View full 2014-15 profile

4.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

ZDwyr

How long is Smalling out for? He has missed a few weeks now. If Evans still struggles then I can see Rojo moving across or Smalling coming back in.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Good peformance. He's not looking as good on the ball as he used to. I wonder if that's down to Blackett and rojo being very comfortable on him and Evans looking relatively worse now.
Yeah, I think so. With Smalling, Jones, and a past-it Rio/Vidic partner, Evans was always going to look a lot more comfortable on the ball. I guess it has given us the impression that he really is a ball playing defender, but now he is with these types of players, he seems fairly above average in his distribution. He has the vision and the ability to play on both feet, but his execution and power is really lacking.

manusteve

Evans will have to play while there are injuries but I would like to see the back four of Rafael-Jones-Rojo-Shaw.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Surprised to see him being criticised for yesterday. Thought he was very good minus the under hit passes to Rafael.

red_7

with Evans its all about confidence, which is low at the moment. He won't be world class but if we can get his confidence back up he might be good partner to Jones or Rojo because them both are impetuous at times. Pairing them both seems not the best partnership on paper. He is the most experienced at the back.

No doubt we still have to be in the transfer market next time for a world-class defender but for the time being an Evans on form would be important to us.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Blackett? He wasn't exactly convincing yesterday was he?
One slightly shaky moment if I remember rightly?

Evans seems to have a period in most games where his movements have apparently been taken over by the opposition and he's doing his best to feck us over. I think it's a concentration thing with him. Big lapses and his game goes out the window for a while. Nervy looking as well. Blackett actually appears more composed than him but short on experience. A tough call but we know it's a weakness in our team.

I'd probably favour Blackett at this stage. This could be the right time to give him a run of games in a team that looks like it could score for fun and potentially make amends for any defensive inexperience.

Getsme

One slightly shaky moment if I remember rightly?

Evans seems to have a period in most games where his movements have apparently been taken over by the opposition and he's doing his best to feck us over. I think it's a concentration thing with him. Big lapses and his game goes out the window for a while. Nervy looking as well. Blackett actually appears more composed than him but short on experience. A tough call but we know it's a weakness in our team.

I'd probably favour Blackett at this stage. This could be the right time to give him a run of games in a team that looks like it could score for fun and potentially make amends for any defensive inexperience.
And if it was Evans that made that mistake, or the De Gea one, or any of the many defensive mistakes we made yesterday this place would be up in arms about it.
Evans mistakes are highlighted on here more than any other defensive player, on many occasions he has been blamed for mistakes that clearly weren't his fault.
He played well yesterday, the best game he's had since he came back from injury. Yet he's been heavily criticised by some, it's getting a bit tiresome now.

SoCross

Why do people think Rojo is an automatic choice now? He hasn't even played at CB for us and now he is the number one pick there.

Evans - besides two underhit passes - was good yesterday.

walkinhop

And if it was Evans that made that mistake, or the De Gea one, or any of the many defensive mistakes we made yesterday this place would be up in arms about it.
Evans mistakes are highlighted on here more than any other defensive player, on many occasions he has been blamed for mistakes that clearly weren't his fault.
He played well yesterday, the best game he's had since he came back from injury. Yet he's been heavily criticised by some, it's getting a bit tiresome now.
Because a player in his position should not make such mistakes. He has to compete with Blackett? If he was as good as he should and could have been, nobody would even question his spot. By now, if you are not good enough, you are simply not good enough. My problem is mostly his character. Seems scared at times and generally feeling like a mistake about to happen. Blackett, as young and foolish ( yesterday) as he is seems much more composed on the ball.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Whats getting tiresome is excuses being made for sloppy and mediocre play as though we've somehow come to expect it. He plays well in periods but consistent, reliable, dependable he is not. Evans is a byword for sloppy. The underhit backpass is his speciality. Did you watch the MK Dons game? The Burnley game?

Why do people think Rojo is an automatic choice now? He hasn't even played at CB for us and now he is the number one pick there.

I made it three? Whatever, it's two/three too many. He consistently sells the keeper and others short. We have a problem when a senior CB is regarded as having had a good game despite underhitting his passing and gifting attacking chances to the likes of QPR.

walkinhop

If by people, you mean me - i said IF Evans has another shaky game and IF Shaw is fit we should at least try and see if it works better. Its not automatically 1st choice for any of them. If one is under performing, why not try the rest?

Getsme

Because a player in his position should not make such mistakes. He has to compete with Blackett? If he was as good as he should and could have been, nobody would even question his spot. By now, if you are not good enough, you are simply not good enough. My problem is mostly his character. Seems scared at times and generally feeling like a mistake about to happen. Blackett, as young and foolish ( yesterday) as he is seems much more composed on the ball.
Every single player makes mistakes, it just some choose to remember Evans over anybody else’s, why? He’s an easy target it seems, even when he does play well people moan about two misplaced passes yet forget to mention that he actually played well or all the other errors the defence made.

There are very few seasoned players in this squad who’s position hasn’t been questioned, in fact I can’t think of one, Rooney, RVP, Mata, De Gea, Rafael all players who’s ability has been questioned, yet they get away with murder on occasion because they are crowd favourites.

Whats getting tiresome is excuses being made for sloppy and mediocre play as though we've somehow come to expect it. He plays well in periods but consistent, reliable, dependable he is not. Evans is a byword for sloppy. The underhit backpass is his speciality. Did you watch the MK Dons game? The Burnley game?

I made it three? Whatever, it's two/three too many. He consistently sells the keeper and others short. We have a problem when a senior CB is regarded as having had a good game despite underhitting his passing and gifting attacking chances to the likes of QPR.
What excuses? He has been one of our best CBs for the last two seasons, if you choose not to think that then fine. Some people just don’t like a player for whatever reason, again that’s fine, but let’s not start making up bullshit reasons by saying that under hit back passes is his speciality or that he constantly sells the keeper short.

If you’re going to criticise a player at least come up with valid reasons.

walkinhop

Every single player makes mistakes, it just some choose to remember Evans over anybody else’s, why? He’s an easy target it seems, even when he does play well people moan about two misplaced passes yet forget to mention that he actually played well or all the other errors the defence made.

There are very few seasoned players in this squad who’s position hasn’t been questioned, in fact I can’t think of one, Rooney, RVP, Mata, De Gea, Rafael all players who’s ability has been questioned, yet they get away with murder on occasion because they are crowd favourites.

What excuses? He has been one of our best CBs for the last two seasons, if you choose not to think that then fine. Some people just don’t like a player for whatever reason, again that’s fine, but let’s not start making up bullshit reasons by saying that under hit back passes is his speciality or that he constantly sells the keeper short.

If you’re going to criticise a player at least come up with valid reasons.
He was our best defender, which doesn't mean he is good enough right now. I dont say we should sell him. The thing is, in a top club like ours players that dont perform should lose their spot. I dont care if its RvP or Rooney or Evans. If you have a series of not up to par games, you should sit a few. This creates competition and players perform better knowing they are not instant 1st choice. He makes me nervous more often than Blackett. I don't care what he has done in the past. We live now and right now he is not very reassuring.

Getsme

He was our best defender, which doesn't mean he is good enough right now. I dont say we should sell him. The thing is, in a top club like ours players that dont perform should lose their spot. I dont care if its RvP or Rooney or Evans. If you have a series of not up to par games, you should sit a few. This creates competition and players perform better knowing they are not instant 1st choice. He makes me nervous more often than Blackett. I don't care what he has done in the past. We live now and right now he is not very reassuring.
Of course, but how does that player regain fitness having been out for sometime injured?

JSMHE

I must say it is too early to say Evans won't be as our main CB. We haven't seen Rojo plays as a centre back with us yet. Smalling and Jones are inconsistent but giving them enough time to play in there, they can somehow settle in because they have the quality. The same thing can be said on Evans. Blackett seems doing fine as well.
Most likely we haven't find our best paired centre back yet. Probably the only position we haven't settle in. We will give them chances, and hopefully in January we can find our best paired.

dutchred

I must say it is too early to say Evans won't be as our main CB. We haven't seen Rojo plays as a centre back with us yet. Smalling and Jones are inconsistent but giving them enough time to play in there, they can somehow settle in because they have the quality. The same thing can be said on Evans. Blackett seems doing fine as well.
Most likely we haven't find our best paired centre back yet. Probably the only position we haven't settle in.
I think eventually it will be Jones and Rojo, with, Evans, Blackett as back up. I can see Smalling leaving as he passing will not be good enough for LvG. Thorpe is a a beeter footballer

Water Melon

Evans under pressure is like Wayne's first touch -quite sloppy. I, like others above, believe that Jones and Rojo will be our main CBs this season. I would hesitate to play Evans against a top side like Chavs or Shitty.

roseguy64

Evans under pressure is like Wayne's first touch -quite sloppy. I, like others above, believe that Jones and Rojo will be our main CBs this season. I would hesitate to play Evans against a top side like Chavs or Shitty.
Based on current form or you think he's never been good against a top side?

Leicester 5:3 Man Utd

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Injured.

So is it a case of keeping him for backup or eventually getting rid? He's shocking at the moment.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Injured.

So is it a case of keeping him for backup or eventually getting rid? He's shocking at the moment.
If he can't either improve his game or improve his injury record, he's probably a goner in the long-term. A shame since he's a very solid defender at his best.

Red Stone

I don't trust him at the back. Even though injuries are the last thing we need, I think we could do with a few games without him on the pitch.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Where´s the Johny Evans i saw in the Portugal vs Northern Ireland match? Injuries have played a big part in his stagnation. It´s a pity cause i rate Evans.

JSMHE

I can see him being sold. Not because his performance but because of his injury prone. Blackett is looking very good so far.

Sam

He's become so terrible. Blackett looked like the experienced 27 year old, and Johnny the youngster playing his 5th United match.

Litch

Evans absolutely shocking. He's suppose to be the experienced player but offers the defence nothing in organisation or dominance. It's a massive problem.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
I think he is going to fall down the pecking order and be the last one there. Blackett has done admirably well since start of season, Jones has done well and one will expect Smalling and Rojo to take their chances now. Unfortunate because I rate Evans and this season is his big chance to cement his place as first choice.

JohnnyLaw

I love Johnny but I think that his time here is coming to an end. If he's not injured he's out of form. If we get another CB in january or in the summer he should be moved on.

ricky-romeo

Jones out evans in. Evans out smalling in. Wait for smalling to get injured and let jones in again. And the cycle begins again and again and again.

By this rate blackett is going to play every game for us. And the way he has been performing, deservely so.

Minimalist

At fault for the goal for me. Marking no one.

No idea what Souness is talking about blaming Rafael.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I no longer see potential in him, and he's certainly hiding any sort of talent there is in there.

Scrumpet

There are no words
Some strange reactions in the match day thread today. He's "pathetic" and "a joke" for...getting injured?

Litch

I am fine if he is our 3rd string back on either side.

Jones, Smalling, Evans
Rojo/Blackett, Evans
His distribution is poor. I think he's always had either Rio or Vidic next to him. It's clear now he hasn't how limited he is as a footballer....