Jose Mourinho - Was He Right?

haram

Yeah I don't believe a word he says. Sorry.

A short-term manager like him should have won the league within the first 2 years where he was backed.. His short-term game simply wasn't good enough to beat Pep or win the CL, and so his cycle has come to an end.
As if anyone would have stopped City last season :lol:

AgentP

Jose might have been right but the way he went about addressing the problem is wrong and hence deservedly got the sack.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
A robber can tell you robbery is wrong. The fact Mourinho is an ass shouldn't get in the way of seeing he had a point. A lot of our players have reputations much better than their performances. The club is indulging average players who have not got us close to a major trophy. Amazing some of these have been given leverage the likes of Beckham never were.

DLE

Alternative for Docklands Light Rail
Sure seems like Mourinho was right. And maybe that also explains why he’s been so calm, he knew the truth would come out and OGS would eventually fall into the same pit?

He'sRaldo

Mourinho got us into this position in the first place. Just because he's been gone a few months doesn't absolve him of anything.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Sure seems like Mourinho was right. And maybe that also explains why he’s been so calm, he knew the truth would come out and OGS would eventually fall into the same pit?
Of course, it's not as if Ole is some unknown quantity like Guardiola or Zidane who took a short time in the B team to move onto their first big job. Ole is a standard coach, relegated with Cardiff, went to a smaller league and did very well with Molde. He's not a miracle worker.

Hughie77

A robber can tell you robbery is wrong. The fact Mourinho is an ass shouldn't get in the way of seeing he had a point. A lot of our players have reputations much better than their performances. The club is indulging average players who have not got us close to a major trophy. Amazing some of these have been given leverage the likes of Beckham never were.
Agree, some or most of these would have been shown the door, just goes to show player power has taken over. Sadly our club is the poster boy at present of having to many egos which are not good for the club.

Christie

Mourinho got us into this position in the first place. Just because he's been gone a few months doesn't absolve him of anything.
I'm fairly certain we are shit well before he came on board.

Look I know it's hard to to admit that we are shit and our toxicity has forced away the best thing that happened to us since Fergie retired, but you don't call the grapes sour just becuase you are sticking them up your arse instead of your mouth.

Bruno Marques

Supports
Vitória de Setúbal
Mourinho was right and did everything he could to put the club in the right track. He was getting attacked in 3 fronts, fans, players and board. He lost it and started firing in every direction. Was he right in doing so? Probably not. But it looks like even shock tactics dind't work.

Now, only 2 from the bunch will suffer. The club and the fans. Mourinho will get another job, players will get other clubs, the board will keep doing money. It will take sometime until one of the greatest clubs ever to get back on his feet again.

JohnnyKills

I think it's clear that we've created a massive problem with the Sanchez wages. We've also got a lack of strong, committed personalities in the dressing room. And we've got players who are prone to downing tools in Pogba and Martial.

So in a sense Mourinho is right, yeah. But his attempt to handle those personalities was genuinely shite.

The problem is that Solskjaer seems to be too far the other way. Mourinho looked for confrontation at every opportunity, Solskjaer seems determined to be nice to everyone.

Surely we need to find some middle ground.

He'sRaldo

Look I know it's hard to to admit that we are shit and our toxicity has forced away the best thing that happened to us since Fergie retired, but you don't call the grapes sour just becuase you are sticking them up your arse instead of your mouth.
True. Maybe I should say the upper management got us into this position. But he didn't help with his transfers and training methods, which have left us in this state.

spiriticon

:lol: Uhhh no. Even if he was right about a few things about the squad (which quite frankly, didn't take a special one to work out), he was the worst of all the United managers in handling the ego problem. It fecking exploded in his face, and ours.

hn4manunited

Jose might have been right but the way he went about addressing the problem is wrong and hence deservedly got the sack.
No one is saying he didn’t deserved the sack. He behaved that way to get the sack so that he can walk away from this failing organization with a proper compensation.

Kapardin

Mourinho was right and did everything he could to put the club in the right track. He was getting attacked in 3 fronts, fans, players and board. He lost it and started firing in every direction. Was he right in doing so? Probably not. But it looks like even shock tactics dind't work.

Now, only 2 from the bunch will suffer. The club and the fans. Mourinho will get another job, players will get other clubs, the board will keep doing money. It will take sometime until one of the greatest clubs ever to get back on his feet again.
Sorry but no. Mourinho was also a problem and a bad appointment. He wanted the likes of Willian or Perisic who would have added to our collection of non-performers. So while he was wise enough to attack the board, he himself did not have a vision that would improve us significantly. He was just wrestling with Woodward for power, and neither of them had an outlook that would be favorable for us.

hn4manunited

:lol: Uhhh no. Even if he was right about a few things about the squad (which quite frankly, didn't take a special one to work out), he was the worst of all the United managers in handling the ego problem. It fecking exploded in his face, and ours.
Uh no...it didn’t explode in his face. He did what he did fully knowing he wanted to get the sack. It was to expose the players and the club hierarchy to the public. If you didn’t get that, you wouldn’t get it even if we tried to explain it. He had nothing to lose. He was going to get his sack and compensation either way.

The Hacker

He was right, of course, but he was also not the man to sort it.

In truth I dread to think what it will take to sort this, as well as how long it will take.

hn4manunited

Sorry but no. Mourinho was also a problem and a bad appointment. He wanted the likes of Willian or Perisic who would have added to our collection of non-performers. So while he was wise enough to attack the board, he himself did not have a vision that would improve us significantly. He was just wrestling with Woodward for power, and neither of them had an outlook that would be favorable for us.
I think you sell Willian and Perisic short. These are players with a will to play and fight. It is what our team needs. We have too many on our team that are happy to just lay down when the going gets tough.

This is the same thing as not backing the manager fully. If you trust in him to hire him, back him and don’t stop half way.

Giggs86

I think it's clear that we've created a massive problem with the Sanchez wages. We've also got a lack of strong, committed personalities in the dressing room. And we've got players who are prone to downing tools in Pogba and Martial.

So in a sense Mourinho is right, yeah. But his attempt to handle those personalities was genuinely shite.

The problem is that Solskjaer seems to be too far the other way. Mourinho looked for confrontation at every opportunity, Solskjaer seems determined to be nice to everyone.

Surely we need to find some middle ground.
Once the season ended he will start chopping heads. The honeymoon period is over and it goes both ways. The players that stopped putting in effort for him will feel his ruthlessness, and surely he will have the full backing of the board doing so.

spiriticon

Uh no...it didn’t explode in his face. He did what he did fully knowing he wanted to get the sack. It was to expose the players and the club hierarchy to the public. If you didn’t get that, you wouldn’t get it even if we tried to explain it. He had nothing to lose. He was going to get his sack and compensation either way.
If you're making excuses for him downing tools and being a quitter, I have nothing to say. If he has acted as you described, he is the chief mercenary out of all of them and quite frankly, good riddance.

I'd like to think he's a bit more of a leader than that, but hey it would not surprise me one bit at all considering Madrid broke his love for football long before he joined us.

mu4c_20le

I think you sell Willian and Perisic short. These are players with a will to play and fight. It is what our team needs. We have too many on our team that are happy to just lay down when the going gets tough.

This is the same thing as not backing the manager fully. If you trust in him to hire him, back him and don’t stop half way.
Willian is just a slightly better lingard. Chelsea wanted what, 50m?

Kostov

Of course he was right for many things but fecked up many things as well. If I could choose between Mourinho and most of this spineless sack of shits playing for our club I would have chosen him in a heartbeat. But we all know things don’t work like that in football.

Ekeke

These are the players Mourinho kept and bought. This is his team that Ole is trying to motivate. He made it

Distracted Steward

He was right on some things but wrong in a very Mourinho way of how to go about it.

The state of affairs doesn’t really vindicate him. He made as many problems with the first team as he inherited. Pretty hard to pity a man that brought such toxicity, blamed everyone else and neglected the attack.

Yes, there are deeper problems at the club and those problems held him back, but he did more to hamper himself here than was ever done to him.

Treble

Aren't his signings a significant part of the problem?

Sanchez ruined the wage structure and now all star players want silly money. Mourinho has helped in turning the team into a team of mercenaries.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Once the season ended he will start chopping heads. The honeymoon period is over and it goes both ways. The players that stopped putting in effort for him will feel his ruthlessness, and surely he will have the full backing of the board doing so.
He absolutely has to be ruthless.
It is pretty clear that the players have no loyalty to either him or the club and it's sufficient fans.
And don't expect this whole mess is going to have a quick fix.

haram

These are the players Mourinho kept and bought. This is his team that Ole is trying to motivate. He made it
These are the players Jose took to 2nd place and still wanted to upgrade but was blocked by the board. If you really think he wanted to sit there with Valencia and Young as his fullbacks last season you are deluded. Look at the calibre of teams and players he has managed and ask yourself if he knew the real standard of our current players.

The genius fan base decided that all we had to do was attack more though.

K13

I actually don't think he was right.

Mourinho does not last long in a club primarily because he falls out with his best players. The very motivational tools he uses to drive them in the beginning then become the poison that causes the friction.

He wanted ready made players and yet our history is built around giving youth a chance so it was always going to be a short term appointment.

After Mourinho left Chelsea for the second time he admitted the final pre-season fitness had started too late and left them short and out of the running for the PL title which is why they were so far behind when he was sacked. He misread the situation and expected his players to be ready when they returned to training later than usual after he gave them extra time off after a succesful season.

We were so dynamic for Ole's first 10 games in charge when we played with increased intensity which suited our style of play. Since those run of games we have had numerous muscle related injuries which has really stretched our squad and raised serious doubts about our fitness levels. So perhaps Mourinho was distracted and pre-season did not prepare our players for the slog ahead. I think the question can only really be answered once Ole has managed his own pre- season and then see where things stand next season.

Champagne Football

Jose turned his nose up at Johnny Evans for £3.5 million and Harry Maguire from Hull for £17 million. He had plenty of windows to fix the defense but with Jose it's like if the player is costing less than £80 million than he's not interested.

Canagel

Of course he was right for many things but fecked up many things as well. If I could choose between Mourinho and most of this spineless sack of shits playing for our club I would have chosen him in a heartbeat. But we all know things don’t work like that in football.
He bought most of them and kept others. His 75m striker can't control the ball. His defensive midfield is finished in less than 2 year. He brought mkhitaryan and when he flopped replaced him with a bigger flop which ruined the wage structure. He said Young shall be playing 50 games this season. He didn't buy an experienced RB for 2 year and seemingly had no intrest. Why should his failure in the squad building be ignored?

haram

Jose turned his nose up at Johnny Evans for £3.5 million and Harry Maguire from Hull for £17 million. He had plenty of windows to fix the defense but with Jose it's like if the player is costing less than £80 million than he's not interested.
What a shambolic post.

hn4manunited

These are the players Jose took to 2nd place and still wanted to upgrade but was blocked by the board. If you really think he wanted to sit there with Valencia and Young as his fullbacks last season you are deluded. Look at the calibre of teams and players he has managed and ask yourself if he knew the real standard of our current players.

The genius fan base decided that all we had to do was attack more though.
Exactly! That’s why he kept saying taking this team to 2nd with the quality of other teams around us was his biggest achievement of his career. This group of players are truly not good enough.

Some of you would call this a Jose team but I call it Ed’s team. Ed makes the final call on who we get. Jose has come out in the public during the season that he has no say in who Ed eventually buys. He is more of a coach in this set up. He’ll have to coach the team handed to him. I’m pretty sure that is not what he signed up to do. Hence, the situation we were in his third season. You can blame him but I blame Ed. Not to say Jose wasn’t in the wrong. He got the sack, so whatever he did to get the sack he eventually got it and deserved it. What does Ed get? He gets to put in place another manager and will continue to call the shots on how we run the club.

Look, i’m not making excuses for Jose. I will say the same thing for the next manager who fails here. There is a bigger problem than the manager who just happened to be Jose this last round. It will be Ole this next one and then so on and so forth. Every manager needs a different setup/environment to be successful. They are not going to come in here and change to adapt. Ole will need different things to succeed. If he doesn’t get that, he will fail as well. The managers can’t operate to suit Ed and his management team.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
He was right but he couldn't fix anything and only added to the rot. His own solutions are failures - Matic, Lukaku, Pogba, Baily, Lindelof, Sanchez - all Mourinho's doing.

John Blund

He was spot on, but he didn't do anything to make it better. He spent over £350M and none of his purchases looked like they were going to bring us success if he'd got another season in the chair. I totally understand why Ed didn't want to splash more cash on Mou.
Pogba was already out.
Lukaku made us all miss Rooney.
Fred - I didn't know he was a footballer before Ole took over.
Matic - Looked like he had retired before Ole brought him back for a few games.
Mkhitaryan - I don't know what happened there. He wasn't good enough for us, but that swap deal with Sanchez. What a nightmare.
Sanchez - I can't remember having a player causing more damage for any team when he's not playing. His salary is probably on Mourinho, but his lack of success in Red sure as hell isn't on Woody.
Lindelöf - I thought he was in way over his head. Mourinho couldn't get him to perform.
Dalot - Great game against Fulham, else I can't remember him under Mourinho.

Reddy Rederson

:lol: People still desperate to pin all this on Jose, in spite of the fact it’s al falling apart again. He was right about everything. He’s a cnut of a man, but he was right about everything. The club is a shambles. It’s been led into mid table level bullshit by Woodward, who continues to play millionaire football manger. If Jose couldn’t stand up to him to get his back to winning ways, how is ole going to manage it? Or anyone for that matter?

JohnnyKills

Jose was every bit as rotten as Pogba. 2 giant egos who crave the attention in every moment. Neither belong at clubs like Utd. We all predicted at the start of the season that both would be gone by summer 2019 and that looks like it's a certainty to happen.
Let's hope so!

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
He was right but he couldn't fix anything and only added to the rot. His own solutions are failures - Matic, Lukaku, Pogba, Baily, Lindelof, Sanchez - all Mourinho's doing.
Why is this point being totally ignored?

The revisionism going on in this thread regarding Jose's management of our club is frankly mind-boggling. He's been dressed up to be some sort of prophetic visionary when the reality of the situation is completely the opposite.

Are we forgetting the soul-destroying football that we were forced to endure in favour of positive results that never came?

Or how he relentlessly attacked the history and ethics of the club in an effort to save his own hide throughout his tenure?

Or how he never smiled or showed any emotion before, during or after games, sending out an ever-present stream of negative vibes?

The guy was an absolute disaster in every sense of the word.

Last edited:

GM K

Jose was right about our structure; the centre half situation; the need to spend more; Pogba, Martial, Shaw, the reality of where the club is now; the mentality of the players; the bad influence of some agents; etc.

We can talk about all he did wrong and how he contributed to the problems but boy, he was damn right.

Reddy Rederson

Why is this point being totally ignored?

The revisionism going on in this thread regarding Jose's management of our club is frankly mind-boggling. He's been dressed up to be some sort of prophetic visionary when the reality of the situation is completely the opposite.

Are we forgetting the soul-destroying football that we were forced to endure in favour of positive results on the pitch that never came?

Or how he relentlessly attacked the history and ethics of the club in an effort to save his own hide on numerous occasions throughout his tenure?

Or how he never smiled or showed any emotion before, during or after games, sending out an ever-present stream of negative vibes?

The guy was an absolute disaster in every sense of the word.
Imagine that your post is subject to someone elses whims. So instead of getting to say what you want to say, you get to say some of what you say and the rest is edited by someone else. Thats how I see united over the past 6 years. I dont think any of our managers have had the total control that we all think they did. Thats just my opinion of course. But I think its woodwards backs seat driving thats drove us off the cliff. Not moyes, not LVG, not jose, and not Ole.