g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Jonny Evans image 35

Jonny Evans Northern Ireland flag

2014-15 Performances

View full 2014-15 profile

4.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

dirkey

Thousands of football players spit on the ground. At best, he's being extremely ignorant while spitting so closely to an opposing player and he can cop a fine if the FA thinks so. What will you say if it happened with De Gea and he claims that he didn't spit at the opponent?
As I mentioned in the post you quoted, no matter what player it was, I would say he deserved a ban. If he really needed to spit, and wasn't spitting at the opponent, he'd have waited the further 3 seconds to turn around and spit on the ground.

As it was, he quite blatantly spat right in the direction of the player who was getting to his feet from below him. Can't be more conclusive, deserves whatever ban he will rightfully get.

pauldyson1uk

Sorry but I think it is a poor show by Evans , the video evidence is there he spat in the direction of him, he knew where he was spitting and he knew the reaction, he should just accept what he did and take the ban.

Zoo

He denied it and deserves the benefit of the doubt, it can't be proven that it was intentional. Nobody wants to be labeled a spitter and it's not like he has any sort of form for it.

dirkey

Honest to God, to those claiming he was just spitting on the ground, watch this again. Look at the start, after the tackle. Back to Cisse. Spit then. Nope, I'll wait ... wait ... get to my feet ... turn ... kick out ... then spit. But hey, I'm only spitting on the ground. Sure.

Disgraceful, embarrassing conduct of a Manchester United player. ANY Manchester United player.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
As I mentioned in the post you quoted, no matter what player it was, I would say he deserved a ban. If he really needed to spit, and wasn't spitting at the opponent, he'd have waited the further 3 seconds to turn around and spit on the ground.

As it was, he quite blatantly spat right in the direction of the player who was getting to his feet from below him. Can't be more conclusive, deserves whatever ban he will rightfully get.
There's just no way that you can say that for sure. We are talking if's and but's. Like I said, if Evans is banned by the FA, then fair enough. But most of this 'Ban him' from our supporters is mostly because the player is going through a difficult time form wise.

pauldyson1uk

There's just no way that you can say that for sure. We are talking if's and but's. Like I said, if Evans is banned by the FA, then fair enough. But most of this 'Ban him' from our supporters is mostly because the player is going through a difficult time form wise.
Not from me , I think he spat.
I like Evans thought he played well last night , he just let himself dawn, sadly looks like Cisse is the one with balls right now and admitting what he did was wrong.

fishfingers15

I'm not his greatest fan, but he's a player who showed a lot of promise. We let go of Pique because of Evans. He played through much of that record breaking no goal conceded sequence with Vidic. He has contributed massively in our defence. I have no idea why some of you behave as if he has always been a terrible player. feck off with that shite.

dirkey

Not from me. I'd say the same about anyone in the same position, from De Gea to Rooney.

I really don't think there's any ifs and buts there to be honest. He waits until he's in the perfect position to spit at him. Has all the time beforehand to spit, and could wait a few seconds until they untangle after the spit to do it. Is he that much of a compulsive spitter that he simply HAD to spit at the exact moment that Cisse was in his line of fire? Just after kicking out at him, with a pretty contorted look of anger on his face? Lot of coincidences really.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
I see, which ones then?
Those that would like nothing more than to haul his arse out of the club. That would welcome as long as possible ban not to see him play. Injury? Ah, no, would kill his price in the summer. There were similar cries against Young, against Valencia, still against Cleverley, and I loathe seeing that on THE Manchester United forum.

fishfingers15

Not from me , I think he spat.
I like Evans thought he played well last night , he just let himself dawn, sadly looks like Cisse is the one with balls right now and admitting what he did was wrong.
I think Cisse spat at him in retaliation thinking Evans did spit at him. The gif does him no favors, and it looks like he's spitting directly at Cisse. But it's difficult to prove intent. I'm ok with him copping a ban, but I'm not sure it's a clear cut case.

Not from me. I'd say the same about anyone in the same position, from De Gea to Rooney.

I really don't think there's any ifs and buts there to be honest. He waits until he's in the perfect position to spit at him. Has all the time beforehand to spit, and could wait a few seconds until they untangle after the spit to do it. Is he that much of a compulsive spitter that he simply HAD to spit at the exact moment that Cisse was in his line of fire? Just after kicking out at him, with a pretty contorted look of anger on his face? Lot of coincidences really.
I don't have a portal inside Evans' head, so I can't be sure. All I'm saying is that you are making an assumption there.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I'm not his greatest fan, but he's a player who showed a lot of promise. We let go of Pique because of Evans. He played through much of that record breaking no goal conceded sequence with Vidic. He has contributed massively in our defence. I have no idea why some of you behave as if he has always been a terrible player. feck off with that shite.
Didn't we let Pique go because he was homesick/wanted to go back to Barca or something like that?

dirkey

I think Cisse spat at him in retaliation thinking Evans did spit at him. The gif does him no favors, and it looks like he's spitting directly at Cisse. But it's difficult to prove intent. I'm ok with him copping a ban, but I'm not sure it's a clear cut case.

I don't have a portal inside Evans' head, so I can't be sure. All I'm saying is that you are making an assumption there.
You're right, I guess I am making an assumption. But I think there's enough there to make that assumption to be honest. Far too many coincidences, timing too perfect, allied to the fact he's obviously annoyed.

Devil may care

Those that would like nothing more than to haul his arse out of the club. That would welcome as long as possible ban not to see him play. Injury? Ah, no, would kill his price in the summer. There were similar cries against Young, against Valencia, still against Cleverley, and I loathe seeing that on THE Manchester United forum.
Understood, I guess if thinking he should be sold makes me a bad fan I'll wear that, I've thought that for ages now, some players just aren't the quality needed, nothing wrong with saying they should be sold IMO, the team comes first. As far as wanting him banned, I agree that is unpleasant, personally I am neutral on it, if he's punished I can't see an avenue to argue, but if he escapes punishment then fine.

fishfingers15

Didn't we let Pique go because he was homesick/wanted to go back to Barca or something like that?
It's a combination of a lot of factors, He wanted playing time, he was wanted by Barcelona, and we had Evans who can play from the bench. Ok, I was a bit disingenuous with that post, but anybody who thinks Evans was dogshite always shouldn't be taken seriously, IMHO.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
As far as wanting him banned, I agree that is unpleasant, personally I am neutral on it, if he's punished I can't see an avenue to argue, but if he escapes punishment then fine.
Game, two, three. Should accept it. But six is madness. Someone from Sky Sport wants ten!

"...black cnut..." gets you four, lad that kicked fellow footballer "because he was black" got eight.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
It's a combination of a lot of factors, He wanted playing time, he was wanted by Barcelona, and we had Evans who can play from the bench. Ok, I was a bit disingenuous with that post, but anybody who thinks Evans was dogshite always shouldn't be taken seriously, IMHO.
I don't think anyone would think he's complete shite: certainly he has had some good spells for us, although was probably a bit overrated for a while.

Will Absolute

As poor as spitting is, I can't for the life of me understand why some people say it's the worst thing that can happen on a football pitch.

How is it worse than a leg breaking tackle and racism etc. Again, it's bad but there are worse things that happen on the pitch.
The football authorities, whether FIFA or the FA, aren't thinking objectively about how likely bad behaviour is to injure an opponent etc. They're interested in appearances - the 'image' of the game. - money. Spitting looks ugly on TV.

Devil may care

Game, two, three. Should accept it. But six is madness. Someone from Sky Sport wants ten!

"...black cnut..." gets you four, lad that kicked fellow footballer "because he was black" got eight.
In England spitting at someone is seen as the lowest thing you can do in a sport, I know other countries don't seem to take it as seriously, but we do here.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
If it was Suarez who spitted on Cissé, we would have destroyed him. I mean that it’s clear that Evans did something, and something bad. Even if he’s our player, we have to accept the decision because it was a bad behavior from him, that can affect our image.

I remember Fergie saying that he will never say something to a player if he’s suspended after a tackle or so, but he would destroyed him because of a bad behavior…

It’s too late now, if Evans has 6 to 10 games, it’s purely on his fault, and he will penalize us a lot.

soapythecat

No defending it - can't see a reason for defending him at all.
Nothing to do with him being British, or being pretty average when he plays, but the fact of the matter is he spat at another player then doesn't even have the balls to admit it, apologise and take his punishment.
It's been hard enough to warm to him as a player this season but this just makes me not care for him as a man….which he isn't acting like.

Steven Seagull

Imagine being a professional sportsman and getting that wound up by a couple of little flicks at each others legs that you start spitting on each other.

What a pathetic way to get yourself a 6 game ban. That's Evans' season near enough over if it is 6 games, considering he'll need to get into "match rhythm" when he returns.

Brophs

The One and Only
Imagine being a professional sportsman and getting that wound up by a couple of little flicks at each others legs that you start spitting on each other.

What a pathetic way to get yourself a 6 game ban. That's Evans' season near enough over if it is 6 games, considering he'll need to get into "match rhythm" when he returns.
He'll barely have time to get himself injured again.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
This is a bit sad tbh. If it's a 6 game ban then he might well have played his last game for United

Sam

6 game ban :lol:

Only 2 less then Suarez's racial abuse ffs.

Brophs

The One and Only
I don't like spitting, but I don't remember ever finding it as disgusting as a lot of you seem to.