5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stactix

Nah he also played well in the last few weeks of Mourinhos first season in between those periods though Darmian was horseshit.
Which was my point, he had some good games dotted around but it's a common theme to just say 'Apart from those 5-6 games when he first signed he's been shyte'
He was excellent vs Palace with an assist / goal if I recall correctly.

As I said before, players that fans don't like, some fans exaggerate how bad they've been and minimise the good games as much as possible.
Players the fans like, it's the complete opposite milking the feck out of their good performances.

luke511

His high energy zippiness is a great thing, but if he can't be a consistent attacking output on the wing for us then it just doesn't work. Him having the ability to run all around the field and annoy the hell out of the opposition fits more to a defensive central position, or a winger for a defensive minded club like Burnley. You can turn round and say he's a squad player, but he's more than that for us evidently because he got 42 appearances last season averaging 56 minutes each. His end game is just not up to it to be a winger at a top club like us. He's had a good pre season I've give him that, but high energy players in pre season games always do.

Last edited:

Womp

idiot
He's looking good in pre-season, real good. Think he offers the team a lot, good squad player.

izzydiggler

In my view Jesse is perfect as a squad player, willing to work hard and can put in some great performances from time to time. As a starter, I still think he's a long way off but his work rate / off the ball movement is second to none in this Utd team.
I genuinely don't get this view that a lot of people seem to have. How can he be the 'perfect' squad player but far from being good enough for the first team? The squad game is about having good options for various situations.

I don't expect the bench to be full of seasoned world class talent or anything but working hard should be a prerequisite of any athlete, rather than something continually applauded and used as a justification for his inclusion in the team. Simply he needs to provide much more to be considered a good squad player. Also I keep reading how hard he works and you'd think he spent 90 mins rampaging across the field like Ji-Sung Park on speed...maybe it's just me but I just don't see it as a huge asset to the team's performance.

I wouldn't mind Lingard as a last resort but that's about it.

luke511

Only looked good in preseason, d'ya even watch Utd you fecking muppet.

Always one extreme or the other, It's funny the players people don't like or love it's always exggerated. Like Darmian only played well at the start of Van Gaals second season, which is horseshit. Or Januzaq was world class in Moyes season, which again is horseshit.

In my view Jesse is perfect as a squad player, willing to work hard and can put in some great performances from time to time. As a starter, I still think he's a long way off but his work rate / off the ball movement is second to none in this Utd team.
I'd say Mata is a perfect squad player for a club like us, not Lingard.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I genuinely don't get this view that a lot of people seem to have. How can he be the 'perfect' squad player but far from being good enough for the first team? The squad game is about having good options for various situations.

I don't expect the bench to be full of seasoned world class talent or anything but working hard should be a prerequisite of any athlete, rather than something continually applauded and used as a justification for his inclusion in the team. Simply he needs to provide much more to be considered a good squad player. Also I keep reading how hard he works and you'd think he spent 90 mins rampaging across the field like Ji-Sung Park on speed...maybe it's just me but I just don't see it as a huge asset to the team's performance.

I wouldn't mind Lingard as a last resort but that's about it.
Well you said it. Say Martial, who we love. We all know what he does, don't we? Runs with the ball, takes people on, cuts inside. Occasionally thrilling, often ineffective. Lingard's movement is completely different, high energy, more unpredictable, more variation. Undoubtedly also sometimes ineffective but whatever way you look at it, it is different to what our other attackers offer. The squad game, as you say is about options.

stevoc

Which was my point, he had some good games dotted around but it's a common theme to just say 'Apart from those 5-6 games when he first signed he's been shyte'
He was excellent vs Palace with an assist / goal if I recall correctly.

As I said before, players that fans don't like, some fans exaggerate how bad they've been and minimise the good games as much as possible.
Players the fans like, it's the complete opposite milking the feck out of their good performances.
Indeed some fans do that, on the flip side some others exaggerate the opposite way. Its why these performance threads become littered with extreme opinions, after any given game you will see ''brilliant performance'' followed by ''horrible performance'' to describe Fellaini or Lingard. When the truth more often than not is they've just been average.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
He's had a good pre-season. Let's hope it continues in a consistent form throughout the season. Jose clearly rates him.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I'd say Mata is a perfect squad player for a club like us, not Lingard.
Mata is so much more productive than Lingard, if I am not wrong he was even our second highest scorer last season while Lingard managed 1 League goal and 1 assist.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He definitely attracts extreme opinions! I'm biased because I like the lad. Always enjoy players doing well for us who've been at the club since they were very young. What I like about Jesse as a footballer is that, on his day, he makes things happen. Just needs to make sure that he's on his day more consistently.
He doesnt, that's the problem though. He does not score goals and does not provide assists. All his movement and workrate is great but if it's not in the final third, creating chance after chance, it does not help us much. He lacks a final ball badly and his stats last season were terrible for an attacking player. I have serious doubts he can improve that though

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
What is with this quoting just league stats? Done for many players. Why are people completely ignoring the fact we play in more than one competition. feck we even won 3 of them last season. If you're going to just throw around stats at least use them all instead of hand selecting them to look worse.

luke511

Mata is so much more productive than Lingard, if I am not wrong he was even our second highest scorer last season while Lingard managed 1 League goal and 1 assist.
Proving my point exactly, they both had exactly the same amount of appearances last season..

luke511

What is with this quoting just league stats? Done for many players. Why are people completely ignoring the fact we play in more than one competition. feck we even won 3 of them last season. If you're going to just throw around stats at least use them all instead of hand selecting them to look worse.
Using league stats is hardly hand selecting mate.. It's probably the most accurate method of measuring player performances as the level of competition is a lot more even, compared to say the league cup when you come up against teams like Northampton.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He doesnt, that's the problem though. He does not score goals and does not provide assists. All his movement and workrate is great but if it's not in the final third, creating chance after chance, it does not help us much. He lacks a final ball badly and his stats last season were terrible for an attacking player. I have serious doubts he can improve that though
Funny cos he seems to have the habit of scoring in big games.

Underrated player

villain

Hates Beyoncé
He's done well in pre-season so far, isn't that what everyone wants? :confused:

It seems like some fans prefer to moan about a players past performances, as justification for not giving them praise when they do, do well.
I'm convinced some people don't actually care if he improves, because they simply don't like him.

-copies & pastes into Jones & Smalling threads also

Home&Away

Not sure underrated is the word to use to describe an attacking player who scores one league goal in a season.
It definitely is a word that can be used for a player that LVG & Jose consistently uses.

I'd go far as to say not a single manager in the world would sell him willingly if they managed United because Lingard is a 'useful' player.

He is a player in my eyes that adds work to the engines of the team as a whole whenever he gets on to the pitch & when it comes to match by match tactics ; this is something that is needed sometimes in certain areas of the pitch. In that scenario mata or Mkhitaryan are wasted being talismanic players asked to do more simplistic jobs.

stevoc

That can't be right can it?

Smalling managed 1 goal and 1 assist last year and i'm sure he played less game than Lingard. Jesus, Jesse needs to vastly improve and quickly. Too many games just pass him by with him happy just to run about and not try harder to get involved.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Using league stats is hardly hand selecting mate.. It's probably the most accurate method of measuring player performances as the level of competition is a lot more even, compared to say the league cup when you come up against teams like Northampton.
It is because it is completely ignoring about 40% of his minutes played and 4 goals and an assist for Lingard. None of which were against lower league opposition and two of which were against PL teams and vital in winning us trophies. Just as it would be to completely disregard how important Mkhi was in Europe for us when judging his season.

Acole9

Outstanding
He's had another good pre season. I wish the fans would get off his back.

edcunited1878

This will be his 3rd full year in Premier League and second under Jose, so first time he's been with a manager in consecutive years at PL level. If he can contribute at least five goals and 10 assists, then he'd have a successful PL campaign. He's an inside forward more than out-right winger who could up a level by playing more direct on the counter with Lukaku and Mkhitaryan and/or Rashford.

kundalini

Injured after a completely anonymous performance. Had a really good tour up until this game.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Injured after a completely anonymous performance. Had a really good tour up until this game.
Aye, that was the game all players needed, especially Lingard. Hopefully we won't get ambushed in the CL after such intensive session.

Expect Real Madrid to be even less forgiving.

ManuMou

Started all 5 pre-season games. It seems like, without the new signing of Griezmann or Perisic, or more specifically a WF, he is very likely to be on the starting lineup most of the games nxt season ? Thats worrying me......

(Well I know Lingard Griezmann Perisic all play @ diff positions, but i believe if we sign Griez/Perisic Jose will adjust the system by kicking out Lingard, flexibly slot in versatile Mkhi to fit in Griez/Perisic)

Jose said he hope to sign 2 more players, which is expected to be a DM and WF. But he said he could probably only manage to sign one due to inflated market price. Here I believe it has to be WF rather than DM, simply becoz our attack is our weakest link.

So without the new signing of Perisic, Lingard is vry likely to start again, unless Martial step up. Without Perisic, our attack its gonna be dejavu all over again......

Thoughts ?

parkthebuslads

Well it's not rocket science is it? He has been one of our better players this preseason, simply by being semi competent. Sadly, it seems a common curse that managers lose a bit of bite as they get older, mediocrity becomes acceptable, so long as the player doesn't cause any drama.

RikRuud

Very happy to have him. He's earnt his place the hard way and he's an asset to the squad. Well done Jessie.

kundalini

Started all 5 pre-season games. It seems like, without the new signing of Griezmann or Perisic, or more specifically a WF, he is very likely to be on the starting lineup most of the games nxt season ? Thats worrying me......

(Well I know Lingard Griezmann Perisic all play @ diff positions, but i believe if we sign Griez/Perisic Jose will adjust the system by kicking out Lingard, flexibly slot in versatile Mkhi to fit in Griez/Perisic)

Jose said he hope to sign 2 more players, which is expected to be a DM and WF. But he said he could probably only manage to sign one due to inflated market price. Here I believe it has to be WF rather than DM, simply becoz our attack is our weakest link.

So without the new signing of Perisic, Lingard is vry likely to start again, unless Martial step up. Without Perisic, our attack its gonna be dejavu all over again......

Thoughts ?
I don't agree with your maths.

Lingard started 18 PL matches last season. Herrera, Pogba and Lukaku are likely starters. You then have a lot of players competing for the remaining 3 places in midfield/attack. Rashford is likely to get one place much of the time, perhaps 2/3. Mata, Mkhitaryan, Lingard, Martial, Fellaini, Pereira, Carrick + any new signings, will be competing for 2 places + matches when Rashford isn't selected (+ games when Pogba and Herrera unavailable). There will be few winners and several big losers amongst that group. I would have thought Jesse and Andreas Pereira would have to play brilliantly to get more than 20 PL starts during the season since neither is a big money signing (assuming we don't see several serious injuries in midfield/attack).

NoPace

Yeah, his inability to spot a pass is the real issue. He moves okay, can hit a ball and finds a way to get open off the ball but if you're a winger who doesn't score goals you really do need to be creating a lot of chances for others.

He's basically a mid-table Willian.

AndyJ1985

We're lucky to have a player who excels at running but is useless at creating chances and scoring goals. What a guy.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We're lucky to have a player who excels at running but is useless at creating chances and scoring goals. What a guy.
I agree not United standard for me. The same class of player as Tom Cleverley. Will eventually go to a mid table team then not get a game. For instance West Ham have better players than Lingard.

Godfather

Needs to produce. Simple as. His stats are woeful. His passing and movement is neat enough but doesn't count for much in the positions he plays in. We lack goals. He doesn't provide nearly enough of them.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
If we had a guy like Lanzini he'd do everything Lingard does with a few more goals and assists. I think the standards have dropped so much in our squad that anyone who can dribble a little and pass a ball accurately now and again is seen as underrated and one of our favourite players in the squad.

Kostur

海尔的老板
My biggest problem with Lingard is that the others like Martial or Miki aren't able to step up on consistent basis (and it's purely down to them) to displace him. Hardly his fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.