5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Water Melon

Mourinho brings him in late in games because he never gives the ball away and his movement occupies defenders.

I have no problem with Lingard. He is an academy graduate who does what Mourinho needs him to do. He has a habit of scoring in cup finals too.
The most accurate description for me. Useful player, good to have.

VanTastic_

I personally think that he is a fine squad player who cost the club nothing in the grand scheme of things. I wouldn't be against an upgrade but the way Rashford and Martial are playing, he's only getting 5-10 mins cameos here and there with the odd cup start. That's fine by me as I doubt many players who are above Lingard's level would agree to play second fiddle to a 19 and 21 years old.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Mourinho brings him in late in games because he never gives the ball away and his movement occupies defenders.

I have no problem with Lingard. He is an academy graduate who does what Mourinho needs him to do. He has a habit of scoring in cup finals too.
This is very true and his movement especially is under-rated and useful but feck me, he's getting paid £100k a week for THAT.

Sterling Archer

This is very true and his movement especially is under-rated and useful but feck me, he's getting paid £100k a week for THAT.
You're getting an appropriate amount of stick for the salary comment. But moving away from correlating the pay to performance or ability, why not consider sports as a whole. This is what happens when you play in a highly marketed league for England's most successful team. It's pro sports. You get paid lavish amounts for being a substitute.

If anything, there should be more outrage at salaries at a club like Spurs or Arsenal for not being on par with other top teams in the league.

yfoFC

He's a decent squad player - and Mourinho obviously rates him otherwise he wouldn't have resigned him and continue to play him during his time here.

Yeah, I'm actually grateful he's here as he seems content with his limited gametime and we need those sort of players in the team and if Jose didn't rate him enough to play a part for us then he'd have gotten the delay, schnerdelin et all treatment

yfoFC

The thing is Smalling is a much better CB than Lingard is at whatever position he plays (winger or number 10). Playing as little as he has been this season he can't do much damage, but eventually you need the squad players to contribute through the season, and the reality is Lingard offers very little.

While we can't have superstars sitting on the bench, i'm sure we can do better.
That's the thing though, he has supplied 1 goal and 3 assists this season so he's obviously doing more than "nothing". Last season he had a mare and I loathed seeing him in the starting line up but this season he has been used perfectly and I can't complain thus far

Any player better than him that we will replace him with will likely cause unrest when he demands more play time, I feel lingard is a gem as he's the right combination of having just enough talent to play from anywhere ranging from "okay to very good(at wembley :D)" plus the ego to accept his lot and not kick up a fuss

Smalling is an odd one as he's shown for 6 months that he has the talent to be a beast but based on the last 2 years or so, it wouldn't sound odd to call him the lingard of our defence who puts in a shift when others need to be rested

haram

His finishing is wank. Gets into good positions with his movement and then fecks it up.

roseguy64

I wonder what's suddenly made Jose limit his game time? He was starting game after game last season and it's not like we've brought anyone in on the RW.

I know the simple answer is that he's shite but Jose didn't seem to appreciate that last season.
The players he was playing ahead of finally improved their form

Kostov

That's the thing though, he has supplied 1 goal and 3 assists this season so he's obviously doing more than "nothing". Last season he had a mare and I loathed seeing him in the starting line up but this season he has been used perfectly and I can't complain thus far.
I'm not gonna go assist by assist and analyze his stats, the numbers don't look bad really, and generally he's played very few minutes. But stats are not the whole picture, i didn't base my opinion of him based on stats from last year or the year before.

Any player better than him that we will replace him with will likely cause unrest when he demands more play time, I feel lingard is a gem as he's the right combination of having just enough talent to play from anywhere ranging from "okay to very good(at wembley :D)" plus the ego to accept his lot and not kick up a fuss
I don't agree with that part. Chelsea have Willian and Pedro sitting on the bench, City have Sterling and B. Silva. For 120k a week, we can have an upgrade. Even better, those minutes we give to a 25 year old average at best Lingard, we can give to some of our younger lads, who might still prove good enough.

Smalling is an odd one as he's shown for 6 months that he has the talent to be a beast but based on the last 2 years or so, it wouldn't sound odd to call him the lingard of our defence who puts in a shift when others need to be rested
Smalling has shown that he's a very good defender, a beast as you said. We could hardly have a better CB back-up than him. Lingard has never left me with that kind of an impression. I wouldn't call him the Lingard of our defense, but that's just my opinion.

AR87

I'm sure people will get upset about this, but I think how Southgate used him yesterday and how Jose used him against Everton are appropriate. He's not a dynamic playmaker, but what he does provide is a constant outlet and option when in possession. He's always moving and making himself available which, when you're struggling to get hold of a game, has value.

It's not always about getting in a superior attacking threat, but that at times bringing in a player that will simply allow you to hold onto the ball adds a lacking dimension. Mata is better at this than him, but Lingard is quicker, more energetic and better at pressing and tracking back as well, so late in games I can see why Mourinho views him as a viable option.

RonW

I may get stick for saying this, but does anyone see Lingard gaining a bit of weight in a few years and becoming our Young or Valencia in LWB or RWB? He has a decent cross, and he won't be tracked and have more free movement coming from the back. Nobody would have figured Young and Valencia could play in defense before a couple of years so who knows?

yfoFC

I may get stick for saying this, but does anyone see Lingard gaining a bit of weight in a few years and becoming our Young or Valencia in LWB or RWB? He has a decent cross, and he won't be tracked and have more free movement coming from the back. Nobody would have figured Young and Valencia could play in defense before a couple of years so who knows?
Well that seems to be the position limited wingers end up towards the end of their careers especially at Man Utd so it's a valid line of thought.

The more I think about it the more it makes sense to me but I positively cringe at the bedding in period for him to learn the positional awareness required of a full back. It took Valencia quite some time to get used to it, it's all hypothetical right now but I see a similar learning curve in store for lingard if he does make the switch

Bwuk

Valencia and Young were both wingers, it's debatable whether Lingard is or isn't. I personally think he'd be best at #10 but he won't play that in our team.

Gibb11

Think he started wingback in our first game of the season home against Swansea in one of the Van Gaal years, looked promising IIRC but got injured unfortunately, sure it was the game Young swallowed some shit literally.

Treble

Once Zlatan comes back, he may struggle to make the group.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
He has Welbeck levels of finishing, how spurs get away with paying Kane £120k a week and we could only negotiate a £100k a week contract for Lingard is beyond me.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Think he started wingback in our first game of the season home against Swansea in one of the Van Gaal years, looked promising IIRC but got injured unfortunately, sure it was the game Young swallowed some shit literally.
Yup, you're correct on all accounts. Think Lingard was ruled out for the rest of that season.

luke511

Don't think he touched the ball once, suppose it wasn't his fault though.

Oscie

Don't think he touched the ball once, suppose it wasn't his fault though.
Yeah it's wrong to make him any kind of a scapegoat for this.

That said it's another 'came on and nobody noticed' performance. Whilst this game in particular wasn't his fault, it's been a trend for quite a while with him.

ti vu

He did press well when he came on (better than Mikhi), but that's it. There was nothing to play the way the game was going when he came on, and expectation of his quality for this type of game.

Last edited:

criticalanalysis

Thought he did 'well' when he came on.

He probably should have started ahead of Young or came on for him or for Miki earlier.

These are his kind of games where he doesn't let the occassion get to him and plays to his strengths, which namely means being a busy body, getting the ball on the ground and playing passes into feet.

Young does what Young does, puts in a shift but not doing much else individually (unless he can get into positions to cross), which is not a slight on him but Lingard would have offered more midfield control.

He probably deserves some game time here and there.

JoaquinJoaquin

Like I said in the match day thread, everytime Lingard starts we have the same issue 'lack of creativity'. They go hand in hand now. Worst thing is he isn't even playing bad, he just isn't good enough technically to win us games.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
What is he offering? Where is he playing? What is his much celebrated 'movement' helping with?

It's not just his fault, but the number of issues being created when our midfield look up and just can't find something to do with the ball...has to at least partly be on him.

mewnew11

What does he bring to the attack ???. He starts as a number 10???? Does nothing just runs around . I can't believe he is a Manchester United player. I'd play djemba djemba ahead of him

AndyJ1985

It's depressing that the backup to Mkhitaryan (another useless player) is this guy.

JoaquinJoaquin

We are two goals down not much to do with lingard really lol
The goals aren't, but like I said every time he plays we have the same issue which is a lack of creation. A lot of that lies on him. When he wasn't in the side is when we played our best football and I just knew today when I seen his name on the team sheet it was going to be the same again. His touches aren't bad but offers nothing.

Bojan11

I rather play with two strikers than have him as number 10 or on the wing.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Is he the most average 100k/wk player in the whole planet?

drdoityourself

Simply has no plan to attack. Moves around a lot but when he receives the ball he either hopes for a foul or passes to the nearest player. We will always struggle to create when he starts.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
Not a huge fan of Lingard's but he is not the reason for that shitshow. He was far from our worst player.

Crashoutcassius

The goals aren't, but like I said every time he plays we have the same issue which is a lack of creation. A lot of that lies on him. When he wasn't in the side is when we played our best football and I just knew today when I seen his name on the team sheet it was going to be the same again. His touches aren't bad but offers nothing.
We don't generally create anything until we have broken the dead lock and it is late in the game anyway. We get most of our openers either from a clinical lukaku moment or from a set play. We haven't looked extremely creative at 0-0 once in my mind this season, and if we have then maybe it has been once or twice

Status
Not open for further replies.