John Stones | Performances

ash_86

He's simply not good. If he was in any other team, he would look so bad.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He's made more direct goal mistakes this season than I can remember from someone like Smalling for last year or so, and we still here have our fans defending Stones and saying he is having excellent season and criticising Smalling for every average game he has and saying he is not good enough.

cyberman

He was unlucky with the injury. You could see the method of his improvement but he was injured before it became a habit so his progress was reset.
It happens to Smalling and Jones as well, they seem to have their worst runs of form after an injury.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
It's true. It's as if he's been transported back to last season's uncertainty. He was starting to look like a proper player before the injury. The notion that nobody has tested City until today is horseshit. We've been good at the back and we've been tested by almost everybody we've played this season. He looked lost at times there today but so did everyone around him, which didn't help.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
It's true. It's as if he's been transported back to last season's uncertainty. He was starting to look like a proper player before the injury. The notion that nobody has tested City until today is horseshit. We've been good at the back and we've been tested by almost everybody we've played this season. He looked lost at times there today but so did everyone around him, which didn't help.
How he let Firminho mug him off so easily is unforgivable. All he had to go was kep him on the outside.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
His block for Mane's goal was laughable too, it wasn't just Firmino's goal. That's what, 3 or 4 goals in couple of games already?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
John Stones hasn't changed; it was those around him that changed. City's attack and midfield understand the system more and Otamendi has been a monster in the box at both ends and become better as a player. Those new fullbacks also help massively in covering for him.

John Stones this season has spent most of his time passing the ball, rather than defending, so his deficiencies havent been highlighted as much.

XH6

Can someone tell me what John Stones is honestly good at?

Not a good tackler, not good positionally, not good in the air, not good at defending one versus ones. He can't dribble, he can't bring the ball out of defense well, nor is he a very good passer. He isn't quick, he isn't strong or physically dominating, and he's always prone to major errors and gaffes.

Calling him a lower league version of Jonny Evans should be considered a compliment. I'll concede that he's somewhat decent on the ball for a young English center back but that's the best thing you can say about him and he cost 50 million pounds.

luke511

I love seeing Stones feck up, nothing more satisfying :lol: biggest fraud in football

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
How he let Firminho mug him off so easily is unforgivable. All he had to go was kep him on the outside.
And from that moment on he looked in desperate need of an injury break, so they could change his underpants.

Should've went down!

padr81

Supports
Man City
Yeah have Mane far to much space and time.
Indeed, he ran the wrong way for the Ox's was easily pushed off the ball for Firminio's and barely went for Manes. He's definately not 100% for me. He's moving funny.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Indeed, he ran the wrong way for the Ox's was easily pushed off the ball for Firminio's and barely went for Manes. He's definately not 100% for me. He's moving funny.
He loooked totally shocked, as other have said Stone's hasn't had to defend much this season.

Another game another mistake. Seems like most goals City concede have him involved somewhere.

Terminator

carbon copy goal of fowler mugging neville back in 95.
Not really IMO, Fowler beat Neville in a foot race there. Yesterday's goal on the other hand was just bad defending from Stones, there is no way Firmino should be getting that ball. Way too weak from Stones.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
He's made a mistake leading to a goal in all three games since his return from injury. It's a damn shame as before that he'd been excellent, looked like he was finally starting to improve. The mistake yesterday was the most worrying, reminded me of when he let Falcao bully him. The sliced clearance v Burnley and the poor tackle v Bristol you can accept, but letting himself get physically dominated so easy is unforgivable. Got to hope he regains the form he had at the beginning of the season rather than the form he had last year.

Needham

Maybe its getting harder to be a centre back. Only really the Spurs two impress.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Can we put the ‘performances’ in the title in inverted commas?

carbon copy goal of fowler mugging neville back in 95.

One is a small fullback, the other a centre back. Although Neville deserves criticism for that, it’s not nearly as bad.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Pep's really developing him, eh? Awesome move for his career being fourth choice behind Kompany, Otamendi and Laporte. Awesome.

Amazing how Mourinho, who hates the kids, is starting Lingard in a Manchester derby and bringing Rashford and McTominay on in game. Yet some how Sant Pep is the saviour of English football...

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The German commentator was actually mentioning him as a positive example of how Guardiola improved his players and took them to the next level. :lol:

Zoo

There wasn’t even a mention of him today despite how awful Otamendi was.

If this was under Jose..

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
So good, that they needed to shell a cheeky 60m out on Laporte.
And Laporte is so good he doesn't even start anyway!

Jacko21

He'll not feature much will he?

A Stones/Laporte duo is ambitious to say the least.

One of them will be on the bench.

IrishRedDevil

He was on the BBC this morning talking about how great it would be for City to win the league v United. Silly bench warmer.

padr81

Supports
Man City
He'll not feature much will he?

A Stones/Laporte duo is ambitious to say the least.

One of them will be on the bench.
I can see us return to 3 at the back like early season when Mendy returns. I think before Mendy's injury and during the preseason Pep favored that. A trio of Stones, Laporte and Otamdendi with Walker and Mendy on the wings. Of course it won't be used every game but Pep was leaning towards that as a way to make playing Jesus and Aguero play together. I would say atm he's definately 4th choice.

stepic

I can see us return to 3 at the back like early season when Mendy returns. I think before Mendy's injury and during the preseason Pep favored that. A trio of Stones, Laporte and Otamdendi with Walker and Mendy on the wings. Of course it won't be used every game but Pep was leaning towards that as a way to make playing Jesus and Aguero play together. I would say atm he's definately 4th choice.
Where does Sane fit in that formation?