5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyJ1985

I blame myself for getting into this. Some of you guys want his quality outlined in black and white terms. Show me the stats, in other words. My assertion is that football can't always be reduce to these terms. If we're having trouble breaking down a team who've parked the bus, say Hull at home in the League cup, the man you pluck from the bench may not be the best player but the one who is going to disrupt the existing pattern of the game. Horses for courses. In the cited instance, Lingard was decisive. On other occasions, others were. I just think he offers a different type of movement from anyone else in our squad. It's not always effective of course.
Never mind stats, put it in to words. Other than this fabled running around that people keep prattling on about, what does he actually add to our attack? How does he improve our goal output for example? All I know is he played a big part in our attack last season and our attack absolutely fecking sucked balls. ONE league goal. ONE. Useless.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I blame myself for getting into this. Some of you guys want his quality outlined in black and white terms. Show me the stats, in other words. My assertion is that football can't always be reduce to these terms. If we're having trouble breaking down a team who've parked the bus, say Hull at home in the League cup, the man you pluck from the bench may not be the best player but the one who is going to disrupt the existing pattern of the game. Horses for courses. In the cited instance, Lingard was decisive. On other occasions, others were. I just think he offers a different type of movement from anyone else in our squad. It's not always effective of course.
In fairness, I stirred the hornet's nest. Blame me :) Agree with your comments here.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Stats can be misleading, agreed, just watch the matches, it's obvious that he is way down on quality compared to Mkhi, Martial, Mata, Rashford and even Pereira now he's back, why should any of the aforementioned players be left out of the team in favour of Lingard. All of them have the ability to offer something special or different, it may not always happen but you stick Lingard on and you have a very high chance that he won't score, he won't cross, he won't dribble , he won't make a decisive pass and he'll almost certainly get in someone's way.
If Lingard never played for United again, no-one would notice.

One day, surely, on the Transfer tweets forum, some team, some manager, somewhere in the world, will be "interested" in Lingard, make an enquiry, make an offer, anything. No it never happens - because no-one apart from United is interested in him.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It's hard to justify playing Lingard as a forward when he doesn't do scoring or assists. Jesse really needs to up his game if he even wants to be considered a good squad player imo.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
One day, surely, on the Transfer tweets forum, some team, some manager, somewhere in the world, will be "interested" in Lingard, make an enquiry, make an offer, anything. No it never happens - because no-one apart from United is interested in him.
It probably doesn't happen because he's not for sale, he's at his boyhood club, he's getting games and just signed a new contract. Hence, you're not reading about him being linked with anyone.

I still think if there wasn't a bit of a Cleverley about him on social media and maybe even how he celebrates, people would be less bothered. But that's the only comparison, he's a good player.

Zlatattack

If Lingard is still a regular for us this season, this transfer window was an epic fail.

Unless of course he suddenly becomes a good player who adds assists and goals to his running.

AndyJ1985

It probably doesn't happen because he's not for sale, he's at his boyhood club, he's getting games and just signed a new contract. Hence, you're not reading about him being linked with anyone.

I still think if there wasn't a bit of a Cleverley about him on social media and maybe even how he celebrates, people would be less bothered. But that's the only comparison, he's a good player.
A player whose only redeeming quality is being able to run cannot be described as being a good player.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips

Players get linked with other clubs all the time whether they're at their home town club, signed a contract or whatever. 6 months ago he hadn't signed a contract , no-one is interested in him, we'll never be able to sell him and he's not going to improve, we have a dead duck on our hands.

Some people are bothered by his childish antics but most couldn't care less as long as he was a good player, he isn't unfortunately.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Good to see the usual suspects camped out in here early.

Some things never change.

drdoityourself

I get that Mourinho rates him, and that LvG rated him. It's just hard to watch a regular in our starting line up, who plays as a part of a front three/four, and contributes so little to my enjoyment of a football match. I just don't see what he brings to the team. It's probably my lack of understanding of the game but he doesn't assist, rarely takes players on and rarely scores.

His movement is mentioned as his upside but it can also create problems for other players, especially Mkhitaryan, whose form and space on the ball dropped off a cliff when Lingard came back into the mix after Christmas. That's not something I'm entirely blaming on Lingard but I don't think I've seen them play well together. Maybe his movement isn't as good as people here harp on about.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
@drdoityourself
I could be wrong, but I think Miki's performances suffered when Zlatan wasn't the focal point of attack.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If Lingard is still a regular for us this season, this transfer window was an epic fail.

Unless of course he suddenly becomes a good player who adds assists and goals to his running.
It baffles me that fans all get after a player like this, despite Mourinho seeing enough to reward him with a huge long term contract, and despite him being in and around the England squad.
Either you know better than top managers, or he is the benchmark of the better end of what is around these days.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
After Mourinos comments about getting one or maybe two new signings in it's looking like Lingard is going to play a big role in our attack next season...

Zlatattack

It baffles me that fans all get after a player like this, despite Mourinho seeing enough to reward him with a huge long term contract, and despite him being in and around the England squad.
Either you know better than top managers, or he is the benchmark of the better end of what is around these days.
The England squad is no measure of quality. England are a very poor side who only qualify for international tournaments because they face rubbish teams in the group stages.

As far as contracts are concerned look what we gave Rooney... lol

Mourinho has always liked having hardworking busy bodies who stop others playing. That's all Lingard seems to do well.

SirScholes

I think its quite likely that fellaini is good based on the fact that mourinho and van gaal liked him and watched him every day, not just for 90 mins a week. I really do think thats a strong argument
Ha funny, Roy Carroll must of been a good goalie, cleverly must be good because fergie and moyes played him, come on it's not just a poor argument but it's also lazy

SirScholes

After Mourinos comments about getting one or maybe two new signings in it's looking like Lingard is going to play a big role in our attack next season...
I'm hoping the opposite as one of those signings will be in his position

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
It's obvious those two signings will be in area which we are severely lacking in i.e., midfielder and a winger. Although, bit about 'at least one' signing has me worried because midfield is more of a concern than wide options so we may well see more of Lingard if we only manage to sign one player who'll most likely be a midfielder.

automaticflare

I don't mind Jesse being squad player at all. Will always put in a shift and give his all.
I can't warm to his childish personality myself tho which is irrelevant to what he does in the games but just one of those things.

lopiop

I can't be the only one who questions what's the point of him running from the left flank and all the way across to the right without going forward. He does that a couple of times last season as well.

Of course, he looks good since he is good with the tippy tappy stuff, movement and ball retention but he lacks bite in the attacking output.

Blind

Wing back is probably the best place for him, he's got an engine and moving him further from goal might be a wise decision. We desperately need overlapping and Lingard will run all day.

lopiop

Wing back is probably the best place for him, he's got an engine and moving him further from goal might be a wise decision. We desperately need overlapping and Lingard will run all day.
He can't play as a wing back. His main move is to cut inside and he won't maintain width. We need players with the power to run outside and put in a cross. Lingard has pace but he doesn't trust himself to go outside most of the time.

AndyJ1985

Why is simply being able to run now seen as an acceptable standard for a United player?

Oldyella

He would make an awful wing back. His best position and the only one he should be in with a shout with, is behind the strikers where his movement and one twos can help create space for others. Happy with him as a squad player, but he will hopefully not start as many games as he did last year now Mihkitaryan is more settled, esp with Mata still here.

Robbie Boy

Why is simply being able to run now seen as an acceptable standard for a United player?
It's kind of like why people think you just throw players like Moses out there - even though he's utter shite - it's a-bit of a new phenomena thrown at players that have a good work ethic and have some semblance of pace. I have even seen some on here say Welbeck would make a good wing back.

Blind

I'm not saying it is, but Lingard's going nowhere after signing a new contract, will be even further down the pecking order if we sign Perisic and and we're lacking options on the left if we do play three at the back. His pressing, decent quality on the ball and movement would be welcome against smaller teams.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I'm not saying it is, but Lingard's going nowhere after signing a new contract, will be even further down the pecking order if we sign Perisic and and we're lacking options on the left if we do play three at the back. His pressing, decent quality on the ball and movement would be welcome against smaller teams.
The anti-Lingard brigade are going to have a rough year ahead. Mourinho clearly likes the kid enough to resign him with a massive pay raise, so maybe its a good idea for us to come to grips with reality and support the player.

JoaquinJoaquin

He will play alot this season, whether the fans rate him or not. I would not be shocked at all to see him starting in matchday 1. I'm just curious to see how he does against Real Madrid in the Super Cup as after all, that is the level we are aspiring to get to.

NoPace

He's not a bad footballer, but I don't see the case for him being a United quality player. Seems more like a starting winger for a side 10th-15th, or a versatile squad player for a team like Everton or Southampton. There's a reason England only have one decent winger (Sterling) and nobody is asking for Lingard to be starting opposite him.

Brightonian

There's a reason England only have one decent winger (Sterling) and nobody is asking for Lingard to be starting opposite him.
And the reason is: Lingard isn't a winger. He's an AM who can play wide-ish when necessary, but even then he'll spend most of his time in central areas. In the England U21s Southgate almost always played him as a #10.

NoPace

And the reason is: Lingard isn't a winger. He's an AM who can play wide-ish when necessary, but even then he'll spend most of his time in central areas. In the England U21s Southgate almost always played him as a #10.
If he's a 10, he's only a Prem starter for the lowest squads because not everyone plays with one (4-3-3, 4-4-2, for example it's hard to fit one in with Sigurdsson the man at Swansea or a club like Bournemouth where Josh King and Defoe might be 2 of their best 4 players and they don't want to play a diamond or 3 at the back) and even the mid-table sides often have a better 10 than Lingard like a Lanzini, Tadic.

His best route to a very good career is likely to find a way to improve as a left-winger, scoring goals at a decent clip for a winger (like 7-8 prem goals a season) while cutting in and working hard defensively, becoming a 7/10 in all regards on that wing.

RedDevil@84

Very much like Fellaini. If he is happy to play squad role, I am happy he is here to play that role.
Can't really understand why people think high quality players will be or should be playing squad roles at Utd

Web of Bissaka

Okay, that is an impressive performance... very good first half, magical touches, that saving slide tackle last ditch and the architect of our many attacking movements.

Lingard is surely capable.. really need to show it more often.

kundalini

First time passes make such a difference. Jesse involved in almost all our good moves, assist for Mkhitaryan's goal, pass before the assist for Lukaku's goal.

barmyarmy

He is full of running making good runs playing nice little one two's the most important aspect of his game which he needs to practice well is finishing composure in front of goal, he missed lot of simple chances last season & ability to beat his man when he is playing on wings

Status
Not open for further replies.