View full 2014-15 profile

4.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

JackXX

He looks better when he has a commanding player next to him. A bit of responsibility and he shits himself.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Even when fully fit and on form, he's not exactly a feared and coveted world beater. He's endemic of the level the club have been accepting for the last couple of years.

GloryHunter07

I still hope/ believe he can become a key player for us.

Not with passing like that though.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Did he break up with his girlfriend or something? Need to have Wayne hook him up with some working girls...

revel911

Still shaky, but got better as the game went. Jones was clearly the better of the two and looks to be the one wanting to partner with Rojo.

JackXX

You mean when he had either Rio or Vidic to hold his hand? You'd think he'd have learned a thing or two from them.
It's a symptom of a lot of our younger players who aren't so young anymore imo. They should now be experienced enough to not need people holding their hands every game and take a bit more responsibility.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Since he's basically guaranteed a start on Sunday, how many times will he needlessly and dangerously give the ball away? Over/Under: 3.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Jonny "Drogba Killer" Evans has had his highs and quite a few lows. I was really disappointed in how he played last season.

I wish I knew the issue, honestly I feel like he was better when he first came through.

Remember that record shutout streak for VdS? That was Vidic and Evans, ans Evans looked great.

Around that time northern Ireland had a great defensive run and he was integral to that.

I suspect it's mental. Perhaps he's gotten away from what made him more successful. He seems less passionate as well.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Jonny "Drogba Killer" Evans has had his highs and quite a few lows. I was really disappointed in how he played last season.

I wish I knew the issue, honestly I feel like he was better when he first came through.

Remember that record shutout streak for VdS? That was Vidic and Evans, ans Evans looked great.

Around that time northern Ireland had a great defensive run and he was integral to that.

I suspect it's mental. Perhaps he's gotten away from what made him more successful. He seems less passionate as well.
When he first came through, the spotlight was on the other areas of our play, the excitment of Rooney and Ronaldo etc, we had Scholes and Carrick dictating games. It was a really good introduction for him, having Rio and Vidic there at the same time. Over the last two seasons, the spotlight has been on the CB's because of the pressure they have been under (brought on themselves but also our midfield problems which leave them exposed). I wouldn't say it's a team in transition in the way that it's usually used but it's not the most stable environment that he was introduced into.

I'm positive that the good side of his game is still there, whether LVG is able to get it out of him, time will tell but I think he has a better chance than most. And whilst he isn't new onto the scene, he is still only 26, he could have another 8-10 years playing in the EPL. He is going through a tough stage in his career that I'm sure will help him develop.

Loublaze

ATLien
Evans will always be a good backup player. A lifer at OT, but we need better leading the backline

Gannicus

Evans had his day, but my God he's looked shite for the last 2+ seasons. I'm on the edge of giving up all hope on him, but maybe if he can get some mental help -- and his problems are entirely mental -- he might return to that form from 3 seasons ago.

Loublaze

ATLien
Evans had his day, but my God he's looked shite for the last 2+ seasons. I'm on the edge of giving up all hope on him, but maybe if he can get some mental help -- and his problems are entirely mental -- he might return to that form from 3 seasons ago.
If Jones and Smalling can both maintain long injury free spells they'll easily displace Evans.

Shimo

If Jones and Smalling can both maintain long injury free spells they'll easily displace Evans.
It's debatable in that we've never seen Jones or Smalling play for an extended period of time with the responsibility and at the center - both seem to have some very good performances but, with their injury record and being played in other positions - it's difficult to say they'd easily displace him.

Evans at his best has shown he can belong in the starting lineup but, because of his drop in confidence/form and Jones/Smalling could easily displace him. All things equal - all playing to their ability, confident and injury free, I think all 3 would give the manager one hell of a headache.

Edit: For a long time I thought Evans could really be the next big thing but, much like Valencia I've got serious doubts if he'll ever get his confidence back to drive him to the next level which he showed a lot of potential for a couple years back.

Loublaze

ATLien
It's debatable in that we've never seen Jones or Smalling play for an extended period of time with the responsibility and at the center - both seem to have some very good performances but, with their injury record and being played in other positions - it's difficult to say they'd easily displace him.

Evans at his best has shown he can belong in the starting lineup but, because of his drop in confidence/form and Jones/Smalling could easily displace him. All things equal - all playing to their ability, confident and injury free, I think all 3 would give the manager one hell of a headache.

Edit: For a long time I thought Evans could really be the next big thing but, much like Valencia I've got serious doubts if he'll ever get his confidence back to drive him to the next level which he showed a lot of potential for a couple years back.
Indeed. We still need to buy a top level CB. Our most experienced and CB shouldn't be a confidence player, he should be a leader but sadly thats not the case.

surf

Don't see much recent improvement in him and think he has probably peaked. He's not looking like a clear long term first choice.

izec

Don't see much recent improvement in him and think he has probably peaked. He's not looking like a clear long term first choice.
:lol: all this peak talk. Kagawa peaked at 23 apparently, Evans peaked too already. Who peaked too? Maybe Shaw peaked with 18, you never know.

Glanville95

He's reached his limit in my opinion. Whereas Rojo, Jones and Smalling all have room for improvement, I don't envisage Evans eclipsing some of his finest seasons in a United shirt. His game has greatly enhanced when playing either in decent winning sides, sturdy defences and alongside an instrumental player like Rio and Vidic, but I don't think we have those elements to our game besides the former. He isn't someone who is capable of assuming defensive responsibilities and becoming the defensive leader and he shouldn't be anymore than a squad player IMO.

I'm not completely sold by any of our defenders in general, but at least all have some positives and are capable of more. Jones is in really good form and in theory, should eradicate his defensive weaknesses. Smalling is generally a very good defender, but his ability on the ball is in question and Rojo is a van Gaal approved signing.

He'll probably become demoted to a squad player, but if he continues in his current form, I could see LVG sanctioning his sale next season.

Sam

He looks better when he has a commanding player next to him. A bit of responsibility and he shits himself.
Agreed.

For me, he's a 'secondary defender', the Robin to someone else's batman. The kind of defender that will do well if he has a leader next to him, a Vidic or a Terry. They can take control and lead the defense, while Jonny can go about his job quietly and effectively. But he just isn't a main man, he doesn't have that ability to be the leader, and doubt he ever will have.

iBoss

i-ttack the space
Illuminati headquarters, chillin' with Jay Z.
Watched the Burnley game again and the defenders were fine apart from a couple times when they had to distribute the ball. That also had to do with Fletcher hiding at CM and them not walking out with it when they had space in front of them. Blackett was also poor with the ball. Burnley didn't create anything. Even in the Swansea game, we basically got caught with two attacks. For one of the goals our CM's disappeared after pressing higher up the pitch.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Why has his passing become so shit? If he's not playing it to the opposition he's under hitting them badly. He used to be very good at this

MoneyMay

Been poor again thus far, I thought he was are "ball playing" defender?
Evans really hasn't been poor. Assessing his overall performance in a fixture based on his skills on the ball and ignoring his good defending, which includes a clearance that could have resulted in a goal, is harsh and unfair. He really does need to stop under-hitting passes which has been a common feature in every game he's played for us this season, that's something we can all agree on - even his successful passes are lacking sharpness, but that's just me being cynical.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Evans really hasn't been poor. Assessing his overall performance in a fixture based on his skills on the ball and ignoring his good defending, which includes a clearance that could have resulted in a goal, is harsh and unfair. He really does need to stop under-hitting passes which has been a common feature in every game he's played for us this season - even his successful passes are lacking sharpness, but that's just me being cynical.
He has been poor. It's a miracle we didn't concede at Burnley with his passing and he's again put pressure on us due to his passing.

He's ll get over it though as we know he's very good at this aspect.

MoneyMay

He has been poor. It's a miracle we didn't concede at Burnley with his passing and he's again put pressure on us due to his passing.

He's ll get over it though as we know he's very good at this aspect.
I don't believe so. What's poor for you may not be poor for me. If we're talking about his overall performance - passing and defending combined - then he's been far from poor. If you specifically judge him on his passing, then he's definitely been poor by his standards. Defensively, he's dealt with everything well and done what you expect. He's not looking great under pressure on the ball at the moment, but with more games (as you said) he'll find more confidence.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I don't believe so. What's poor for you may not be poor for me. If we're talking about his overall performance - passing and defending combined - then he's been far from poor. If you specifically judge him on his passing, then he's definitely been poor by his standards. Defensively, he's dealt with everything well and done what you expect. He's not looking great under pressure on the ball at the moment, but with more games (as you said) he'll find more confidence.
Eh? Passing is huge aspect of football so I'm not sure why you would ignore that in analyzing the player.

adamwest

Definitely have a soft spot for our Johnny. On his day he is an immense defender. Sad to say the other days he is a complete and utter liability. Jones should be taking his spot when fit.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Four defender system player. Change something in that regard and he'll forget how to play football.

Anyway, he's back and looks miles faster than few weeks ago. Perfect chance for him while Jones & Smalling are combo injured.

MoneyMay

Much, much sharper off the ball and very solid defensively. A good performance overall. Some of his passes, however, were under-hit and terrible which he needs to quickly sort out.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Saved a certain goal but nearly gifted another to QPR. Brainfarts are still very much an issue.