Jose Mourinho | 2017/18 Assessments | Poll Added

Your stance

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

RooneyLegend

They'll still use the fact we finished 6th last season, so anything apart from 5th will be "progress" in their eyes. Even though it's Jose's fault we finished 6th, considering the season before that LVG had us 5th and on the same points as the 4th placed team - City. So using the logic of league positions, we regressed in Mourinho's first season.
You need to get with the program mate, we might have dropped a place from a sack worthy 5th place finish, but we did win those two glorious cups that only a proven winner can win.

Social Madworks

I wonder since when league cup and Europa cup are “glorious”? Oh, must be since Mourinho won them.

GreenHeron

Some stats since the start of November in league, CL and FA Cup.

With Shaw in the XI - P9 W7 D2 L0
Without Shaw - P13 W6 D2 L5

With Martial in the XI in a familiar position (i.e. LW or CF) - P11 W8 D1 L2
Without - P11 W5 D3 L3

These stats may help to explain why many people don't automatically back the manager when he continues to treat Shaw or Martial (or anyone else for that matter) harshly. The stats don't back him up. His past treatment of the same and other players, here and at previous clubs, suggests very fallible judgement.

Almost all trusted Fergie because his judgement was proven to be almost always right over the years. Many distrust Mourinho because his judgement hasn't and he has been shown to have his favourites and favourite scapegoats irrespective of results.

MDFC Manager

You need to get with the program mate, we might have dropped a place from a sack worthy 5th place finish, but we did win those two glorious cups that only a proven winner can win.
I wonder since when league cup and Europa cup are “glorious”? Oh, must be since Mourinho won them.
Didn't the guy himself gloat that he got the club to win the only trophy missing from the cabinet? I think that makes it glorious enough :wenger:

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Very realistic possibility that we'll only be hanging onto 4th by the end of the day.

MDFC Manager

Very realistic possibility that we'll only be hanging onto 4th by the end of the day.
Still an improvement over last season, so nothing to worry about.

Seriously speaking though, think we'll get a draw tonight.

Borden

We're not the most successful club in england if you smugly discounting those trophies.

But hey its won under mourinho so its a shit trophy eh

"The Champions League is only European competition we have to play and that's the European competition we have to give our best. I don't want to win the Europa League. It would be a big disappointment for me. I don't want my players to feel the Europa League is our competition."
- Mourinho July 2013

"When I returned, I felt the experience of Chelsea playing Europa League was not good. The Europa League is a different competition [to the Champions League], the Europa League is a different level of competition for a different level of player and a different level of club. It is not good for a big club to go there and win it. It is better for the evolution of the players and for the evolution of the team to be in the Champions League."
- Mourinho August 2015

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
It's going to be an interesting couple of weeks for Mourinho. We need a win today otherwise we'll be starting down the barrel of the prospect of being turned over by both Chelsea and Liverpool, which is a real possibility right now. If that happens then we might struggle for top 4.

If these stories rumble on regarding us possibly losing De Gea, Martial and Pogba as well, then things will turn nasty I think. To potentially lose those three would be a huge set back.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
"The Champions League is only European competition we have to play and that's the European competition we have to give our best. I don't want to win the Europa League. It would be a big disappointment for me. I don't want my players to feel the Europa League is our competition."
- Mourinho July 2013

"When I returned, I felt the experience of Chelsea playing Europa League was not good. The Europa League is a different competition [to the Champions League], the Europa League is a different level of competition for a different level of player and a different level of club. It is not good for a big club to go there and win it. It is better for the evolution of the players and for the evolution of the team to be in the Champions League."
- Mourinho August 2015
Yes... shit mourinho. He's past it. The sooner we sack him the better. So we can hire poch play blitzkrieg football and conquer erope in a glorious treble.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
What's this poll talk about? What poll do you guys want?
A poll gauging the Caf's stance on Mourinho, with a few options.

edit: Suggested this yesterday:
A) Top class manager half way through a major rebuild
B) Made improvements, worrying signs, needs another transfer window
C) Should go if we miss out on x,y,z this season (top 4?)
D) Hate our style, he's ruining our most talented players, sign an attack-minded manager

Litch

There's a few attack minded managers in this league who have won absolutely nothing so depends on what you want. The irony is those teams that are playing that way, the fans are still moaning about not winning anything. If city don't win the CL, irrespective of their style of football, the history books will say no different than their previous 'failed' managers....

Andersons Dietician

It's going to be an interesting couple of weeks for Mourinho. We need a win today otherwise we'll be starting down the barrel of the prospect of being turned over by both Chelsea and Liverpool, which is a real possibility right now. If that happens then we might struggle for top 4.

If these stories rumble on regarding us possibly losing De Gea, Martial and Pogba as well, then things will turn nasty I think. To potentially lose those three would be a huge set back.
Could you just imagine if any of the news paper reports were true and those 3 left. All in the same summer as well that would be catastrophic not only for the fans but in general Just Manchester United the brand, the elite club.

fellaini's barber

Another thing I don't get is all this 'there's no better manager out there' and '**** manager has won nothing' talk. Better clubs than us are taking their chances with promising upcoming managers so why are we acting like we're too good for everyone else except former CL winners and are better of sticking with Jose based on his past despite what we're seeing currently

Tom Van Persie

No relation
No other big club will want him just due to his brand of football. He basically fell out with flair player like CR7 and Hazard due to his negative approach to the games. Now it is Pogba's turn. It is normal. I can't imagine Neymar would entertain the idea parking the bus.
You've just made that up.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
In the last four years he's won five trophies and currently has the highest winning percentage in our history, that's on the wane?
He’s also spent more money than any other manager in our history too.

He has been a fantastic manager throughout his career, but that does not disguise the fact that he has us playing The most mind numbingly boring football out of all of the top clubs in Europe.

Flax_Generous

D) Hate our style, he's ruining our most talented players, sign an attack-minded manager
I would love to see the Caf’s answers to that poll.

Varun

Staff

Fill your hearts out.

Garethw

It's not the result, 0-0 away is fine. It's the way we played. Had it not been for DDG, we would have lost. It was a total shambles in attack. We couldn't string 2 proper passes on the counter. It was just hoof the ball to Lukaku and hope for the best.
Exactly, it was the manner of the result rather than the result itself that was so dissapointing.

Mourinho set the team up with zero intention of even trying to win the game.

Can you even begin to imagine what we will be like if we get drawn against a Barcelona, Bayern or PSG?

AndyJ1985

There's a few attack minded managers in this league who have won absolutely nothing so depends on what you want. The irony is those teams that are playing that way, the fans are still moaning about not winning anything. If city don't win the CL, irrespective of their style of football, the history books will say no different than their previous 'failed' managers....
There's always exceptions, but generally the dominant teams who win titles and the CL have a very strong attacking unit. City may not win the CL, Liverpool and Spurs may not win the title any time soon, but right now they all look closer to achieving those goals than we do. Can any United fan honestly say they are confident of us challenging for the title next season? Right now I can't see anything other than another season of dull performances and another fight for top 4. A more attacking manager who brings the best out of our best players would at least bring more optimism and a bit of excitement.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Same as how emphasis on attackers defending rather than attacking has become something to jerk over. Since Mourinho taking over some people have written some absolute garbage that one would never imagine them writing just a few years back.

A few years back talking about attacking players with emphasis on their defensive contribution first and work rate ray her than their offensive output was getting frowned upon on these boards but now they've changed tunes with the arrival of Mourinho. Some people are truly fickle. Easily brainwashed.

Cloud7

Another thing I don't get is all this 'there's no better manager out there' and '**** manager has won nothing' talk. Better clubs than us are taking their chances with promising upcoming managers so why are we acting like we're too good for everyone else except former CL winners and are better of sticking with Jose based on his past despite what we're seeing currently
Yup. All of Barca’s last few managers have been promising managers, one of which ended up being Pep. Madrid gave the job to Zidane and he won back to back CL’s. Bayern are rumored to be looking at the up and coming managers in the Bundesliga, after firing one of the most illustrious managers in the last decade, after being underwhelmed by him, regardless of his history of winning trophies(where does that logic for backing the manager no matter what sound familiar).

Not us though. For our fans a promising manager is not enough, we need someone who’s won it all before.

I actually used to think like that as well, which was one of the major reasons I was opposed to Giggs. Now, having seen Vangle and now Mourinho, I changed my views on our managers having to be someone who has won something before. How the manager sets his teams up and what he gets out of his teams is far more important to me now.

Garethw

There's always exceptions, but generally the dominant teams who win titles and the CL have a very strong attacking unit. City may not win the CL, Liverpool and Spurs may not win the title any time soon, but right now they all look closer to achieving those goals than we do. Can any United fan honestly say they are confident of us challenging for the title next season? Right now I can't see anything other than another season of dull performances and another fight for top 4. A more attacking manager who brings the best out of our best players would at least bring more optimism and a bit of excitement.
Agreed mate.

Minimalist

I’ll be in the air for this match I’m afraid. Last time that happened was last season when I was flying back from Paris...and United beat Chelsea 2-0.

You’re welcome Jose. Don’t let me down.

Litch

History informs the future and that's what I base my opinion on. Ok we are behind City but also are the other teams that you've mentioned. Looks are deceiving and since we've not won the PL (Leicester aside) and the CL, we are only talking about the same teams that were challenging us under SAF. I get the dull football but that's another argument but in reality currently there is only 2 teams in European football that attacking football equals trophies, optimism counts for nothing without it trophies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
In the last four years he's won five trophies and currently has the highest winning percentage in our history, that's on the wane?
He's definitely not at his peak when you consider there was just one league title in that period (going to be one in five now?) and one complete disaster of a season. I don't think he's lost it but Jose does have a point to prove ATM. You'd expect an elite manager to win the league at United within 3 years at the very most given the spending power we do have. Europa and FA cup don't match the ambition of the club and everyone knows it. We were all happy we won those but you don't need to spend obsene amounts to win those trophies. Look at our Europa league run it. We played bang average sides.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Really there's no excuse for us missing out on the top four. If that happens (allied with Mourinho's less than thrilling approach to football) then he's done a poor job.

On the other hand, I really don't trust the club when it comes to appointing managers. In fact I would probably still have more faith in Mourinho winning the title in a CL-less 18/19 season than in the club replacing him well.

So basically if we finish outside the top for I'll think he deserves to be fired but be too anxious about the consequences of that to actually want him fired. Hopefully we get top four, else it will be a difficult summer.

Garethw

Hasn't it been stated quite a few times that Ronaldo doesn't like Mourinho ? Not sure about Hazard, neither seem to be big fans
I know that the rumours are that Mourinho wanted Ronaldo to track back and help out the fullback and Ronaldo flat out refused.

Hazard has taken a swipe at a Mourinho on a few occasions in the media. He also refused to shake Mourinho’s hand when we played Chelsea.

suhaylah

If we miss out on top 4 he should definitely get sacked. If we get top 4 and next year we don't see improvement in the style of play and specially results he should get sacked even midway in the season.

diplomat

Yes... shit mourinho. He's past it. The sooner we sack him the better. So we can hire poch play blitzkrieg football and conquer erope in a glorious treble.
You can't pretend as if Jose never said what was quoted in that post. It's nice to win some trophies but at the end of the day fans mostly want Manchester United to be competitive in the EPL and CL, and win those two.

I view the FA cup on par with the EL or even a bit better, since it's one of the most famous domestic cup competitions in the world so I'd be happy if we win it this year but we are not definite favourites in my eyes.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
You can't pretend as if Jose never said what was quoted in that post. It's nice to win some trophies but at the end of the day fans mostly want Manchester United to be competitive in the EPL and CL, and win those two.

I view the FA cup on par with the EL or even a bit better, since it's one of the most famous domestic cup competitions in the world so I'd be happy if we win it this year but we are not definite favourites in my eyes.
He's shit. How can he not win a competition he's not in

Status
Not open for further replies.