4.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevoc

As harsh as this will sound, if the player is available then what goes on in his life should be of no concern to us.
We all cope with our issues our own way, if Lingard is available then he cannot have it both ways, he has to be criticized for it. Ole isn't holding a gun to his head to play. He makes himself available despite his issues knowing Ole loves him and will use, I'd even go as far as saying it's selfish from him to do that.
If the issues are serious then do whatever necessary to cope with them.
It should be of concern to Solskjaer though in terms of whats best for his team and his player.

I think either Lingard needs to ask for time out of the spotlight to sort his head out or Solskjaer needs to make the decision for him.

And i agree players need to take responsibility for their own performance levels and deserve criticism when those levels drop well below what they are capable of.

memelord

Yet another nothing player that would struggle to get a game in the championship.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It should be of concern to Solskjaer though in terms of whats best for his team and his player.

I think either Lingard needs to ask for time out of the spotlight to sort his head out or Solskjaer needs to make the decision for him.

And i agree players need to take responsibility for their own performance levels and deserve criticism when those levels drop well below what they are capable of.
Yes you are right regarding the manager. I never meant to say Ole isn't without blame, as far as I'm concerned he is the one most responsible even.

MadMike

I love the rhetoric that Lingard doesn't pick himself. I mean, what the actual feck. No player picks themselves ffs; it would make every single player on the planet immune to criticism if a player isn't to be criticised because he doesn't pick himself.

Yes, Ole deserves criticism for picking Lingard but Lingard deserves to be criticised for being fecking terrible for over a year now. The two are separate issues.
It's quite normal my dude. Length of time is very important. It's completely rational to criticise a player for a having a shit game, or even a shit run of form. It happens all the time. But if a player has been consistently shit it's very rational to shift the blame towards the manager for either not being able to get the best out of the player or for continuing to play him (or both). And there comes a time when you have to accept that the player might just not be that good and that's his level.

Lingard has been consistently atrocious. In fact many are in agreement that 2017/18 might have been the odd one out, among many seasons of mediocrity before and after. So blaming Lingard for not being up to the standard we expect, seems a bit pointless right now to many of us. Like staring at a lump of coal and being angry at it that it's not gold.

Last edited:

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Cannot grasp how a player like him have managed to play almost 200 matches (all competitions) for a club like United. This is his 6th season as part of the main squad. Although he has been useful in periods, the last couple of seasons he has been dreadful. And yet, he still manages to start in the number 10 position for United. A position that is expected to be the creative nerve of the team. It's absolutely baffling when you think about it. A complete nothing player.
England 24 times (courtesy of Google)

Sultan

Yes you are right regarding the manager. I never meant to say Ole isn't without blame, as far as I'm concerned he is the one most responsible even.
It's not just Ole.

Did Moyes give him a game or was it LvG who gave him his debut? So he's played under various managers at United and international level. He must either have some spell over the most distinguished coaches in the world or us fans are missing something.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United

kouroux

It's not just Ole.

Did Moyes give him a game or was it LvG who gave him his debut? So he's played under various managers at United and international level. He must either have some spell over the most distinguished coaches in the world or us fans are missing something.
We aren't missing anything, Lingard is a sorcerer

Robbie Boy

It's quite normal my dude. Length of time is very important. It's completely rational to criticise a player for a having a shit game, or even a shit run of form. It happens all the time. But if a player has been consistently shit it's very rational to shift the blame towards the manager for either not being able to get the best out of the player or for continuing to play him (or both). And there comes a time when you have to accept that the player might just not be that good and that's his level.

Lingard has been consistently atrocious. In fact many are in agreement that 2017/18 might have been the odd one out, among many seasons of mediocrity before and after. So blaming Lingard for not being up to the standard we expect, seems a bit pointless right now.
I do get that but it's very much a two way system. Both Ole and Lingard have no business being here but that's a sign of how shambolically we're run. Ole should be critisised for playing him but then we can also blame former managers who indulged him.

But it would be fairly mental if people didn't come to this thread to critisise him and vent at just how poor he is. I've been a huge critic of his for years now but what he's been displaying over the last year or so is genuinely worse than I ever thought he could get.

No Love

Is it still true that Adam Johnson has more Premier League assists than him in the last six seasons, despite being in jail for the last three years?

A work colleague just sent me that. I mean.. That can’t be, can it?

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Is it still true that Adam Johnson has more Premier League assists than him in the last six seasons, despite being in jail for the last three years?

It is

DoomSlayer

I do get that but it's very much a two way system. Both Ole and Lingard have no business being here but that's a sign of how shambolically we're run. Ole should be critisised for playing him but then we can also blame former managers who indulged him.

But it would be fairly mental if people didn't come to this thread to critisise him and vent at just how poor he is. I've been a huge critic of his for years now but what he's been displaying over the last year or so is genuinely worse than I ever thought he could get.
He has regressed, just like Shaw. It's truly baffling but both players need to be out of the squad for the next few months, until they sort their heads and form out. We need brave players, who are confident enough and ready physically to battle for every single game.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
It's not just Ole.

I wish people stop with this nonsense. Those 'distinguished' coaches failed in the end.

I don't understand how people can defend an attacker with no goals or assists for a year

Winrar

Says it all when rival fans keep clamoring for him to start for us.

re: his mental issues. Regardless of whether or not he is using this to excuse his abysmal performances (I really hope not!), I don’t understand why Ole insists on lingard playing games for us if he knows it’s a real problem with him.

Sultan

I wish people stop with this nonsense. Those 'distinguished' coaches failed in the end.

I don't understand how people can defend an attacker with no goals or assists for a year
It was irony, Ayush. Get with it, bhai.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

It's not quite as bad as it sounds, as Lingard basically didn't play in the first two of those six seasons. So it's really only four and a half seasons for him, not six.

It's not just Ole.

Up until this season he was a decent option. He and Mata were basically fighting it out for one spot and the team as a whole normally played better when it was Lingard who got the nod. Whether that was as a #10 or on the right wing, he was better for the team than Mata so he deserved to normally be a starter despite a lot of criticism.

This season has been completely different. Right from the beginning he's been terrible (I remember his pre-season performance against Leeds was one of the worst matches I've seen a professional footballer have). Mata has been terrible as well so if it was just the two of them it'd suck but it might be somewhat understandable. But this time we also have Pereira and he has been comfortably better than both as a #10. Still not great, but a long way ahead of the other two. Up until the last month I felt Ole had done the right thing with them as Pereira had rightfully won the starting spot, but more recently he's been going back to Lingard far more than he should be.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I think he needs a break from the first team, he looks frightened when he receives the ball, and makes too many errors. We really need to be promoting some of the academy lads to give them minutes on the pitch, that will be the best thing for the club long term.

manunited1919

:lol: So that warrants calling the man a prick? Okay then.
I didn’t call him a prick, did I? I just pointed out that Ole is disrespecting fans by not playing Lingard, so it’s not surprising some fans will not show respect to Ole either. But most of us do respect Ole in one way or another, even though he does some idiotic things.

edcunited1878

It's very evident that he's crumbling under the demands and expectations of his role. It significantly continues to hinder the team even when he knows exactly what he needs to do for the team. He simply cannot do it on a consistent enough basis relative to how much he's playing and his position.

Part of it is due to the lack of true quality in the team and just the lack of quantity. Pereria should be first choice #10 then Lingard and Mata if necessary. If we're trying to completely counter a team like City or Spurs, then maybe Lingard can help much more.

If he's expected to play an advanced role like he has this year, he must be moved on or be 3rd choice like Mata has been and accept that role. He's been given more food on his plate this year and been invited to the dinner table a lot. He's not capable of delivering the goods at this rate. Moving forward, 15 to 20 total appearances at United are his limits as a bench/squad option.

Shocking how much he's regressed this year.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Everyone can see Lingard is just not United quality and yet, we gave him a big contract.

He's a symptom of how sick our club is. Contract renewals are cheaper than buying actual top players that would have us challenge. With average dross like him, Shaw, Mata, we have just enough numbers to compete but not enough quality to challenge for the trophies we should be challenging for.

The ownership are just happy to coast along now, ala Arsenal the past decade with their top four aims.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I almost feel bad for him. He has been terrible since he made that 0.01% comment. Then I remember he made that comment.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Was he drunk or being sarcastic?
He was serious. It was early last season, Mahrez had a slow start at City and Lingard was coming off his decent 17-18 season. He was pissed at Pep for starting Mahrez more than Sane, he loves Sane.

With that being said, Mahrez at his worst >>>>>>>>>> Lingard at his best

Kostov

It's not quite as bad as it sounds, as Lingard basically didn't play in the first two of those six seasons. So it's really only four and a half seasons for him, not six.

Up until this season he was a decent option. He and Mata were basically fighting it out for one spot and the team as a whole normally played better when it was Lingard who got the nod.
Whether that was as a #10 or on the right wing, he was better for the team than Mata so he deserved to normally be a starter despite a lot of criticism.

This season has been completely different. Right from the beginning he's been terrible (I remember his pre-season performance against Leeds was one of the worst matches I've seen a professional footballer have). Mata has been terrible as well so if it was just the two of them it'd suck but it might be somewhat understandable. But this time we also have Pereira and he has been comfortably better than both as a #10. Still not great, but a long way ahead of the other two. Up until the last month I felt Ole had done the right thing with them as Pereira had rightfully won the starting spot, but more recently he's been going back to Lingard far more than he should be.
If you actually watched him play without a Jlingz blind specs on, you wouldn't say that. He was an abysmal footballer for the 90% of his time in the first team. Some of you just fail to admit that.

drdoityourself

Yet again, the match at 0-0 and his lack of vision and ability has direct implication to the outcome of the game. A pass to James isn't even a bad option, but it was underhit and slightly behind him, just like every pass he seems to make these days.

Solskjaer just had another press conference, didn't seem to be a question about Lingard. How his awful, awful continued inclusion in the starting line up goes on without question is piss poor journalism. Everything related to the current squad seems to be about Pogba, these jokers like Lingard are escaping the spotlight yet again.

crossy1686

career ending

Yet again, the match at 0-0 and his lack of vision and ability has direct implication to the outcome of the game. A pass to James isn't even a bad option, but it was underhit and slightly behind him, just like every pass he seems to make these days.

Solskjaer just had another press conference, didn't seem to be a question about Lingard. How his awful, awful continued inclusion in the starting line up goes on without question is piss poor journalism. Everything related to the current squad seems to be about Pogba, these jokers like Lingard are escaping the spotlight yet again.
He isn't good enough for the Premier League. I can't think of a team he would improve.

kouroux

I have seen amateurs footballers with better decision making in similar situation.

iKeano

He's a fraud. Has been for years.
BEIN commentator called him out, all he does is take up space on a pitch. I genuinely believe there are better players on pub teams.
0.01% Beans beans beans. Cretin.

Contract extension incoming when a miraculously uninjured signs for PSG in a week or two.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
If you actually watched him play without a Jlingz blind specs on, you wouldn't say that. He was an abysmal footballer for the 90% of his time in the first team. Some of you just fail to admit that.
Jlingz blind specs? Seriously?

He's never been good enough, but for the majority of the last couple of years he's been the best option that we had already in our squad. Obviously that's due to how poor his competitor has been and how poor we've been in the transfer market, but it doesn't negate the fact that he was the best option for the majority of that time. I've also been pointing out how incredibly bad he's been this season right from our second pre-season game. Does that sound like somebody who has 'Jlingz blind specs'?

RyRy11

Watching the game I think James was the correct option he just needed to position the ball better so James could take it on his stride. The vision is there just the ability/confidence he is lacking.

romufc

Watching the game I think James was the correct option he just needed to position the ball better so James could take it on his stride. The vision is there just the ability/confidence he is lacking.
The confidence is completely shot.

The more it plays the worse it gets, the Ole has to realise this and the best option is for him to take some time out of the firing line.

We do not have a squad but playing Lingard week in week out with no joy will make things worse. He can only gain it back once the team is playing well.

tjb

He's been terrible for years. You cannot have an attacking player with no end product whatsoever playing for united. In addition to this, he provides no physical presence or support to the midfield, no supporting presence to the flanks. In possession when attacking, he does not have the quality to create chances for himself or others ( the main idea of his position). Out of possession in attack, he simply drifts around, not providing options in the right areas, almost like he avoids the ball. Defensively he provides no defensive presence and commits too many fouls for an attacking midfielder. For someone who is known for his movement, he always seems to be a step behind the game. Poor player, should not even be a reserve here talk less of starting.

L1nk

He's been terrible for years. You cannot have an attacking player with no end product whatsoever playing for united. In addition to this, he provides no physical presence or support to the midfield, no supporting presence to the flanks. In possession when attacking, he does not have the quality to create chances for himself or others ( the main idea of his position). Out of possession in attack, he simply drifts around, not providing options in the right areas, almost like he avoids the ball. Defensively he provides no defensive presence and commits too many fouls for an attacking midfielder. For someone who is known for his movement, he always seems to be a step behind the game. Poor player, should not even be a reserve here talk less of starting.
This is exactly it, people here banging on about his personal life seem to be selectively ignoring the fact he was garbage long before this as well, and he'll be garbage long after. He's just a poor poor player who wouldn't even get the time of day here if he wasn't from the academy, that's the bottom line really, better players have left us from the academy and yet somehow he snaked his way through and convinced everyone, even the National team, that he was worthy of his place.

Status
Not open for further replies.