Joe Rogan

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
He talks about Marxism an awful lot and in trying to disprove Marx he said "an employer would be mad to exploit his workers". He takes the word exploit literally in this, where Marx simply means a worker produces more value than he is paid. It's the mistake of someone with a very poor understanding of the subject.
Which assumes that some third party can determine the value a worker brings to a company and what he/she should be paid to compensate for it.

Bosws87

Anyone migrated from someone who you were introduced to via Joe Rogan.

I’ve ended up listening to loads of Tim Dillon he matches my exact type of humour

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Anyone migrated from someone who you were introduced to via Joe Rogan.

I’ve ended up listening to loads of Tim Dillon he matches my exact type of humour
Lex for me. I don't listen to him all that much to be honest but I like the guy.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Apart from answering with the cliched stuff (Iraq and the corporate media's role in pushing it, Chomsky's book on the whole thing), well before the rise of independent media, people in the UK believed that the number of people on benefits was much higher than it was, the benefits they received were much higher than the reality, and the number of incoming migrants and of Muslims was much higher than it was. This was from a rich diet of corporate media. I could find a related link from 2016, but remember similar stories in the early 2010s, and probably it was an ongoing thing then too.

Another slightly less cliched criticism of the msm (BBC in particular) is this guy's columns about the role of lobbyists and PR in media that is taken as impartial. I could find a few links:
https://www.monbiot.com/2013/12/12/puppet-show/
https://www.monbiot.com/2014/07/01/purging-dissent/
Is this the best and appropriate reply to musks tweet that you can think of?

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Is there an alternative meaning of exploit I'm not aware of?

To me that just smacks of someone who's ignorant of the working conditions of millions of people around the world.
Exploit used in this way simply means the worker produces more profit than he is paid. So basically any properly functioning capitalist business exploits their workers. It could be a plumber who hires an apprentice and pays him £50 but charges him out for £100, or it could be a law firm who pays a lawyer £100 an hour but charges him out for £200 an hour.

@Kinsella what I meant by value is profit, sorry for the confusion.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Exploit used in this way simply means the worker produces more profit than he is paid. So basically any properly functioning capitalist business exploits their workers. It could be a plumber who hires an apprentice and pays him £50 but charges him out for £100, or it could be a law firm who pays a lawyer £100 an hour but charges him out for £200 an hour.

Sounds like you don't know what exploitation means

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I often wonder if people have really listened to a whole range of his stuff rather than just jumping on the 'he's a nazi right winger' bandwagon.
Honest question: Does he give out a pamphlet or something with this talking point for his followers to use when he's criticized? I have a friend who may be his lone female fan, and she always get super pissed when I point out all of the offensive and incorrect things he's said. She always asks for proof and if i've listened to his stuff. Of course when I supply proof, she deflects.

I just finished reading a thread on Reddit where his defenders were going for the same "but have you listened to his whole catalogue?" defense. It's bizarre.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Honest question: Does he give out a pamphlet or something with this talking point for his followers to use when he's criticized? I have a friend who may be his lone female fan, and she always get super pissed when I point out all of the offensive and incorrect things he's said. She always asks for proof and if i've listened to his stuff. Of course when I supply proof, she deflects.

I just finished reading a thread on Reddit where his defenders were going for the same "but have you listened to his whole catalogue?" defense. It's bizarre.
But have you read all of fergieisold posts on redcafe?

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
I'm looking forward to the Peterson episode.

fergieisold

The point I'm making is people are too polarised one way or the other. Petersons done plenty of great stuff...and clearly stuff that hasn't stood up to proper debate.

Conor

The point I'm making is people are too polarised one way or the other. Petersons done plenty of great stuff...and clearly stuff that hasn't stood up to proper debate.
This argument makes no sense, I don't understand why anyone uses it. Supposedly doing some 'great stuff' for a few years doesn't absolve anyone from spouting nonsense for ages.

Conor

What argument? It’s the reality. He’s clearly done both good and bad stuff. I’m really struggling to see why that’s a problem.
Anyone can be right about a few things, it doesn't negate them talking complete and utter shite about everything else. Nobody has to take into account some basic thing that Peterson may have said that is common consensus when assessing him.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant

And my response still applies - Marx proceeds on the assumption that a third party can determine the profit a worker brings to a company and what he/she should be paid to compensate for it

His work is built on many such false assumptions.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
I've only posted in the last few pages so...to be fair it might've already happened. :lol:

And given the tone of the thread I wouldn't be surprised.

NotThatSoph

And my response still applies - Marx proceeds on the assumption that a third party can determine the profit a worker brings to a company and what he/she should be paid to compensate for it

His work is built on many such false assumptions.
De does not.

Last edited:

Gambit

You don't think much before typing them posts do you?
Trust me that was well thought out. Heck I could have gone with the Gestapo, SS, lots of things. The joke would still work. Holocaust being extreme though gave it added punch.

Gambit

Is this the dawn of Gambit's Law?
The at some point during an internet conversation Gambit will chime in with something unfunny or offensive in the belief he's being hilarious and the only person it amuses is himself law.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
How much Marx have you read?
I've read the Communist Manifesto a number of times (I've got a copy on the bookshelf in front of me), but I haven't completed Das Kapital.

Last edited: