Jesse Lingard

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
So you would sell Young and Valencia to give Januzaj and Lingard route into the team. Fair enough. Not sure Moyes will get rid of Valencia but something will have to give. As has been mention, United are overstocked in the 3 attacking positions behind Van Persie.
Valencia we may still keep, but Young definitely have to go.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Thankfully you're not the manager then!
The only controversial selection here is whether we should play Young or give more chances to the youngster (Januzaj or Lingard), In that case you are right, our manager always prefer to start Young on the left, ahead of anyone else.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Many years ago SAF gave an unknown 18 yr old a first team run ahead of an English international. I wonder where that belief in youths had gone these days expecially considering the lack of quality we have on the flanks. Theres nothing wrong with jesse being sent on loan. However the likes of zaha and januzaj must play more games. Theres little to justify playing Young/giggs ahead of them.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Many years ago SAF gave an unknown 18 yr old a first team run ahead of an English international. I wonder where that belief in youths had gone these days expecially considering the lack of quality we have on the flanks. Theres nothing wrong with jesse being sent on loan. However the likes of zaha and januzaj must play more games. Theres little to justify playing Young/giggs ahead of them.
While I agree it's different now in regards to giving young players a chance and I would prefer to see it return to the old ways. I don't think the belief has gone, I think it's just that the game has changed since those years. The game doesn't allow for patience, a club needs results immediately and we see that with buying players over potential.

I think Moyes will stay true though and bring though players if he thinks they will do a job.

devilish

While I agree it's different now in regards to giving young players a chance and I would prefer to see it return to the old ways. I don't think the belief has gone, I think it's just that the game has changed since those years. The game doesn't allow for patience, a club needs results immediately and we see that with buying players over potential.

I think Moyes will stay true though and bring though players if he thinks they will do a job.
Weve got the likes of welbeck, valencia, a 40 yr old giggs and young on the flanks and not ronaldo/giggs in their prime. How good are these players to keep the likes of januzaj on the bench week in week out,

Eric'sCollar

Weve got the likes of welbeck, valencia, a 40 yr old giggs and young on the flanks and not ronaldo/giggs in their prime. How good are these players to keep the likes of januzaj on the bench week in week out,
I didn't disagree, I would like to see these players thrown in, it's just I understand with managers going for what they know and can trust. Obviously those trusted can put in bad performances and the young players can have a blinder but with what is at stake, a lot of managers will player the percentages. While I don't always agree with it, I can fully understand it.

devilish

I didn't disagree, I would like to see these players thrown in, it's just I understand with managers going for what they know and can trust. Obviously those trusted can put in bad performances and the young players can have a blinder but with what is at stake, a lot of managers will player the percentages. While I don't always agree with it, I can fully understand it.
I understand your point however one must also consider the fact that nowadays our kids are being courted by the big clubs. In italy theres ample rumors that juventus want to sign januzaj. If we dont play them we will lose them. Is it worth to rely on a more experienced but average player only to lose out on a 15-20m rated talent who could provide us with top quality football for more then a decade a few months later?

Eric'sCollar

I understand your point however one must also consider the fact that nowadays our kids are being courted by the big clubs. In italy theres ample rumors that juventus want to sign januzaj. If we dont play them we will lose them. Is it worth to rely on a more experienced but average player only to lose out on a 15-20m rated talent who could provide us with top quality football for more then a decade a few months later?
It's a balancing act that Sir Alex got right more often than not (yes Pogba proved to be a costly decision) but that's life.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
lol at leftback for last goal, kicking, outmuscling, using evrything to stop that Birmingham player making 5 fouls and still gets beaten.

ricky-romeo

giggs is a long living legend but he must step down this summer and give the youngsters a chance in the first team. i agree that januzaj, zaha and lingard are all capable of becoming top class players for United. there is no need for us to splash out ridiculous money on attacking wingers now.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
In what way is Pedro an 'enabler' of quality players?

Brightonian

In what way is Pedro an 'enabler' of quality players?
He's never been one of Barca's stand-out superstars, but he's got the technical ability and intelligence to keep up with the invention and guile of the likes of Iniesta and Messi, making the runs for them to find when they draw the opposition defence to them, or providing the final one-two to complete intricate passing moves.

In the same way Lingard's contribution to a game has often been more understated than each youth team's 'star' creative player - Januzaj last spring, or Morrison and Pogba, or Eikrem - but they are only able to do what they do because of the consistency with which he is able to produce the right ball, the right run, a calm finish to complete a clever passing move.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
A guy I know who supports Birmingham asked me on Friday if he was a goal-getter since he'd been given the no.9. Not really, I said. I don't think he rates my input anymore.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's never been one of Barca's stand-out superstars, but he's got the technical ability and intelligence to keep up with the invention and guile of the likes of Iniesta and Messi, making the runs for them to find when they draw the opposition defence to them, or providing the final one-two to complete intricate passing moves.

In the same way Lingard's contribution to a game has often been more understated than each youth team's 'star' creative player - Januzaj last spring, or Morrison and Pogba, or Eikrem - but they are only able to do what they do because of the consistency with which he is able to produce the right ball, the right run, a calm finish to complete a clever passing move.
I thought that was meant to be Cleverley?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I think he improved his finishing/poaching skills in last year or so, I can't remember him scoring that many for reserves and academy before, so to see him improving in this area is great.

He was always type of player who assists more than he scores, he was always involved in the game probably even more than he should have too, I don't think he was spending too much time in the box before at all. I could be wrong though, but that's how I remember him anyway.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
He'll always be more of a maker than a taker but he's a solid finisher nonetheless.

twitter thread suggester
A guy I know who supports Birmingham asked me on Friday if he was a goal-getter since he'd been given the no.9. Not really, I said. I don't think he rates my input anymore.
Neither do any of us to be fair...

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
good to hear he did well on his first start for them. Hopefully he can put in some more impressive performances while he is out there and learn a whole bunch

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I wouldn't have said he was a "lethal" finisher from his time in the reserves, but something over the summer seems to have just clicked for Jesse.

In the pre season tour he was scoring for fun, and now on his debut he scores 4, all decent finishes too

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
It'll be very interesting to see how he gets on in the next game - you'd expect the opposition will have a better idea of him after such a great debut, and might give him a harder time. If manages to make an impact again, then it'll be difficult not to get excited for him.

Just seen an interview with him on SSN saying that he wouldn't be against extending the loan if United wanted to do that, but he hadn't heard from Moyes recently so he wasn't sure what would happen.

Drifter

American
Birmingham City manager Lee Clark believes that on-loan Manchester United midfielder Jesse Lingard has taken a shine to life at St. Andrew's, something he is happy with as he seeks to extend the 20-year-old's spell.

Lingard is only at Birmingham on a month's loan and started his stint in style by scoring all four goals for Clark's men in the weekend's 4-1 win over Sheffield Wednesday.

And Clark feels he has an ally as he seeks to increase Lingard's loan – the player himself.

"United want him in a team that's doing well, and in helping us win, he ticked another box", Clark told the BBC.

"They want him to play as much as possible. And Jesse has clearly already taken a liking to us."

Clark is now at pains to emphasise to Manchester United the benefits of leaving Lingard at St. Andrew's for a little longer.

"All I can do is point out what we've done with previously loan players.

"We've shown we can do well by these loan players. I saw Ravel Morrison score for West Ham at the weekend.

"He's now doing well for them. And there are others. Dan Burn and Kyle Bartley are getting stronger with every game."

Joemo

whistling in the wind
He'd be a great fit at Swansea and the Europa League action would do him the world of good.

jeston

Didn't play today as we've put a clause in his contract to not play in CC matches. Shows he could potentially return and play a part I suppose. B'ham with a good 3-1 over Swansea, btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.