5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prongsy

Basically, you're saying Lingard is the best Lingard that England have had in the last 15 years. I'd go one step further: he's the best Lingard they ever had!
haha. sure. in all seriousness, I meant Lingard is very technically skilled and really is a perfect footballer that would suit the kind of football most top teams are trying to play. He has flair, and imagination, and all technical skills, but in spite of that, he wouldn't waste 10 seconds with the ball, unless he really has to to push his team. Lallana could possibly be that good in a similar area of the pitch, but he has been unlucky and some would say is more versatile and obviously will have a good impact with England hopefully in the next euros. Apart from that, genuinely can't remember an english number 10 who knows what is better for the team constantly at least since 2002ish(since I've watched every england squads in big tournaments) and also can adapt and survive with how unforgiving the level of football can be when you look at teams like spain and germany being able to do.

But nothing about this was about whether he was a better footballer than A or B. He brings things which no other current player or recently retired players were able to bring. That is not a complete hyperbolic thing to say, however stupidly it was put by the person saying it :P

GM K

I said this a long time ago: Lingard will outlast and outshine Martial. Attitude and work rate are massively underrated in this fickle football age where fans are easily captivated by sporadic displays of jaw dropping technical skills.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I said this a long time ago: Lingard will outlast and outshine Martial. Attitude and work rate are massively underrated in this fickle football age where fans are easily captivated by sporadic displays of jaw dropping technical skills.
More importantly, Lingard has far better footballing fundamentals. I have maintained that Lingard has been our second best forward due to his all round game being very mature. He has added goals to his game, which with his midfield qualities makes him a good player.

Lingard has 'talent', because everyone from the squad says that Lingard is very stylish and skillfull in training. But on the pitch, he focuses on helping the team instead of seeking personal glory.

Literally everyone in the footballing world rates Lingard. But some on here think he's a bang average player.

Classical Mechanic

Always been a big fan of Jesse. He had been poor for England and United recently but hopefully that will give him a confidence boost. I remember an interview with him in which he said that his goal in the FA Cup final was massive for him as it gave him the confidence to operate at the top level. Hopefully his great goal will have a similar effect as in the first game he looked nervous with his finishing.

I guess after a lifetime of people telling him he's too small and too weak he does question himself at times.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
If we play 433, do you prefer Lingard as RW or the most advanced CM in a midfield of 3 (Pogba position)?
Honestly, neither. It was when he was moved into the midfield three of a 433 that his form instantly dropped last season, and other than movement he doesn't really bring enough to the table. It maybe would work better if he were playing instead of Pogba rather than trying to fit them both in there (as long as Fred does work out as we hope), but I'd still be uncertain about it. It has been working quite well for England though...

As for playing on the right, he doesn't provide enough from there either IMO.

However, if we play 4231 he's still first choice for me in the number 10 role.

Alfie092

If Lingard became a regular 20 goal a season player would he be classified as world-class?

cyberman

So how long until we see the press tell us that Lingard needs to leave for the good of his career?
If we do sign a Bale then I can't see where he starts. He can be first rotation with the winger and Pogba but I can see it as last season where he had to play his way in at first.

cathari

If Lingard became a regular 20 goal a season player would he be classified as world-class?
No, every now and again he'll have a period out of form and will be regarded as championship level, again.

Last edited:

Verminator

I've been one of his most vocal supporters on here, and I'm happy to see him getting plaudits from all and sundry.
I was working and never saw the match until late last night, and after hearing all the MOTM talk, I was expecting something special from Jesse.
Apart from the worldie he scored, I thought he had an average game tbh.

I rate him higher than Alli anyway, so am happy he has the chance to shine, though Southgate is missing a trick by not playing Rashford instead of Sterling.
The Lingard/Rashford chemistry lifts both players to exceed their individual worth.
He picks Alli for his familiarity with Kane, even though it has yet to work for England.
Hopefully we get to see the United pair in the later stages, still with Kane, of course. Then we might see a proper MOTM performance from Jesse.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
In what is a poor league still? Think we are getting carried away he scored versus Panama. Jesse last season scored 3 goals this season he got into double figures lets see how he does next season. Hopefully we will have better players to aid him but that may mean he doesn't play as often. Still not convinced about him as a united regular but hopefully he proves me wrong. In fact I would love it but as said not convinced.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I've been one of his most vocal supporters on here, and I'm happy to see him getting plaudits from all and sundry.
I was working and never saw the match until late last night, and after hearing all the MOTM talk, I was expecting something special from Jesse.
Apart from the worldie he scored, I thought he had an average game tbh.

I rate him higher than Alli anyway, so am happy he has the chance to shine, though Southgate is missing a trick by not playing Rashford instead of Sterling.
The Lingard/Rashford chemistry lifts both players to exceed their individual worth.
He picks Alli for his familiarity with Kane, even though it has yet to work for England.
Hopefully we get to see the United pair in the later stages, still with Kane, of course. Then we might see a proper MOTM performance from Jesse.
A lot of the most excessive praise seemed to be from the commentators at the stadium, who were presumably seeing movement and runs that weren't being shown on the tv coverage. He's a player whose value is most obvious to people who are actually at the game.

Alfie092

I love Jesse! Hope he establishes himself in as a permanent fixture in our first choice lineup next season. His movement is absolutely fantastic, and he has some absolute screamers in his locker. Just needs to become a more consistent finisher to be good for 10+ league goals every season.
With his ability to strike the ball from distance and the way he can find space to get into goal scoring positions, I really do hope he can become a regular 15-20 goals a season player.

Verminator

In what is a poor league still? Think we are getting carried away he scored versus Panama. Jesse last season scored 3 goals this season he got into double figures lets see how he does next season. Hopefully we will have better players to aid him but that may mean he doesn't play as often. Still not convinced about him as a united regular but hopefully he proves me wrong. In fact I would love it but as said not convinced.
And yet, when he was going through his so called "purple patch" you avoided this thread like the plague.
I don't believe you at all.
In fact, I'm stunned to see you here now.

Lawman

Brilliant to see an United academy product showing the world his talents.

Well done Jesse.
Agree and ex players also, united for all the stick from folk like Redknapp and co United produce a hell of a lot of players playing in the premiership from our academy. When compared to the other top 4/5 we are miles ahead at producing young players.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Honestly, neither. It was when he was moved into the midfield three of a 433 that his form instantly dropped last season, and other than movement he doesn't really bring enough to the table. It maybe would work better if he were playing instead of Pogba rather than trying to fit them both in there (as long as Fred does work out as we hope), but I'd still be uncertain about it. It has been working quite well for England though...

As for playing on the right, he doesn't provide enough from there either IMO.

However, if we play 4231 he's still first choice for me in the number 10 role.
If Pogba was comfortable in a double pivot we could go back to playing 4-2-3-1 with Jesse as #10. However, because Pogba prefers to play in a three man midfield that means Jesse has to play inside right for us. Its a role he can do, especially if he and Lukaku are in sync and swapping positions. However, its not something he thrives at particularly. Especially if you're relying on him taking players on and getting crosses into Rom. That's not really Jesse's game.

So how long until we see the press tell us that Lingard needs to leave for the good of his career?
If we do sign a Bale then I can't see where he starts. He can be first rotation with the winger and Pogba but I can see it as last season where he had to play his way in at first.
If he scores more goals in this tournament the English press will be crying out for him to leave United, claiming Jose is destroying him. :rolleyes:

Siorac

A lot of the most excessive praise seemed to be from the commentators at the stadium, who were presumably seeing movement and runs that weren't being shown on the tv coverage. He's a player whose value is most obvious to people who are actually at the game.
True. And he has a LOT to improve when he's actually on the ball. That's where most people have an issue with him.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
True. And he has a LOT to improve when he's actually on the ball. That's where most people have an issue with him.
Not sure a "LOT" is fair, considering his stats from the season just gone. He does need to get better at converting the simple chances but there's been more than enough evidence of his quality on the ball for United and England.

Robbie Boy

Jose has done wonders with him, it's great to see. His output was frustrating as feck before last season but he really kicked on.

Lawman

And yet, when he was going through his so called "purple patch" you avoided this thread like the plague.
I don't believe you at all.
In fact, I'm stunned to see you here now.
I stayed out the thread due to a ban to be fair. I don't rate Jesse (as a starter) but by god id love it if he proved me wrong. I support Jesse as soon as the match starts just like I do with Mata Rojo Darmain and Herrera (other guys I don't think are united regular material). That you don't believe me is neither here nor there mate. I love united and anything that is good for us is good for me and vice versa. But this is a forum so stating my opinion is what this place is all about. I do get some wrong we all do but yet to be convinced about Jesse and i was the same with Cleverly and Gibson and eventually Anderson. Forlan and Rossi I rated highly but in the end it was correct they moved on, but their quality was obvious. I struggle to see this with Jesse but time will tell.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Yeah I think 2-3 seasons of that, especially important goals would probably put him there or in the bracket just below. I think he can become a very good player but world class might be bridge too far.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Aye, he's given MOTM by quite a few English journalist. I watched the match on TV and he was England's best player to be honest. Kane scored a hattrick but two of them were penalties.

meamth

Would be interesting when Alli is fit again, will he be the furthest in midfield or be pushed to the left.

tomaldinho1

Aye, he's given MOTM by quite a few English journalist. I watched the match on TV and he was England's best player to be honest. Kane scored a hattrick but two of them were penalties.
And the other was a deflection from Loftus Cheek's shot.

Lingard also won one of the penalties Kane scored.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Does he? I think many people are still expecting him to perform like a traditional wide man. He doesn’t need to have the ability to beat his man at a whim, because 9/10 he’s already lost him. This seasons he’s more often than not made the right choice with the ball at his feet. His movement really is world class.

Lawman

Yeah I think 2-3 seasons of that, especially important goals would probably put him there or in the bracket just below. I think he can become a very good player but world class might be bridge too far.
World class would mean he'd have to improve ten fold on the ball also. Alli scores around 20 goals and so does Sterling but none of them are anywhere near world class. Thus is not a dig at any them just the reality. Plus everyone has a different take on world class mine personally is picking two teams today to play each other (anyone left out these 11s are only arguably world class in my opinion). But I do get there are occasions where we may have 3 or 4 players for different positions that is down to personal opinion and that's fine. But looking at the players ahead of Jesse then he's a million miles of the likes of a Griezmann or a James or a Hamsik imo. To be honest I'm not sure he'd get a regular game for any the other top 4 never mind world class.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Lingard should probably look to someone like Müller when it comes to plotting his future progression.

Müller is another player who was often (and still is at times) written off for not looking like a proper footballer, but his insane productivity shut a lot of people up.

Lingard got 13 goals for United last season, so no reason why he can’t look at becoming a regular 15 goal a season player.

I see him as a more advanced Michael Carrick in many ways - his presence helps to facilitate better team performance.

KM

That's bullshit to be fair. Ribery, Hazard, Isco have never scored 20 goals in a season. Are/were they never world class?

Feed Me

I'm hungry
That's bullshit to be fair. Ribery, Hazard, Isco have never scored 20 goals in a season. Are/were they never world class?
Sadly we live in a statistically driven football culture. It’s amazing anyone rates Iniesta actually...

If we do reduce it down to numbers, then Jesse should be aiming for 20 goals and assists combined.

That said, his constant movement is really important and can’t really be measured in numbers.

haram

He is a key player for England and is operating in similar areas to players with way more hype in Alli, Sterling and Rashford and is standing out. He deserves way more respect.

King.of.Red

Its this kind of reply that grinds more to be honest. I'm no lingard lover (I don't rate him) but if you're suggesting any united fan wants him to fail is just petty and stupid. Id love him to kick on and be our talisman but can only give our honest opinion. I want England beat (I'm Scottish) but personally I want every united player to excel is that so hard to believe? Plus if you are suggesting this then it falls two ways do you stay away when he puts in a poor performance? I certainly don't gloat when he does it more frustrates the living day lights out me especially when I see Rashford or Martial on the bench (who I rate higher) sorry I just found your post having the tone of a petty school kid.
Nah, I love being petty. :lol:
SHOOT! SHOOT! SHOOT! What a cool goal celebration by messi lingardinho! :drool:
Btw, it's your problem to rate Martial higher than lingard. Me? I only care players who always give his 100% on the pitch regardless as starter or from the bench. And that's Lingard.

Siorac

They are world class creators/playmakers. Even Lingard's biggest fan cannot claim that he excels at that. He's a very different player. What he's good at is being at the right place at the right time and doing the simple things and scoring great goals.

KM

They are world class creators/playmakers. Even Lingard's biggest fan cannot claim that he excels at that. He's a very different player. What he's good at is being at the right place at the right time and doing the simple things and scoring great goals.
Sounds like he's a great player. Who'd you compare Lingard to?

Siorac

Sounds like he's a great player. Who'd you compare Lingard to?
My first thought was Lampard but that's a bit lazy, mostly because of the good movement/goalscoring. Can't really think of a good comparison.

KM

My first thought was Lampard but that's a bit lazy, mostly because of the good movement/goalscoring. Can't really think of a good comparison.
Good job so we can't compare him to players who play in a similar position with him. Creating striker/central midfielders with him is obviously stupid due to the difference is positions.

Last edited:

Siorac

Good job so we can't create him to players who play in a similar position with him. Creating striker/central midfielders with him is obviously stupid due to the difference is positions.
I'm not sure what you're saying here to be honest. Create = compare? Is that some weird autocorrect?

Status
Not open for further replies.