g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Klopp has every right to criticise Neville but this is below the belt because he is basically questioning Nev's professionalism. Embarrassing quotes but he is perfect for Liverpool because their fans will lap any shit up

Thisistheone

Hopefully so. Pretty unnecessary and cnutish dig at Neville either way. No surprises there though, every manager that manages Liverpool always ends up coming out with drivel before too long.
Managers, players, everyone associated with the club turns a bit mad after a while. Must be something in the water.

RORY65

Klopp has every right to criticise Neville but this is below the belt because he is basically questioning Nev's professionalism. Embarrassing quotes but he is perfect for Liverpool because their fans will lap any shit up
Yeah, our manager would imply that ex-Liverpool player pundits were biased and too prevalent.

redNATION

I'm all for players/managers calling out these "pundits" for talking shit. Not going to have double standards just because it's the neville brothers vs Klopp.
Me same. I've made my feelings clear on the modern game before - there's far too many 'talking heads' all wanting a say on something. I dont even watch pre and post game analysis (or even HT), just the 90 minutes of game time. Most of these 'pundits' are just trying to become celebrities, and get in the news, much like airheads on 'reality TV' taking their clothes off or acting like idiots. I think Klopp's right to call them out, just like Jose was right to call Redknapp out on his 'footballing genius' comment.

ZAGREB RED

Maybe Gary Neville doesn't like Liverpool as a personal choice, but when he is on Sky he is pretty impartial I think, he will praise Liverpool and criticize United where required. Don't think him or Phil could be accused of bias in their TV work. Gary usually provides some good insight into the tactical side of the game.

Thisistheone

I'm all for players/managers calling out these "pundits" for talking shit. Not going to have double standards just because it's the neville brothers vs Klopp.
Thing is, Neville wasn't talking shit was he? Karius has been very poor and cost them points.

Zoo

Klopp has a point but he really shouldn't have responded like this, there are enough people willing to challenge Neville and Carragher's view on Karius: Redknapp and Shearer on TV yesterday, Hamann on twitter etc.

RORY65

None of you have addressed my comment about Gary's habit of rudeness, rather than proper criticism.
I'm not sure I've noted many, if any, examples of him being rude. But then I also watch Irish TV where it's basically a rule that every sport has to have a grumpy, slightly mad old man as a pundit who slags off everyone, so it's difficult to think much of what Neville says.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Thing is, Neville wasn't talking shit was he? Karius has been very poor and cost them points.
Exactly. But it's the way in which he criticises that's significant, and the contrast between his use of words like 'pathetic', 'diabolical', 'Playstation player' describing foreign players compared to his softball approach to British pros that undermines his credibility. He's often plain rude - which is unprofessional - and revels in being plain-speaking when there are few repercussions.

Abizzz

Bizarre to use Ian Wright as an example of someone talking about tactics, I like him for his energy and passion but he basically just narrates what's happening on the screen with no analysis at all. If anything, he's the pundit who gives the least in-depth critiques of anyone on TV. Neville's credibility was compromised by being an England coach meaning he had a closer relationship with the England players which meant he failed to criticise them properly but he's generally always been very critical of goalkeepers. Keane and Carragher are the same actually, maybe partially because it's the position they can probably relate to the least, but they do seem to just expect a goalkeeper to save shots and not make errors, it's not something they think they necessarily deserve praise for doing. Let's be fair as well, City and Liverpool's new keepers have been crap so far (plenty of time to improve obviously).

It's amusing seeing people on here slagging off Klopp when the Neville thread on here is bumped weekly now, for what reason I'm not sure. There's some odd notion that he's almost biased against us, which just isn't true, whilst his punditry maybe hasn't been as good since he returned to Sky but him and Carragher are still way better than essentially everyone else on UK TV and they're both willing to actually analyse things and give an opinion, rather than the blandness of the BBC's coverage or the nonsense on BT's Premier League stuff.
I've been impressed by Wright's commentary and appreciate his thoughts on what's happening on the screen. To me that is the analysis and anything beyond what is happening on the screen is speculation. Maybe we just differ fundamentally in what we expect from a pundit (which is ok, if that sounds disrespectful towards your expectations it's not meant to be).

I don't think Neville is biased against United. I do believe (and as you said for a good reason) that he is biased towards his friends. All said and done I think Gary gets a lot of stick because the things he says aren't appreciated by the majority of those listening.

RedCurry

These are my opinions on wide variety of topics on this thread:

Karius: seems like he could potentially have potential but he somewhere deep down inside idolizes Neuer and wants to be like him. But he doesn't have the physicality and distribution to match. He should just keep it simple and he can have a successful career.

Klopp on Gary: Klopp took Dortmund to relgation zone midway through the season just like Gary Neville. Only difference is the Klopp didn't get fired midway through the season.

Gary Neville: Should just not respond anymore. He got under Klopp's skin. Leave it lingering.

cyberman

Me same. I've made my feelings clear on the modern game before - there's far too many 'talking heads' all wanting a say on something. I dont even watch pre and post game analysis (or even HT), just the 90 minutes of game time. Most of these 'pundits' are just trying to become celebrities, and get in the news, much like airheads on 'reality TV' taking their clothes off or acting like idiots. I think Klopp's right to call them out, just like Jose was right to call Redknapp out on his 'footballing genius' comment.
Call Gary out on what? Is Gary wrong in what he said?
Redknapp was a different story, he was pulling stats out of thin air and arguing based on tactics. That's when managers can bite back.
This isn't the same situation. Karius isn't making howler after howler based on tactics and he is getting lambasted for it.
As he should. He's the goalkeeper for one of the favourites for the title and he is the reason they are 7 points behind Chelsea.

SteveTheRed

Exactly. But it's the way in which he criticises that's significant, and the contrast between his use of words like 'pathetic', 'diabolical', 'Playstation player' describing foreign players compared to his softball approach to British pros that undermines his credibility.
I don't think he is being rude, it just pisses me off that he has always been soft on his criticism of English player, mainly due to his affiliation with the England squad.

I think fans like Neville being a pundit because of the words he uses to criticise these players, just a shame it is not aimed at everyone deserving of it.

RORY65

I've been impressed by Wright's commentary and appreciate his thoughts on what's happening on the screen. To me that is the analysis and anything beyond what is happening on the screen is speculation. Maybe we just differ fundamentally in what we expect from a pundit (which is ok, if that sounds disrespectful towards your expectations it's not meant to be).

I don't think Neville is biased against United. I do believe (and as you said for a good reason) that he is biased towards his friends. All said and done I think Gary gets a lot of stick because the things he says aren't appreciated by the majority of those listening.
Not disrespectful at all, I'm glad you like his punditry :) (as I said, I am a fan too). I agree about him having biases, in fairness we all do but he didn't help his by having a job where he worked with some players, but I think he's generally one of the best pundits. He seems to get a lot of stick on here now which I just find a bit odd.

I also think it's OK for Klopp to criticise the press but do think it's a bit poor to question Neville's integrity in whether he can judge Liverpool reasonably. That being said, Mourinho and Ferguson have both also done that before.

Boycott

Journalists have to stop hiding behind pundits words.

It's really lazy and a mis-service if after 90 minutes of watching football from a cushy press box, you can't think of a question or a way to communicate without referencing what a bloke of the telly said. Pundits aren't there to provide weight to the journalists questions, their role is to provide some insight to the watching public.

cyberman

Also, what has Gary actually said? His Karius comments are from last week aren't they? It's a bit strange to bring them up now as if they're relevant to the shitshow from yesterday

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
This is all moot because: can you imagine Gary Neville being silent and dignified if his football performances were being slagged off by former PL goalkeeper-turned-pundit Loris Karius? After all, 'expert' Karius played in front of defenders all his career, so he must know what he's talking about...mustn't he? ;)

redNATION

Call Gary out on what? Is Gary wrong in what he said?
Redknapp was a different story, he was pulling stats out of thin air and arguing based on tactics. That's when managers can bite back.
This isn't the same situation. Karius isn't making howler after howler based on tactics and he is getting lambasted for it.
As he should. He's the goalkeeper for one of the favourites for the title and he is the reason they are 7 points behind Chelsea.
Nah, Neville's lack of objectivity comes back to bite him each time. He has never criticised an English player in the same manner; Rooney and Hart have been diabolical at times, where was the scathing criticism? If you're not going to be fair and objective you have no business calling yourself an impartial pundit. Where's the equivalent attack on John Stones, who, as you say with Karious, cost his team points? I think Klopp is right to feel that Neville's going over the top with his player, but certainly not his own mates.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Klopp has a point but he really shouldn't have responded like this, there are enough people willing to challenge Neville and Carragher's view on Karius: Redknapp and Shearer on TV yesterday, Hamann on twitter etc.
Shearer was spouting a load of rubbish in defence of Karius last night, blaming the back line for not offering the keeper enough protection. The thing about that is that Karius hasn't had to face that many shots but when he has, he's been a let down.

Thisistheone

Exactly. But it's the way in which he criticises that's significant, and the contrast between his use of words like 'pathetic', 'diabolical', 'Playstation player' describing foreign players compared to his softball approach to British pros that undermines his credibility.
Take your point on that. Neville can be bias to British players (e.g. Joe Hart) but still think Klopp has got this one wrong. Neville is still doing his job and his opinion on Karius has nothing to do with how he delivered as a manager, the club he supports, the fact Neville has actually won 8 PL titles or anything else.

Klopp has just increased the focus and pressure on his struggling keeper. And lost a bit of his 'coolness' in the process.

LFC-Fans

Supports
Liverpool
Lol. Klopp. hilarious.

I have to say... its is funny how G Nev can come back to a pundit role after the debacle of a managerial stint he had. Now suddenly we have to listen on Sky his "expert" analysis on football matches, how teams should have defended a certain goal, or how teams should have pressed higher.

and even though Karius has been awful Klopp has to stick by his guy, he knows hes been bad. But he cant say that to the media.

cyberman

Nah, Neville's lack of objectivity comes back to bite him each time. He has never criticised an English player in the same manner; Rooney and Hart have been diabolical at times, where was the scathing criticism? If you're not going to be fair and objective you have no business calling yourself an impartial pundit. Where's the equivalent attack on John Stones, who, as you say with Karious, cost his team points? I think Klopp is right to feel that Neville's going over the top with his player, but certainly not his own mates.
Klopp defending Karius isn't the story here though, it's Klopp setting rules about not being allowed to criticise a Liverpool player because of who he played for that's ridiculous.

Shark

@NotShark
Lol. Klopp. hilarious.

I have to say... its is funny how G Nev can come back to a pundit role after the debacle of a managerial stint he had. Now suddenly we have to listen on Sky his "expert" analysis on football matches, how teams should have defended a certain goal, or how teams should have pressed higher.

and even though Karius has been awful Klopp has to stick by his guy, he knows hes been bad. But he cant say that to the media.
Klopp had a similar season with Dortmund though. Mourinho had one with Chelsea. It doesn't mean that Neville, a legend for one of the biggest clubs in the world, should be banned from having an opinion as a pundit. I'm glad he got under Klopp' skin though, long may it continue.

Thisistheone

Lol. Klopp. hilarious.

Ignoring the extremely difficult circumstances (doomed to fail from the beginning) in which Neville took on at Valencia, a pundits opinion shouldn't have anything to do with how he did as a manager. Otherwise there'd be no pundits good enough, except Sir Alex if he wanted the gig.

Klopp himself has been (still is?) a pundit. When he got relegated with Mainz, did that make his opinion irrelevant?

Fact is, Klopp has got this one wrong. And its not helping Karius.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Lol. Klopp. hilarious.

It's funny because you have to watch Neville as an expert analyst on TV on the back of a career where he spent years being one of the world's best fullbacks winning nearly every trophy in site (usually numerous times). So there's that.

redNATION

Klopp defending Karius isn't the story here though, it's Klopp setting rules about not being allowed to criticise a Liverpool player because of who he played for that's ridiculous.
In your post you asked, "Call Gary out on what? Is Gary wrong in what he said?" My point is that, yes, he is indeed wrong because unless he's willing to be scathing to every player equally, regardless whether their English or not, he has no business being so arbitrary and choosing when to be so. I don't think the point about Klopp setting 'rules' about criticism was actually addressed in your post, but your right, that point by Klopp is absurd.

montpelier

If this is Jurgen trying to deflect criticism of his player, I say let him carry on, doing a tremendous job so far, :D.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
You are right. The topic is not even about Karius anymore, which is exactly what Klopp wants. With his statements Klopp did something he did several times in the past both with us and Mainz, he made himself into a lightning rod for his players. An underperforming keeper is a nice story, but a top manager having a go at a well known pundit and former world class player is an even juicier topic for the media to jump on.

Now, people will disagree with this method and some people will even take offense in what he said, but at least his player is now a bit out of the medial focus. This is how he treats his players, which show the necessary amount of commitment and effort: He shields them from the medial fire by nearly any means necessary. This ensures two things for him:

1. It builds trust between him and his players, creating an environment where they can improve without fear to make mistakes.

2. It motivates the maximum amount of effort and investment from the players, because his protection always comes with this price.

Crimson King

Exactly. But it's the way in which he criticises that's significant, and the contrast between his use of words like 'pathetic', 'diabolical', 'Playstation player' describing foreign players compared to his softball approach to British pros that undermines his credibility. He's often plain rude - which is unprofessional - and revels in being plain-speaking when there are few repercussions.
I hear what you're saying, but I can only assume that his role as an England coach caused him to hold back in that respect. It's easier to publicly shit all over a bunch of people you don't know than your chums. It's not right though obviously, and hopefully he'll start dishing it out more now, but I won't hold my breath.