Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Moscow 1:4 Man Utd

el3mel

He's a nice player to have till you ask him to score a goal. He can move the ball very well, move everywhere on the pitch but him in front of the goal and ask him to score and he'll fail you 10 times out of 10.

Devil may care

15 seconds! Shame he didn't finish as his first touch was spot on, decent outing all round though.

Sylar

I think thats always been one of his biggest flaws, his finishing. He gets into good positions, makes the right runs, but is not composed enough in front of goal enough.

Man Utd 4:0 Crystal Palace

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Anyone noticed that when he comes in, our attacking play stops? And he is supposedly good for counters and etc...
He is just there to fulfill the number of players on the pitch. Like in childhood when you are a player short on school playground and you pick some little kid just to stand there.

Kostov

Just Lingard being himself, good at running and chasing balls around, when it comes to playing football he's got very little to offer. He will eventually be upgraded with a better option in the squad.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Best thing he did was off the ball. Good run to the near post to pull Delaney away to leave Lukaku with all the time to slot in the 4th.

Other than that, and blazing over, I can't remember anything he did.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He was ok, should have scored that chance though, he's not clinical enough.
This is my biggest problem with him. He is always playing on safe and that is why people say; "he was ok". For you it is ok performance when attacking player does not do anything in attack( goal, assist, dribble)? So if winger just runs around and doesn't feck up anything it is ok? Imagine that rashford, martial and mikhi also playing like that. It would be 0.0 every game.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
What exactly does he offer. He's certainly not a number 10 or winger or any sort of attacker. Should never have been given that contract.

JohnnyKills

What exactly does he offer. He's certainly not a number 10 or winger or any sort of attacker. Should never have been given that contract.
He was given the contract because he's a home-grown English player mate. The PL requirements mean they're gold dust. Plus it was a great way to spread discontent at other clubs!

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I hate criticising him. He is what he is.
Anytime I see him in front of goal, my heart rate never changes.
We might as well have the ball on the halfway line.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If his finishing was good, he would be a really good player, but he's poor at it. He's turning 25 soon, I thought he would really kick on this season. Still time for that I guess.

OneUnited24

Just Lingard being himself, good at running and chasing balls around, when it comes to playing football he's got very little to offer. He will eventually be upgraded with a better option in the squad.
Personally i would like to see a front 4 of Lingard, Rashford, Martial and Lukaku. Say what you will about Lingard but he offers good movement and usually takes players out of position.

Also did he get the assist for Lukukas goal yesterday? I thought he got a slight touch on it... Would be a shame for Martial!

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Personally i would like to see a front 4 of Lingard, Rashford, Martial and Lukaku. Say what you will about Lingard but he offers good movement and usually takes players out of position.

Also did he get the assist for Lukukas goal yesterday? I thought he got a slight touch on it... Would be a shame for Martial!
Was recorded as a Martial assist.

Oscie

No issues with Lingard being in the squad but out of all the outfield players who we have he's probably the worst of the lot by some considerable distance. At the top level with top players he's a barely average player and that's when he plays well. But I'm not calling for him to be replaced, we can't have all superstars on the bench. Not even sure the manager would want to have all superstars on the bench. He does his role well enough but his role is of a barely average squad player who'll step in from time to time when needs must.

As others have identified, he's a fairly nondescript player; there isn't anything he exceeds at or does particularly well. Sometimes in a utility player that's a positive though. But Lingard isn't a Jack of all trades. He's Jack's ex-wife's best friend who used to sometimes sit in for Jack at low-attended public appearances.

Mr.Plow

I wonder what's suddenly made Jose limit his game time? He was starting game after game last season and it's not like we've brought anyone in on the RW.

I know the simple answer is that he's shite but Jose didn't seem to appreciate that last season.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
His talents needs to be reflected this season in terms of statistical number. More assist and far more clinical finishing could see him provide just a good an option off the bench as either Rashford or Martial both of whom are far superior starting options at this stage. Jeese can play his part and I'm glad to have him as a squad member as tactically players like him are essential to a squad, however he needs to start putting up more numbers statistically for all to really see his worth.

JoaquinJoaquin

I wonder what's suddenly made Jose limit his game time? He was starting game after game last season and it's not like we've brought anyone in on the RW.

I know the simple answer is that he's shite but Jose didn't seem to appreciate that last season.
My honest opinion (apart from Lingard being poor technically) is that Jose has finally realised how much more of a force attacking wise we are without him in the team and with the others who deliver on the attacking end. I think one of people's main criticisms of Jose last year was his over reliance on the likes of Lingard who shouldn't be started and I was shocked at how long he tried to persevere with it, but even Fergie would have his times of doing similar type things. I'm just happy he has changed it and we have looked so much better for it.

Andersons Dietician

Anyone noticed that when he comes in, our attacking play stops? And he is supposedly good for counters and etc...
He is just there to fulfill the number of players on the pitch. Like in childhood when you are a player short on school playground and you pick some little kid just to stand there.
I'd sort of agree. I think his problem is that he moves about too much. When we played against Burnley and he came on he pretty much was never in position to link midfield and the attack which was his job. He has too much energy for his own good. As a defensive player that is great but until he learns when to do it in attack, where and when to run he makes us a little disjointed and screws up the flow of our attacking play.

RonW

The ball went between his feet. A lot of people are also saying he made the space for Lukaku to score :lol:

Kostov

Personally i hope he gets replaced eventually, i have nothing against Lingard, I've been saying from the start that he's not good enough to be even a squad player here. He's a hard worker and local kid, but good movement and lots of running can't be enough to play as an attacker at this club.

Hopefully we replace him with another player from the youth system, it looks like a natural thing to do.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

Rashford and Martial not pulling up trees last season probably contributed to Jose giving him opportunities last season, with both of those in form this season though Lingard shouldn’t be getting a look in

Galactico

He gets into good positions but falls over too much for my liking. He spends more time face down on the pitch than not.

meninred

I am sorry but I don't have a positive opinion about Lingaard. I believe he is more of a mid table team player.

Home&Away

People want a God damn Di Maria to replace lingard & be happy to play the amount of games lingard is playing :rolleyes:

yfoFC

I might be in the minority but I do want him to remain part of the squad and not shipping him off

He has his limitations and as long as we recognise that and keep him as a squad player then he won't do us much damage by starting ahead of more talented players

He's English and I still want our club to retain some English players which is why I'm hesitant about the thought of selling smalling, basically if he can come on in the lesser cups and is happy with his sub roles then I'm happy with him remaining in the squad

Reactions: Raoul

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I might be in the minority but I do want him to remain part of the squad and not shipping him off

He has his limitations and as long as we recognise that and keep him as a squad player then he won't do us much damage by starting ahead of more talented players

He's English and I still want our club to retain some English players which is why I'm hesitant about the thought of selling smalling, basically if he can come on in the lesser cups and is happy with his sub roles then I'm happy with him remaining in the squad
He's a decent squad player - and Mourinho obviously rates him otherwise he wouldn't have resigned him and continue to play him during his time here.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
He's virtually never injured and can play multiple positions.

He's the type of squad player that most clubs would love to have.

He's not good enough to be a regular first team starter but there aren't many better back up players around than him.

Robbie Boy

He's virtually never injured and can play multiple positions.

He's the type of squad player that most clubs would love to have.

He's not good enough to be a regular first team starter but there aren't many better back up players around than him.
Exactly. He's fine as a squad player so I have no idea why some are still complaining. He's actually had a-few decent cameos this season.

The issue was when he was a regular starter people were pissed off and rightly so as he isn't good enough to be one. But as a squad player he's fine.

Kostov

The thing is Smalling is a much better CB than Lingard is at whatever position he plays (winger or number 10). Playing as little as he has been this season he can't do much damage, but eventually you need the squad players to contribute through the season, and the reality is Lingard offers very little.

While we can't have superstars sitting on the bench, i'm sure we can do better.

Classical Mechanic

Mourinho brings him in late in games because he never gives the ball away and his movement occupies defenders.

I have no problem with Lingard. He is an academy graduate who does what Mourinho needs him to do. He has a habit of scoring in cup finals too.

Status
Not open for further replies.