's how I understood it

PoTMS

Clicking into form nicely after a few weeks out of the limelight. Can only bode well for United with important games to come.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
It's reached the point in where you start to reconsider what his ceiling is.

Need to find a way to get him in our starting line up to his full effect for next season. Feels like at the moment we're juggling with trying to get 3-4 players in the team but not using them proficiently.

Brightonian

He's always played well for Southgate, they obviously understand each other.

Interesting to see him clicking so well with Sterling. If he gets the best out of Sterling he'll be doing England a huge favour, the lad's caused such a problem for the team since breaking in because his club form is so often too good not to play him, but his national form has generally been shite.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Look a better side with him in there instead of Alli.

predator

Youth NITK
I genuinely can't put my finger on why he is so effective. His dribbling, passing, physicality and skill in general do not stand out compared to other players but overall his shooting, work rate, positioning and attitude-maybe? is just incredible.

Not going to lie, I really didn't think he could succeed at the highest level but he has proven me wrong without a doubt. Keep it up Jesse!

FujiVice

He's awesome. An Englishman with a set on balls on him. He'd thrive in the World Cup. He loves big occassions.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I genuinely can't put my finger on why he is so effective. His dribbling, passing, physicality and skill in general do not stand out compared to other players but overall his shooting, work rate, positioning and attitude-maybe? is just incredible.

Not going to lie, I really didn't think he could succeed at the highest level but he has proven me wrong without a doubt. Keep it up Jesse!
Primarily it's his movement which is as good as anyones. He's just added end product to the promising positions he's taking up now.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
He's awesome. An Englishman with a set on balls on him. He'd thrive in the World Cup. He loves big occassions.
Surely it must be a given that he's going? One of the most effective English players this season, and quite comfortably outperforming someone like Alli (whom I would assume he's in direct competition with for a spot in the first XI).

AR87

Primarily it's his movement which is as good as anyones. He's just added end product to the promising positions he's taking up now.
He's a player who links play very well with his movement movement between the lines and quick passing. Players like this, when on form, grease the wheels for a team's overall attacking play. Jesse turning into a plus goal scorer means he brings more to the table now than just nice link up play as well.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He’s showing just how effective good off the ball movement can be.

The majority of the game you are playing without the ball and the better your movement is without it, the volume and quality of opportunities you’ll get with the ball will increase.

Canagel

Is he, dare I say, our mini-Müller?
I said this a long time ago. Since last season actually. Very similar qualities. Both are quite clever players and the team plays and functions a lot better with them in the team. Sometimes you don't realise what they do on the pitch until they aren't playing. Muller scores a lot more but Lingard can reach that level too.

P-Nut

I said this a long time ago. Since last season actually. Very similar qualities. Both are quite clever players and the team plays and functions a lot better with them in the team. Sometimes you don't realise what they do on the pitch until they aren't playing. Muller scores a lot more but Lingard can reach that level too.
I'd say that's mostly down to composure. Muller never panics as he's been playing that second striker role for so long. Jesse is panicking less and less though as time goes on so hopefully he can get to that level.

Web of Bissaka

:devil: Mischievous quick thinking, assisting Vardy.

His off the ball movements and maturity in his play ("right decisions" in game) have always been that good.

Adding that consistent finishing and goals made him more efficient and finally "obvious" to the eyes of many.

Canagel

I'd say that's mostly down to composure. Muller never panics as he's been playing that second striker role for so long. Jesse is panicking less and less though as time goes on so hopefully he can get to that level.
I think Lingard needs to stay in the box more and wait for crosses and cutbacks. Sometimes he comes too deep and the midfield becomes too congested. Lingard hasn't got the passing quality to split open defences like usual number tens ie Silva/Isco etc but he has other qualities like his movement, link up play and goal scoring ability. Its a big shame we don't have quality fullbacks. Honestly they would transform our team completely. Lukaku and Lingard especially would score loads of goals if we had decent delivery from wide areas. Sometimes he comes too deep and the midfield becomes too congested. I'd tell him to get in the box more and focus on scoring more goals. I believe Lingard can score 20+ goals next season if he works hard and takes all his opportunities.

P-Nut

I think Lingard needs to stay in the box more and wait for crosses and cutbacks. Sometimes he comes too deep and the midfield becomes too congested. Lingard hasn't got the passing quality to split open defences like usual number tens ie Silva/Isco etc but he has other qualities like his movement, link up play and goal scoring ability. Its a big shame we don't have quality fullbacks. Honestly they would transform our team completely. Lukaku and Lingard especially would score loads of goals if we had decent delivery from wide areas. Sometimes he comes too deep and the midfield becomes too congested. I'd tell him to get in the box more and focus on scoring more goals. I believe Lingard can score 20+ goals next season if he works hard and takes all his opportunities.
I don't think staying too close to the box would suit him to be honest. He's scored loads of goals from deep runs, late into the box and it's that movement which catches the defenders off guard.

Muller is slightly different in that he doesn't move around as much, but is better at finding the space in the box when it's congested.

Both possess excellent movement, just slightly different variations.

Robbie Boy

From F365:

It may annoy or displease Tottenham supporters, but Lingard may now be considered favourite to start over Dele Alli in England’s first game. Southgate said before the game that Alli did not take full part in training and so couldn’t start, but in the meantime Lingard and Sterling have forged an understanding that must have impressed their manager. The through ball to Vardy was excellent, the runs from deep welcome and the speed of thought to set up the goal exquisite. Nobody has improved their status more over the last two games than Jesse.

el3mel

Lingard has been far better than Alli this season, it will be absurd if he's not selected ahead of him.

Web of Bissaka

Will says a lot about Gareth Southgate if he'll pick Alli ahead of Lingard, considering their forms and Lingod's chemistry with Sterling and the rest of England players.

Team effectiveness/functionality over reputation.

Alli is not that good this season compare to his many previous ones.

sunama

Baghdad Bob

1:23 and 3:34 clearly enjoying himself our Jesse, think he should start for England
My god!
I just lambasted Russia, when they played France, in another thread. I stated that these wimps refused to tackle and just stood off of Pogba, while he had the ball. I also said that all 10 outfield players should've been subbed off.
WTF were the orange team doing in this match? The same.
Did Russia and Holland sign a document promising that no player would be compete for the ball?
I haven't watched a friendly match in several years, but if this is the standard of internationals these days, why are players not being called out?
Those orange shirts should be embarrassed. They made no attempt to tackle or press. They stood back and allowed us to score.
No wonder Memphis got into the Dutch NT. In England, he'd be a Championship player...but he is good enough to play for Holland.

How do Dutch people feel about this Orange team and their performance against England?

Web of Bissaka

My god!
I just lambasted Russia, when they played France, in another thread. I stated that these wimps refused to tackle and just stood off of Pogba, while he had the ball. I also said that all 10 outfield players should've been subbed off.
WTF were the orange team doing in this match? The same.
Did Russia and Holland sign a document promising that no player would be compete for the ball?
I haven't watched a friendly match in several years, but if this is the standard of internationals these days, why are players not being called out?
Those orange shirts should be embarrassed. They made no attempt to tackle or press. They stood back and allowed us to score.
No wonder Memphis got into the Dutch NT. In England, he'd be a Championship player...but he is good enough to play for Holland.
Seems like the Dutch players press and tackle just fine against England. The vid showed a lot of their attempts.

Maybe we should consider Lingod's and Sterling's abilities in holding and keeping the ball for that game. In addition to their constant movements and link-up play, it's not easy to mark and get near them, yet good number of times the Dutch pressed the England players well, even able to give some good not-foul tackles.

Web of Bissaka

1:23 and 3:34 clearly enjoying himself our Jesse, think he should start for England
Thanks mate. Lingod's chemistry with Sterling is impressive. Gareth should totally use this weapon. Alli can just switch with Ox Chamberlain if he still insist on playing him. Kane starts, and both Rashford and Vardy off the bench to deal damages in the closing time. Promising attacks England have, but of course the defence and how they'll perform under pressure will be the focus.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
the most improved player in the PL? It just goes to show we never really know our young players ceilings. even though everyone will tell you lingard was always very highly rated within the club hes only shown it in spades this year. if he keeps this up next season he'll legit be one the top attackers in the league. it looks like we have some more top youth prospects coming through too. hopefully a few can get the same chances to develop as jesse has.

Status
Not open for further replies.