Jesus | Arsenal Player (a very naughty boy)

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
I've got to admit I've never rated him particularly highly before today, but that was a damn good performance. Is that how he's been regularly playing lately or did he just raise his game against us?
That's how he's been all season.

But I do agree he needs to add more goals.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
We should have signed him.
He seems like he's exactly what we need. I am quite surprised he's much more than a pochaer he seemed at City city. His overal ablity to play as a no9 in a modern team is great. Superb dribbler, decent hold up play, on top of what we know his good finishing and movement, clever player too.

Not sure if City would sell to us though. Unlike Arsenal we are a true rival. After hopefully getting the right manager final, we're few good transfers windows away from competing for the title again.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s great but I do think he does lack the absolute killer instinct to be a consistent goalscorer, and was probably part of the reason Pep let him go.

mav_9me

He was and has been sensational. Basically bullied Varane. If we had him, we would be a lock for top 4

Wayne's World

He would have been the perfect striker for us and Ten Hag's system.

Absolutely integral to every Arsenal attack today, don't think Arsenal would look half as good If he wasn't playing

Zen

Central point of attack having an exceptional game and yet not feeling all threatened by him.... something doesn't overly add up. He's the same player he was at City.... playing a lot more minutes.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Central point of attack having an exceptional game and yet not feeling all threatened by him.... something doesn't overly add up. He's the same player he was at City.... playing a lot more minutes.
Yup. He seems to getting far too much praise for a couple of moments of good hold up play. Saka and Martinelli were the main threat today. We generally handled Jesus quite well and he seemed to constantly get sucked far too deep. Not in the box looking to get the end of chances when they needed him to be.

Played very well yet didn't feel threatened by him in the slightest. The perfect Arsenal player.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Yup. He seems to getting far too much praise for a couple of moments of good hold up play. Saka and Martinelli were the main threat today. We generally handled Jesus quite well and he seemed to constantly get sucked far too deep. Not in the box looking to get the end of chances when they needed him to be.
Yeah. He was more interested in a personal duel with Varane than actually winning a football match.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Not a shot on target from him. Typical arsenal praise. Good moments, look fancy, ultimately pointless.

Chief123

He’s been brilliant so far but I can also see why Pep played him on the wings a lot. He’s got great strength and work rate. Unfortunately I don’t think he’s clinical enough to be a main striker. He’s a Firmino for me. They would need goalscorers around him to play off him. Saka and Martinelli won’t have enough goals between them.

eire-red

He was and has been sensational. Basically bullied Varane. If we had him, we would be a lock for top 4
He flatters to deceive a lot in my eyes. Our starting CF scored two and assisted the other, essentially deciding the game.

Jesus will probably score in and around the
12-15 goal mark, ultimately not good enough for a top finish. Doesn't score enough in big games either. Very good player, but not really when and where it matters.

The Purley King

He was excellent today.
Agree a little with the “looks good but what came of it” comments but at 45? Seems like a bargain

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I’ve always called him a tap-in merchant, which he basically was at City but he’s got so much more to his game. Was very impressive today.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He flatters to deceive a lot in my eyes. Our starting CF scored two and assisted the other, essentially deciding the game.

Jesus will probably score in and around the
12-15 goal mark, ultimately not good enough for a top finish. Doesn't score enough in big games either. Very good player, but not really when and where it matters.
He makes them tick. His link up play is absolutely brilliant, he's brave too and loves to battle those much bigger defenders. I don't think we actually saw how good he is until now. Makes me think about Brazil's national side differently too. Said it in the match day thread, signing of the season.

the_cliff

Yeah Jesus is a big problem. Varane did well with with him (especially towards the end) but in general he was by FAR Arsenals most dangerous player. He's single-handedly transformed Arsenals attack and his work rate is unbelievable.

Arsenals season depends on him staying fit imo as his back up is nowhere near his level, the drop off between him and Nketieh is huge.

Ludens the Red

The current praise this player is getting is some of the most staggering instances of overrating I’ve ever seen.
Hes a good player, always has been. Great workrate, does a job for his team but will never hit significant goal scoring figures (he’s only scored in two of arsenals five games so far) . Nothing he is doing is new to the Jesus of Manchester City. Yet all of a sudden the praise currently being placed upon him is like he’s gone to some next level.

redcucumber

Yeah Jesus is a big problem. Varane did well with with him (especially towards the end) but in general he was by FAR Arsenals most dangerous player. He's single-handedly transformed Arsenals attack and his work rate is unbelievable.

Arsenals season depends on him staying fit imo as his back up is nowhere near his level, the drop off between him and Nketieh is huge.
Seriously? I felt like Martinelli and Saka were both far bigger threats. Jesus was often deep and nowhere near the the inside of the box. He was a nuisance but little more, today.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Seriously? I felt like Martinelli and Saka were both far bigger threats. Jesus was often deep and nowhere near the the inside of the box. He was a nuisance but little more, today.
Not to mention that the player he replaced (Lacazette) was also very good at dropping deep and winning the ball. Jesus wasn’t signed to do that.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Not sure where all the praise is coming from. He made a nuisance of himself and battled well but that's it. Never really looked a threat and I'm not sure he even managed a shot on target. If he was told to chase down every ball and fight for everything that just seems like unwise game management tbh.

the_cliff

Martinelli and Saka were bigger threats because of Jesus. The amount of times he dragged our CBs away, playing quick passes and spreading play so the wingers were in 1vs1 situations with our full backs. If Martinelli and Saka had better quality and end product it would have been a long day.

When Jesus misses a few games or is rested you'll see the difference in space and time Arsenals wide players have.

The Purley King

Martinelli and Saka were bigger threats because of Jesus. The amount of times he dragged our CBs away, playing quick passes and spreading play so the wingers were in 1vs1 situations with our full backs.

When Jesus misses a few games or is rested you'll see the difference in space and time Arsenals wide players have.
100% agree. He may not be the man that scores 40 goals but his movement and application means that other players get more space.
I think he’ll be really good for arsenal. Or any team he would have joined

cyberman

Needs to stay in the box more. Dropping deep and being an extra man may work in theory but all of his so called good work played into our hands.

eire-red

He makes them tick. His link up play is absolutely brilliant, he's brave too and loves to battle those much bigger defenders. I don't think we actually saw how good he is until now. Makes me think about Brazil's national side differently too. Said it in the match day thread, signing of the season.
That's a big call, but I suppose time will tell. Went off the boil too often for City, and I just feel he's not clinical enough. I'd say the signing of the season is his replacement, who's hit double figures already.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
That's a big call, but I suppose time will tell. Went off the boil too often for City, and I just feel he's not clinical enough. I'd say the signing of the season is his replacement, who's hit double figures already.
Yeah, obviously excluding him. But 45m is a snip. Imagine him leading the United line.

eire-red

Yeah, obviously excluding him. But 45m is a snip. Imagine him leading the United line.
He would offer a lot, but funnily enough I don't think he'd have been a difference maker in a game like today for us. And it is odd, because I'd rate him more than Rashford as a CF, yet he is coming away with two goals and an assist without all the good bits that Jesus did.

I just don't know what it is, clearly I just don't rate Jesus as highly as many on here, but will be interesting to see how he does come the end of the season.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
45m would have been a snip had he not been entering the last year of his contract.
He's an excellent professional and a full on workaholic.
To counter the Tap In Merchant charge he rarely got the opportunity to hit 25 yard Thunderbustards for City as the forwards were encouraged to keep on passing through packed low block defences.
He could score from further out though, the winner vs Southampton which secured the 100 points for the season was a thing of beauty.
Wish him well at Arsenal and for Brazil NT.

Dr Foo

He was fantastic, and integral to Arsenal's attack. He enabled Saka and Martinelli to be dangerous and was all over our defence, even if we had a good mentality to cope. Feels like the type of Striker we need in EtH's system, with very good hold up, link up play, dribbling etc. Even if he's not as prolific as the Haalands, this is compensated for boosting inputs from the other attackers too.

Strelok

What a bargain Arsenal got. Really wish we'd have him as our #9.

RVN1991

Agreed. I think people are jumping the gun on a decent performance today where tbh I didn't really feel he was all that threatening, just like this arsenal side, a lot of nice link up with not much end product at all.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Gabriel Jesus' performance yesterday was a reminder of how much systems make footballers.

Yesterday, Jesus' play with his back to goal was exemplary. Under Pep's management we never really saw that side of him. Pep didn't even really trust him to play centre forward.

I was surprised by how strong he was and how well he coped with the pressure of Martinez and Varane. It was like watching Carlos Tevez in his heyday.

SoCross

I thought he was excellent in the first half but then faded in the second where Saka became their main danger man.

Fab player and him being fit will determine Arsenal’s season.

Idxomer

He was great and did what Ten Hag expected Martial to do if he was fit.