Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

TheReligion

Abusive
I don't think it's a terrible result on it's own. We obviously need to get back to winning ways next weekend to keep us in the conversation. Given how the game went though, it's clearly two points dropped.
Don't think it's terrible no but a great opportunity missed.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
We've had 2 0-0 draws this season & both have come straight after an international break. Might just be coincidence, or we may suffer some sort of a momentum loss when so many players are away on national duty. All in all though I'm satisfied with the point. It's another tricky away game out of the way.

LFC-Fans

Supports
Liverpool
  • First game back after international break.
  • Away
  • Up against a more than half decent side.

A point is more than acceptable. Happy with the performance, just lacking the lethal finish. Something which is easily lost after the international break.

Onto Sunderland. After a weeks rest, here I DO expect a win.

TheReligion

Abusive
  • First game back after international break.
  • Away
  • Up against a more than half decent side.
A point is more than acceptable. Happy with the performance, just lacking the lethal finish. Something which is easily lost after the international break.

Onto Sunderland. After a weeks rest, here I DO expect a win.
Try playing as many games as United with Europe and Cup comps..

You should have won.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Not too upset about that result tbh. We played quite well, looked very solid at the back when we had anything to do, kept a clean sheet, a point more than last season from same fixture and cut thru a parked bus a few times - something we have struggled with in the past.

The only thing that let us down was finishing and general play in the final third - perhaps no coincidence that Phil, Bob and Mane all had very long trips during the intl break. They looked a bit off the pace at times.

Hopefully Boro can do us a favour tomorrow and keep us top, but if the plastics pick up where they left off before the break I expect an easy win for them.

Didn't see the Spurs game, but sounds like a great win for them. City are also well back on track. Arsenal were really poor and snatched a very lucky point off Utd. Near impossible to predict how the top 4 will look from week to week never mind at the end of the season.

LFC-Fans

Supports
Liverpool

You should have won.
Should have yes. Especially with the chances we had

But you can't win them all, and of all the games to have dropped points, away at St Mary's after an international break is not the worst.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
A point at Southampton is a job well done.

Points away at upper mid table teams are as expected. A win would be a bonus. They're getting very good results.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The important thing is the performance. Liverpool dominated and really should have won today. 2 points dropped but it can happen, if they keep playing like this they will go far this season

Silverman

You think Martial is a better player than Sturridge already?
Yes. People seem to think Sturridge is the same players as a few years ago but he isn't. Injuries have hampered him. If he was so good, he'd be starting for Liverpool.

Ruffian

Supports
Liverpool
Yes. People seem to think Sturridge is the same players as a few years ago but he isn't. Injuries have hampered him. If he was so good, he'd be starting for Liverpool.
Please don't despair. There is help out there. Counsellors, psychiatrists, anti psychotics, ECT. With help and work we can get you within touching distance of reality..

Rafateria

Looking at the results so far this weekend I think it's a big opportunity missed for you lot today.
I don't see it that way. Saints are a Top 7/8 team whereas (Arsenal aside) all of the others were playing relegation fodder. Good to get that game out of the way (from our 6 away games we've now played 4 of the probable Top 7 teams already : Arsenal, Southampton, Chelsea & Spurs).

Rafateria

You should have won.
That's not an excuse you can use yet. In nearly 4 months you've played 19 games to our 15 games .. and you have a far larger and more expensive squad (most expensive in history, anywhere not just PL).

Rafateria

Hopefully Boro can do us a favour tomorrow and keep us top, but if the plastics pick up where they left off before the break I expect an easy win for them.

Didn't see the Spurs game, but sounds like a great win for them. City are also well back on track. Arsenal were really poor and snatched a very lucky point off Utd. Near impossible to predict how the top 4 will look from week to week never mind at the end of the season.
Expect nothing but a Chelsea win, however they have some tough games coming up (H Spurs, A City before a run of easier games before A Spurs on 4th Jan). Spurs were lucky, very lucky. West Ham should have had that sewn up at 3-1 if ZaZa, the greedy prick, had just passed far earlier to Payet when West Ham had a 3 on 2. Son was also disgusting for the way he won the penalty - deliberately stretching his leg back as far as he could go to get a nick, no wonder he took so much stick from West Ham for his cheating.

City were lucky according to their supporters, I didn't see that game but even Pep agreed. Maybe suffering from jetlag/tiredness just as we were.

Wooly Red

Supports
Liverpool
Somewhat disappointed, really could have won. I guess everyone's going to be feeling somewhat crestfallen around these parts today. Except for City fans, that is.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I can understand the argument that Sturridge has declined, but I think he's still an excellent player and would start for most sides, I just don't think he's particularly suited to Klopp (but regardless he's a brilliant backup option for Klopp).

What I disagree with is that Martial has shown he is the better player, while I think he's a brilliant talent I don't think he's at Sturridge's level yet, this season he's been very poor, which is understandable as he's still learning his trade. Martial has just started his career, way too early to say he's a better option than Sturridge imo.

Roosney

LOL at you lot saying you're happy with the result and Saints away is suddenly a tough fixture. Feck off already, I'm sure you were expecting a 5-1 win and are gutted with the two points lost.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
LOL at you lot saying you're happy with the result and Saints away is suddenly a tough fixture. Feck off already, I'm sure you were expecting a 5-1 win and are gutted with the two points lost.
Not sure you can expect a 5-1 win anywhere, if it happens then yeah great. As for the result we'll see at the end of the season if it was 2pts dropped or a Pt gained. Both Clyne and Firmino should have scored, and subs should have been used at the 60min mark when it was obvious some of the team were off it and gassed. On Klopp that. Regardless we dominated again despite looking leggy which is a good sign, not happy with the result but we'll see between now and the end of the season how valuable or otherwise it was.

montpelier

They look like the best team to me, atm. But any of those top 4 could win 8-9 in a row, just hope it's one of the others & that fewer fixtures isn't always a big factor.

Albie hasn't nobbled anyone in training for a while, either, :(.

bio202

Supports
liverpool
Happy with the clean sheet but can't help but think we missed an opportunity yesterday.

Thought we played really well bar the finishing. I feel we have been in control of every game so far this season. Not really under pressure at all. Good signs for the future.

Back to the game, think their CB van dyke played very well and will go to a top club in the summer at the latest. He kept pace with mane on a couple of occasions.

I'm becoming confident of getting top four this season but think we will maybe come up a little short for the title. Chelsea are the team to beat for me. City and arse seem a little flakey imo.

TheReligion

Abusive
And Chelsea were brushed aside by Liverpool. However football changes week by week, player availability, fitness, jetlag, changes in tactics and a million other reasons.
That's not an excuse you can use yet. In nearly 4 months you've played 19 games to our 15 games .. and you have a far larger and more expensive squad (most expensive in history, anywhere not just PL).
So how many Liverpool players were jetlagged and how many Southampton players were on international duty?

I'm not sure what the value of a squad has to do with physical tiredness either.

Rafateria

So how many Liverpool players were jetlagged and how many Southampton players were on international duty?

I'm not sure what the value of a squad has to do with physical tiredness either.
How many Southampton players flew off to South America and Africa ? Use your brain.

Did you read the complete post or not ? I said FAR LARGER SQUAD (and expensive, which means strength in depth and therefore player rotation without weakening the team - should I really need to explain this).

TheReligion

Abusive
How many Southampton players flew off to South America and Africa ? Use your brain.

Did you read the complete post or not ? I said FAR LARGER SQUAD (and expensive, which means strength in depth and therefore player rotation without weakening the team - should I really need to explain this).
You didn't answer the question did you?

How many Liverpool players went on international duty and how many Southampton players did?

How many miles did each squad travel and what minutes did they play?

I'm genuinely interested.

bio202

Supports
liverpool
You didn't answer the question did you?

How many Liverpool players went on international duty and how many Southampton players did?

How many miles did each squad travel and what minutes did they play?

I'm genuinely interested.
Courtinio and firminio 14000 each, back Wed night late and mane 9000 back tues. The rest were just Europe I believe.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Courtinio and firminio 14000 each, back Wed night late and mane 9000 back tues. The rest were just Europe I believe.
I think BBC showed Mane as 16000 which surprised me. All three had gilt edged chances to score but that 1% drop in sharpness meant they didn't take theirs. Unlike Costa who was fully alert to get his poachers goal - as an example.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
All of southampton's internationals played in europe i think, but they did lose tadic to injury

TheReligion

Abusive
You'd think international duty was a new thing reading this thread and only Liverpool players went on it, despite the fact they've had no European miles midweek to make all season (Soton have by the way).

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
So who else in the Liverpool side had international duty and what about Southampton?
Looking at the starting line-ups, I'd guess something like this:

Soton: Forster, Fonte, Van Dijk, Davis.
Liverpool: Clyne, Wijnaldum, Henderson, Can (?), Mané, Firmino, Coutinho.

That's 4 for Southampton and 7 for us, but Forster stayed in England (I think?) and Van Dijk only had to travel to the Netherlands. Don't know about Davis and Fonte but they probably didn't go that far either unless they had to play Ukraine or Russia or something like that.

Clyne, Wijnaldum, Henderson and Can didn't travel too far either, I'll happily admit that. But our front three travelled across the world which will probably have had an impact on their performance. It's not an excuse I'm trying to use here, just a simple fact. Like others already said, they missed that 1% extra sharpness to put away their chances (especially Mané early on and Firmino in the second half, Clyne had an excellent header as well that went just wide), but it's nothing to complain about. We should've won, we didn't in the end but a clean sheet and draw at St. Mary's isn't too bad.

On another day we would've won this game, seeing as a lot of United fans think you've just been unlucky in your last couple of home games (don't know, haven't watched you play but certainly seems like it if I read that other thread), I think I can say we were unlucky as well - be that because of a lack of sharpness or we just didn't make our own luck, I'm not really arsed. We'll probably demolish Sunderland next week and we're back on track.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I think a lot of the time international week doesn't come down to the loss of fitness but the loss of momentum. I have no idea what the stats say but a lot of the time you can see the team has slipped a gear following the internationals.

We'll probably demolish Sunderland next week and we're back on track.
Sunderland to win at Anfield, you heard it here first.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Might not have scored against soton, but that doesn't mean we made it easy for them. Højbjerg on the game:

"I played in Germany against Bayern Munich and Dortmund, I played against Manchester City in the Champions League, but I must say this is maybe the best team I have ever played against... It's unbelievable how they move, how they stand, how they work together – it's like a symphony...It's not only that they move the ball quickly," he added, "they also have fast players, and with the ball they are very good one against one."

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I think a lot of the time international week doesn't come down to the loss of fitness but the loss of momentum. I have no idea what the stats say but a lot of the time you can see the team has slipped a gear following the internationals.

Sunderland to win at Anfield, you heard it here first.
Agree with the first part. The second is just a wild guess though - if they win, you look like a genius and if they lose, it'll only be normal. I think we haven't lost at Anfield since January and I certainly don't see the worst team in the league taking points off us right now.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Agree with the first part. The second is just a wild guess though - if they win, you look like a genius and if they lose, it'll only be normal. I think we haven't lost at Anfield since January and I certainly don't see the worst team in the league taking points off us right now.
Most people wouldn't, that's why it's important to put the money down now and get good odds.

Might not have scored against soton, but that doesn't mean we made it easy for them. Højbjerg on the game:

"I played in Germany against Bayern Munich and Dortmund, I played against Manchester City in the Champions League, but I must say this is maybe the best team I have ever played against... It's unbelievable how they move, how they stand, how they work together – it's like a symphony...It's not only that they move the ball quickly," he added, "they also have fast players, and with the ball they are very good one against one."
You can see where he's coming from, Liverpool play with such cohesion and with so many players who are good at carrying the ball forwards it'd be an absolute nightmare to try and dominate the midfield.