Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Thought he did pretty well tbh. Worked hard, played his part and linked up well with everyone. Was the least impactful out of our attackers though, I'd agree with that. Still though, he always plays an important role and will have an important role under Ole for sure. People thinking Sanchez will just walk in and take his spot... he has to put in the same work rate as Lingard does both in training and on the pitch first of all, and show the versatility to play anywhere in the attack (we know he can from before his time here), and show the same understanding with Pogba, Martial and Rashford that Lingard has. Don't even want to get started with Lukaku, he can only play through the middle and will be far more limiting to our style than when we play any of Rashford/Martial/Sanchez there.
Sanchez should easily be displacing Lingard. Not only does he do all the hard work and graft Lingard does but he's simply just a far better footballer.

Jose shackled players so bad that there is this impression that Sanchez would struggle to displace Lingard in the line up. Attacking football, link up plays are all in Sanchez repertoire and we'd need him to fill 1 attacking spot because Lingard happens to lack the skills to be a real threat when he finds himself in those advanced positions. A goal here and there just isn't enough.

Lingard is a decent squad player but certainly not a starter especially over the likes of Sanchez(unshackled).

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Sanchez should easily be displacing Lingard. Not only does he do all the hard work and graft Lingard does but he's simply just a far better footballer.

Jose shackled players so bad that there is this impression that Sanchez would struggle to displace Lingard in the line up. Attacking football, link up plays are all in Sanchez repertoire and we'd need him to fill 1 attacking spot because Lingard happens to lack the skills to be a real threat when he finds himself in those advanced positions. A goal here and there just isn't enough.

Lingard is a decent squad player but certainly not a starter especially over the likes of Sanchez(unshackled).
The thing is that we need them for the right wing. Rashford through the middle and Martial on the left really shouldn't be touched apart from standard rotation. Rashford occasionally on the right wing I can see happening too. Sanchez shouldn't be touching the left wing ahead of either of Martial or Rashford, so he needs to compete for the striker position or the right wing. Yeah, peak Alexis Sanchez would easily get it, but we have no idea what he really is like these days. He struggled under Mourinho, as did everyone else, but the others at least showed glimpses of their quality. Sanchez was a full year of crap pretty much.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
The thing is that we need them for the right wing. Rashford through the middle and Martial on the left really shouldn't be touched apart from standard rotation. Rashford occasionally on the right wing I can see happening too. Sanchez shouldn't be touching the left wing ahead of either of Martial or Rashford, so he needs to compete for the striker position or the right wing. Yeah, peak Alexis Sanchez would easily get it, but we have no idea what he really is like these days. He struggled under Mourinho, as did everyone else, but the others at least showed glimpses of their quality. Sanchez was a full year of crap pretty much.
I'd say only the left wing shouldn't be touched with Martial but the right wing and striker position can still be used for Sanchez. Let's not forget that even in Jose diabolical set up and football out of Rashford, Lukaku and Sanchez, he showed the best glimpses.

Either way even as starting on the right, Sanchez should easily be able to manage to grab a position for himself. In our current set up and the way we play he'll flourish just like we're seeing with most and I'm sure I'd also be able to displace Rashford in that striker role if tried there because the latter still can't finish and Sanchez has proven that he can stretch the defense as well.

Though I'd take Sanchez on the right just because I want a 3 of Martial, Rashford and Sanchez.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
150th game today.

Very very wasteful when he has fantastic opportunities but can’t even do the basics right. We really need to be replacing him ASAP.

Walters_19_MuFc

He's always going to divide opinion because people don't like what he does off the pitch. It's a bit like Pogba, unfortunately. When they don't have good games, they get grilled.

Wasn't great today, but he wasn't as poor as some suggest. Got into nice pockets as he does, but was pretty wasteful with his final ball.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
He's always going to divide opinion because people don't like what he does off the pitch. It's a bit like Pogba, unfortunately. When they don't have good games, they get grilled.

Wasn't great today, but he wasn't as poor as some suggest. Got into nice pockets as he does, but was pretty wasteful with his final ball.
I think that's where the problems lies with Lingard. When you watch him most of the time fluf those opportunities to play a good ball or carry any threat in those dangerous positions he find himself, it does get annoying and brings one to wonder what would have happened in those situations if someone of real quality was there instead of Lingard.

I can forgive sloppiness from time to time because everyone has a loose ball in them but it gets bothersome when an attacking players mess up more often then not when put in promising positions.

KingOfJing88

Invisible again today, when playing teams who sit so deep an with many numbers at the back united can’t afford the likes of him and mata in wide positions, going forward Martial and Sanchez have to start outwide. It’s crazy to see an attacking player who’s best attribute is his off the ball running! Lingard gets played wide so often yet never attempts to dribble past the fullback or cross a ball? United need to heavily invest in a RW this summer especially if Dalot is to develop to his full potential, just look how much more effective shaw is when he has Martial ahead of him

criticalanalysis

He was probably the player that missed Martial the most, his good movement is useless when we had to be so narrow.
That said its not like he was useless.
We were narrow because Lingard and Mata provide no width.

Now that I think about it, was it a coincidence both Shaw and Dalot had below average games?

KingOfJing88

Now that I think about it, was it a coincidence both Shaw and Dalot had below average games?
Yep. You’re right .. tbh we had all the possession in the first half but only the goal and Dalots shot to show for it, we created very little and mata and Lingard played a big part in that.

MrBest

He runs around a lot creating open space but overall as a player should not be a starter. He is incredibly weak so i expect sanchez to come in and displace him on the right. I would also love to see pierrea in that position as he is more gifted with the ball. Lingard however is a great squad player but that is as far as it goes. Hopefully Ole can show him the ropes of being a super sub!

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Yeah we absolutely was narrow because Mata and Lingard don't provide width, which isn't a criticism of either of them, they're simply not wide players.
We didn't have a winger on the pitch, which is weird in general.
Dalot and Shaw were poor due to their own performances, not due to anyone else imo.

Rish Sawhney

Your entire point is kind of redundant though as Lingard is the least of our problems at the moment. I'd argue big name players like Matic, Sanchez, Di Maria, Falcao, Schweinsteiger, etc have been a much bigger cause of our demise so far than Lingard.

"He was playing more than he should because of Mourinho's favoritism, stubbornness and failed man management for one. He got sacked for the same reasons applied on other players also."

LvG also liked Lingard. So does Southgate. In fact Southgate selected Lingard even when he wasn't in the United team regularly cos he liked him that much from working with him in the youth set up. So your point is straight up BS.

"If we had a manager that managed to get the best out of our most talented players, Lingard would not have been playing as much."

If this hypothetical good manager could get better out of our most talented players what makes you think they couldn't get more out of Lingard as well? It seems you're the one putting an artificial ceiling on Lingard when there is no guarantee that what we're seeing is the extent of his ability or talent. He's just been the one who has not thrown his toys out of the pram when going got tough and been somewhat productive in times when our management has been poor. Does that not make him a more talented player than the ones you deem to be more talented? Is talent limited to isolated ball skills and how many fancy Cruyff turns a player can do?

Reactions: Sultan

redcafe_reader

Well, Lingard is a useful squad player, I don't think anyone denied that.

But he's absolutely not good enough to be a starter for us or any other top teams like Liverpool or Man City. Look at it this way: we need to improve our attack, and who should we replace? Rashford or Martial or Pogba or Lingard?

Craig Ward

Lingard will divide opinions.

He has spells of looking incredibly good and spells where he may as well not be on the pitch.

Yesterday was somewhere in between, full of energy, better off the ball than on it and overall under par. His biggest attribute will always be off the ball and making space, its whether he or others can use it to good effect. Yesterday Lingard was wasteful

I'd be in no rush to sell him or be overly harsh on him like others, he is just that type of player. Make no mistake, we need Lingard.

I understand him and Mata are not wide players, but when played there they both make zero effort to stay wide. Even if natural instinct is to drift inside - surely they're instructions should be to stretch the play?

Very frustrating as it always makes us to narrow and gives our FB's an even harder job. Something to work on for Ole.

Kostov

Your entire point is kind of redundant though as Lingard is the least of our problems at the moment. I'd argue big name players like Matic, Sanchez, Di Maria, Falcao, Schweinsteiger, etc have been a much bigger cause of our demise so far than Lingard.

"He was playing more than he should because of Mourinho's favoritism, stubbornness and failed man management for one. He got sacked for the same reasons applied on other players also."

LvG also liked Lingard. So does Southgate. In fact Southgate selected Lingard even when he wasn't in the United team regularly cos he liked him that much from working with him in the youth set up. So your point is straight up BS.

"If we had a manager that managed to get the best out of our most talented players, Lingard would not have been playing as much."

If this hypothetical good manager could get better out of our most talented players what makes you think they couldn't get more out of Lingard as well? It seems you're the one putting an artificial ceiling on Lingard when there is no guarantee that what we're seeing is the extent of his ability or talent. He's just been the one who has not thrown his toys out of the pram when going got tough and been somewhat productive in times when our management has been poor. Does that not make him a more talented player than the ones you deem to be more talented? Is talent limited to isolated ball skills and how many fancy Cruyff turns a player can do?
You've made a mess of your reply. But I recognize it's referring to my post.

First of all, as I said to @Mcking stop trying to put words in my mouth, and don't make a martyr out of poor Jesse Lingard.

Nobody blames him for our problems. At the end of the day it's the management who is playing him the real issue, Lingard does his best, but ultimately it's not enough. Our demise is a combination of factors, playing and keeping average players more then we should, is one of them, as well as failed big name transfers.

Yeah LVG also liked Lingard, he also liked Schweinsteiger, Phil Jones and many other not good enough players. Southgate can select him and play him as much as he wants, and do that WHERE he wants. Ultimately England playing OK and beating Tunisia, Panama, an atrocious Colombia and Sweden means feck all to me. I watch him how he does here at club level, and that's what matters. So your point about Mr. MORON LVG and Southgate actually liking him, is absolute bullshit.

That last paragraph, yes you have a point hypothetically, another manager might get the best out of our attacking players, but it goes as far. A new manager might make Martial, Pogba, Rashford even Lukaku much better because they have undoubted talent who they showed even under a negative coach like Jose. With Lingard you know what you get and what not. A new manager won't magically make him Christian Eriksen, he doesn't have the talent, or has never shown that kind of talent, he's 26. He isn't good enough footballer to play as a starter for a club of our size.

And no talent isn't isolated on how many Cruyff turns a player makes, but surely we need a better number 10 than one who's best attributes are running and movement.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yeah we absolutely was narrow because Mata and Lingard don't provide width, which isn't a criticism of either of them, they're simply not wide players.
Dalot and Shaw were poor due to their own performances, not due to anyone else imo.
They’re not forward players at all, which annoys me. They don’t belong in the furthest line of attack.

We need some sort of threat on the right urgently, everything is all left side. I’d still like to see Rashford there when Sanchez returns.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
They’re not forward players at all, which annoys me. They don’t belong in the furthest line of attack.

We need some sort of threat on the right urgently, everything is all left side. I’d still like to see Rashford there when Sanchez returns.
Yeah they don't really fit in a front three if they're going to be expected to be in and around the box, especially not together.
Agreed, I'm not sure what the clubs plans are as far as January is concerned, but United shouldn't have no real right winger.

Mcking

You've made a mess of your reply. But I recognize it's referring to my post.

First of all, as I said to @Mcking stop trying to put words in my mouth, and don't make a martyr out of poor Jesse Lingard.

Nobody blames him for our problems. At the end of the day it's the management who is playing him the real issue, Lingard does his best, but ultimately it's not enough. Our demise is a combination of factors, playing and keeping average players more then we should, is one of them, as well as failed big name transfers.

Yeah LVG also liked Lingard, he also liked Schweinsteiger, Phil Jones and many other not good enough players. Southgate can select him and play him as much as he wants, and do that WHERE he wants. Ultimately England playing OK and beating Tunisia, Panama, an atrocious Colombia and Sweden means feck all to me. I watch him how he does here at club level, and that's what matters. So your point about Mr. MORON LVG and Southgate actually liking him, is absolute bullshit.

That last paragraph, yes you have a point hypothetically, another manager might get the best out of our attacking players, but it goes as far. A new manager might make Martial, Pogba, Rashford even Lukaku much better because they have undoubted talent who they showed even under a negative coach like Jose. With Lingard you know what you get and what not. A new manager won't magically make him Christian Eriksen, he doesn't have the talent, or has never shown that kind of talent, he's 26. He isn't good enough footballer to play as a starter for a club of our size.

And no talent isn't isolated on how many Cruyff turns a player makes, but surely we need a better number 10 than one who's best attributes are running and movement.
I won't have any problem if we successfully upgrade him in the starting XI. My problem is with people saying that he is everything wrong with the club, that he plays too much, that Newcastle and Southampton are his level or theoritical baseless assumptions like 'he won't get into the Tottenham team' etc. He is a useful player with some very good qualities that are vital to how we want to play. Not every one has to be Christain Eriksen, there is no amount of coaching that will turn Martial and Rashford into Eriksen either. Players do have different qualities, the key is being able to utilize them to a very high level, and coaching do play a big part in that. Eriksen can do some things Martial can't do and vice versa - they are both talented players; Martial can do some things Lingard can't and vice versa. If the manager is able to utilize any good player in the correct way, in the correct role, he'd be very useful to the team - Lingard is no exception.
Sure, he can be upgraded, but we've hardly had nor currently have any player that really comfortably deserves or deserved to be in the XI ahead of him. As you said, talent is not restricted to the number of Cruyff turns, nor dribbles nor defence splitting passes per game. It is a joke to suggest that a player that managed to get where Lingard is right now doesn't have talent. That excellent and intelligent on and off-the-ball movement alone is something many footballers don't have in their locker.
Anyway, talent is nothing if it cannot be put to good use on the pitch. Lingard has proven to be a decent player at this level and has been an important member of this squad for years. Until someone actually proves to be a better option, Lingard more than deserves his place and role in the team.

Kostov

I won't have any problem if we successfully upgrade him in the starting XI. My problem is with people saying that he is everything wrong with the club, that he plays too much, that Newcastle and Southampton are his level or theoritical baseless assumptions like 'he won't get into the Tottenham team' etc. He is a useful player with some very good qualities that are vital to how we want to play. Not every one has to be Christain Eriksen, there is no amount of coaching that will turn Martial and Rashford into Eriksen either. Players do have different qualities, the key is being able to utilize them to a very high level, and coaching do play a big part in that. Eriksen can do some things Martial can't do and vice versa - they are both talented players; Martial can do some things Lingard can't and vice versa. If the manager is able to utilize any good player in the correct way, in the correct role, he'd be very useful to the team - Lingard is no exception.
I've personally said that I think Lingard epitomizes our club as a whole. Thinking we are better than we really are. He is not the source of our problems, the problem is much greater than a single player. He plays too much. What is his level I'm not sure, but I'm sure it's not being a starter for Manchester United. He won't get into Spurs front 3. What vital qualities does he have that we need? Movement? Not everyone has to be Christian Eriksen, but Manchester United's number 10 or starting attacking midfielder should be of similar quality. Martial and Rashford have the potential to be even better than Eriksen in their respective positions, Lingard lacks the talent. And please don't mix Martial and Rashford with Eriksen. You constantly bang on about him not being a winger, and that he is best in central positions, well here is Eriksen. What quality does Lingard posses that Eriksen does not? Because that's the level of player that should be starting for Manchester United. Lingard should be used in the correct role, but as a sub, not starting.

The role of the coach is to get his best team out there, and if that means switching a formation that suits his personnel, he should do it.

Sure, he can be upgraded, but we've hardly had nor currently have any player that really comfortably deserves or deserved to be in the XI ahead of him. As you said, talent is not restricted to the number of Cruyff turns, nor dribbles nor defence splitting passes per game. It is a joke to suggest that a player that managed to get where Lingard is right now doesn't have talent. That excellent and intelligent on and off-the-ball movement alone is something many footballers don't have in their locker.
That works both ways. Neither does Lingard deserve to start ahead of anyone really, and Ole should try and give others a chance. And it's normal, if Martial and Rashford are doing fine, then you don't change them for Alexis nor Lukaku. If they are bad, you give a guy that has been on the bench, in translation, what do you have to loose.

Lingard has talent, but not enough to be a starter in an attacking position for this club, not even close. And I disagree, an attacking player at this club, should have qualities like dribbling, defense splitting passes, to different levels, but he must posses quality on the ball in certain aspects, that Lingard unfortunately lacks. The excellent and intelligent movement should not be the best attributes for a player of his position at this level. I'm sure many footballers lack that as you say, but we are talking about playing as one of the main creator roles at one of the biggest clubs in the world. We have to have a better footballer at that role.

Anyway, talent is nothing if it cannot be put to good use on the pitch. Lingard has proven to be a decent player at this level and has been an important member of this squad for years. Until someone actually proves to be a better option, Lingard more than deserves his place and role in the team.
He has proven that he is a useful squad player I agree. But let me ask you, we have a front 3 of Martial, Rashford and Lingard, who while being good at Cardif (all 3 of them), Rashford was fine vs Hudder and Lingard was not in my opinion, counting that we have Martial back for Sunday ( who in my opinion is our best attacker), and I feel that we must improve our attack for the bigger games ahead. Then we have a player of Alexis's pedigree coming back, who in my opinion we must try and use it to our best, who do you think should drop out of that front 3 consisted of Martial/Rashford/Lingard?

Mcking

Hope you don't mind me doing some cutting. Max words and all that.
I've personally said that I think Lingard epitomizes our club as a whole. Thinking we are better than we really are. He plays too much. What is his level I'm not sure, but I'm sure it's not being a starter for Manchester United. He won't get into Spurs front 3. What vital qualities does he have that we need? Movement? Not everyone has to be Christian Eriksen, but Manchester United's number 10 or starting attacking midfielder should be of similar quality. And please don't mix Martial and Rashford with Eriksen. You constantly bang on about him not being a winger, and that he is best in central positions, well here is Eriksen. What quality does Lingard posses that Eriksen does not? Because that's the level of player that should be starting for Manchester United.
I don't really get your first two sentences. Are you saying that Lingard or the manager or the fans(who) think that Lingard is better than he really is? How does any of those epitomize the club as a whole?
He plays a lot because no one has proven that he deserves to be playing ahead of Lingard. Surely that has more to do with the quality and performances of his competitors? Nobody knows his actual level of course, he might be better than he's currently showing. The closest we can get to knowing his level though is the level he's got to and is currently at, and that is as a starter for Manchester United. There is no way you'd be able to deduce if a player can get into the team of a club he is not eligible to play for. Nobody knows how any player would work in another team. It depends a lot on the qualities the coach sees in a player, and the role he has for him.

The role of the coach is to get his best team out there, and if that means switching a formation that suits his personnel, he should do it.
Exactly. The coach utilizes the players in the most fitting way and gives them roles that maximizes their qualities. Again, Lingard is no exception to that.
That works both ways. Neither does Lingard deserve to start ahead of anyone really, and Ole should try and give others a chance. And it's normal, if Martial and Rashford are doing fine, then you don't change them for Alexis nor Lukaku. If they are bad, you give a guy that has been on the bench, in translation, what do you have to loose.
There is no one that said Ole shouldn't give other players their chance. The argument here is that Lingard has been playing too much games. Other players have had many chances to show what they can do too. Lingard has been starting ahead of them because they didn't show enough to prove that they deserve a place more than him. That might all change with the clean slate Ole has offered everyone, but there is no denying the fact that Lingard has been deserving of every minute he's played for us.

Lingard has talent, but not enough to be a starter in an attacking position for this club, not even close. And I disagree, an attacking player at this club, should have qualities like dribbling, defense splitting passes, to different levels, but he must posses quality on the ball in certain aspects, that Lingard unfortunately lacks. The excellent and intelligent movement should not be the best attributes for a player of his position at this level. I'm sure many footballers lack that as you say, but we are talking about playing as one of the main creator roles at one of the biggest clubs in the world.
It'd be nice to have better options, but I think you are confusing roles with positions.
Lingard is not the main creator in this team, is he? Pogba is and he more than matches up to Eriksen. A central position doesn't automatically give you a main creating role. It depends on the system.
Lingard is a decent dribbler and is good on the ball for the role he plays. He doesn't possess impecable vision or defence spliting passes, but he's got qualities that are well suited for the role he plays. Sure, vision, finesse etc are useful, but we don't have anyone that does that to a high level in Lingard's position, so we have to adapt and make use of what we have and try to maximize that - it is the same for every team, and there is a lot to creating than finesse and playing the final pass. Liverpool don't have an Eriksen-lite playmaker in the No.10 role, but they play to the strengths of the players they have for every pos. Because he is not like Eriksen doesn't make him a bad fit. What Lingard do, he does them to a high level and that is the most important. I know we'd all like to have a player like Eriksen, but we have Pogba and Lingard as our best options. Until we get better options, we have to make do and give the players fitting roles. You just have to be very good at what you do.
Lingard is not great, but he is a good player in his own way and currently deserves to be in the team.

Mcking

He has proven that he is a useful squad player I agree. But let me ask you, we have a front 3 of Martial, Rashford and Lingard, who while being good at Cardif (all 3 of them), Rashford was fine vs Hudder and Lingard was not in my opinion, counting that we have Martial back for Sunday ( who in my opinion is our best attacker), and I feel that we must improve our attack for the bigger games ahead. Then we have a player of Alexis's pedigree coming back, who in my opinion we must try and use it to our best, who do you think should drop out of that front 3 consisted of Martial/Rashford/Lingard?
Pedigree shouldn't automatically get anyone a place, especially when he's not been better than any of the trio with us. Obviously rotation will have to come into place for everyone to get their chance, but if one player has to be dropped, it should be the least-performing of the trio.

Giggsforever

He was horrible, looked like a boy playing with men yesterday. Always thought Lingard is a right back playing as an attacker.

RuudTom83

His game relies heavily on energy, the boy runs all day long, so back to back games with only a few days rest will effect him.

If United continue playing a front 3 he would be my 4th choice, rotating regularly with Rashford/Sanchez.

Kostov

Hope you don't mind me doing some cutting. Max words and all that.
I don't really get your first two sentences. Are you saying that Lingard or the manager or the fans(who) think that Lingard is better than he really is? How does any of those epitomize the club as a whole?
Lingard for starts, the way he carries himself, conducts himself, it warrants a much better player, instead it's a 26 year old pretty average chap, who's got very little to show. The club is pretty much the same, we bang on how we are the biggest club in the world, yet we are struggling to make top 4.

He plays a lot because no one has proven that he deserves to be playing ahead of Lingard. Surely that has more to do with the quality and performances of his competitors? Nobody knows his actual level of course, he might be better than he's currently showing. The closest we can get to knowing his level though is the level he's got to and is currently at, and that is as a starter for Manchester United. There is no way you'd be able to deduce if a player can get into the team of a club he is not eligible to play for. Nobody knows how any player would work in another team. It depends a lot on the qualities the coach sees in a player, and the role he has for him.
Well if a player is playing shit, I don't care who plays, or if we switch a different player till we go to the u14, but don't award mediocrity. At the end of the day Lingard does not deserve to start because he's been equally as shit as Alexis and Lukaku, and if I had to choose from those 3, I'd still choose the most talented, because the chance of producing something is better even if they are playing shit.

Most footballing men and fans know his level really. He can run and move that's it. He's not fast enough nor the strongest, he's very average on the ball, he can't keep the ball under pressure, he can't turn with it, can't dribble, average passer, and unreliable finisher. A more attacking manager will improve him probably, but bottom line, you can't make a diamond out of a turd.

There is no one that said Ole shouldn't give other players their chance. The argument here is that Lingard has been playing too much games. Other players have had many chances to show what they can do too. Lingard has been starting ahead of them because they didn't show enough to prove that they deserve a place more than him. That might all change with the clean slate Ole has offered everyone, but there is no denying the fact that Lingard has been deserving of every minute he's played for us.
He has been playing too much games. Let me give you a perfect example of keeping his place even though he was shit. Midweek he was starting against Juventus, he was absolutely appalling, so many of us on here called for Jose not to award that performance with a start against City. What Jose did? He started him, and Jesse was appalling again. Under a more reasonable manager like Ole, let's hope it want happen. And that refers to every player, not just Lingard. (Matic and Lukaku)

It'd be nice to have better options, but I think you are confusing roles with positions.
Lingard is not the main creator in this team, is he? Pogba is and he more than matches up to Eriksen. A central position doesn't automatically give you a main creating role. It depends on the system.
Then what is he? He isn't a winger, he isn't a number 10. He's no creator nor scorer yet supposedly he is good enough to start in the front 3?

Lingard is a decent dribbler and is good on the ball for the role he plays. He doesn't possess impecable vision or defence spliting passes, but he's got qualities that are well suited for the role he plays. Sure, vision, finesse etc are useful, but we don't have anyone that does that to a high level in Lingard's position, so we have to adapt and make use of what we have and try to maximize that - it is the same for every team, and there is a lot to creating than finesse and playing the final pass. Liverpool don't have an Eriksen-lite playmaker in the No.10 role, but they play to the strengths of the players they have for every pos. Because he is not like Eriksen doesn't make him a bad fit. What Lingard do, he does them to a high level and that is the most important. I know we'd all like to have a player like Eriksen, but we have Pogba and Lingard as our best options. Until we get better options, we have to make do and give the players fitting roles. You just have to be very good at what you do.
Lingard is not great, but he is a good player in his own way and currently deserves to be in the team.
So you described many of the most important qualities a player playing in position of Lingard should posses, you yourself claim he does not have them, then argue he should start.

Liverpool don't have an Eriksen, but they don't have an average footballer playing in the front 3 either. They have Salah, Mane and Firmino, all miles better attackers than Jesse.

criticalanalysis

I agree they are not wide players but I wouldn't absolve them of all criticism because width is also just being a presence at the byline. You don't have to be beating players and driving into space all the time ala prime Giggs but they have to be there for the switch, to provide a threat, spread out play, draw out the opposition and supplement our fullbacks.

I made a comment in another thread but Rashford as the centre forward ran the channels and was more effective than both combined.

I don't mind Lingard and Mata drifting inwards but they absolutely have to have the same energy and movement outwards too otherwise the middle is clog up. That's the problem I have with them, they're all too happy to play in the middle but completely neglect the touchline. This is fine if their touch and final ball is on point or they're contributing massively consistently but quite simply they are not.

As a result our fullbacks were being asked to be wingers and defenders by themselves. Not those those two played well themselves mind in any case.

sam147

Decent squad player but shouldn't be a starter. This guys older than Pogba and people act like he is a prospect. He is a good runner and comes in handy of the bench. Physically he is very weak and easily nudged of the ball in midfield. His link up play is great in tight spaces but his actual vision, passing and crossing is subpar. He scores some brilliant goals but misses sitters often. Once Lukaku and Sanchez are back he should be used for rotation.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Decent squad player but shouldn't be a starter. This guys older than Pogba and people act like he is a prospect. He is a good runner and comes in handy of the bench. Physically he is very weak and easily nudged of the ball in midfield. His link up play is great in tight spaces but his actual vision, passing and crossing is subpar. He scores some brilliant goals but misses sitters often. Once Lukaku and Sanchez are back he should be used for rotation.
He's older than Lukaku...Yet, he's called a prospect.
Lukaku meanwhile, should be shot with a barrel of his own shit, as he's the finished article and a nothing player.

A fickle sport you say?

Personally, I don't think either of them are good enough for this club but, they're both old and developed enough to prove me wrong. Let's see in May

NK86

What I find pretty strange is that he is not really quick or has great acceleration. A fair few times I have seen him lose a race with the last defender when he starts in line with them for a through ball/ball over the top. He has also fluffed his lines and was beaten to the ball when he has a small headstart as well. It's like when he has to run into the box with the ball at his feet for long, he either gets confused or does not have enough confidence to take on his defender ans score a goal.

We all know dribbling isn't his strongest suit, but he should do a heck of a lot better with his attacking passes. They are either overhit/underhit or are telegraphed and hence easily intercepted. These are the absolute minimum he should be very good at if he has to play as an attacking player here.

ForestRGoinUp

What I find pretty strange is that he is not really quick or has great acceleration. A fair few times I have seen him lose a race with the last defender when he starts in line with them for a through ball/ball over the top. He has also fluffed his lines and was beaten to the ball when he has a small headstart as well. It's like when he has to run into the box with the ball at his feet for long, he either gets confused or does not have enough confidence to take on his defender ans score a goal.

We all know dribbling isn't his strongest suit, but he should do a heck of a lot better with his attacking passes. They are either overhit/underhit or are telegraphed and hence easily intercepted. These are the absolute minimum he should be very good at if he has to play as an attacking player here.
Accurate observations. He doesn’t necessarily want the ball at his feet unless he’s shooting from distance. He’s weak shoulder to shoulder, in a foot race, on the dribble, and playing an accurate final ball. Loves a good safe ball and then moving into space though. Like our dear old friend Tom Cleverly.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
The fact he is better without the ball than when he is in possession should tell you he is not good enough to play for any of the big clubs.

He should be kept as a squad player and nothing more.

Kostov

Spot on.

Add to that, he inability to turn with the ball or keep it under pressure, and we have a very limited player who occupies one of the attacking positions.

Verminator

I may be proven wrong, but I doubr the Ole effect is going to turn Sanchez into the Arsenal Sanchez. He's stunk the place out since getting here.
I expect Lingard to out score and out perform him, but the same bitter posters will be on this thread, regurgitating the same crap, as if it is their full-time job, while people who actually work in football continue to rate and trust in him.

RedDevil5

Silent domination.

Another nothing performance that people will defend by talking about his movement and running.
Correct. He is not good enough for this club. This is a hill I am willing to die on. He's a local lad and he runs hard, but that's obviously not good enough at all. I would sell in the summer, or at least just bench and make him a rotation option only.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Rubbish again. He’ll fall out of the team now anyway as players are back.

Status
Not open for further replies.