Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

Russell_eire

I can see what he was trying to do, circle the wagons and protect his player publicly, but I disagree that it has taken the player out of the media limelight, if anything it has made people pay even more attention; I even went and read the Daily Mail interview (what's the story with those ridiculous boyband-style photos BTW?) after reading Klopp's comments and I will end up paying far closer attention to Karius's performances, as will everyone else.

montpelier

I do tend to think that if Karius was Joe Hart / a top English prospect, this would be playing out quite a lot different.

Is Gnev harsher or is he just a bit better with the soundbites? Then cos of the clever soundbites, he gets rated as a pundit.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Klopp had some moments with reporters/pundits every now and then in Germany too. I think stupid, ignorant or arrogant questions really get under his skin, especially when he's already mad about something.
I can also see how Neville bothers him (sitting on a very high horse despite his Valencia fiasko, tends to exaggerate in his criticism), so I'm not so sure this is just a PR stunt.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
You are right. The topic is not even about Karius anymore, which is exactly what Klopp wants. With his statements Klopp did something he did several times in the past both with us and Mainz, he made himself into a lightning rod for his players. An underperforming keeper is a nice story, but a top manager having a go at a well known pundit and former world class player is an even juicier topic for the media to jump on.

Now, people will disagree with this method and some people will even take offense in what he said, but at least his player is now a bit out of the medial focus. This is how he treats his players, which show the necessary amount of commitment and effort: He shields them from the medial fire by nearly any means necessary. This ensures two things for him:

1. It builds trust between him and his players, creating an environment where they can improve without fear to make mistakes.

2. It motivates the maximum amount of effort and investment from the players, because his protection always comes with this price.
Your right, this is his intentions. No manager was better at this than Fergie. We've seen it all before a hundred times in the past.

The thing is, we've also seen it backfire on plenty of other managers who tried it but didn't have the cunning in their choice of words like SAF did.

I'm not convinced Klopp does either. Time will tell.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Your right, this is his intentions. No manager was better at this than Fergie. We've seen it all before a hundred times in the past.

The thing is, we've also seen it backfire on plenty of other managers who tried it but didn't have the cunning in their choice of words like SAF did.

I'm not convinced Klopp does either. Time will tell.
I think if someone can play the fans/media/public like a fiddle it's Klopp. That front should be the least of Liverpool's problems.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Klopp "I don't listen to them"

Except you clearly do :lol:

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I can see what he was trying to do, circle the wagons and protect his player publicly, but I disagree that it has taken the player out of the media limelight, if anything it has made people pay even more attention; I even went and read the Daily Mail interview (what's the story with those ridiculous boyband-style photos BTW?) after reading Klopp's comments and I will end up paying far closer attention to Karius's performances, as will everyone else.
I agree. All eyes will be on Karius at Boro now. We're already in the middle of a slight dip in form and this hasn't helped.

Thisistheone

You are right. The topic is not even about Karius anymore, which is exactly what Klopp wants.
See I think its the opposite. Everyone will have the microscope out on Karius now that Klopp has blown the issue up even more. Imagine Karius makes another error mid-week...

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
I think if someone can play the fans/media/public like a fiddle it's Klopp. That front should be the least of Liverpool's problems.
I'm not so sure to be honest. We've seen the best and Klopp cant hold a candle to him, never mind a fiddle.

Rafateria

I'm curious will FA investigate that punch Mane throw at Caroll?

They really looked quite tired in the last 20 minutes.
That would be the last 20 mins when we ran West ham so ragged they were on the ropes and had FIVE players collapse to the turf at the final whistle ? Must be then.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
True.. More focus on Karius now. Of course Klopp knows, that Karius hasn't performed very well. It is there for all to see. No point denying that or getting in a infight over it.

Rafateria

I don't think it's that. Our shape with Origi up top and Firmino out wide has had a negative impact on our offensive play. We're scoring goals but it doesn't look anywhere near as fluid.

The couple of injuries to first team players shows how weak our squad is.
Exactly that. I don't understand why Klopp has pushed Firmino wide the last couple of games when he is clearly at his best in the centre and when Origi was near unplayable towards the end of last season, prior to his injury, when played wide left.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
You are right. The topic is not even about Karius anymore, which is exactly what Klopp wants. With his statements Klopp did something he did several times in the past both with us and Mainz, he made himself into a lightning rod for his players. An underperforming keeper is a nice story, but a top manager having a go at a well known pundit and former world class player is an even juicier topic for the media to jump on.

Now, people will disagree with this method and some people will even take offense in what he said, but at least his player is now a bit out of the medial focus. This is how he treats his players, which show the necessary amount of commitment and effort: He shields them from the medial fire by nearly any means necessary. This ensures two things for him:

1. It builds trust between him and his players, creating an environment where they can improve without fear to make mistakes.

2. It motivates the maximum amount of effort and investment from the players, because his protection always comes with this price.
hahaha, the rationalization. Just replace Klopp with Mourinho there and the apologists of Klopp will be going on about how grumpy Mourinho is, how small time it sounds and how it will affect the team badly due to bad publicity.

Last edited:

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
Every keeper in the history of the game makes mistakes. Karius is young and seems to be making more than his fair share at the moment. Only time will tell if he improves sufficiently to merit being Liverpool's goalkeeper. As for G Neville his hatred of Liverpool is well known. His ability to be a pundit is also compromised by his failure as a manager. Klopp might have been wiser not to make any comment but he has now and so a media circus will begin.

Minimalist

Definitely think Klopp has every right to hit back at pundits who couldn't lace his managerial boots - many other managers do exactly the same.

Not really buying the 'he's rattled/got him' narrative either.

montpelier

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Definitely think Klopp has every right to hit back at pundits who couldn't lace his managerial boots - many other managers do exactly the same.

Not really buying the 'he's rattled/got him' narrative either.
By same logic, Klopp the player wasn't good enough to even clean the dirt of GNev's shoes so he shouldn't be telling him how players feel after criticism. A guy who played at a 2nd division club shouldn't be telling about that to someone who played for two decades at very top level and was very successful at it while being under constant scrutiny.

Minimalist

By same logic, Klopp the player wasn't good enough to even clean the dirt of GNev's shoes so he shouldn't be telling him how players feel after criticism. A guy who played at a 2nd division club shouldn't be telling about that to someone who played for two decades at very top level and was very successful at it while being under constant scrutiny.
You're applying zero of that pal.

What's their playing careers got to do with judging players and managing them?

GBBQ

Doesn't he lose any moral high ground by judging Neville's managerial career?

Karius is getting the same treatment De Gea received from the media, DDG took it on the chin and improved. Karius should use it to motivate himself to improve also.

mav_9me

Yep. SAF did the same all his career. Ultimately if his team keeps winning, Klopp comes out on top like SAF. Infact I would say every manager tries it. Diff is they don't keep winning like SAF did.

Moby

Dick
Love Klopp, be great to have him here one day.
He needs to grow from a coach to a manager. It was one thing managing an underdog team like Dortmund and taking them to league wins and a CL final but it's a whole different story taking a job like United or the other big clubs where the challenges are ten-fold. He's only had one short great spell with Dortmund so far which he couldn't sustain once the world saw through his tactics and he hasn't done anything with Liverpool so far of note - so he needs to prove himself before he can start thinking of being appointed at the top clubs.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
It does the exact opposite. An emotional outburst when a carefully thought-out deflection was called for. He'll be kicking himself (and gurning, presumably).
Yup it is strange to see people keep talking about how Klopp is just trying to make this about himself. The only thing that will help Karius is his on field performances,do well on the pitch and make the pundits eat their words.

Ban

Its a bit embarrassing. He could have saod he doesnt agree with Nev but instead he went all personal on him spesking of his managerial stint at Valencia and how he cant judge players.
Proper mini rant.

Shark

@NotShark
Doesn't he lose any moral high ground by judging Neville's managerial career?

Karius is getting the same treatment De Gea received from the media, DDG took it on the chin and improved. Karius should use it to motivate himself to improve also.
Comparing Karius to Dea Gea is retarded though. De Gea was essentially a kid when he arrived. Jamie Redknapp is a fecking moron.

Sylar

I dont get why some on here are saying Nevilles ability as a pundit is compromised cos of his failure as a manager.
Pundits more or less give an opinion of what they think will happen based on previous games and then try and break down what happened in a match.
Thats different to a manager who has to come up with solutions and prevention. One is not directly linked to another.

Neville is a good pundit, but I dont think hes a good commentator and didnt cover himself in glory as a manager (no matter the circumstances).

The one thing I do agree about is G,Neville doesnt use the same criteria for everybody when judging them and gives more leeway to his friends / english players. He would never call Stones a playstation controlled player. As bad as the Fellaini penalty giveaway against Everton was, would he use the same adjectives to describe Rooney or Carrick if they made the same mistake (heck Rooneys performances of the last three years have warranted it but hes been blessed with Silent Domination).

I agree. Karius made a mistake (or two) at Bournemouth which lead to goals. Two of Bournemouths goals could have been prevented. And then against WHU he hasnt done anything to show signs of improvement or actually learning. One game turnaround is harsh to judge him on, but now Klopp reacted brings even more attention to Karius especially if his next big mistake is within the next game or two.

The funny thing is Klopp talks about their comments (whether it was on TV or twitter) than says he doesnt listen to the comments.