5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

kundalini

I also have Lingard down as our best player so far. Quite a few players have performed well in one 45 mins but been fairly quiet in the other match.

I do think he has benefited from facing opponents who perhaps aren't as strong as some PL players, noticeable that he gets pushed off the ball in quite a few PL games. Also we haven't been facing deep block defences, nor have key chances fallen to him.

Slightly off-topic, some of the stats guys had Lingard down as one of the league's most progressive passers last season according to their data, in amongst the big names like Ozil, Fabregas and Carrick. It surprised them but on reflection, I do think Jesse tries to be creative with his passing.

Last edited:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
He was always impressive in pre-season games, even when he was nowhere near our first team (in the regular season), he probably looks after himself better than the rest in holidays.

As always - lots of running, smart movement and one-twos but lacks the X-factor. Still, delighted for him

el3mel

The most frustrating thing about this lad is his lack of vision. I can count at least 3 times he had the ball and there was a free player in a space waiting for the pass but he chose to do a simple back pass or wait till losing the ball. He's always looking for the obvious not the hard choices which identifies the creative player from the ordinary one.

Anyway, he's a good squad option.

SATA

He will be a very good number 10 with his movement and solid dribbling ability. A pity he doesn't have an eye for the killer pass or the final ball if you like

JoaquinJoaquin

Probably our worst player in the first half. Standard Lingard really, easily losing possession and making poor decisions. I'll give him benefit of the doubt as he has been pretty good the first two games in pre season, but those were the ones against poor mls sides.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Probably our worst player in the first half. Standard Lingard really, easily losing possession and making poor decisions. I'll give him benefit of the doubt as he has been pretty good the first two games in pre season, but those were the ones against poor mls sides.
Hasnt that always been the problem? He struggles when he faces proper teams. If I look at his stats, they're just terrible

AdNani

Like everyone else actually. When was he a level or two above anyone else on the pitch? And as I said, he's just not productive enough to be a starter for us
Him and rashford were our two best players offensively.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
The most frustrating thing about this lad is his lack of vision. I can count at least 3 times he had the ball and there was a free player in a space waiting for the pass but he chose to do a simple back pass or wait till losing the ball. He's always looking for the obvious not the hard choices which identifies the creative player from the ordinary one.

Anyway, he's a good squad option.
Yup. He is a bit lacking in the final third. He drifts in from wide which is fine, but his secondary movement is not there consistently. Quite a few times you see him standing looking as the game goes on around him. He doesnt do what like Rashford does, wherever he moves he is active in play - Lingard moves a lot but tends to be passive in the end. When you would really like him to offer more at a certain point in the game.

His work rate is great, a good lad and good energy. Just really needs to tighten his game if he can do, and do it across more of a game. Case in point, why Jose is looking at a lad like Perisic.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
He's generally fine up until the final third, if he can sort his decision making and composure in those areas I'd be delighted. He's till only 24 but the penny has to drop if he wants to be a starting player as opposed to a rotational one.

JoaquinJoaquin

He's generally fine up until the final third, if he can sort his decision making and composure in those areas I'd be delighted. He's till only 24 but the penny has to drop if he wants to be a starting player as opposed to a rotational one.
That's the problem though, He plays as one of our starting attackers with shocking stats to boot. I'm just hoping last night was a bad game and he has really worked hard in Summer for this coming season. Otherwise we simply will not achieve anything if he ends up playing at the same level as last season.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
That's the problem though, He plays as one of our starting attackers with shocking stats to boot. I'm just hoping last night was a bad game and he has really worked hard in Summer for this coming season. Otherwise we simply will not achieve anything if he ends up playing at the same level as last season.
I know that's the problem, that's what I said! :p

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He will be a very good number 10 with his movement and solid dribbling ability. A pity he doesn't have an eye for the killer pass or the final ball if you like
So a 10 with poor end quality and no vision? Great!

Dobbs

From the right he struggles with assists. If you can't beat a fullback on the outside and your crossing is just functional that'll always be the case. That though is why he's never been a right winger.

Playing centrally I think he'd offer much more. His output would be greater.

Robbie Boy

From the right he struggles with assists. If you can't beat a fullback on the outside and your crossing is just functional that'll always be the case. That though is why he's never been a right winger.

Playing centrally I think he'd offer much more. His output would be greater.
Well it can't be worse than it was last season.

AshRK

He is our weakest link . He has very little end product and it is like we are carrying a passenger. His fitness level is very good but I can't see us breaking teams.with lingard. I feel this is one are jose wants a new addition but ed and his team are saving their pennies. Give jose his player ED

Siorac

That's like saying a centre-back is great except around his own penalty area.

ike

Jesse is a funny player. The more hate I read on here for him the more I like and respect him and want him to succeed despite supporters trashing him every chance they get.

I understand he didn't have the best of matches last night but in games when players like Marital struggled to make any kind of impact and Mhyki was also a bit inconsistent as well, Jesse gets singled out as the cause of all our problems.
Not a big fan of his but he's still a United player, he's still only 24 and still learning his trade.

He's got what it takes to make it here. All that's really missing is Consistency, Football Brain and Vision. Some players are born with them, some need more coaching and some it takes a bit of maturity. Give him time before writing him off. Fletcher used to get the same criticism when he was 24 as well.

Dec9003

I seriously hope Lingard will be nowhere near the team next season. I want us to progress as a team and that means ridding ourselves of attacking players who are only capable of one league goal in a season.

legball

He's a competent squad player, and that's how he should be used.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
I seriously hope Lingard will be nowhere near the team next season. I want us to progress as a team and that means ridding ourselves of attacking players who are only capable of one league goal in a season.
You'll be disappointed then, because he will be.

Dec9003

You'll be disappointed then, because he will be.
I think we'll all end up disappointed if he starts as many as he did last season to be honest.

Stacks

He has been great and is more than just squad player now. Hope he keep going like this.
Not until he proves it in competitive matches. We used to beat Barcelona and Real in Friendlies. In the premier league, we had to wait 236 minutes per Lingard contribution (goal or assist). In the league he started 18 matches, 25 appearances and managed 1 goal and 2 assists. He reallly really needs to step it up or risk being sold. This is barely good enough for playing in the premier league, let alone a wannabe title challenger. Glad he is doing well pre season, but it is what it is.

Dobbs

Well it can't be worse than it was last season.
Well true. I'll rephrase. Playing centrally I think his figures would be decent. Though he's obviously still being Mkhi and Matt for that spot.

Judging him on his contribution from the right though, not really fair.

ike

He has workrate and short passing and that's about it. He lacks everything else. He's an attacking midfield version of Tom Cleverley.
He's got a decent shot as well. He's shown up for big games. Scored some cracking goals out of nowhere. Granted we'd like to see more of than and less dabbing or whatever it's called.

Maybe there is a lesson in the Tom Cleverly bit. A lot of us felt Cleverly was going to run our midfield for years. We invested a lot in this expectation and then he just sort of fell flat putting it nicely. His potential was never going to meet our expectations of him. I dunno. It's a funny situation and I can see why many are saying this is the year he's got to make his mark as a 1st team player.

GM K

I am a big fan of Jesse.

I love his overall attitude, work ethics, and off the ball movements. I predicted a long time ago that he will outshine Anthony Martial in the long run unless Martial changes his attitude. My position has still not changed.

People say Lingard is average. Well we have all seen so called average players become big stars through sheer determination, hardwork and belief. This kid is in that category. Fortunately for him, both LVG and Jose have seen what many do not see in him.

Because of the above and the fact that he is an English academy graduate of United, selling or loaning him out will be a bad move if you ask me. He is the ideal squad player and if he pushes hard enough, he will get many starts next season.

GM K

We wouldn't be remotely interested in bringing him here if he was playing for a lesser team. He's one of many who have gotten more chances than they deserve because they are youth products.
I get you mate but we cannot down play the highlighted part of your post. I think it is a very important factor in the larger scheme of things for the club. There is something about the United tradition and players like Jesse. Players like him send powerful messages to the young lads in our academy and to those who could potentially join. It's a big factor we cannot ignore. Should we then put any poor player in the first team just because he is an academy product? Not at all. But if a player shows signs of being able to become an important asset for the team, then the risk can be worth it. And no matter what we say, two top managers - LVG and Jose - seem to have seen something special in Lingard. He may not be your eye catching star like Rashford or Martial but that kid has attitude and a spirit that makes you think there is more hidden in him. Like others have said, next season is judgement time for him. I am one of those who believe that he will come into his own next season.

AndyJ1985

We wouldn't be remotely interested in bringing him here if he was playing for a lesser team. He's one of many who have gotten more chances than they deserve because they are youth products.
You're absolutely right there. If Lingard was playing anywhere else not a single person on this forum would want us to sign him. Players like Barkley, Dier, Matic, and Perisic have all been called shit over the last few weeks, yet Lingard is praised for working hard and running around? Double standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.