John Stones | Performances

padr81

Supports
Man City
Where does Sane fit in that formation?
he doesn't but it was Pep's first idea this season, he largely stumbled upon the Sane/Delph combo because of Mendy's injury. Sane and Sterling could likely have been benched for a lot of the season if not for that injury. Who knows how different things would be. Pep even tried playing Sane at wingback to make the formation work early days but he was terrible at it.

Our early season formation was

------------------------Ederson-----------------------------
------------Kompany--Stones--Otamendi-----------------
----------------------Fernandinho--------------------------
Walker----------Silva-----------------KDB----------Mendy
--------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------Aguero---------Jesus-------------------

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I can see us return to 3 at the back like early season when Mendy returns. I think before Mendy's injury and during the preseason Pep favored that. A trio of Stones, Laporte and Otamdendi with Walker and Mendy on the wings. Of course it won't be used every game but Pep was leaning towards that as a way to make playing Jesus and Aguero play together. I would say atm he's definately 4th choice.
Which midfielder or attacker would be sacrificed?

padr81

Supports
Man City
Which midfielder or attacker would be sacrificed?
Personally I like the 433, but Sane and Sterling were the likely casualties, first 5 or 6 games of the season we played without them.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
he doesn't but it was Pep's first idea this season, he largely stumbled upon the Sane/Delph combo because of Mendy's injury. Sane and Sterling could likely have been benched for a lot of the season if not for that injury. Who knows how different things would be. Pep even tried playing Sane at wingback to make the formation work early days but he was terrible at it.

Our early season formation was

------------------------Ederson-----------------------------
------------Kompany--Stones--Otamendi-----------------
----------------------Fernandinho--------------------------
Walker----------Silva-----------------KDB----------Mendy
--------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------Aguero---------Jesus-------------------
Would be a huge mistake dropping Sane.
He's a huge reason you lot open up teams.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Would be a huge mistake dropping Sane.
He's a huge reason you lot open up teams.
Yup but what I'm saying is Pep had the formation and style that went so well this season as our 2nd way of playing. His original plan was the above.

All early season we played that formation. I could well see it being the formation we use v Liverpool on Tuesday given Pep played 3 wingers and started neither Jesus nor Aguero today.

The general idea is that we have 2 players pushed forward who can hold the width so we can create overloads, with the above Pep was probably thinking it creates 6 attackers with 1 deeper as opposed to the 433 which has 5 players advancing on the defensive line with 2 sitting deep.

It's also the formation he used in the 5-0 v Liverpool.

padr81

Supports
Man City
He's injured according to some on other forum but I can't find any official info.

Actually its on the official site, nevermind.

vangagal

Nowhere to be found again.
When will the press pick up on it?
He is on incubator to be ready to become a monster of ball playing defender world has never seen before. Its a plot by Santo Baldy to shock the world of football. We are not ready to embrace him yet according to Santo Baldy.

#50milfailureofcourse

Gazza

How are his long term prospects of being first choice at City? Now they have Laporte, still have Kompany and Otamendi, and will most likely be after another CB if not this summer then next.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Nowhere to be found again.
When will the press pick up on it?
Guardiola said he's been injured the past few weeks.

“We have problems, we have injuries. We don’t have a lot of players for the next games.

“Aguero is injured. He was injured before the game but made a huge effort to help us for 10 to 15 minutes.

“After the actions from Ashley Young against United, he had problems with his knee and could not train.”

“Fernandinho is suspended. Mendy is out. Stones is out. We have 14 players for the next game.”

padr81

Supports
Man City
How are his long term prospects of being first choice at City? Now they have Laporte, still have Kompany and Otamendi, and will most likely be after another CB if not this summer then next.
I think he has a long term future if we revert to a back 3. He was our best defender until his injury but has been shit since. I think he'll outlast Kompany and Otamendi here for sure but I don't think he'll ever be the first name on the teamsheet.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
If he can get back to his early season form he should fine since Kompany has injury issues and Otamendi is not a natural fit for Pep's system. But, his early season form is starting to seem like a fluke.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
He'll be fine long term. Was rushed back after his hamstring injury IMo, before then he was near perfect this season.

padr81

Supports
Man City
If he can get back to his early season form he should fine since Kompany has injury issues and Otamendi is not a natural fit for Pep's system. But, his early season form is starting to seem like a fluke.
I think its more that he played in a back 3 more often than not, than a fluke.

wythyred

Been very good so far.

He has such potential, he gets a lot of stick on here but i wish we bought him tbf.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
It would be sort of funny if he makes the World Cup team of the tournament because he scored twice against Panama. And then makes the FIFA team of the Year because he made the World Cup team of the tournament.

Stacks

Been very good so far.

He has such potential, he gets a lot of stick on here but i wish we bought him tbf.
Hes not a very good defender hence his omission from his club 1st team. His potential is impossible to determine as he doesn't seem special in any aspect in defending. cannot even name the attackers he was playing against

Been very good so far.

Except for the fact he was directly responsible for the only goal England have conceded.

With all his mistakes at club level it's the same theme; he never seems to know whats going on around him.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
See this thread has been deathly fecking silent over the past week or so. Wonder why.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Still got a mistake in him,just hasn't had enough pressure.

Harry Maguire, Young and Trippier have been excellent,particularly the former

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Really lie Trippier. Had no idea he was this good. Pace to burn, excellent delivery and has really good technique.

I see why Spurs let Walker go to City so easily when they had this guy to take over.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Still got a mistake in him,just hasn't had enough pressure.

Harry Maguire, Young and Trippier have been excellent,particularly the former
Young has been bang average, just hasn't been tested an awful lot defensively yet. Going forward he's been predictable and easy to defend against in open-play.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
Nice to see Stones getting some praise, he's been really good in the WC so far. His partnership with Maguire is very effective. He started last season well but it derailed after his injury. Hopefully he continues this form.

izec

Keane is right. The ball watching and his lack of awareness were criminal. Look at the reaction of Mandzukic and Stones, says it all.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
Keane is right. The ball watching and his lack of awareness were criminal. Look at the reaction of Mandzukic and Stones, says it all.
In his defence though, Mandzukic was behind Stones and in front of Maguire. Maguire is the one who is more aware of his position so surely he shoulders more of the blame?

izec

In his defence though, Mandzukic was behind Stones and in front of Maguire. Maguire is the one who is more aware of his position so surely he shoulders more of the blame?
Yes. Maguire should have done better. I think playing in a back three and only having Mandzukic centrally, they both thought the other one will take it, without knowing if he will. It started from not challenging the header to Perisic (Trippier) to the ball rolling between Stones and Maguire, needing smelling the danger. Mandzukic was looking down after the first cross, looked at Perisic and made the reaction for a run immediately. He smelled it with all his experience and fight. England are ok, but paying attention to these sort of situations makes a world cup winner. Same for Walker, who wanted to head the ball and came too late against Perisic with his foot.

I thought England had problems in the whole tournament about communication and organisation back there. Every game, they gifted a few chances to opponents due to lack of communication and disorganisation or some individual feck up from someone. Stones, Walker and Maguire didnt work great together, that goal was a nice example of it.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

He and Laporte both had excellent showings against Liverpool's attack, both in winning duels and keeping the ball away from Liverpool's press, so much so that Klopp told his forwards to back off.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Laporte starts whenever fit but, Stones has not really cemented himself as Laporte's CB partner yet. Otamendi and Kompany have been rotated in that position but, by what Pep wants in CBs it should be Stones.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Laporte starts whenever fit but, Stones has not really cemented himself as Laporte's CB partner yet. Otamendi and Kompany have been rotated in that position but, by what Pep wants in CBs it should be Stones.
Kompany and Otamendi need games so I understand an element of rotation just not sure why it's always Stones rather than Laporte that makes way.
Maybe later in the season he'll flip it if Laporte starts to wear down.