4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcking

Jesus Christ the standards are so low for you. Indispensable cog in a team that struggles to score 60 goals a season,winning the Micky Mouse cups while our rivals have been winning league titles and reaching the CL final. I've enjoyed every bits of those trophies, but clinging on those honors and boasting like we've been some fecking site to behold is cringeworthy. We've been a laughing stock for over 5 years now, struggling the finish top 4 and being embarrassed in Europe.
You assume that I have low standards because I refuse to hate on one of our most important and reliable players.
No matter how you try to spin it, Lingard has been an indispensable cog in this team, and he should be judged relative to the other players that make up the squad. Although we have not been great in the last fews years, but I can point to the little but significant successes we/he have had with him in the team. I'm convinced that our supposed top class rivals, Liverpool, Tottenham will be head over heels if they won the trophies we won with Lingard in the same period - I think they could do with a big game player like Lingard. He's not being a hindrance for us, he's been a breath of fresh air.
Re our rivals winning titles: how many of them have won the League title in the last 14 years?
This part is comedy gold. Yeah Alexis introduction into the team disrupted our season, but very little to do with Lingard, and pretty much with our best player up till then in Martial. Lingard's golden patch ended pretty much before Alexis came. The reason why we are currently behind top teams is a combination of many things, not solely on big transfers not working out like Alexis, neither mediocre players like Lingard playing much more than they should. One thing is for sure, we won't reach another level with a player like Lingard playing as much as he has been in our front 3, bringing a world class talent like Alexis and taking the risk of him adapting, might do.

Lingard has earned his place in the squad, no doubt, but he should not be starting and playing as much as he has been.
Why is he playing more than he should then? Because few have proven to be better than him. Supposed talented players have come and gone, some can't get into the team ahead him. Why then are you blaming him for our predicament? He has been central to every little success we've had in the last few years. You should be crediting him for that, not?

Kostov

You assume that I have low standards because I refuse to hate on one of our most important and reliable players.
No matter how you try to spin it, Lingard has been an indispensable cog in this team, and he should be judged relative to the other players that make up the squad. Although we have not been great in the last fews years, but I can point to the little but significant successes we/he have had with him in the team.
Why is pointing out an average player for what he is, branded as hating? People watch him produce dross most often than not and describe him as it is, it's not hating, just stating the obvious. Yeah he has been an indispensable cog in a shit team, that is true. Him along with the likes of Young, Phil Jones, Valencia, now Matic have been part of a team, that if we want to move forward we will have to upgrade on. That's all. Every one of them for different reasons.

I'm convinced that our supposed top class rivals, Liverpool, Tottenham will be head over heels if they won the trophies we won with Lingard in the same period - I think they could do with a big game player like Lingard. He's not being a hindrance for us, he's been a breath of fresh air.
Re our rivals winning titles: how many of them have won the League title in the last 14 years?
This is just laughable, Liverpool did not win a Carling or FA Cup so fecking what, they set their priorities right and have been building a team to compete for the top prizes. They reached the CL final last year and built on that, while we were embarrassed in the 1/8 final. I used to laugh at them, while celebrate the little victories we had on the way. Look at them now, and look at us now.

Let me say again, I'm not saying Lingard is the sole reason we are in this situation, all I am saying is that we need a better player in there. Lingard can play his part as a squad player, if we are to compete with the best, we need much better. He's been a fresh air? Fresh air of what exactly? He's a 26 year old pro, playing in an attacking position for one of the biggest clubs in the world, he's supposed to provide much more than he has been.

What has winning the title in the previous 14 years got to do with anything? We struggle to get into top 4 for the last 5 and a half season. That's our level at the moment, while our rivals Liverpool and City are among the best teams in Europe.

Why is he playing more than he should then? Because few have proven to be better than him. Supposed talented players have come and gone, some can't get into the team ahead him. Why then are you blaming him for our predicament? He has been central to every little success we've had in the last few years. You should be crediting him for that, not?
He was playing more than he should because of Mourinho's favoritism, stubbornness and failed man management for one. He got sacked for the same reasons applied on other players also. Mourinho failed to get the best out of his most talented players.

Again no one is blaming him for our predicament, stop trying to make him some martyr, all I am saying is, we need better. If we had a manager that managed to get the best out of our most talented players, Lingard would not have been playing as much.

Mcking

Why is pointing out an average player for what he is, branded as hating? People watch him produce dross most often than not and describe him as it is, it's not hating, just stating the obvious. Yeah he has been an indispensable cog in a shit team, that is true. Him along with the likes of Young, Phil Jones, Valencia, now Matic have been part of a team, that if we want to move forward we will have to upgrade on. That's all. Every one of them for different reasons.
The is difference that you don't have 106 and the most posts in those players threads, consistently picking on them and telling us how we need better. It is so obvious that you try as much as you can to pick on and bash Lingard everytime.

This is just laughable, Liverpool did not win a Carling or FA Cup so fecking what, they set their priorities right and have been building a team to compete for the top prizes. They reached the CL final last year and built on that, while we were embarrassed in the 1/8 final. I used to laugh at them, while celebrate the little victories we had on the way. Look at them now, and look at us now.
Despite how hard you try to downplay the trophies we've won with him, they are still trophies that can only be won by one team out of tens and hundreds in a full year. If it is so easy to win them, why didn't Liverpool etc win them then? If they are not really prioritizing or taking them seriously, when then did their players and fans look so dejected when they lost those finals back then? They could have done with a player like Lingard to bang in the winner.
Let me say again, I'm not saying Lingard is the sole reason we are in this situation, all I am saying is that we need a better player in there. Lingard can play his part as a squad player, if we are to compete with the best, we need much better.
Now we are getting at something, and I can't agree much with this. Why then do you bash him for us not having a better player than him? He's always played his part, and decent at that. Maybe give him the credit he deserves, then suggest a better option.
He's been a fresh air? Fresh air of what exactly? He's a 26 year old pro, playing in an attacking position for one of the biggest clubs in the world, he's supposed to provide much more than he has been.
He's being a breath of fresh air in the sense that whilst those supposedly talented players have faltered and underwhelmed, he has provided us with a good option while playing a vital and significant part in our little successes.

What has winning the title in the previous 14 years got to do with anything? We struggle to get into top 4 for the last 5 and a half season. That's our level at the moment, while our rivals Liverpool and City are among the best teams in Europe.
You said our rivals have been winning titles, when in reality, only four clubs have won the title in the last 14 years - one of them is us, and another is not exactly our rival.

He was playing more than he should because of Mourinho's favoritism, stubbornness and failed man management for one. He got sacked for the same reasons applied on other players also. Mourinho failed to get the best out of his most talented players.
No, he was and is playing because we barely have a better option.
Again no one is blaming him for our predicament, stop trying to make him some martyr, all I am saying is, we need better. If we had a manager that managed to get the best out of our most talented players, Lingard would not have been playing as much.
The same can be applied to Lingard. If we manage to get the best out of him, he'd be a much better player. It is no coincidence that he dropped a MOTM performance in his first game that is not under the manager that was apparently favouring him.

Last edited:

Kostov

The is difference that you don't have 106 and the most posts in those players threads, consistently picking on them and telling us how we need better. It is so obvious that you try as much as you can to pick on and bash Lingard everytime.
No I don't, and I already pointed out, 4-5 players that need to be upgraded with better for different reasons. The difference though, in Phil Jones/Young/Valencia/Matic cases, there are not many posters claiming them to be good enough every 15 games when they have a solid one. Most on here agree and are tired of Jones for example, Young and Valencia need replacing also, and that's the general opinion. With Lingard we have posters like you who after 10 months and mostly shit to average performances, as soon as he has a good game come here and preach how he is reliable and our best option. Like feck he is. He scored goals against Arsenal and Liverpool, yet he was among the worst performers. Scored a penalty and the 5th goal vs Cardif, and now he is our best option supposedly. Most on here agree he is a solid squad player, and that is that.

Despite how hard you try to downplay the trophies we've won with him, they are still trophies that can only be won by one team out of tens and hundreds in a full year. If it is so easy to win them, why didn't Liverpool etc win them then? If they are not really prioritizing or taking them seriously, when then did their players and fans look so dejected when they lost those finals back then? They could have done with a player like Lingard to bang in the winner.
I'm not downplaying the trophies, but I won't cling on mickey mouse cup wins while our rivals are miles ahead of us. We've won the trophies with him as part of the team, no one is downplaying his part, just some like you overrate it. He scored goals vs Crystal Palace and Southampton, should we excuse him for the next 10 years of shit performances?

Now we are getting at something, and I can't agree much with this. Why then do you bash him for us not having a better player than him? He's always played his part, and decent at that. He's being a breath of fresh air in the sense that whilst those supposedly talented players have faltered and underwhelmed, he has provided us with a good option while playing a vital and significant part in our little successes.
Who is bashing him? Why are you so peaky, he is no snowflake, and nobody is blaming him for anything, if anyone, I've said many times in the previous couple of months, It's on the guy who is playing him.

And we have better players, but for some reason Mourinho never managed to get the best of his attacking players. One of the reasons he lost his job that is.

He has also faltered and was underwhelming, he was just on the good side of Mourinho.

You said our rivals have been winning titles, when in reality, only four clubs have won the title in the last 14 years - one of them is us, and another is not exactly our rival.
Every club that wins the league is our rival. Taking it back 14 years, means nothing for the current state we are in. Our demise started in 2013, since then, we finished 7h, 4th, 5th, 6th, 2nd and currently we 6th. Nothing to cheer on in my book.

No, he was and is playing because we barely have a better option.
The same can be applied to Lingard. If we manage to get the best out of him, he'd be a much better player. It is no coincidence that he dropped a MOTM performance in his first game that is not under the manager that was apparently favouring him.
We do have a better option, as soon as Alexis is fit, he will be give a chance, or as soon as Lukaku is fit, we need to play him with Rashford and Martial.

Regarding Lingard, yes the same should be applied to Lingard and he is getting his chance, the thing is, more or less we now what we get with him, and what not. Martial, Rashford and Lukaku for example even though under a negative manager, showed glimpses of their talent and why so many rate them. With Alexis is the same, he has shown that he can be one of the best in the league, and should get his chance at the expense of Lingard.

Sterling Archer

Pretty good at scoring? Previous to this last 4 goals, he scored 2 PL goals in the calendar year. If that's pretty good at scoring for you than fine.

EDIT: And then you factor that 2 of those goals were in games where he was appalling in about everything. Worst player against Liverpool and one of the worst against Arsenal.

Some on here are so fast to brand other posters as haters, when in reality some fans like you overrate everything he does, 1 game against Cardif and some come here claiming his 15 previous games being absolutely shit, didn't exist.
I actually haven't called you anything at all, yet. I just added that goals should be in your list of Jesse's list of useless contributions to the team. And last season he was second top scorer for United. Useless, right? And at this rate, he has been scoring at a better rate than Ryan Giggs. So I'd question your dismissal of his goals as being overly myopic.

And no, don't worry mate, I'm not calling you a name.

Kostov

I actually haven't called you anything at all, yet. I just added that goals should be in your list of Jesse's list of useless contributions to the team. And last season he was second top scorer for United. Useless, right? And at this rate, he has been scoring at a better rate than Ryan Giggs. So I'd question your dismissal of his goals as being overly myopic.

And no, don't worry mate, I'm not calling you a name.
Goals will stand by his name, yeah. Nobody will take that from him. Only how can I add that he provides that constantly when he scores one goal on January the 1st, then one i April (against Chelsea), then we wait till December for another goal. And yeah goals is not everything before some smart ass points out at Hazard drought, but a player like Hazard provides so much more other than goals, with Lingard, if he does not pop up with a goal his attacking contribution is reduced to running.

That Ryan Giggs bit is worth shit nothing, because of the same reason as the Hazard example. Giggs brought so much more I think we don't have to remind any United fan.

Sterling Archer

Goals will stand by his name, yeah. Nobody will take that from him. Only how can I add that he provides that constantly when he scores one goal on January the 1st, then one i April (against Chelsea), then we wait till December for another goal. And yeah goals is not everything before some smart ass points out at Hazard drought, but a player like Hazard provides so much more other than goals, with Lingard, if he does not pop up with a goal his attacking contribution is reduced to running.

That Ryan Giggs bit is worth shit nothing, because of the same reason as the Hazard example. Giggs brought so much more I think we don't have to remind any United fan.
Without straying too far, I think an issue here in being able to truly appreciate the player is difficult because of the garbage this team has been putting out for years. So it's hard for me to really go overboard with criticising a player that has given me some pretty good highlights over an awful few years. And 1000% yes, he gets an additional break for being an academy lad.

Man Utd 3:1 Huddersfield

el3mel

Has anyone noticed him today ? Invisible and pointless for 90 minutes but I'm sure some will come and talk about "movement" and "running a lot".

UncleBob

Dreadful today, every time he got the ball in a decent position he failed to take advantage of it.

Ace of Spades

Invisible today. He is a good squad player, but hopefully Sanchez will be back in form like Matic, and will start instead of him.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Need to up his game. Hasn't been good with his general play in both games and with no goals today as positive contribution from him.

He needs to be a threat when he find himself in those advanced positions and should start using the ball better. At this rate he'd be easily displaced by Sanchez when he returns.

Hopefully he steps up soon.

ForestRGoinUp

Safe
Safe
Safe
Mess up a forward pass
Safe
Safe
Safe
Safe
Mess up another one of moderate difficulty
Safe
Safe
Safe
Safe
Safe
Safe
Pop up w a goal

L1nk

See, this is what I was saying some posts back. Me and loads of other people were called out for being harsh on Lingard and everyone was declaring him as Messi lite again just because he performed well against Cardiff, I stuck to my guns and said he was average still, 26, no consistency, plays a decent match once in a blue moon. Lo and behold he goes and proves my point again today, weakest link in the team, he just isn't good, as I said he plays well once in a blue moon and the rest he's a bog standard footballer. Where are the people calling me and everyone out now, silent.

This forum is summed up to a T with Lingard, in that he's shit alot of the time and everyone mentions it, he plays 1 good game and then he's the new Messi and the people calling him average get called out as haters etc, only then he goes on to play awfully again and the cycle continually repeats, with no end in sight. The reality is he should be replaced in the team, minimum, preferably sold.

el3mel

More importantly should we now we quote all those posts that mocked us for slaughtering him because he scored 2 goals against Bayern Cardiff or should we act more humble and not jumping on every chance to mock others opinions ?

UncleBob

See, this is what I was saying some posts back. Me and loads of other people were called out for being harsh on Lingard and everyone was declaring him as Messi lite again just because he performed well against Cardiff, I stuck to my guns and said he was average still, 26, no consistency, plays a decent match once in a blue moon. Lo and behold he goes and proves my point again today, weakest link in the team, he just isn't good, as I said he plays well once in a blue moon and the rest he's a bog standard footballer. Where are the people calling me and everyone out now, silent.

This forum is summed up to a T with Lingard, in that he's shit alot of the time and everyone mentions it, he plays 1 good game and then he's the new Messi and the people calling him average get called out as haters etc, only then he goes on to play awfully again and the cycle continually repeats, with no end in sight. The reality is he should be replaced in the team, minimum, preferably sold.
We'd be stupid to sell him unless he wants a move, but it's clear that he should be on the bench more often than not.

L1nk

He always sucks when he plays on the left, especially when Mata plays on the right as neither sticks wide. Martial is the lynchpin of our attack and without him everybody suffers.
Has absolutely nothing to do with him being a bang average footballer mind

Santoryo

ripping the reward
He'll be replaced in the starting line up once Sanchez returns.

With Sanchez and Lukaku returning he'll find it hard to make the starting line up. He's a good squad player.

Litch

Great squad player with occasional starts. Def one we can upgrade on....

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
More importantly should we now we quote all those posts that mocked us for slaughtering him because he scored 2 goals against Bayern Cardiff or should we act more humble and not jumping on every chance to mock others opinions ?
You must be humble. You can't come now and say that he was in his normal form today; invisible and useless. You can't do that. Be humble

Dante

Average bang
He needs to work on his youtube highlights or else nobody in this thread will ever judge him properly.

AR87

Has absolutely nothing to do with him being a bang average footballer mind
Putting words in my mouth must be fun. My point is as reactionary as people using his last performance to say he was otherwordly, it's equally stupid to expect him to shine in a position he never has.

Lingard is a good squad player. No matter what he's not good on the left and never has been. All of his best performances come in central positions or when he nominally plays off the right and can drift centrally.

Rajma

Playing him off the right without Mata is the way to go, I thought he looked exhausted at times too. Hopefully Sanchez is going to be available for the next game, needs some rest.

Stadjer

Better watch out.. you are going to be multiquoted and be called a 'hater' somewhere in the next few months when he has a good game again!

Invisible today.. like ive been saying, he just not good enough to start games. Technically he did get an assist for the second Pogba goal though... so i guess the 'fanboys' will point that out.

Verminator

Not a good performance today. Needs to set his low level higher to deserve his spot in the starting 11.
He deserves to be in this squad, and I like what he brings.
Note: This does not mean I'm calling him world class or a world beater, like some people say, if you don't despise him.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Thought he did pretty well tbh. Worked hard, played his part and linked up well with everyone. Was the least impactful out of our attackers though, I'd agree with that. Still though, he always plays an important role and will have an important role under Ole for sure. People thinking Sanchez will just walk in and take his spot... he has to put in the same work rate as Lingard does both in training and on the pitch first of all, and show the versatility to play anywhere in the attack (we know he can from before his time here), and show the same understanding with Pogba, Martial and Rashford that Lingard has. Don't even want to get started with Lukaku, he can only play through the middle and will be far more limiting to our style than when we play any of Rashford/Martial/Sanchez there.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Has anyone noticed him today ? Invisible and pointless for 90 minutes but I'm sure some will come and talk about "movement" and "running a lot".
Even his off ball movement today wasn’t good enough. But if you think most people only mentioning his off ball movement as random excuse come out of nowhere then you got no clue at all.

criticalanalysis

Again it's the width issue. I have no problem with players cutting in and drifting but you've got to be precise and sharp on the ball if you're a maurauding forward player.

Rashford was the centre forward but he popped up on the channels more times effectively that probably Mata and Lingard combined.

Funny thing that Mata lacks the athletic ability of Lingard and vice versa, Lingard lacks the finesse and poise of Mata.

Devil may care

Was tasked with Martial's role today and struggled, his best attribute is movement and he couldn't utilize that as much as he was the one trying to run with the ball quite often.

Mcking

He was anonymous today. He doesn't really fit that left wing role. He is much better in central areas.

mewnew11

Putting words in my mouth must be fun. My point is as reactionary as people using his last performance to say he was otherwordly, it's equally stupid to expect him to shine in a position he never has.

Lingard is a good squad player. No matter what he's not good on the left and never has been. All of his best performances come in central positions or when he nominally plays off the right and can drift centrally.
A good squad player is someone like an ole or a chicharito. Not a lingard whose best trait is making good runs

el3mel

Even his off ball movement today wasn’t good enough. But if you think most people only mentioning his off ball movement as random excuse come out of nowhere then you got no clue at all.
It really is. We hear nothing about Lingard except his movement and running on the pitch when he doesn't score which is more often than not. It has been the case ever since he started playing regularly from LVG days.

Mediocre player that shouldn't be starting as much games as he's now.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He was probably the player that missed Martial the most, his good movement is useless when we had to be so narrow.
That said its not like he was useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.