Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

Adebesi

There's definite revisionism going on and he's probably a decent bloke and a great coach, but he definitely annoys me to feck when gurning and raving like an absolute fool on the touchlines, and with some of the crap he comes out with in press conferences/interviews. He definitely gets a bit of a free pass too where the press is concerned.
Maybe. I miss a lot of what goes on with Liverpool. I wouldnt hold what the press do against him tho, he's a character and the press love a character, until they dont. It was the same for Mourinho earlier in his career. Maybe in a few years time things will change for Klopp as well. All I can say really is that he comes across as authentic and passionate in a world that is ridiculously stage managed and sanitised, in general, and I like him for it. But yeah, as far as the football goes, pretty damning statistics showing his lack of improvement over Rodgers, if I was completely wrong for wanting Klopp as manager 5+ years ago, that would be the reason, not his behaviour on the touchline.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Maybe. I miss a lot of what goes on with Liverpool. I wouldnt hold what the press do against him tho, he's a character and the press love a character, until they dont. It was the same for Mourinho earlier in his career. Maybe in a few years time things will change for Klopp as well. All I can say really is that he comes across as authentic and passionate in a world that is ridiculously stage managed and sanitised, in general, and I like him for it. But yeah, as far as the football goes, pretty damning statistics showing his lack of improvement over Rodgers, if I was completely wrong for wanting Klopp as manager 5+ years ago, that would be the reason, not his behaviour on the touchline.
I think it's the odd comment that annoys people on here. He's been guilty of excuse making like his comment about us playing Seville in the Europa League final, whilst United 'only' played Ajax.

I agree that some of the comments about him are a bit OTT. Sometimes him just standing there is enough to set people off.

SER19

There's definite revisionism going on and he's probably a decent bloke and a great coach, but he definitely annoys me to feck when gurning and raving like an absolute fool on the touchlines, and with some of the crap he comes out with in press conferences/interviews. He definitely gets a bit of a free pass too where the press is concerned.
And where officials are concerned. Klopp like most Liverpool managers, biggest problem for united fans, is his willingness to succumb to that paranoid Liverpool mindset. He probably was a decent guy, but he's been a tedious, tin hat wearing nut job since he joined Liverpool

Adebesi

I think it's the odd comment that annoys people on here. He's been guilty of excuse making like his comment about us playing Seville in the Europa League final, whilst United 'only' played Ajax.

I agree that some of the comments about him are a bit OTT. Sometimes him just standing there is enough to set people off.
Yeah that was pretty silly. But that's the thing about not being stage managed, youll come out with some things that dont stand up to scrutiny.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Sensible post, the problem is the rivalry gets in the way and it's probably similar on Liverpool forums against Mourinho.
Most things Klopp does on here wouldn't even get discussed if he were still at Dortmund or even another Premier League team. Whereas every little thing no matter how petty (and a lot are petty) get highlighted.
That said the rivalry between us I guess we aren't 'supposed' to like each other's manager's.

What is odd is people who judge other people they do not really know or have never met.

Last edited:

Adebesi

Sensible post, the problem is the rivalry gets in the way and it's probably similar on Liverpool forums against Mourinho.
Most things Klopp does on here wouldn't even get discussed if he were still at Dortmund or even another Premier League team. Whereas every little thing no matter how petty (and a lot are petty) get highlighted.
That said the rivalry between us I guess we aren't 'supposed' to like each other's manager's.

What is odd is people who judge other people they do not really know or have ever met.
Interesting observation. Dont Liverpool and Mourinho have a bit of history that goes back even before he became our manager? So Im not sure the two are quite the same - though in general I think youre right, you arent ever going to like our managers, and we wont ever like yours. I guess I just make the distinction that a lot of it seems to be quite personal, whereas I dont have any issue with him personally, I just dont want Liverpool to do well.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

What is odd is people who judge other people they do not really know or have never met.
Maybe because many here don't follow German press conferences and only English? Why would anyone care what some random team manager talks? Surely it's not difficult to understand why what is said by Liverpool manager will be discussed on ManUtd forum rather than Dortmund manager which many wouldn't even watch or read?

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Interesting observation. Dont Liverpool and Mourinho have a bit of history that goes back even before he became our manager? So Im not sure the two are quite the same - though in general I think youre right, you arent ever going to like our managers, and we wont ever like yours. I guess I just make the distinction that a lot of it seems to be quite personal, whereas I dont have any issue with him personally, I just dont want Liverpool to do well.
I don't think there is any history it's just they are Liverpool and United managers so how the rival fans view them is obviously going to differ.
You are spot on about the personal bit but I am not sure you are in the majority!

Last edited:

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Maybe because many here don't follow German press conferences and only English? Why would anyone care what some random team manager talks? Surely it's not difficult to understand why what is said by Liverpool manager will be discussed on ManUtd forum rather than Dortmund manager which many wouldn't even watch or read?
Dortmund was maybe a bad example, if he wasn't manager at Liverpool but another English club his comments and behaviour wouldn't get the same attention.
But as I also said part of that is down to the rivalry.

kotha

I wish more managers walked out when press asks them stupid questions.. We have had multiple pressers when there were so many things to ask, but the press would just ask about Rooney..

The question to Klopp from Sky journo was abysmal.. One can understand why he got irritated with it.. The managers need to hold the journos to a higher standard.. Only then they will start asking the wuestions the fans want to know.. Instead of asking the same repeated topics..

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
I wish more managers walked out when press asks them stupid questions.. We have had multiple pressers when there were so many things to ask, but the press would just ask about Rooney..

The question to Klopp from Sky journo was abysmal.. One can understand why he got irritated with it.. The managers need to hold the journos to a higher standard.. Only then they will start asking the wuestions the fans want to know.. Instead of asking the same repeated topics..
I agree, I know Coutinho was a hot topic in the summer but Klopp gets asked about him every time, it gets silly.

Djemba-Djemba

Dortmund was maybe a bad example, if he wasn't manager at Liverpool but another English club his comments and behaviour wouldn't get the same attention.
If a rival manager was still moaning about a marginal offside call 7 or 8 months later then yeah I think we'd find him annoying no matter who he was managing.

montpelier

Oh come on, he's constantly being a dick on the sideline - and quite often in quite a contrived way.

lysglimt

Scout
I can't stand the guy - and it hasn't even got anything to do with him being in charge of Liverpool. Always yelling, screaming and complaining to the referee or 4th officials - and then he acts like such a nice guy inbetween matches.

TheReligion

Abusive
I can't stand the guy - and it hasn't even got anything to do with him being in charge of Liverpool. Always yelling, screaming and complaining to the referee or 4th officials - and then he acts like such a nice guy inbetween matches.
I don't even think he acts that nice in between matches anymore. He's a bit of a pompous cnut.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It has little to do with the rivalry, Conte acts like a dickhead too at times on the sidelines and he gets criticized too on the caf. Klopp is an attention seeking media whore.

tomaldinho1

I watched the presser just now and it wasnt how I imagined it. He didnt storm out, it was the last question anyway but even so he remained seated. He was irked by the question, but it was a stupid question. And he didnt lose his shit at all. (I dont think the journalist had an agenda to stir up any homophobic sentiment or anything like that tho. It was just a stupid question.)

I must say I cant get on with all this revisionism about Klopp. Clearly he isnt doing as well in the football sense as his reputation suggested he should. But as a character, as a person, I cant dislike the guy. I want him to fail because I want Liverpool to fail but I have nothing against him personally and I dont really see where all these people calling him a dick are coming from. I dont want the FA treating Mourinho unfairly but that does not mean they should punish Klopp for showing some passion on the touchline.
I agree with most of your post but for me the dislike stems from the fact I genuinely had high hopes for him. I really dislike LPool but when he arrived he seemed very straight talking, charismatic and honest bloke and I was jealous that Man Utd hadn't managed to lure him (if we were ever in for him). Fast forward and he's fallen into the shit pit of PL management with ridiculous excuse after excuse, bringing up offside goals weeks after they happen and generally griping and moaning to an embarrassing degree.

It is a high pressure job and the press are cnuts but I can't help but feel he could have been so much more - a conflicting thought for a Man Utd fan because I'm quite happy that they're a bit of a shambles at the moment.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Thing is, having watched a few of Liverpool's matches during this run, there's no way that even half of those chances were clear cut or even taken in the box. I think Klopp is one of the few major managers in the game who prefers his team to take as many shots as possible rather than focusing on creating more clearer cut chances. Obviously with someone like Coutinho in the team it's always worth encouraging long shots, and maybe the lack of height/presence in the box means they can't rely on clear cut chances being created in the same manner Utd (Lukaku), Spurs (Kane), City (Aguero, Jesus) can but looking at this stat in regards to the way Liverpool play as a whole - in particular their defence - it appears so much of their game is invested in their players' own ability, risk and - to a certain extent - chaos. This is best amplified in the total lack of cohesion between their attack and defence; their front line offers practically no defensive cover once the ball is in their own half, and the numbers with which they break will always leave them open to a counter-attack.

They play such an open game that half the time I genuinely believe that Klopp is attempting to nullify the very concept of tactics for both teams on the pitch, in the hope that his players - in this instance - simply prove to be of a better quality. I don't think this is sustainable, nor will it lead to any longstanding success despite being entertaining in its immediacy.