4.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
If he plays like he did against Newcastle then he is good enough for most in the league, but it's whether he can reach that level consistently.
He represented Premier League level that day indeed but then again should we ignore that his season is already over and it's not even because of the injury record ?

After such break from first team football he'll be without match rhythm, he basically will start from zero again while rest of the team will have to eat grass to get us back in the Champions League.

We simply can't rely on him.

Last edited:

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Spot on. The funny thing too is that even Brown and O'Shea were better players than Evans, so we've really gone backwards if Evans is what we consider acceptable United standard these days.
Brown and Sheasy had their moments of comedy at times but I can recall few class acts from them even on Champions League stage.

Brown's pass exchange with Scholes and then surgical cross to Ronnie in Moscow with his weaker foot was definitely one of them. O'Shea embarrassing Figo, other time playing as goalkeeper and the other time scoring a winner at Anfield... They had their moments. Can't deny that.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Brown and Sheasy had their moments of comedy at times but I can recall few class acts from them even on Champions League stage.

Brown's pass exchange with Scholes and then surgical cross to Ronnie in Moscow with his weaker foot was definitely one of them. O'Shea embarrassing Figo, other time playing as goalkeeper and the other time scoring a winner at Anfield... They had their moments. Can't deny that.
There is no denying Brown and O'shea's moments but Jonny Evans has produced also. Yes, he isn't the world class CB we need but for a young player to come through the system, we have gotten good use out of him.

Loublaze

ATLien
Your hatred for a Evans is disturbing, especially if you're a United fan.
Please don't mistake me not rating Evans for hatred. He seems like a decent guy, he's just not good enough for United. Must sell

SoCross

He was playing decent enough but we definitely need a top quality CB as none of our four defenders are consistently good but realistically, who's out there for us to go for?

I don't mind having Evans in the squad at all but as much as I hate to admit it, if we bring in a new CB, he at the moment seems to be the one most disposable. But then a few months ago, it was Smalling; Jones has had his "he's useless" moments; Rojo has had his ups and downs...we will have to see at the end of the season. Trust Van Gaal to make the right decision.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Did you see Spurs defenders on sunday?

He's easily good enough for spurs.
Am I the only person who thinks Jan Vertonghen is massively overrated? I mean, he's comfortable with the ball at his feet, but when it comes to actually defending I don't think he's that good at all.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Am I the only person who thinks Jan Vertonghen is massively overrated? I mean, he's comfortable with the ball at his feet, but when it comes to actually defending I don't think he's that good at all.
You are being generous. He is absolutely rubbish.

As for Jonny, I thought he would become VG's favorite defender with his ability on the ball. Shame injuries have never allowed him to fulfil the potential he showed in the '08 and the '11 seasons.

stevoc

Not at all mate, never seen the fuss about him myself. As you say he's good on the ball and driving forward going the other way nothing special at all. I wouldn't want us to sign him for a start.

Put it like this plenty on here moan about Evans and Jones and insist we should buy xyz defender. But most of the names mentioned Vertonghen being among them would be getting the same criticism and attacks within 6 months after a few bad performances.

roseguy64

Not at all mate, never seen the fuss about him myself. As you say he's good on the ball and driving forward going the other way nothing special at all. I wouldn't want us to sign him for a start.

Put it like this plenty on here moan about Evans and Jones and insist we should buy xyz defender. But most of the names mentioned Vertonghen being among them would be getting the same criticism and attacks within 6 months after a few bad performances.
That's my thought as well.

Getsme

A few? Some wold be on his back after one bad game.

stevoc

Yes, lets base this on one game.
One game? Yeah right, Spurs have conceded 42 goals this season so far thats the highest amount in the top 10, and ironically only one less than Sunderland have conceded which you seem to think is Evans level but he's not good enough for Spurs am i right?

Spurs defenders are crap, and Evans is comfortably good enough for them. He's better than Dier for a start and on form he's a better defender than Vertonghen.

mu77

One game? Yeah right, Spurs have conceded 42 goals this season so far thats the highest amount in the top 10, and ironically only one less than Sunderland have conceded which you seem to think is Evans level but he's not good enough for Spurs am i right?

Spurs defenders are crap, and Evans is comfortably good enough for them. He's better than Dier for a start and on form he's a better defender than Vertonghen.
yes on all counts. not good enough for united.

Loublaze

ATLien

Evans is not reliable enough for a top 6 side. He wouldn't improve Spurs, he'd just add numbers to their ranks.

stevoc

Evans is not reliable enough for a top 6 side. He wouldn't improve Spurs, he'd just add numbers to their ranks.
You seem to have changed your tune now, i thought we wasn't good enough for Spurs?

You really think he isn't better than Dier?

By the way Evans seemed reliable enough in a top 1 side in 2009, 2011 & 2013.

mu77

Yeah that's a good point mate. Judging by the bile posted in here a few months ago after Evans first game back.

Who Vertonghen?
evans who is better than vertongen. neither is good enough for united. evans would play for spurs.

Loublaze

ATLien
You seem to have changed your tune now, i thought we wasn't good enough for Spurs?

You really think he isn't better than Dier?

By the way Evans seemed reliable enough in a top 1 side in 2009, 2011 & 2013.
I haven't changed my tune. He wouldn't improve them therefore he's not good enough for them
(why purchase a player who wouldn't, especially at the wages he'd ask for). He's unreliable and any ambitious team shouldn't be looking to sign him. Evans had a period of sustained good performances but even you surely can't sit here and pretend that he fully came into his own as a player and a leader at the back, someone you can rely on like Rio and Vidic. First senior player sold this summer. Its time to move on and build a team of consistent and reliable players. Evans isn't either, not by a long shot. He won't settle at a top four or even top six team after United. Im certain of it. He might sign for Spurs or Everton, but his fitness issues will be his eventual ruin as far as 'top' teams are concerned. Quote this post in 2-3 seasons, maybe sooner.

stevoc

evans who is better than vertongen. neither is good enough for united. evans would play for spurs.
Well i think Evans is good enough to be a second choice at United. Is he good enough to build a team on, well no he isn't but you need more than 11 players.

stevoc

I haven't changed my tune. He wouldn't improve them therefore he's not good enough for them
(why purchase a player who wouldn't, especially at the wages he'd ask for).
You quite clearly have changed your tune when it was pointed out to you just how bad Spurs defence have been this season.

By saying he wouldn't improve them (in your opinion) you are saying he is as good as the defenders they already have, which clearly contradicts your earlier statement below.

Spurs are too good for Evans.
So why don't you quit while you're behind.

He's unreliable and any ambitious team shouldn't be looking to sign him. Evans had a period of sustained good performances but even you surely can't sit here and pretend that he fully came into his own as a player and a leader at the back, someone you can rely on like Rio and Vidic. First senior player sold this summer. Its time to move on and build a team of consistent and reliable players. Evans isn't either, not by a long shot. He won't settle at a top four or even top six team after United. Im certain of it. He might sign for Spurs or Everton, but his fitness issues will be his eventual ruin as far as 'top' teams are concerned. Quote this post in 2-3 seasons, maybe sooner.
So he's not as good as two of the best defenders to ever play the game, and thats the reason you think we should we should sell him. Well in that case we should sell all our defenders then as none of them will ever be that good.

feck sake give it a rest will you. Do you feel it is a duty of yours to pop back into this thread every few pages and post the same old bull shit nonsense over and over again.

Not good enough.
Sunderland is his level
First out the door in the summer
He's not a leader
Blah, blah fecking blah

Last edited:

Loublaze

ATLien
You quite clearly have changed your tune when it was pointed out to you just how bad Spurs defence have been this season.

By saying he wouldn't improve them (in your opinion) you are saying he is as good as the defenders they already have, which clearly contradicts your earlier statement below.

So why don't you quit while you're behind.

So he's not as good as two of the best defenders to ever play the game, and thats the reason you think we should we should sell him. Well in that case we should sell all our defenders then as none of them will ever be that good.

feck sake give it a rest will you. Do you feel it is a duty of yours to pop back into this thread every few pages and post the same old bull shit nonsense over and over again.
Its not about being as good as them, its about being reliable, consistent and dependable, showing spine and being a goddamn leader. key words i've been using throughout this discussion and throughout my criticisms of Evans. I've maintained that he wouldn't add quality or any kind of improvement to a top 6 team. You can quote my words and try and use them against me but my overall tone and piont is the same and anyone can see that. Not good enough.

manutddjw

I feel the same way about Evans as I do Jones and Smalling, where I rate them and think they're good enough, but I've been disappointed with how none of them stepped up and made the position theirs when Vidic and Rio left which was the plan all along.

There's been games or in Evans case, a season where they showed what they're capable of, but none of them have really kicked on. With LvG wanting to bring in a defender, even they stay here, it's a good bet that they'll be nothing more than squad players.

stevoc

You can quote my words and try and use them against me but my overall tone and piont is the same and anyone can see that.
You spouted some nonsense and contradicted yourself if you don't want to admit it that's fine.

But you said he wasn't good enough for Spurs (nonsense) and Sunderland was his level yet they have both conceded the same amount of goals and are therefore both equally wank defensively.

Do you still stand by these statements?

Its not about being as good as them, its about being reliable, consistent and dependable, showing spine and being a goddamn leader. key words i've been using throughout this discussion and throughout my criticisms of Evans. I've maintained that he wouldn't add quality or any kind of improvement to a top 6 team. Not good enough.
You've been consistent alright you keep posting the same 4-5 points over and over again.

Loublaze

ATLien
You spouted some nonsense and contradicted yourself if you don't want to admit it that's fine.

But you said he wasn't good enough for Spurs (nonsense) and Sunderland was his level yet they have both conceded the same amount of goals and are therefore both equally wank defensively.

Do you still stand by these statements?

You've been consistent alright you keep posting the same 4-5 points over and over again.
Evans is wank. This debate is pointless. Not good enough for United, not good enough for a top six team. Those are my thoughts.

stevoc

Evans is wank. This debate is pointless. Not good enough for United, not good enough for a top six team. Those are my thoughts.
But good enough for Spurs then yes, seeing as they are 7th?

So we agree you were in fact talking a load of nonsense a few pages back then yes?

Loublaze

ATLien

So we agree you were in fact talking a load of nonsense a few pages back then yes?
Dude, you're making something out of nothing. When it comes down to it i've made my main points and thoughts clear. Spurs are a team that are always chasing a place in Europe and they are widely considered a top 6 team. The other five being United, Liverpool, City, Arsenal and Chelsea. Are you denying this? Spurs may be 7th at the moment but they're always in the frame whereas teams like Everton and now Southampton pop in from time to time. Anal retentive much? The real questions will be answered a few seasons from now when we see where Evans ends up, and IMO it won't be with a top team.

stevoc

Dude, you're making something out of nothing. When it comes down to it i've made my main points and thoughts clear. Spurs are a team that are always chasing a place in Europe and they are widely considered a top 6 team. The other five being United, Liverpool, City, Arsenal and Chelsea. Are you denying this? Spurs may be 7th at the moment but they're always in the frame whereas teams like Everton and now Southampton pop in from time to time. Anal retentive much?
You spouted nonsense and then contradicted your nonsense several times now and are too proud to hold your hands up and admit it which i find hilarious. That's what i'm making something out of.

The real questions will be answered a few seasons from now when we see where Evans ends up, and IMO it won't be with a top team.
It might be Spurs, you never know.

NoPace

Spurs play a puffy child at RCB, so he might start there, but an Evans-Walker right side defies all logic, taste and reason.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
You spouted nonsense and then contradicted your nonsense several times now and are too proud to hold your hands up and admit it which i find hilarious. That's what i'm making something out of.

It might be Spurs, you never know.
You're the one who is being pedantic here. You can't really come up with any reasoning for your own belief so you're merely picking out the continuity errors in his posts. I don't think he's said anything far fetched.

stevoc

You're the one who is being pedantic here. You can't really come up with any reasoning for your own belief so you're merely picking out the continuity errors in his posts. I don't think he's said anything far fetched.
Which is?

stevoc

to be honest, not really sure. You haven't even made a clear argument for yourself here.
I had an idea you didn't even know what the discussion was actually about. Might be an idea to know whats being discussed mate before jumping head first into someone's conversation and making assertions.

What argument exactly do i need to make?

Well let me fill you in with the short version, i don't need to make any argument because i wasn't posting nonsense pulled out of my arse, i was simply highlighting said nonsense.

Have a read back through the last 2 pages if you want the long version.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
With his suspension, and his lack of 'match-rhythm' - added to the importance of every game now with the run in - I think there is a possibility that Mr Evans has played his last game for us.

If that is the case, it would be a sad way for it to all end, but I would imagine he would be first of any senior central defensive departures this summer, and injuries permitting - I can't see him getting much more of a look in with the stakes so high.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Would anyone else prefer:

Evans - Rojo

Or

Jones - Evans

To

Jones - Rojo

Don't get me wrong, both Jones and Rojo are better defenders than Evans but the chemistry between Jones and Rojo is frightening. Bad Cop/Bad Cop is never a good recipe.