4.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Evans has been pretty poor in the CL. Was it Oscar Cardozo who turned him ease a couple years back? It was terrible defending.

SambaBoy

It's a strange one but his career has been blighted by injuries. He looked like a top class youngster at Sunderland, had a few difficult first few years at United but had some big performances in that time then he was consistently good for 2-3 months a few years back but then the injuries come back and it's just a vicious circle, it will probably be best to let him go if we can sign a top class CB in the summer.

Bojan11

For 3 games...
One of them was Leverkusen away, where the whole team even Nani looked amazing.

The other against Shaktar at Old Trafford, who had 17 attempts at goal. And we were quite lucky to win that I recall because a better team would have killed us off with the chances they had.

Ekeke

One of them was Leverkusen away, where the whole team even Nani looked amazing.

The other against Shaktar at Old Trafford, who had 17 attempts at goal. And we were quite lucky to win that I recall because a better team would have killed us off with the chances they had.

Apparently those 3 games were enough to make him one of our best players last season, so you must be leaving out the part where he scored a hatrick in each match

Getsme

What game did he stand out in?
For 3 games...
Apparently those 3 games were enough to make him one of our best players last season, so you must be leaving out the part where he scored a hatrick in each match
He still managed to get into the Champions league team of the group stages, but sure let's rewrite history again shall we.
@Ekeke, no offence but your posts in here make you sound like you're 12 :lol:

Bojan11

He still managed to get into the Champions league team of the group stages, but sure let's rewrite history again shall we.
@Ekeke, no offence but your posts in here make you sound like your 12 :lol:
What are you talking about now getting into group stages? So did Buttner. Does that make him great? Hmmm no. Oh wait Buttner played in the quarters, so that makes him better.

Yet to answer my question about these so called champions league performances. Which game did he look good in? The one where we were a defensive shambles at times against Shakhtar and very lucky not to concede. Or the one where the whole team played well against a poor Leverkusen team.

Getsme

What are you talking about now getting into group stages? So did Buttner. Does that make him great? Hmmm no. Oh wait Buttner played in the quarters, so that makes him better.

Yet to answer my question about these so called champions league performances. Which game did he look good in? The one where we were a defensive shambles at times against Shakhtar and very lucky not to concede. Or the one where the whole team played well against a poor Leverkusen team.
Re-read my post.

Sparky Rhiwabon

If we're buying a top centre back (please!) then we'll have to sell one of ours at some point surely. Evans seems the least likely to improve doesn't he?

stevoc

It depends on your definition of 'good' though,
Ah the old 'depends on your definition' argument, popular on here recently it seems when people post rubbish and someone else points it out. You posted:

The guy hasn't played a good game in over 2 years,
Thats rubbish by any persons definition of the word good and you know it, he had some good performances last season when half the team went to shit. And he had some excellent performances in Ferguson's final season when we won the league. All within the last 2 years.

throughout Moyes tenure he may have played a handful of games that were acceptable for a squad player but non that made you believe he was that player that could be our next great player.
Next great player? What are you talking about? Is this where your frustration with him stems from have you for some reason been expecting him to develop into some cross between Ferdinand/Vidic in their pomp and be a world class centre back. I don't know which player you have been watching but its not the same one i have. I expected him to develop into a solid defender who would be loyal and a good option at the back and thats what he has been for the vast majority of his career at United. What more do you want?

And now under Van Gaal he has been awful.
What 5-6 games under LVG in an unfamiliar position in a back 3, with a 3 months break in between these handful of games returning from injury. Yeah thats a great sample of games to judge a player on.

The term 'good' was loose and should have used something along the lines of excelled, which he hasn't done.
Very loose indeed, you would need to shorten your time frame also from 2 years to a few months for your statement to be even remotely true.

Bojan11

Re-read my post.
I have. And there is no official champions league group stage team. So it still doesn't make sense. Unless you can provide a link.

And three times, I've now asked you to provide me with a standout performance. The fact you can't says it all for crying out loud.

MoneyMay

It was actually 6, my mistake. He hasn't played more than 7 straight in 2 years
Six is correct, if you're only referencing league performances, but I'm referring to overall appearances which is what I assumed you were referencing. If we're specifically looking at league performances during this period, he only had one league performance where he and Jones were poor. Other than that, he was fine. Definitely nowhere near the player that's turned up this season.

I don't know why people are bringing his performances in the champions league into it last season. Considering our best defensive display was at Bayern at home without him.
And that was partly down to the way Moyes constructed the team.

Evans played well in the Champions League games he featured in. I don't know about a stand-out performance. It's very difficult to judge because was very good against Real Sociedad and Bayer Leverkusen. Probably the former because he had more defending to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Getsme

I have. And there is no official champions league group stage team. So it still doesn't make sense. Unless you can provide a link.

And three times, I've now asked you to provide me with a standout performance. The fact you can't says it all for crying out loud.
There is a link somewhere on this forum, have a search.
As for his performances in the Champions League, go watch the Leverkusen and Sociedad games again.

Last edited:

Bojan11

There is a link somewhere on this forum, have a search.
As for his performances in the Champions League, go watch the Leverkusen and Sociedad games again.
I have. He didn't stand out.

Nani and Kagawa looked great vs Leverkusen, which says it all. If you giving me that as an example of a great performance then it is a poor one.

And why should I search for a link. If you going to say something then back it up.

Getsme

I have. He didn't stand out.

Nani and Kagawa looked great vs Leverkusen, which says it all. If you giving me that as an example of a great performance then it is a poor one.

And why should I search for a link. If you going to say something then back it up.
You watched them again that quickly, Sky Plus?
Evans played well in those games, in the Leverkusen game he scored one and stopped a certain goal with a crucial tackle, I believe that tackle resulted in a counter attack from which we scored, God knows how that game would have ended up had they scored.
About the link, I've already backed it up, you want to find it go look for it.
You seem a little angry, are you ok? :lol:

Colin Gibson

I have a lot of time for Jonny - a proper club man who seemed to be genuinely hurting last year when things were going against us unlike some more senior, celebrated team-mates who went missing when things got tough.

However - if you were LVG, and looking at a set of CB options who were all constantly injured (when was the last time Jonny, Jones & Smalling were all fit and available at the same time), who would be the first one you'd get shot of to make room for the defensive signings that are sure to come, not to mention the highly promising young defenders coming through? Sorry but it's going to be the oldest one who has clearly struggled more than the others to adapt to 'The Philosophy'.

Bojan11

You watched them again that quickly, Sky Plus?
Evans played well in those games, in the Leverkusen game he scored one and stopped a certain goal with a crucial tackle, I believe that tackle resulted in a counter attack from which we scored, God knows how that game would have ended up had they scored.
About the link, I've already backed it up, you want to find it go look for it.
You seem a little angry, are you ok? :lol:
You haven't backed it up. Where is the evidence?

Angry? Says the guy who sits in the Evans thread on the defensive all day. You know we have other players you can discuss right? Unless you related to Evans?

Getsme

You haven't backed it up. Where is the evidence?

Angry? Says the guy who sits in the Evans thread on the defensive all day. You know we have other players you can discuss right? Unless you related to Evans?
Ah the old you must be related to Evans comeback, classic.

Loublaze

ATLien
Do you honestly believe the level of criticism is justified? After 5 games, of which he has been nowhere near as bad as is being made out on here, not to mention coming back from a long lay off and playing an unfamiliar formation. He has been thrown on the scrap heap and history has been rewritten about his performances, it's laughable. From what I can see no one on here has said he has played consistently well this season, it's just some of us have a memory that goes beyond 5 games.
I'll ask you this, did you praise Evans double block against Villa that possibly got us a point, or his superb tackle in the first half when Villa broke away on a counter attack?
Further all this talk about him being a leader and the most experienced defender doesn't mean that he can't have a dip in performances?
Some of the criticism is OTT, but I believe it all stems from a culmination of opinions and analysis of his overall contribution and career at OT. Most people don't feel he's progressed enough in his time here and I feel they are right. What makes it worse is that his potential was hyped up by Fergie and Keane. It was fvcking absurd and I never once thought he'd reach those heights. My expectations were always for Evans to become a reliable player like Wes Brown or John O'shea, but those players were better than him in all honesty.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
We already have too many defenders who are decent squad players. Rojo hasn't yet shown he's anything more than that, McNair and Blackett are too young at the moment, Jones and Smalling's injury problems are well documented. I don't see room for Evans unless he improves a lot.

Litch

Some of the criticism is OTT, but I believe it all stems from a culmination of opinions and analysis of his overall contribution and career at OT. Most people don't feel he's progressed enough in his time here and I feel they are right. What makes it worse is that his potential was hyped up by Fergie and Keane. It was fvcking absurd and I never once thought he'd reach those heights. My expectations were always for Evans to become a reliable player like Wes Brown or John O'shea, but those players were better than him in all honesty.
Spot on....

Fergies Formula

Ah the old 'depends on your definition' argument, popular on here recently it seems when people post rubbish and someone else points it out.
He has played a handful of games at a reasonable level, at no point in that time period did I think wow that was a good game. There might have been a few passable appearances but that means nothing considering we play the majority of teams who are lesser in quality. My definition of good games is a run of appearances which creates a perception of high quality.

Thats rubbish by any persons definition of the word good and you know it, he had some good performances last season when half the team went to shit. And he had some excellent performances in Ferguson's final season when we won the league. All within the last 2 years.
I disagree, he had some passable appearances.

Next great player? What are you talking about? Is this where your frustration with him stems from have you for some reason been expecting him to develop into some cross between Ferdinand/Vidic in their pomp and be a world class centre back. I don't know which player you have been watching but its not the same one i have. I expected him to develop into a solid defender who would be loyal and a good option at the back and thats what he has been for the vast majority of his career at United. What more do you want?

I would prefer a squad player of better quality and non someone who is prone to mistake after mistake and a defensive liability which he is. Opposition must lick their lips when he is playing. One thing is for sure, they dont fear playing against Johnny Evans.

What 5-6 games under LVG in an unfamiliar position in a back 3, with a 3 months break in between these handful of games returning from injury. Yeah thats a great sample of games to judge a player on.
Well other players have proved their quality in a short period. Look at Carrick. Evans is supposed to be an experienced player who can be relied upon on short notice. The definition of a squad player - but he cant even achieve that.

Very loose indeed, you would need to shorten your time frame also from 2 years to a few months for your statement to be even remotely true.
I stick by that statement as his last 6 months of Fergusons tenure wasn't anything special either. Not sure how that can be argued.

I speak with a lot of fans and read a lot of football journalism and the overwhelming consensus is that know one outside of our fans rates him and they see him as a liability, that says something.

Yes he is a home grown product but we should expect a lot more.

wiz4231

The perception people have regarding Evans being good last year is because he scored a few goals....and that's it, his defending has never been of a high quality. Quite the opposite really, consistently brain farts every game.

Man Utd 3:1 Newcastle

Skills

Snitch
Him and Jones have been very good going forward. Taking up the right positions and good taking the ball up field. Good performance and very composed on the ball so far.

roseguy64

The perception people have regarding Evans being good last year is because he scored a few goals....and that's it, his defending has never been of a high quality. Quite the opposite really, consistently brain farts every game.
Yeah okay.

MoneyMay

Played well and actually looked up whenever he passed the ball back to De Gea.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Shaky start but improved as the game went on and played better than his usual self. Still don't think he's good enough to start for United, mind.

thepolice123

He was decent today. Had a bit of a howler early in the game when he failed to deal a simple high ball and let Perez nick the ball away.

stevoc

He has played a handful of games at a reasonable level, at no point in that time period did I think wow that was a good game. There might have been a few passable appearances but that means nothing considering we play the majority of teams who are lesser in quality. My definition of good games is a run of appearances which creates a perception of high quality.

I disagree, he had some passable appearances.
Passable appearances? Yeah you are just seeing what you want to see then mate.

I would prefer a squad player of better quality and non someone who is prone to mistake after mistake and a defensive liability which he is. Opposition must lick their lips when he is playing. One thing is for sure, they dont fear playing against Johnny Evans.
Bit of an exaggeration there mate, every defender makes mistakes. Evans has had a few bad ones this season. But over the years i don't think hes been a defensive liability for the most part. Basically you want a squad player who is a much better player than squad players usually are.

Well other players have proved their quality in a short period. Look at Carrick. Evans is supposed to be an experienced player who can be relied upon on short notice. The definition of a squad player - but he cant even achieve that.
And? Just because on this occasion Carrick came back and played well right away every other player after a period out injured should just slot back in and be playing with their best form like they have never been away? That just not realistic mate.

Different players take different lengths of time to get their match sharpness and form back after injury. And by the way Carrick has came back before from injury and been awful for a few weeks, he also historically isn't great for the first few months of a season.

I stick by that statement as his last 6 months of Fergusons tenure wasn't anything special either. Not sure how that can be argued.
Stick by anything you like mate its still not true. He had good performances last season, and some excellent ones the year before which is why he was rewarded with a new contract. So yes he has had a good game in the last 2 years, more than a few actually.

I speak with a lot of fans and read a lot of football journalism and the overwhelming consensus is that know one outside of our fans rates him and they see him as a liability, that says something.
It says they don't watch him very often. How many journalists and oppo fans were still writing or talking about De Gea being a dodgy keeper until relatively recently, a guy i work with told me in august we have no chance of top 4 because our keeper is a 'Flapper'.

Same with Rafael a mate of mine thinks hes the worst right back in the league and doesn't understand why hes still at United and there aren't many journos who rate him either. I trust my own judgement of players when i watch them over a period and don't rely on other people to tell me how good a player is.

Yes he is a home grown product but we should expect a lot more.
Maybe you expect too much from him then mate, since you expected him to be United's ''next great player''. All i ever expected from him was to be a decent/good squad player and i haven't been disappointed.

We will just have to both accept we have very different views on this one i think, before we start going round in circles.