BBC: United hold talks with Mourinho

Would you be happy to see Jose Mourinho become next United manager?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Yep. He'd have to be a magician of the dark arts variety to makes us as unwatchable as the great El Vee Gee.
When he got sacked he had scored less goals, had less shots and had less points than LVG. After three years he leaves every club he's been at in a worse state and we are already starting low enough down.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
If we are in talks, it pretty much a certainty he will become manager. The timing is just weird, though i guess it was something that was never meant to get out.
My feeling is that Mo and Mendes 'let it slip' that we're in talks with him. Gives them the upper hand as they know most fans are thinking short term and will only see the need to get back on top immediately. Moreover, the 'Pep' factor has panicked supporters. It'd be rather clever of them to let it be known that there are talks, and then let the media do the rest imo.

Revan

Assumptionman
Fergie never dropped anywhere near as low
Indeed.

On the other side, Mourinho has a more impressive collection of trophies than Fergie (of course, adjusting it to the number of years they spent as managers).

Spoony

The People's President
When he got sacked he had scored less goals, had less shots and had less points than LVG. After three years he leaves every club he's been at in a worse state and we are already starting low enough down.
Good. I'm sure you'll back him whole heartedly till he starts doing an LVG at United then.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
It's going to be a bleedin' civil war on here should José struggle, with those who want to shag him on one side & those who believe he's Hitler without the charm on the other.
He's a lot less attack-minded than Hitler, that's for sure.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
My feeling is that Mo and Mendes 'let it slip' that we're in talks with him. Gives them the upper hand as they know most fans are thinking short term and will only see the need to get back on top immediately. Moreover, the 'Pep' factor has panicked supporters. It'd be rather clever of them to let it be known that there are talks, and then let the media do the rest imo.
A cunning and smart manager? Yes please!

Compared with the guys in blue jeans having his blood froze seeing a great man coming

Revan

Assumptionman
Chelsea were in that bad state, that they reached the finals of UCL in the same season he left, with virtually every player being a Mourinho player.

He left Madrid in a terrible position. The team was that bad that they won UCL the following season.

And apparently he left Inter in a mess. Winning a treble means that the team was in a mess.

The only team he really left in a bad position is Chelsea now. But the legends grow, and Twigginater will find himself supporting a club who wins trophies, but hating their manager. It would be fun.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It's going to be a bleedin' civil war on here should José struggle, with those who want to shag him on one side & those who believe he's Hitler without the charm on the other.
Up for some gunrunning, Steve?

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
Chelsea were in that bad state, that they reached the finals of UCL in the same season he left, with virtually every player being a Mourinho player.

He left Madrid in a terrible position. The team was that bad that they won UCL the following season.

And apparently he left Inter in a mess. Winning a treble means that the team was in a mess.

The only team he really left in a bad position is Chelsea now. But the legends grow, and Twigginater will find himself supporting a club who wins trophies, but hating their manager. It would be fun.
He wouldn't have left these places had everything been a fecking bed of roses. The fact someone comes in and instantly improves things is a slight on Maureen, not a boon!

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Even under Fergie we lost Pogba, Rossi, Pique to another clubs... All of them have been doing well.. Rossi been unlucky with injures tho.
Losing Pogba and Pique was far more of an error. Genuinely world class players who are proven talents at the very highest level. Lukaku and KDB haven't proven that yet.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Imagine the meltdown if we have Giggs as manager at te start of next season.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
That condition is Van Gaal as manager though isn't it?
No, he wasn't the manager since the early nineties, was he?

You only joined this site when he was appointed and your only real interest is in supporting him.
Yes and No. I joined this site because I was very happy that the greatest club in England hired a great manager, it was an audicious choice that fit the club and I felt like giving and discussing a bit of background information on the new manager as I'm quite familiar with his work. Appearantly this was appreciated because I got suddenly and prematurely promoted from the newbie forum and I continued oosting.

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
In all honesty, can someone answer me this-
When he parked the bus when Costa was injured, with all the attacking flair and midfield control that that Chelsea side has, what did you think when he isolated that game?
And how do you think he will cope with this current United side?

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
A cunning and smart manager? Yes please!

Compared with the guys in blue jeans having his blood froze seeing a great man coming
I don't mind him being cunning and smart. I'm not 100% opposed to him. But he can be an emotional mess as we've seen. And I doubt a 50+ year old man is likely to change his personality. Frankly, we shouldn't expect him to. I'm also afraid of him having too much say in how the club runs - United need to nip that in the bud. If we had someone there with proper football knowledge that he'll be accountable to I wouldn't mind him at all. I just think we will be in for a shock if we let him have control the way we've always done with our managers. It would cost a hell of a lot of money to rectify things should he put us in the shit.

I just think we need to be calm here. Stop using LVG as the barometer of making future decisions for the club. LVG should have no bearing on the direction we need to take.

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
I don't mind him being cunning and smart. I'm not 100% opposed to him. But he can be an emotional mess as we've seen. And I doubt a 50+ year old man is likely to change his personality. Frankly, we shouldn't expect him to. I'm also afraid of him having too much say in how the club runs - United need to nip that in the bud. If we had someone there with proper football knowledge that he'll be accountable to I wouldn't mind him at all. I just think we will be in for a shock if we let him have control the way we've always done with our managers. It would cost a hell of a lot of money to rectify things should he put us in the shit.

I just think we need to be calm here. Stop using LVG as the barometer of making future decisions for the club. LVG should have no bearing on the direction we need to take.
The best reply I've read in this thread.

Revan

Assumptionman
He wouldn't have left these places had everything been a fecking bed of roses. The fact someone comes in and instantly improves things is a slight on Maureen, not a boon!
It wasn't exactly improve, right?

Anyway, in Chelsea, for years the team was almost on auto pilot, after he left. Various managers used Mourinho players and system and did relatively well.

In Inter, they hired a fat waiter who wanted to change anything and so they crashed and burn. But really, I cannot blame Mourinho for them hiring Benitez.

In Madrid, he won the title in the league, something that Ancelotti couldn't do after him, and Benitez/Zidane seems to not be able to do. In addition Pellegrini and Juan De Ramos before him weren't able to do it. Ancelotti won UCl, something that Mourinho wasn't able to do, so fair play to Carlo. But as SAF showed, and Pep is showing iat Bayern, winning that cup is really difficult and no manager can guarantee it. What Mourinho did was get 3 times in UCL semis, which is as good as you can reasonably expect from any manager. In order to win it, start literally need to align.

My point is that he didn't leave any club bar Chelsea this time in mess. Inter made a series of shit decisions, while Chelsea, Porto and Madrid continued well. If a team is left in mess, it is difficult to continue strong immediately. For example. Moyes left United in mess.

Mourinho was sacked from Chelsea/Madrid and both those sacks were harsh. I mean, he got sacked from Madrid despite that he won a title in three seasons against the bestest team ever, and reached three times UCL semis. He got sacked from Abramovich for finishing second, a year after he won his second title there.

If Fergie or Pep or Jesus worked under Abramovich or Perez, they would have been sacked too. And not for making the team a mess.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

I'd rather him calling the shots rather than giggs and rooney calling them, just like how they lead a mutiny for having chips? Yeah right, makes me so wanted a stronf manager to tell them it's my way or the highway

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

The Inter squad he left he had run into the ground. There was nothing a manager could have done with them the season after, they were pretty much done.

He arrived and spent most of his money right away on Ricardo Queresma and Sully Muntari. Queresma (his biggest signing) won worst signing of the year.

He sold Ibrahimovic and spent his money next year on 30 year old Milito. His defence that night consisted of four players who were 30+ and he had no intention of buying any one younger.He knew it was his last season and got the most out of his players, without any thought of the future.

That's what he does. He burns players out. He played John Terry in every minute of every premier league game last season. Then he is pants this season and can't see why. Matic last year is in the prime of his career, didn't get a break and he looks broken this year. I predicted Mourinho's shit third year at Chelsea while other posters were making predictions of him dominating the league for years.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Admittedly this would be infinitely worse:lol:
I know! :lol:

Even the people who don't want Mourinho, can admit he's likely to bring some success or at least stability, in the short term at least. Most of them anyway. So people will make their peace with him coming and then we'll appoint Giggs and the Caf will explode.

binary bot
Didn't want him six months ago but it feels as if we've our backs against the wall now and he's the best way out. He's the win at any costs choice

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Imagine the meltdown if we have Giggs as manager at te start of next season.
My biggest fear with Giggs is that I don't want him to be sacked at all, so if he fails it's going to really hurt me.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
To be honest I would prefer someone who doesn't have the tendency to fall out with his players after 3-4 seasons. I'm also not really fond of his playing style but he usually delivers success for a while and I guess that's why most people want him here.
SAF consistently fell out with plenty of his players and most of us accepted he knew best.

Why the double standards with Jose?

Revan

Assumptionman
The Inter squad he left he had run into the ground. There was nothing a manager could have done with them the season after, they were pretty much done.

He arrived and spent most of his money right away on Ricardo Queresma and Sully Muntari. Queresma (his biggest signing) won worst signing of the year.

He sold Ibrahimovic and spent his money next year on 30 year old Milito. His defence that night consisted of four players who were 30+ and he had no intention of buying any one younger.He knew it was his last season and got the most out of his players, without any thought of the future.

That's what he does. He burns players out. He played John Terry in every minute of every premier league game last season. Then he is pants this season and can't see why. Matic last year is in the prime of his career, didn't get a break and he looks broken this year. I predicted Mourinho's shit third year at Chelsea while other posters were making predictions of him dominating the league for years.
And yet somehow, Moratti considers Mourinho the best manager he ever hired. Moratti wanted to win UCL at all costs. When Mourinho went there, Inter hadn't won UCL in 50 years and hadn't reach semis since 2003. He didn't had even a top 8 team in Europe, and didn't have near as much money as others. What the heck was he supposed to do? Somehow win the UCL in 2 years while also signing young players, all that in a limited budget? Who would have been able to do it?

The Inter team was great if Benitez didn't happen. Milito and Sneijder were two of the best players in Europe, as was Eto'o. Cambiasso was still good, Maicon and Cesar was still great, Lucio and Samuel were still useful and Zanetti was still going strong. The spine of the team was there, and the new manager needed to just built on it. Instead, FSW decided to change anything. And they burned!

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
And yet somehow, Moratti considers Mourinho the best manager he ever hired. Moratti wanted to win UCL at all costs. When Mourinho went there, Inter hadn't won UCL in 50 years and hadn't reach semis since 2003. He didn't had even a top 8 team in Europe, and didn't have near as much money as others. What the heck was he supposed to do? Somehow win the UCL in 2 years while also signing young players, all that in a limited budget? Who would have been able to do it?

The Inter team was great if Benitez didn't happen. Milito and Sneijder were two of the best players in Europe, as was Eto'o. Cambiasso was still good, Maicon and Cesar was still great, Lucio and Samuel were still useful and Zanetti was still going strong. The spine of the team was there, and the new manager needed to just built on it. Instead, FSW decided to change anything. And they burned!
Not how I see it. I see it as Mourinho got the most out of an aging squad, knowing that in the future it would cost these players form and fitness, and then resigned knowing he couldn't build the team back up.

One of Ferguson's most important qualities was the fact he always planned for the future. Not Mourinho. Fergie would give squad players and the like a game and get them ready for the future. Mourinho relies on his chosen players, sacrifices others (Lukaku, De Bruyne etc) and doesn't rotate at all. You end up with a team that physically and mentally can't cope any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.