g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Jose Mourinho admits he is powerless to stop Marouane Fellaini leaving Manchester United

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
It's a little bit worrying that Mourinho looks so desperate to keep Fellaini of all players...

All that assumes that we would be able to sell a player on the wrong side of 30 after signing a bumper new contract. The far more realistic scenario is that we wouldn't be able to get rid of him until his contract is up (or we just decide to let him go for free) because no club would pay a transfer fee AND meet his salary demands. Also, if he gets a new contract he might not want to leave at all and simply refuse offers anyway.
You're right.

An urealistic good idea would be to pay him a bonus resigning LOL and decrease his salary.

Your only saying this because the press reckons PSG are after him and you dont want him lol Said in jest
:D

According to the press, PSG targets Wendel (Fluminese), Fabinho (monaco) and Danilo (Porto).

deafepl

inb4 Fellaini renews and Moyes' West Ham pay the 700m € release clause
That's crazy! if Fellaini joined Moyes's West Ham for 700m, they'll be walking the league away with erase and "hammer" everyone that comes their way. Frightening!!

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
If there's any truth to this demand of 170k, he can feck off yesterday.

Home&Away

Why would PSG want Fellaini? I'm sure there have been stranger transfers in the history of football than that one - but not many...
We weren't particularly happy with him were we & we didn't take a giant step forward by buying neymar or mbappe or anyone of the likes

JohnnyKills

Hope he goes tbh. He's found a useful niche in the squad but he'll always encapsulate our period of post-Fergie mediocrity for me.

'The Fellaini Years' would be a fitting epitaph for the period since 2013.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Got a lot of time for the big guy and the issue is not him I believe. He should not be our second most effective CM in attack (Pogba being first) and that's on United. If he was like a third option (something I don't think he's willing to accept) I'll be all in. He's a unique player with a bulletproof mentality who's game is made for the EPL. He's worth his place in the squad but I can see him leaving because I get the vibe there are some clubs in Europe (those big boys in Turkey come to mind) who value him as more than a squad player.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Got a lot of time for the big guy and the issue not him I believe. He should not be our second most effective CM in attack (Pogba being first) and that's on United. If he was like a third option (something I don't think he's willing to accept) I'll be all in. He's a unique player with a bulletproof mentality who's game is made for the EPL. He's worth his place in the squad but I can see him because I get the vibe there are some clubs in Europe (those big boys in Turkey cone to mind) who value him as more than a squad player.

Foxbatt

Give him credit. He was brilliant against Ajax in the Final and the main reason we won was they simply could not handle him. Without Fellaini we would not have been able to negate their midfield. He gives all to the team and if he goes he will be missed.

walkinhop

He's won my respect for trying really hard and scoring some absolutely important goals for us. This being said, i'd rather us not need to rely on hoofed balls.

minoo-utd

Replace Fellaini,Lingard,Mata, Mkhitaryan. Sign a proper num 10, get back perrera, and sign another M.F a quick one can play beside Pogba, for me Matic is so defensive minded and very slow.

prath92

He's won my respect for trying really hard and scoring some absolutely important goals for us. This being said, i'd rather us not need to rely on hoofed balls.
We don’t really hoof the ball even with him in the side. This is such a big myth

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Firstly, I really don’t care what wages each player gets and whether a squad player (whoever decides that) is on x compared to another players y.

Absolutely none of my business.

Secondly, I’ve always kept things pretty simple...if a player (however good) doesn’t want to play for us then thanks and goodbye.

It’s not rocket science.

Bruce Wayne

Let him go. He was never a Man Utd caliber player. Few good games don't change that. We have enough height and strength in the team for set pieces.

ColvaleGoa

Anyone else read this news about letting Big Fella go to be replaced by the Brazilian Fred from Shakthar Donetsk? All this to happen in January.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
No issues if he goes. Yes he gives his all in some big games but then let’s himself and the team down with stupid and avoidable red and yellows in other games. He is actually a better footballer than people give him credit for. However £170k (if its not press bs)can be invested in better quality players or give Periera a more prominent role around the 1st team

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Look, I like Fellaini.
But MUFC should not be 'battling' to keep a player like him. Imagine SAF 'battling' to keep say, Park, at the club. Would never have happened and speaks volumes of where we are a club at the moment.
Park was thrice the player Fellaini will ever be. He was worth battling for.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Jose seems to like him but I don't know how Fellaini's camp have come to the conclusion they have the leverage to demand £150+ thou a week. He's a decent player and a fairly unique option but if we are to get anywhere near where we want to be there's no way he starts for us.

If he's frustrated with his treatment here and feels underappreciated I have some sympathy. He was given dog's abuse by some sections of the fan base because the side regressed after he was one of the two signings of a clueless manager. That wasn't Fellaini's fault yet he became emblematic of our failures on the pitch under Moyes.

I admire the way he came through personal adversity to work for the team and the manager, transforming himself from a complete joke who most fans would have driven to the airport themselves to a legitimate squad member. But if he thinks that gives him an ace to play in negotiations with United he's mistaken in my opinion, I'd be fine with him staying or going.

Last edited:

Yuval

I like and respect him but think we should let him leave

Verbalkint

He's the last player who can hold the club to ransom. If he isn't signing up, ciao it is.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Fair play to the big man for overcoming a poor start, looking like he was never going to be anything like an option, and finding his way to some form and a useful squad player.

I'm not fussed to see him go, as many have said I think we need to let the likes of Pereira have an opportunity, and I don't think Fellaini has ever really been the quality of player I'd associate with us. Bloody awkward though, and has certainly provide useful over the last year or so.

Bestietom

I honestly think that he would have been sold in the summer anyway. Mourinho is going to bring in at least 1 other midfielder maybe 2 depending on Herrera going or staying. Fellaini and his bit part would suffer even more next season. He probably would not even make the bench. Let him off, he is not worth the money/wages he is asking for.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
The idea that a Manchester United manager feels "powerless" with regards to anything player related is foreign to me.

I miss Fergie.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
We'd be so good with a strong midfielder who can actually play football next to Pogba, and an actual, top level 10 in front of them.

With all our rescources you'd think this would be obvious and sorted...

Camilo

I'd be sad to see him go - he's worked hard for us. Presumably the board have offered him a vastly reduced new wage, and if you're not valued in that regard then I totally understand him not signing. I can't imagine many other jobs where you're brought in, offered a big wage, you give your all, work hard and professionally, and are then offered less money - it doesn't work like that. We either want him or we don't, in my opinion.

Then again there could be plenty more to it, we know nothing as ever. Hope we work something out though.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I'd be sad to see him go - he's worked hard for us. Presumably the board have offered him a vastly reduced new wage, and if you're not valued in that regard then I totally understand him not signing. I can't imagine many other jobs where you're brought in, offered a big wage, you give your all, work hard and professionally, and are then offered less money - it doesn't work like that. We either want him or we don't, in my opinion.

Then again there could be plenty more to it, we know nothing as ever. Hope we work something out though.
Why do you presume he's being offered less than he currently gets...?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
The idea that a Manchester United manager feels "powerless" with regards to anything player related is foreign to me.

I miss Fergie.
Don't take it at face value. If this was a super talent it's not like Jose wouldn't make sure he tied him down. I suspect he'd like to keep him on in a squad-role, and the board would then want to pay wages that reflect that role. If he is after a huge pay package, then of course he has no future at United, nor if he wants to be playing every game (which is fair play). Jose creates leverage by "hoping he stays". If he goes, he'll obviously want more options in midfield.

He'll probably leave and we'll buy a midfielder who can actually play football.

Camilo

Why do you presume he's being offered less than he currently gets...?
I think he'd be taking a deal if it was reasonable. He gets and always has gotten good playing time here, and we're surely the only chance he's going to get to win something before he's done. I think it's a reasonable assumption that he's being offered less.

But like I said, how little we actually know.

Tiber

Not as awful as he used to be, but I wouldnt be at all sad to see him go.

Would swap him for Pereira right now if I was given the option.