John Stones | Performances

ottosec

Luiz has been one of the best defenders in the league since he moved back to Chelsea. Comparing him to Stones is ridiculous.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Luiz has been one of the best defenders in the league since he moved back to Chelsea. Comparing him to Stones is ridiculous.
This. People should actually base their views on what they see and how people perform week in week out, not how some presedence has been set in the media and on social media.

Luiz is a better defender than Stones, and a hugely superior ball player as compared to Stones.

TBF I don't think Stones ever will reach Luiz' level, and I don't even rate Luiz that highly.

salford_

I think a massive round of applause should go to Everton for getting the money they did. Absolutely incredible. FORTY EIGHT MILLION POUNDS?

cyberman

City buy a defender struggling at Everton and he's now struggling at City.
Why is this a surprise? It's shocking that anybody thought a high pressure move would yield different results

Sylar

Has he had a leader for a partner yet? I find that bizarre, as hes never going to improve. Hes not a leader himself, and this is something the likes of Rio and Pique had when they were playing at young age. Yes they might have made mistakes, but at least they had somebody next to them to help them through (and help them learn from it).

Pep isnt helping him, but hes not helping himself either.

Trizy

Imagine thinking buying Stones'd turn out better than buying Bailly. :lol:
Baily is actually a better passer and better on the ball IMO. Not to mention he's ten times the defender.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Has he had a leader for a partner yet? I find that bizarre, as hes never going to improve. Hes not a leader himself, and this is something the likes of Rio and Pique had when they were playing at young age. Yes they might have made mistakes, but at least they had somebody next to them to help them through (and help them learn from it).

Pep isnt helping him, but hes not helping himself either.
He has Otamendi :lol:

Steven Seagull

Shambolic performance but it's not all on him. Pep has set the team up so it's practically impossible for him to defend when City lose the ball. They changed formation 3 times in the first 10 minutes. Stones probably doesn't know if Kolarov is playing in a back three or will spend the match in the opposition box

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Yep, so it has begun.

They blamed Martinez to cover his ass at Everton and now Pep is also being blamed for Jones obvious mediocrity as a defender.
I'm not sure, but I thought I heard Ian Wright on MOTD tonight try to deflect blame onto Kolorov?

Last edited:

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
MOTD and Ian Wright says "you gotta feel sorry for Stones." As he's assisting Vardy for Leicester's 4th. Why? Because he's English?

Because if that was David Luiz or Rojo they'd be getting slated.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Hard to believe so many wanted Otamendi here as well.
Otamendi was a beast in Spain. I don't really understand what has happened to him recently. With that being said, City's defence is still better when he is there. There's a reason Pep has always started Otamendi when he is available.

As for Stones, he has both the luck and misfortune of being English. He is lucky because there's absolutely no way he would have transferred to a top club for 50 million if he wasn't English, but at the same time, the media is now tearing him to shreds.

he would have transferred to a top club for 50 million if he wasn't English, but at the same time, the media is now tearing him to shreds.
What? The media have gone extremely easy on him, if Guardiola had signed some foreign kid for that money and he'd played like Stones so far, then you'd really see what "tearing someone to shreads" looks like.

ti vu

This game. You can't really blame Stones when Pep is constantly changing from 3 to 4 at the back so many times in 45 mins.
Maldini in his prime would struggle in his position today
Not disagree with with other part but this part is wrong. That AC Milan defending line did change during game between different formation in games and no where Maldini looked like Stones. Let's not make into football 20+ years ago vs today football: fitness, pace of the game..., just the tactical perspective

Shambolic performance but it's not all on him. Pep has set the team up so it's practically impossible for him to defend when City lose the ball. They changed formation 3 times in the first 10 minutes. Stones probably doesn't know if Kolarov is playing in a back three or will spend the match in the opposition box
More like plan A & B failed quickly with 2 early conceded goals. The question is whether the first goal can be prevented with better defending using the initial tactic?

AN17

So much for 'Pep bringing the best out of him' or 'learning from the best manager'. Tbf, to Stones, the constant tinkering with formations, having Kolarov besides him in a back 3, all these probably doesn't help either. But that doesn't excuse the fact that he's a lousy defender.

flappyjay

The only thing John Stones does better than our own Phil Jones is stay fit other than that I would take Phil over Stones any day of the week.

Verbalkint

He's not better than Luiz. wich was a debate on 5live on deadline day. Luiz won that one too
Yup, David Luiz is on a different level totally. Age, experience in Portugal, England, France.

Terrible shitbag of a human tho.

dogwithabone

Stones is a naturally cultured ball playing centre back but you almost feel that with Guardiola's obsession in using his keeper as an extra defender then the whole combo is an accident waiting to happen.

Unless he can take his game to the level of Rio for example then it could well be a career blighted by mistakes.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
To be fair to him yesterday, he was victim of Peps frankly idiotic tactic of playing him as a sole defender while giving the rest of the defence the rest of the day off.

Don't get me wrong I don't rate him at all, but he wa s pretty much hung out to dry yesterday.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Otamendi was a beast in Spain. I don't really understand what has happened to him recently. With that being said, City's defence is still better when he is there. There's a reason Pep has always started Otamendi when he is available.

As for Stones, he has both the luck and misfortune of being English. He is lucky because there's absolutely no way he would have transferred to a top club for 50 million if he wasn't English, but at the same time, the media is now tearing him to shreds.
The media have been extremely kind to him. It has reached a point where him making mistakes is okay and will simply learn when in truth his constant mistakes show his mediocrity as a player.

Another new signing with Stones fees making those dumb mistakes constantly would have been taken to the cleaner by now and rightly called a disaster of a signing.

So far Stones is the only one allowed to make mistakes and media brush them off as understandable things to happen and apparently he still seem a top defender on their eyes despite everything pointing to the contrary.

Fracture90

Why is this a surprise? It's shocking that anybody thought a high pressure move would yield different results
Exactly. He did OK in Everton when Jagelka was fit, without him he was giving away goals almost every game.

ZAGREB RED

Can't defend properly, didn't Jose try to buy him for £50M at Chelsea ? Surprises me, he isn't Mourinho's type of CB at all, will always cost goals as he is so slack and gets caught in possession all the time. His passback that led to Leicester's fourth goal typified him really.

Janson

The genius of Pepe was supposed to turn him into a world class player.

Actually, Peps instructions to always play out the back is making him look even worse.

MDFC Manager

Can't defend properly, didn't Jose try to buy him for £50M at Chelsea ? Surprises me, he isn't Mourinho's type of CB at all, will always cost goals as he is so slack and gets caught in possession all the time. His passback that led to Leicester's fourth goal typified him really.
Not sure Mourinho had too much say in Chelsea transfers.

prath92

To be fair 14-15 he was class. Plus at 20, he looked like he could be the next big thing.

If Jose had signed stones, stones would have done well.

Minimalist

All we need is Pep to declare he 'could be the best Manchester City player ever' and the job is done.