Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I'm not sure what you're saying here to be honest. Create = compare? Is that some weird autocorrect?
Yeah feck auto correct, wanted to say compare ffs.

Siorac

Yeah feck auto correct, wanted to say compare ffs.
In that case: of course we can compare. Actually, now I come to think of it, the Thomas Müller comparison was a good one. They have similar strengths.

Ekeke

Just needs to be consistent. He had a good period last season for us too but ultimately went back to being too quiet. He might be a bit better next season with Fred trying a few passes in behind the defence

izzydiggler

He's a late developer obviously but has improved into a very decent player. Ultimately though, I don't see him ever being more than a squad option and IMO is an area of our team that could be hugely improved with (say a) Bale.

No shame in that whatsoever though and not everyone has to be 'world class' or whatever to contribute - it's a long season, and you aren't playing Real Madrid, Barca or Man City every week - beating the likes of Panama, Brighton or whomever is also very important and he's shown he can perfom and contribute, even in big games like cup finals.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Panama or not that finish would be unstoppable for any world class GK. If this tournament will help him in returning to strong form then he needs to play more.

England's style actually looks very entertaining with him.

An Irish Red

And there's my point....more about the dancing than the goal he's scored. The irony.
The goal (great that it was) is completely irrelevant when we're discussing how likable he is to rivals.

I don't care if he dances when he scores but it would certainly annoy rival fans. That's just common sense (see Griezmann or Sturridge for other examples).

Litch

The goal (great that it was) is completely irrelevant when we're discussing how likable he is to rivals.

I don't care if he dances when he scores but it would certainly annoy rival fans. That's just common sense (see Griezmann or Sturridge for other examples).
Yep, and long may it continue to annoy 'rival' fans.....

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Wow, let's wait til the world cup is over before declaring him our savior. Great goal, good performance. Against Panama.

Don't forget the rather barren patch for the last 2 months of the season for United.

One match really shouldn't sway opinions this much. Useful squad player.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Wow, let's wait til the world cup is over before declaring him our savior. Great goal, good performance. Against Panama.

Don't forget the rather barren patch for the last 2 months of the season for United.

I don’t think it is. It’s the several matches he’s played for England where we are seeing the fruits of his labours that has convinced people.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

I think it's clear he suits the 3-5-2 formation, that was when his "Purple" patch came.

the usual 4-2-3-1 is too spread out and he suffers, but in the 3-5-2 the players are much closer together in the middle and it suits his pass / move style. He's great at making those 3rd man runs also, when having 2 strikers ahead it helps take up the defenders attention.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
I think it's clear he suits the 3-5-2 formation, that was when his "Purple" patch came.

the usual 4-2-3-1 is too spread out and he suffers, but in the 3-5-2 the players are much closer together in the middle and it suits his pass / move style. He's great at making those 3rd man runs also, when having 2 strikers ahead it helps take up the defenders attention.
Don't think it is truth that formation affects his performance that much. He's great in other systems too. The important thing for Lingard is that he plays centrally and have some freedom to make runs. He would thrive for us in a griezmann role for example but his technical ability or level or reputation is not big enough to be trusted but his good allround game will make him a usefull player in more positions. I think he's average as RW though and slightly bellow his top level as b2b, even though southgate uses him a lot there because he's disciplined. He was certainly good against Panama and for England in his new role for England but he's even better when he's more advanced. Looks a bit underutilized there in midfield but good that he's getting games at WC for England, who would have thought few years back. He will get more confidence and very valuable experience.

I think for us he should be used next to Pogba or even slightly more advanced with Pogba being a more playmaker from deep with an occasional run with Matic/Fred/Herrera sitting covering hovering the defense - basically 4-3-3 with all action midfield if not using Matic

tomaldinho1

Anyone's listened to Scholsey's interview re Southgate letting Lingard flourosh & having more faith in him than Mou?

If the quotes I've read are accurate it's probably time Scholes just gave up on punditry because it's so misinformed and petty, I'm a bit embarassed for him. Mou has developed Lingard beyond recognition (he became Messi LinGod this season ffs) and this season's form has earnt him the England call up....

El Zoido

Anyone's listened to Scholsey's interview re Southgate letting Lingard flourosh & having more faith in him than Mou?

If the quotes I've read are accurate it's probably time Scholes just gave up on punditry because it's so misinformed and petty, I'm a bit embarassed for him. Mou has developed Lingard beyond recognition (he became Messi LinGod this season ffs) and this season's form has earnt him the England call up....
And he’s played better for United than he has for England. I didn’t see those comments from Scholes but if they’re true, it clearly highlights an agenda.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Yeah, read it 2-3 days back, Scholes couldn't have been more wrong.

Jose showed lot of trust in Lingard and Lingard's game has improved a lot.

Ban

Heard it and it's downright embarrassing and not true at all. Lingard has had great time under Jose and it seems Scholes had a dig at him just for the sake of it. There are enough sticks to beat Jose with, Lingard form and Jose's faith not being one of them..

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Btw was watching his top 10 goals (posted by Manutd youtube account), he has scored few great goals.

Don't think anyone has scored more goals from outside the box than Lingard (for ManUtd) in last 2 seasons.

Canagel

Wtf... :houllier: Scholes has personal issues with Mourinho I think because Lingard is probably the only attacking player that has progressed under Mourinho. You can say this about Martial and Rashford but not Lingard.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
The one in ten in man, proves me right again. He was poor again, thank God he wasn’t taking a pen!!

Last edited:

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
If you think Lingard was poor today I guess you must have watched an entirely different match from Southgate and I.
Yes because he was brilliant, with his off the ball movement and stuff that can’t be realistically judged. He was crap.

marktan

Excellent movement, one of the best, but still lacks that bit of technical skill in the final third. Many times a better shot or better pass from him and itd be a goal.

AR87

Excellent movement, one of the best, but still lacks that bit of technical skill in the final third. Many times a better shot or better pass from him and itd be a goal.
Agreed. His attacking contribution today wasn't great but he impressed me defensively in what looked like a midfield 3 alongside Henderson and Alli was immense.

He made a sprint in extra time to cover for Trippier after he was dispossessed when England looked open on the counter.

Kostov

If you think Lingard was poor today I guess you must have watched an entirely different match from Southgate and I.
I don't want to jump on Lingard's back after the entire England team looked pretty uninspiring, but not sure how can that performance be described as anything different than poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.