Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

Rafateria

On the oft mentioned Liverpool defence :

Only three sides—Arsenal (8), Chelsea (7) and Spurs (7)—have conceded fewer Premier League goals than #LFC since Joel Matip's debut (9).
So thats 9 goals conceded in our last 10 games.

I've made this point before but initially our defence was Mignolet, Moreno, Klavan, Lovren and Clyne (I think for the opening two games) and even after that we've only been able to field an unchanged back five once in the PL so far this season. So the comments re. our 'shitty' defence are way OTT. These last few games clearly show how good our defence actually is, i.e. pretty damn good.

VanGaalEra

Did Firmino play either match for Brazil? Got some depth up front now have Brazil.

Was Mane booed btw?

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Did Firmino play either match for Brazil? Got some depth up front now have Brazil.

Was Mane booed btw?
Nah Firmino hardly played (if at all).

I think most of the Southampton hatred was directed at Lovren.

bio202

Supports
liverpool
So who else in the Liverpool side had international duty and what about Southampton?
All others stayed in Europe, I was just answering your question.

Don't think it's an excuse but it could be a reason they were not as sharp. I think we missed lallana more tbh. Still should have won though but it happens. Bump in the road.

Edit; no idea ref Southampton.

bio202

Supports
liverpool
I think BBC showed Mane as 16000 which surprised me. All three had gilt edged chances to score but that 1% drop in sharpness meant they didn't take theirs. Unlike Costa who was fully alert to get his poachers goal - as an example.
Don't think it helps at all traveling but I think me missed lallana more. Still should have won but hey Ho. What I like is no one has dominated us this season. Ok, not all results have gone out way but that's just footy. Our performances have been consistent so far. Compare that to last season....

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.
I love the way the focus has shifted from us not being able to keep a clean sheet to not scoring .

:D

Honest opinion.

We did drop two points but still not grumbling . It show's you how far we have come under Klopp .

We don't have problems scoring like
United clearly do .

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
On the oft mentioned Liverpool defence :

Only three sides—Arsenal (8), Chelsea (7) and Spurs (7)—have conceded fewer Premier League goals than #LFC since Joel Matip's debut (9).
So thats 9 goals conceded in our last 10 games.

I've made this point before but initially our defence was Mignolet, Moreno, Klavan, Lovren and Clyne (I think for the opening two games) and even after that we've only been able to field an unchanged back five once in the PL so far this season. So the comments re. our 'shitty' defence are way OTT. These last few games clearly show how good our defence actually is, i.e. pretty damn good.
I think there's some confusion between having a bad defence and struggling to keep a clean sheet. The latter doesn't mean that the former is automatically applicable. Watching us over 90 minutes each week shows me that we're pretty solid for the most part, especially during open play. It's not like we're sitting there watching Liverpool concede chance after chance.

The issue for me is concentration. There's a drop either individually or collectively (usually at a set piece) that leads to us conceding a daft goal. This then gives off an image that we're poor defensively when I don't actually think we are. I did think that but over the last few weeks I've changed my mind on the subject, and we're much better at the back now than we ever were under Rodgers. Matip's been a huge part of that and he's been Klopp's best signing so far in my opinion.

Where we rank defensively compared to the sides around us (for arguments sake the other five sides making up the top six) is open to debate. Conte and Pochettino certainly seem to have more defensively solid sides than Klopp does.

bio202

Supports
liverpool
I think there's some confusion between having a bad defence and struggling to keep a clean sheet. The latter doesn't mean that the former is automatically applicable. Watching us over 90 minutes each week shows me that we're pretty solid for the most part, especially during open play. It's not like we're sitting there watching Liverpool concede chance after chance.

The issue for me is concentration. There's a drop either individually or collectively (usually at a set piece) that leads to us conceding a daft goal. This then gives off an image that we're poor defensively when I don't actually think we are. I did think that but over the last few weeks I've changed my mind on the subject, and we're much better at the back now than we ever were under Rodgers. Matip's been a huge part of that and he's been Klopp's best signing so far in my opinion.

Where we rank defensively compared to the sides around us (for arguments sake the other five sides making up the top six) is open to debate. Conte and Pochettino certainly seem to have more defensively solid sides than Klopp does.
Yeah, agree with this.

bio202

Supports
liverpool
I love the way the focus has shifted from us not being able to keep a clean sheet to not scoring .

:D

Honest opinion.

We did drop two points but still not grumbling . It show's you how far we have come under Klopp .

We don't have problems scoring like
United clearly do .
And he still has lots to do, give him another two years and.....

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
OptaJoe ‏@OptaJoe

800 – No Premier League player has completed more passes (800) or made more tackles (47) this season than Jordan Henderson. Influence.

40 - @lfc have scored 40 goals in 14 games so far this season; their best tally after 14 games in 121 years (48 in 1895-96). Rampant #lfc

14 – Philippe Coutinho and Sadio Mané have created 14 chances between themselves in the PL this season; the most of any duo. Dynamic.

2 - Adam Lallana is the only player to have assisted twice in a @PREMIERLEAGUE game on more than one occasion this season (2). Effervescent.

17 - Liverpool recorded more shots on target against Watford than any other team has managed in a PL match since Opta records began (2003-04). Top.

LFC Transfer Room ‏@LFCTransferRoom

Liverpool's DEFENCE have created 37 chances this season, more than any teams ATTACK other than Man City, Man Utd & Everton [OPTA] #LFC

We're going to be a handful for pretty much every team this season.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
OptaJoe ‏@OptaJoe

800 – No Premier League player has completed more passes (800) or made more tackles (47) this season than Jordan Henderson. Influence.

40 - @lfc have scored 40 goals in 14 games so far this season; their best tally after 14 games in 121 years (48 in 1895-96). Rampant #lfc

14 – Philippe Coutinho and Sadio Mané have created 14 chances between themselves in the PL this season; the most of any duo. Dynamic.

2 - Adam Lallana is the only player to have assisted twice in a @PREMIERLEAGUE game on more than one occasion this season (2). Effervescent.

17 - Liverpool recorded more shots on target against Watford than any other team has managed in a PL match since Opta records began (2003-04). Top.

Liverpool's DEFENCE have created 37 chances this season, more than any teams ATTACK other than Man City, Man Utd & Everton [OPTA] #LFC

yeah Klopp will flop at Pool :rolleyes:

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
He certainly will not be a flop but it is still early days in the season and I've yet to be convinced a Klopp team can maintain those kind of levels throughout an entire season.
I think that's the concern that a lot of Liverpool fans have as well. Hopefully with a week between games, we should be ok but it'll be interesting to see how we do when we play City and Sunderland 43hrs apart over Christmas.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
He certainly will not be a flop but it is still early days in the season and I've yet to be convinced a Klopp team can maintain those kind of levels throughout an entire season.
What levels? Are they markedly different to other teams? The possession stats are incredibly high - that's a lot easier than chasing the round thing.

thisbe

Supports
Liverpool
I think a lot of the time international week doesn't come down to the loss of fitness but the loss of momentum. I have no idea what the stats say but a lot of the time you can see the team has slipped a gear following the internationals.
Sunderland to win at Anfield, you heard it here first.
Yeah, I think international breaks definitely cause a loss of momentum sometimes. I'm pretty sure the Swansea match came after one of those, too? I remember thinking we looked completely lost for the first part of the match, and although we pulled it together and improved you could still see there was a difference.
As for the second part... I don't *think* so, but then again, they've won two straight matches now. I wouldn't be shocked if it happened, to be fair.

I agree with all of this. I used to be terrified every time another team attacked because we would always, always look like conceding, and I don't feel that way anymore when I watch us. On set pieces it's another story, but during open play I think we're -- well, relatively solid. Not up there with the best defences in the league, obviously, but yes, Matip has improved us a great deal.

It's those lapses in concentration or poor decision-making that we need to get under control, if that's even possible. But Klopp has absolutely improved our defence, even though there might be more work to do.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
What levels? Are they markedly different to other teams? The possession stats are incredibly high - that's a lot easier than chasing the round thing.
I guess I'm thinking more about the pressing. Not saying they cant maintain it, but just not convinced yet. No doubt they are playing well but lets see how things are once Christmas is over.

Wooly Red

Supports
Liverpool
That Christmas period is going to be a problem. Pressing or possession or whatever style, two games in 48 hours is not ideal in any way!

Ruffian

Supports
Liverpool
That Christmas period is going to be a problem. Pressing or possession or whatever style, two games in 48 hours is not ideal in any way!
It's the same for other clubs though. And at least the second game is easy on paper. I think we'll go with a B/League Cup team for the Sunderland game. Sturridge, Origi, Klavan, Moreno, Grujic etc.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
It's the same for other clubs though. And at least the second game is easy on paper. I think we'll go with a B/League Cup team for the Sunderland game. Sturridge, Origi, Klavan, Moreno, Grujic etc.
Sunderland are going to beat you.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Sunderland are going to beat you.
He's talking about fielding a lesser team at Sunderland on January 2th because play City on December 31th in the late kick-off.

There's no way we're fielding a B team this weekend. And there's no way Sunderland wins at Anfield. But of course you were the guy going on about the fact that our win at the Bridge wasn't impressive because Chelsea drew with Swansea the week before so there's that.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
We're pretty great defensively for the most part, structurally worlds away from what we were used to under Rodgers. Matip is a big part of that. One of Tah, Sule or Van Dijk in the summer would be nice too. Massively telling that the games Klavan has looked weak in are the ones he's played with Lovren and Moreno. Think he'd be fine coming in next to Matip and Milner. Matips the leader of this defence and that makes it easier for the rest, but we'd struggle if we lost him or Milly, as important as it is to be tight as a unit the players needs to be of the requisite quality also.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
It's amazing how much we are (or I am) taking Clyne, Matip and Milner for granted. That's the strongest back three out of four we've had in just under ten years surely?

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
It's amazing how much we are (or I am) taking Clyne, Matip and Milner for granted. That's the strongest back three out of four we've had in just under ten years surely?
Carragher and Hyypia were a better pair of CB's than what we have now. I'm not sure there's much between Clyde and Finnan either.

Cassady

Supports
Accrington Stanley.
OptaJoe ‏@OptaJoe

You've only got to hear other managers saying how hard we are to play against.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Since we are on stat atack

• Southampton failed to register a single shot on target in a Premier League game for the first time since 28 December 2004.

Wooly Red

Supports
Liverpool
Since we are on stat atack

• Southampton failed to register a single shot on target in a Premier League game for the first time since 28 December 2004.
Well, they did set up pretty defensively. I hope Klopp and our team does better when other teams attempt similar tactics to nullify our attack. A few draws won't be so bad but we can't have too many of them!

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
OptaJoe ‏@OptaJoe

15 games. 30 in the league (12) and 10 in the cup (3).

Rafateria

Well, they did set up pretty defensively. I hope Klopp and our team does better when other teams attempt similar tactics to nullify our attack. A few draws won't be so bad but we can't have too many of them!
It isn't as if we didn't have the chances though, 5 very good ones, it wasn't about chance creation more about poor finishing due to, IMHO, lack of mental acuity and physical tiredness from the vast distances traveled to South America and Africa and with 3 games played in just a few days (8-10 ?) for Coutinho & Mane especially. On any given day we'd have put at least one, and probably more, of those away. I think that match was a bit of an anomaly in that regards.

montpelier

Ooh, they're cracking, :).

The Dancing Teapot is not happy with the Moüth of the Mersey leaving him out of the side and might be off to Southampton in January, apparently.

source: some crap or other on Twitter, might be in the Mirror...

Rafateria

Ooh, they're cracking, :).

The Dancing Teapot is not happy with the Moüth of the Mersey leaving him out of the side and might be off to Southampton in January, apparently.

source: some crap or other on Twitter, might be in the Mirror...
Twittercrap.
a) With Mane away until early Feb. we'd never let him leave and b) Sturridge to Southampton ? When he's got an outside chance of a PL winner's medal ? As if.

Cassady

Supports
Accrington Stanley.
It isn't as if we didn't have the chances though, 5 very good ones, it wasn't about chance creation more about poor finishing due to, IMHO, lack of mental acuity and physical tiredness from the vast distances traveled to South America and Africa and with 3 games played in just a few days (8-10 ?) for Coutinho & Mane especially. On any given day we'd have put at least one, and probably more, of those away. I think that match was a bit of an anomaly in that regards.

It was poor finishing that cost us.

The positive about this is that we don't have to worry about our finishing whatsover. United on the other hand do. We have scored three more than Chelsea and City. Five more than Arsenal and twelve more than Spurs. United are on par with Palace and Watford.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Twittercrap.
a) With Mane away until early Feb. we'd never let him leave and b) Sturridge to Southampton ? When he's got an outside chance of a PL winner's medal ? As if.
You can't just take, take, take all the time. In a healthy relationship you've got to give a little. :)

Why else will they give us Dick Van Dyke in the summer otherwise? ;)

Rafateria

It was poor finishing that cost us.

The positive about this is that we don't have to worry about our finishing whatsover. United on the other hand do. We have scored three more than Chelsea and City. Five more than Arsenal and twelve more than Spurs. United are on par with Palace and Watford.
Yes it was, but what was the reason for it ? IMO as I said above 'lack of mental acuity and physical tiredness from the vast distances traveled ....'. They didn't look sharp even when put through on goal - any of those three.

Rafateria

You can't just take, take, take all the time. In a healthy relationship you've got to give a little. :)

Why else will they give us Dick Van Dyke in the summer otherwise? ;)
Haha -maybe Redmond as well while we're at it (and return him to his true position of winger).