View full 2014-15 profile

4.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

NK86

Smalling >>> Evans vs Burnley. For the goal Smalling was at least trying to get to the ball - Evans was marking no one on the penalty spot will his man was also in behind. And Smalling single-handedly stopped them scoring an equaliser on at least 4 separate occsassions 2nd half when it was 2-1, and was our best defender overall despite his first half.
Smalling gave Ings the best chance of the match from 5 yards out. That should have been the equalizer.

Man Utd 2:0 Sunderland

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
I understand the crowds frustration with us moving backwards and sideways, I share it but I really didn't like them getting on his back the few times he went back to De Gea. I mean, he had to go get the ball, facing his own goal, absolutely no options on and even if he wanted to turn and pick a forward pass, Sunderland are pushing up on the backs of those options, nothing wrong with keeping the ball in that situation.

I expect an avalanche of abuse coming his way but I think he has done his job fine.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I understand the crowds frustration with us moving backwards and sideways, I share it but I really didn't like them getting on his back the few times he went back to De Gea. I mean, he had to go get the ball, facing his own goal, absolutely no options on and even if he wanted to turn and pick a forward pass, Sunderland are pushing up on the backs of those options, nothing wrong with keeping the ball in that situation.

I expect an avalanche of abuse coming his way but I think he has done his job fine.
You are 100% correct.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan

Im with you on this. Evans had a fine half.

Kostur

海尔的老板

Yea, as much as I dislike watching Jonny nowadays, it's pretty fecking rich to single him out when it's pretty clear that it's the instruction from our coach to play it as safe as it gets in defence.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Agree with the above sentiments but he's such a worry when an attacker gets at him square on. Defoe did it once or twice, and had a few chances.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

I agree with this, it was still funny to hear all the groans when he made that back to DDG.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I don't rate him but he's been fine. Ridiculous from the crowd to whistle him for passing it to De Gea that one moment, he had no options.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
The booing of him for taking the CORRECT decision to pass back to the keeper both times is embarrassing and small-time.

He's had a good half and his distribution has been fine from the back.

We're being let down by those in front of him, ahead of of the midfield.

ChrisG11

I don't think the crowd are getting on Evans back specifically, I think they're just pissed off that within 5 seconds of having a corner, we've got the ball back to De Gea. Which is true, it's ridiculous.

the hea

Totally agree with you he has been one of our better players in the first half. The way he neutralized both players in the 2 vs 1 situation was really good.

Water Melon

I don't think the crowd are getting on Evans back specifically, I think they're just pissed off that within 5 seconds of having a corner, we've got the ball back to De Gea. Which is true, it's ridiculous.
There were not plenty a player around him making themselves available for a safe pass, to be fair.

Getsme

I agree with this, and I can understand the frustration.

Eric'sCollar

I now what you mean but they should know how it comes across to the players themselves.

An Irish Red

Oh jeez. We didnt concede any goals and he didnt feck up considerably, certainly no more than anyone else. In a game like this, there are actual issues/players to pick on before Evans.
He's not supposed to though. His performance in that half was (at best) what you'd expect as standard from a defender.

Over the top criticism for passing the ball back to De Gea is wrong but it's just as wrong to match that with over the top praise.

Fergies Formula

Let me say this, Smalling has shown great responsibility and courage since Van Gaal has arrived, these are the kind of qualities which define leadership, the same can not be said for Evans has has shown nothing of the sort and giving him that reward of wearing the arm band is pretty sad really.

There was at least Blind, Smalling and Rojo who were more deserving of holding the captains arm band today, when rooney went off.

Evans played ok and only made one real mistake when he was so deep playing defoe on side which resulted in a dangerous attack. But the point remains - a leader he is not.

Should really be celebrating the victory but that just annoyed me.

Last edited:

Eric'sCollar

Well I guess he has to be criticised for something today doesn't he?

On topic though, a good performance, did well to overcome the crowd. Wasn't under much pressure but he grew into the game and did his job well.

Raw

I'm one of his biggest critics but I thought he was good today. Wouldn't choose him over Smalling though.

Devil may care

His best game in a long town, for the first time this season he didn't look like a deer in the headlights when the ball or opposition player got near him, big improvement.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
He played well, looked composed for once which is rare for him!
Still want Rojo starting though.

Tompo

I agree with this, and I can understand the frustration.
Yep, I really doubt the crowd are booing Evans they are booing the fact that we had a corner and the ball ended up a few seconds later with our keeper.

Understandable I felt the annoyance myself too but not with Evans himself.

itso 7

He played well for once and long may that continue. I don't think he deserves the grief he got for those back passes either.

Getsme

Let me say this, Smalling has shown great responsibility and courage since Van Gaal has arrived, these are the kind of qualities which define leadership, the same can not be said for Evans has has shown nothing of the sort and giving him that reward of wearing the arm band is pretty sad really.

There was at least Blind, Smalling and Rojo who were more deserving of holding the captains arm band today, when rooney went off.

Evans played ok and only made one real mistake when he was so deep playing defoe on side which resulted in a dangerous attack. But the point remains - a leader he is not.

Should really be celebrating the victory but that just annoyed me.
fecking hell :lol:

RedOldBoy

Wasn't bad today, but with Sunderland playing so defensively he wasn't under a lot of pressure and seemed more composed than previous games. He is not starting XI material but he did his job adequately.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Was close to shitting myself anytime he was involved.

There was a stage in the second half he was in possession facing de Gea whilst he was being pressed by a Sunderland player, it took him about six years to clear the feckin' ball. I absolutely roared at the screen. I've no confidence in him at the moment. He allowed Defoe a few easy shots in the first half too.