Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
He was poor like all of our attacking players but still a level above Martial. It is really hard for him to play in a team with absolute slow tempo like today. Having Matic who likes to take extra two touches before releasing the ball and McTominay who just passes backwards or sideways, player like Lingard will always struggle. Put him into Klopp system and he will have even better numbers than this season. But I can give him pass today because at least he looked like he cared..

JoaquinJoaquin

His good grace period is coming to an end with me. Not had a good performance for quite a few games now. Has made huge strides this season, but shouldn't be anything more than a squad player.

Jngun

Backpass and sidepass all day long , when he did a forward pass it force the receiver to do backpass again. I am not gonna say any harsher than that although i have lot more to criticized him on

engulfing

He struggles against teams defending deep. Hes more of a transition player. He should try to shoot more when on the edge of the box. He has to improve his final passing too. Ultimately we need him because of the homegrown quota and as homegrown players go, he is decent. He will be a good squad option.

Swift Football

His movement is what makes him good. If we are to build a fluid attack, he will be a good fit, and I feel he is ahead of both Martial and Rashford in that respect. Also, he is great at pressing. BUt you need more than movement/pressing to be a top player. We are playing him as #10, but one of his limitations is dictating the play in between the lines, he is neither great at playmaking nor great at making sublime passes, hence he will always be okay player rather than a top one. Its not something he is not doing enough, or not putting shift for the team but just that its not his style.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Consistently one of our worst attackers, now.
I think the thread title needs to be changed.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Jesse is deadly anywhere within 20 yards. Wish he'd shoot more for us. Sometimes United seem scared to take shots. So much side to side s-t. Sometimes you just need to send one towards goal. Pleased for the kid.

meamth

Nice goal, boring celebration.

:drool: Oh come on, where's that creative arrays of celebration.
Mourinho probably asked everyone to tone down the pop culture stuff.

Lingard should probably be a starter come Russia. Alli can wait.

Sterling Archer

He struggles against teams defending deep. Hes more of a transition player. He should try to shoot more when on the edge of the box. He has to improve his final passing too. Ultimately we need him because of the homegrown quota and as homegrown players go, he is decent. He will be a good squad option.
Remember that transition against Stoke? When he solo transitioned from our half to into the top corner :drool:

podurban2

What do you mean he “will be a good squad option”? He is already a great squad option :nono:

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Surprised there isn’t more posts about him since his winning goal last night. He loves a winning goal.

Might sound controversial but people seem to be ready to jump in this thread when he has a bad game, not so much when he is continuously performing well.

I admit I was quick to criticise him at the beginning of the season, but he is quicky becoming my favourite player.

Walters_19_MuFc

Was really impressed with Jesse's performance yesterday in centre midfield.

On paper, a midfield of Lingard, Henderson and Oxlade would probably look a bit too open - similar to when we go with Pogba, Matic and Lingard.

However, I think they key difference was the fact that Southgate played 3 at the back, which allowed Lingard and Oxlade to get forward, knowing they had more than enough protection behind them.

The two were constantly making runs in behind and popping up in between lines.

It's somewhat similar to when we played Arsenal away.

We constantly had an attacking quartet, with Lingard, Pogba, Martial and Lukaku.

Going forward, I'd like to see Lingard in that advanced 8 position, not only for England, but for United too. He has all the tools to do well there, and is becoming a consistent goal threat.

haram

Surprised there isn’t more posts about him since his winning goal last night. He loves a winning goal.

Might sound controversial but people seem to be ready to jump in this thread when he has a bad game, not so much when he is continuously performing well.

I admit I was quick to criticise him at the beginning of the season, but he is quicky becoming my favourite player.
I think people are used to him scoring now. All of this isn't just a fluke, he is a very good player.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
(...)
Going forward, I'd like to see Lingard in that advanced 8 position, not only for England, but for United too. He has all the tools to do well there, and is becoming a consistent goal threat.
I agree. He is more of an 8 than a 10 if you consider his abilities. I remember Louis van Gaal deployed him as an 8 in a game against Norwich. Worked well.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

On paper, a midfield of Lingard, Henderson and Oxlade would probably look a bit too open - similar to when we go with Pogba, Matic and Lingard.

However, I think they key difference was the fact that Southgate played 3 at the back, which allowed Lingard and Oxlade to get forward, knowing they had more than enough protection behind them.

We constantly had an attacking quartet, with Lingard, Pogba, Martial and Lukaku.

I don't think we need to play a back three to get that kind of tune out of our squad. We do need a better defence though. No way can we achieve that when Eric Bailly is our only really good defender. Except for him (and maybe Marcos Rojo when fully fit and playing at centre half) our defence is Europa League level tops. We are blessed to have De Gea behind that run of the mill lot.

Sterling Archer

It's not controversial mate . The vitriol aimed towards him, though im sure was mostly just general misery of our fans, was pretty excessive. For all this pretense of wanting our academy products to be played, there is very little from the online community in terms of patience and moral support for a youngster when he's developing, going thru bad form or just inconsistent. I think the focusing on negatives is more reflective reflecting the way the internet has morphed than anything. In any case, I'm really pleased with his England performance. That big moment penchant of his is quite handy for a tournament like the WC.

GeorgieBoy

He's been really good for quite a while now, but still seems to be the butt of jokes, particularly from opposition fans.

Brightonian

He's been really good for quite a while now, but still seems to be the butt of jokes, particularly from opposition fans.
That's interesting. Speaking only in terms of the oppo fans I know, they basically had no idea he existed until this purple patch, and now he's a player they don't seem to know very much about except that he's playing really well and has a knack for spectacular goals. It's only really United fans (and the sort of City and Liverpool fans who pay an unhealthy amount of attention to our players) who got to know him as a target for ribbing.

Canagel

I agree. The Arsenal and Watford games really stand out and the front three of Lingard, Lukaku and Martial were really causing teams a lot of problem. It suits both Lingard and martial as they both like to come infield and link up the play as shown in the 2nd goal at the Emirates. Lingard performed really well at Watford in the 2-1 game as well where Bastian scored the winner . The formation that day? 3-5-2. Lingard and Memphis uptop. It worked really well in periods. Basically Lingard isn't good enough to be number 10 or a winger in 4-2-3-1 formation. In the 3 at the back formation the Pogba, Matic and Lingard midfield can work perfectly but we don't train with it enough. That's the problem. The Arsenal game we were dominated for 80 minutes and De Gea kept us in it . It needs some practice on the training ground. When we attacked though we looked like scoring every time. The best I've seen us going forward this season as a unit was those Watford and Arsenal games. 7 goals away from home. We need some ball playing defenders as well. Smalling and Jones aren't going to cut it if we want to use 3 at the back. I'm not saying we have to use the 3 full time. We can make any formation work but the players we have in attack work better with this formation

Web of Bissaka

Hmm, I'm still not convinced with Messe playing as CM #8, but love to be proven wrong. Jose seems to be grooming him there though. Still think his best play comes from CAM #10. Looking solely at his football qualities and traits, yea he "can" play there and potentially could be "that good", but so far his performances playing that position and role is just not convincing enough yet.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Take it I’m the only one who thinks he’s very average.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
glad to see him doing well... How was Ali's last season in terms of numbers btw?

Considering Ali being one fo the two focal points, starting often as a second striker, Lingard seems to be doing really great being just a squad player for Mourinho, deployed way deeper and having a great record too

Walters_19_MuFc

glad to see him doing well... How was Ali's last season in terms of numbers btw?

Considering Ali being one fo the two focal points, starting often as a second striker, Lingard seems to be doing really great being just a squad player for Mourinho, deployed way deeper and having a great record too
League:

Dele Alli - 2016/17

3045 mins - 18 goals 7 assists

This season:

Jesse Lingard

1395 mins - 8 goals 4 assists

Dele Alli

2453 mins - 6 goals 9 assists

Red00012

I agree. He is more of an 8 than a 10 if you consider his abilities. I remember Louis van Gaal deployed him as an 8 in a game against Norwich. Worked well.
There’s a pattern forming ..remember when pogba played in the left v Everton. That also worked well

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
What other players in similar positions do you think are very average?
Matt Richie, James Morrison, Tom Cleverley, Pedro, Ox, Albrighton, Herrera. Not all the same positions but think all these guys are decent players but not great.

Status
Not open for further replies.