• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Do I want Mourinho here next season - Not Really
Who would I replace him with? - No idea

He finished the season in second so yeah he won't get the sack, but I really worry going into next season.
First off, the football is atrocious to watch. Even when we were beating teams 4-0 or so early in the season, it wasn't great football, it was proficient, but that was about it.
It doesn't matter who he brings in as his assistant, he's played this way so it will stick.

Moving on to the players. Although they have to take some of the responsibility, we have an attack that has names like Pogba, Sanchez, Martial, Rashford, Mata and Lukaku. How we cannot play adventurous attacking football with this lot is beyond me. I'm not getting into the discussion that Klopp or Pep would do A,B or C with them, but if we swapped Salah for Martial at the beginning of the season, I'd confidently say that Salahs numbers would be slashed in half and more, yet Martials would double.

We're talking about the idea of losing Martial. Yeah he has inconsistencies, but the ability is clearly there. He's not getting the chances, although early in the season when he had a consistent run, he was one of our better players, yet Mourinho is seemingly happy to cast him off. I worry that he is going to end up our De Bruyne / Salah.

But look at Pogba also. A great talent who is being held back. He has to take some blame, I'm not saying he doesn't, but would you be inspired working for Mourinho? I'm not sure how anybody can be these days.
You're asked to play rigid, negative football with zero adventure, and know that the manager will throw anybody under the bus to divert attention from himself.
If that was a workplace, would you want to stay there?

I do worry that this is season it all turns sour, but what worries me is that it's another window where he could end up buying ageing players (not that I'm fully against that), while selling our younger talented players to then up and leave.

I don't think City will get the same points total as they did this year, but I still don't see with how we play, how we'd catch them.
Even in the cup competitions we've been average.

We won the Europa, sure, but we even stuttered to that trophy.
1 goal win over Rostov
Extra time vs Anderlecht
1 kick away from being knocked out against Celta Vigo

I just don't think his style of football is what wins you the big competitions anymore. He's to scared to go out and beat a team. Even lower teams like Palace, we play so negative until we're losing.

I could go on, I'm boring myself, and I'm sure I bored you lot after the first paragraph....
Rant over :lol:

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
You're basically the Farage-type I was talking about below, desperate for the celestial moment when an "I told you so" moment illuminates your life:
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/jos...ents-poll-added.431384/page-337#post-22561482

You were against Mourinho before he was even appointed, and more relevantly to your post earlier today were one of LVG's biggest defenders:
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/post-match-vs-feyenoord.421797/page-9#post-19802629
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/bbc-united-hold-talks-with-mourinho.414325/page-313#post-19161695
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/bbc-united-hold-talks-with-mourinho.414325/page-24#post-18746310

There's therefore three possible conclusions to your post earlier today:

a) your post is full of shit
b) you're a filthy hypocrite
c) you want Mourinho to stay

Which is it?
I’m against a misogynist and dour man running a club I feel privileged to be a part of. I tried for a while to think “he’s here now, he deserves my support” but he’s making the exact same mistakes he’s made at every club. He alienates players and fans while making everything about him.

SirMattBugsby

Watched the recent Sunday Supplement and one of the guys made a good comparison of his present mood/football with his first Chelsea stint.

The 2005 Jose had a good mixture of humour and snappiness and correspondingly, his football was a perfect blend of defence and counter-attacks. It's easy to forget how exciting Chelsea were then. Mourinho football wasn't always boring.

The present Jose, however, seems to have gone full cynical, so has his team on the pitch. I'm just speculating here tbh, but is he starting to find the job tiresome? I hope not because, even in the present state, he got us our highest league position post-Fergie.

There's clearly a top manager in there, who just needs to rediscover the joy of managing. Hopefully, the summer window will do the trick, which is why I hope the club fully backs him.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Miguel Delaney wrote something pretty accurate i thought: "There is as much chance for a full blown meltdown next season, as there is of success".

The risk with Mourinho is that the team could completely capitulate next season if we have a few results against us. I think his way of managing takes a big toll mentally on the players.
Hopefully an aggressive summer with 5-6 players to strenghten the team, will bring some life back to the club and make us much stronger.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

He finished the season in second so yeah he won't get the sack, but I really worry going into next season.
First off, the football is atrocious to watch. Even when we were beating teams 4-0 or so early in the season, it wasn't great football, it was proficient, but that was about it.
It doesn't matter who he brings in as his assistant, he's played this way so it will stick.

Moving on to the players. Although they have to take some of the responsibility, we have an attack that has names like Pogba, Sanchez, Martial, Rashford, Mata and Lukaku. How we cannot play adventurous attacking football with this lot is beyond me. I'm not getting into the discussion that Klopp or Pep would do A,B or C with them, but if we swapped Salah for Martial at the beginning of the season, I'd confidently say that Salahs numbers would be slashed in half and more, yet Martials would double.

We're talking about the idea of losing Martial. Yeah he has inconsistencies, but the ability is clearly there. He's not getting the chances, although early in the season when he had a consistent run, he was one of our better players, yet Mourinho is seemingly happy to cast him off. I worry that he is going to end up our De Bruyne / Salah.

But look at Pogba also. A great talent who is being held back. He has to take some blame, I'm not saying he doesn't, but would you be inspired working for Mourinho? I'm not sure how anybody can be these days.
You're asked to play rigid, negative football with zero adventure, and know that the manager will throw anybody under the bus to divert attention from himself.

I do worry that this is season it all turns sour, but what worries me is that it's another window where he could end up buying ageing players (not that I'm fully against that), while selling our younger talented players to then up and leave.

I don't think City will get the same points total as they did this year, but I still don't see with how we play, how we'd catch them.

1 goal win over Rostov
Extra time vs Anderlecht

I just don't think his style of football is what wins you the big competitions anymore. He's to scared to go out and beat a team. Even lower teams like Palace, we play so negative until we're losing.

I could go on, I'm boring myself, and I'm sure I bored you lot after the first paragraph....
Clearly there?

So martial will turn into messi if he plays for klopp or pep or poch?

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
I’m against a misogynist and dour man running a club I feel privileged to be a part of. I tried for a while to think “he’s here now, he deserves my support” but he’s making the exact same mistakes he’s made at every club. He alienates players and fans while making everything about him.
You waited 2 weeks after his first transfer window closed to make a gloating anti-Mourinho post.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Clearly there?

So martial will turn into messi if he plays for klopp or pep or poch?
Yes the ability is there. Before Sanchez came in, he was one of our better players this season.
I'm not saying he's the finished article by no means, but he can become a very good player, and no I don't think he'll ever be anywhere near as good as Messi, but on the other hand, throw Salah in our side this season and he wouldn't be performing anywhere close to where he is now.

So on the flip side, I reckon Martial playing in that Liverpool side would have twice the season he's had here

SammyUnited_83

Miguel Delaney wrote something pretty accurate i thought: "There is as much chance for a full blown meltdown next season, as there is of success".

The risk with Mourinho is that the team could completely capitulate next season if we have a few results against us. I think his way of managing takes a big toll mentally on the players.
Hopefully an aggressive summer with 5-6 players to strenghten the team, will bring some life back to the club and make us much stronger.
Exactly. If he's gone by Xmas we will be left in the shit.

Get someone in now.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW

1 goal win over Rostov
Extra time vs Anderlecht

Not boring at all my friend. Just the frustrations of a true fan.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Watched the recent Sunday Supplement and one of the guys made a good comparison of his present mood/football with his first Chelsea stint.

The 2005 Jose had a good mixture of humour and snappiness and correspondingly, his football was a perfect blend of defence and counter-attacks. It's easy to forget how exciting Chelsea were then. Mourinho football wasn't always boring.

The present Jose, however, seems to have gone full cynical, so has his team on the pitch. I'm just speculating here tbh, but is he starting to find the job tiresome? I hope not because, even in the present state, he got us our highest league position post-Fergie.

There's clearly a top manager in there, who just needs to rediscover the joy of managing. Hopefully, the summer window will do the trick, which is why I hope the club fully backs him.
I certainly wouldn't class Mourinho's Chelsea as particularly exciting as far as PL winners go, but they did look a lot more capable than our current side under him of controlling and largely dominating a game. Here it feels we're playing cynically with the hope we might win. Back at Chelsea you felt like you were watching a side who were never really on the backfoot as such, and who generally always looked stronger than their opponents.

Minimalist

Pfft, blatantly stealing our conversations on the Caf. :lol:

SirMattBugsby

I certainly wouldn't class Mourinho's Chelsea as particularly exciting as far as PL winners go, but they did look a lot more capable than our current side under him of controlling and largely dominating a game. Here it feels we're playing cynically with the hope we might win. Back at Chelsea you felt like you were watching a side who were never really on the backfoot as such, and who generally always looked stronger than their opponents.
Maybe not in an attacking sense, but that Chelsea (and even the title-winning side in his second stint) was well-functioning, which can be equally enjoyable. Mourinho teams usually manage their opponent's strengths and exploit their weaknesses and, like you say, when done well they look a daunting prospect on the pitch.

I wouldn't comment on the effect this is having on our young attackers or whether it matches the United way: that has already been discussed enough. All I'm saying is, we haven't seen the best of Mourinho yet. I for one do think this squad is not upto the mark and we should fully support him this summer to get whoever he wants.

If the man himself is upto the challenge, that is.

JMack1234

At the start of the season i'd of walked over hot coals for Jose but now I do have grave doubts that have grown exponentially since the new year.

• I don't like the style of play
  • I don't think he's suited to our squads strength
  • I don't like that we've spent £65 million on two centre-backs since he's arrived and we're starting Smalling and Jones in a cup final AND we're in the market for another centre-back this summer.
  • I don't like that his first reflex reaction when we run into trouble is to get his CV out and start listing of his achievements so everyone knows this has nothing to do with him
  • I don't like that he picked a fight with the fans
  • I really don't like his treatment of Shaw, by the way I don't think Shaw is even that good but the way that Mourinho is incapable of speaking about him without throwing a bitter jibe his way is very distasteful

However, I do think we need some consistency and continuity for once and I think the improvement in this side has earned him the chance to at least have one more go next season.

But i'm worried.

Canagel

I wasn't aware of this stat. It doesn't reflect well on Mourinho at all. FFS... :(
That is terrible. For me right now the football has reached Van Gaal levels of unwatchability. Our best football under Mourinho was around October 2016 when we peppered teams like Burnley with record shots but just couldn't finish. Why haven't we built on that? There should've been an upward trajectory this season with the football and the goals being scored but infact we've gone backwards. We were better to watch last season in some games. For example the 2-1 win over Middlesbrough was fantastic. We went behind but kept attacking and throwing kitchen sink and it worked. Also the 1-1 draw vs Stoke. We could've scored 5 or 6 but we played some top football regardless. Why haven't we built on that? We've created less chances than anyone in top 6, scored more goals but that was inflated by start of the season when we won games 4-0 scoring in late periods of games. Someone here said that could've been down to our higher fitness levels than most teams in the PL because we had a very intense preparation with preseason etc. Once everyone caught up with us we lost that advantage. It was probably nothing to do with improved quality in front of goal.

Last edited:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
That is terrible. For me right now the football has reached Van Gaal levels of unwatchability. Our best football under Mourinho was around October 2016 when we peppered teams like Burnley with record shots but just couldn't finish. Why haven't we built on that? There should've been an upward trajectory this season with the football and the goals being scored but infact we've gone backwards. We were better to watch last season in some games. For example the 2-1 win over Middlesbrough was fantastic. We went behind but kept attacking and throwing kitchen sink and it worked. Also the 1-1 draw vs Stoke. We could've scored 5 or 6 but we played some top football regardless. Why haven't we built on that? We've created less chances than anyone in top 6, scored more goals but that was inflated by start of the season when we won games 4-0 scoring in late periods of games. Someone here said that could've been down to our higher fitness levels than most teams in the PL because we had a very intense preparation with preseason etc. Once everyone caught up with us we lost that advantage. It was probably nothing to do with improved quality in front of goal.
Jose's teams always peak in the first half of a season two. In that period the team are fully ingrained in his methods but it's also to early to be burned out by them.

shaky

I wasn't aware of this stat. It doesn't reflect well on Mourinho at all. FFS... :(
You could look at it that way. You could also say he improved our goalscoring record in his first season compared to the season before, and he improved it by a further 14 goals this season too. If he keeps the improvement rate up next year, we'll be the 2nd top scorers.

Treble

You could look at it that way. You could also say he improved our goalscoring record in his first season compared to the season before, and he improved it by a further 14 goals this season too. If he keeps the improvement rate up next year, we'll be the 2nd top scorers.
The improvement is down to the first 4-5 games of last season when United scored 4 goals on 3 occasions. After that it was the same old shit.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Honestly, if he quit right now would anyone on here feel anything other than relieved and maybe even a bit excited for next season?
Just like many excited we had moyes and not mourinho? Cut from the same cloth, finally the chosen one, imagine what he can do with our budget, punching above his weight, shoestring budget, plays united way, develops youth.

red4ever 79

Shocking, but is anyone surprised. You only have to sit through one our games these days, never mind 50+ this season to feel it. How many times we get to half time with 0 shots on goal. Whole system and tactics are a joke and firmly on the manager

shield

The improvement is down to the first 4-5 games of last season when United scored 4 goals on 3 occasions. After that it was the same old shit.
True. I don't think anyone can say that we are a team that scores a lot of goals. We try to win matches, but we don't generally focus on winning by scoring a lot a goals. We generally try to score a few and then defend hard to shut the opposition out.

Treble

So those games dont count?
34 games provide a better basis for generalisations than 4 games, no?

It would be better if those 14 goals difference to the 16/17 season were more evenly spread out.

Treble

In the second half of 17/18 season United scored only 28 goals, that is we were scoring at the same rate as the previous season.

Oldyella

At the start of the season i'd of walked over hot coals for Jose but now I do have grave doubts that have grown exponentially since the new year.

• I don't like the style of play
  • I don't think he's suited to our squads strength
  • I don't like that we've spent £65 million on two centre-backs since he's arrived and we're starting Smalling and Jones in a cup final AND we're in the market for another centre-back this summer.
  • I don't like that his first reflex reaction when we run into trouble is to get his CV out and start listing of his achievements so everyone knows this has nothing to do with him
  • I don't like that he picked a fight with the fans
  • I really don't like his treatment of Shaw, by the way I don't think Shaw is even that good but the way that Mourinho is incapable of speaking about him without throwing a bitter jibe his way is very distasteful

However, I do think we need some consistency and continuity for once and I think the improvement in this side has earned him the chance to at least have one more go next season.

But i'm worried.
That's where I am at too. He's earnt another year by way of our league position , but I have serious reservations about both what happens to our squad over the summer re both exits and new signings and the way both our form and general attitude around the club seemed to deteriorate over the past season.

Edit - and if he announced this summer he was moving on I would probably be equally as relieved as disappointed

crossy1686

career ending
Exactly. If he's gone by Xmas we will be left in the shit.

Get someone in now.
Don't think we can to be honest, we'd need the season to sound out a new manager and prep for their arrival. If we did it now it would be too short notice and ultimately set them up for failure during the season.

I think all actions from this point forward need to be in mind of the next incoming manager as well as supporting the current one (in case there is vast improvement).

If we give Jose the full season, barring a meltdown, and things don't improve then we could start looking into a new manager after Christmas, meaning we could get the target we wanted instead of the one that's available, see Arsenal's current situation for an example.

shaky

In the second half of 17/18 season United scored only 28 goals, that is we were scoring at the same rate as the previous season.
In 2017/18, we finished ahead of 4 of the other 5 teams on the list though. Is goals scored more important than points won? I was making a simple point about the goals scored table that you're keen to pick holes in, so it's probably only fair you pick holes in the goals scored for all the other teams too then.

Treble

In 2017/18, we finished ahead of 4 of the other 5 teams on the list though. Is goals scored more important than points won? I was making a simple point about the goals scored table that you're keen to pick holes in, so it's probably only fair you pick holes in the goals scored for all the other teams too then.
Your point was that the team tends to score more and more goal under Jose. My point was that the last 33 games of 17/18 season do not show such a tendency. The first 5 games in which United scored 16 goals distort the picture. After them the productivity was the same as the previous season.

Good luck if you expect United to score more goals than Spurs and Liverpool next season. Won't happen.

shaky

Your point was that the team tends to score more and more goal under Jose. My point was that the last 33 games of 17/18 season do not show such a tendency. The first 5 games in which United scored 16 goals distort the picture. After them the productivity was the same as the previous season.

Good luck if you expect United to score more goals than Spurs and Liverpool next season. Won't happen.
We were only 6 behind Spurs this season. And 5 of them came against Leicester in the final game of the season, which obviously doesn't count using your logic. Our goal difference was +14 in LVGs last season. Jose has had +25, then +40 this year. Probably a better metric to use anyway.

Treble

We were only 6 behind Spurs this season. And 5 of them came against Leicester in the final game of the season, which obviously doesn't count using your logic. Our goal difference was +14 in LVGs last season. Jose has had +25, then +40 this year. Probably a better metric to use anyway.
Agree about that. Chelsea 05 scored only 72 goals but won 95 pts.

haram

34 games provide a better basis for generalisations than 4 games, no?

It would be better if those 14 goals difference to the 16/17 season were more evenly spread out.
So we scored at a similar rate to Spurs then? Is that not one of the teams people bang on about when they talk about attacking football?

Even then we can point out games where Spurs boosted their goals tally like against Leicester.

rm4eva

Supports
Real Madrid
Real Madrid broke him somehow...
Or if you look at the timelines, the game has caught up with Mourinho and will pass him by in the coming years.

At Madrid he had a compliant board that made all sorts of concessions for him. Mourinho's problems stemmed from his over-reliance on Ronaldo to score, poor squad rotation and confrontational attitude. His first 2 seasons were a success but in his third season Ronaldo performed poorly in the starting 10-12 games, he never rotated when the first choice midfielders played poorly and started picking up fights with players/captain/board members.

ash_86

Last year this time we were talking about Pool and how great their records v top6 was and Jose needs to do that. Well, this year we've a great top 6 record and pool has a horrible one. Why is it not talked out much in Jose's favor? If his methods are so old, how did we manage to beat every single team out there? Even likes of Klopp couldn't do that.

Oneunited26

Or if you look at the timelines, the game has caught up with Mourinho and will pass him by in the coming years.

At Madrid he had a compliant board that made all sorts of concessions for him. Mourinho's problems stemmed from his over-reliance on Ronaldo to score, poor squad rotation and confrontational attitude. His first 2 seasons were a success but in his third season Ronaldo performed poorly in the starting 10-12 games, he never rotated when the first choice midfielders played poorly and started picking up fights with players/captain/board members.
I just don’t think Jose is in love with the game anymore, he’s a manager who just doesn’t have the hunger anymore. When fergie during his later stages of his manager career while he did not add players that he should have, he still had that edge about him to win. Now I look at mourinho he just seems very very unhappy something is not right with him, someone in the board need to speak to Jose if he even wants to be here, because if he’s not really committed then Woodward needs to really start looking at preparing for jose’s Departure. We cannot have another Ferguson situation where they hadn’t a clue what to do when he was going, the way we going we going to have a fight for a top 4 because the way it’s going the club is in a critical stage. If I could describe Jose, he just looks burnt out who wants to be with his family, if he wins a PL title next season he will defiantly leave

Dante

Average bang
Why the hell does Klopp keep getting brought up? He's NOWHERE NEAR as good as Mourinho.

Klopp plays a high risk game which leaves his sides vulnerable to losing points they should be winning. By playing so open, his teams' level of performance can range from very high to very low. There's no August-to-May consistency or domination that Pep or Jose could give you. You're getting jealous over a manager that's all fur coat no knickers.

Klopp is a manager you bring in to get you points in the 72 to 76 range. He's only ever got more than that once when he got 81 (in fairness, a 34 game season). Mourinho got that same total this year during one of his worst ever seasons.

There's no real comparison between the two as points gatherers. It's Mourinho all the way. Even as a cup manager, Jose would still edge it if you take the entire course of their careers. He's been getting us to final after final since he took over. Klopp's relatively easy run in the CL deserves a reasonable amount of credit, but I don't think it's the best measure of him as a boss. Knockout records should be judged over a number of years, rather than in the lead up to a single game. It's certainly his biggest strength, mind you. But not one where he's better than Mourinho.

E-mal

:lol: So basically you came to this conclusion watching 1 game in 3 months?
I have followed the Caf and other outlets in my freetime and is like I didnt miss much.
And this decision is predicated on the initial 6 months of insipid football I have watched.

Status
Not open for further replies.