Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
The only teams that would want to play Liverpool in their current form would be a teams that have a death wish.
Undoubtedly, Liverpool's defense is their Achille'ss heel, however they are capable of putting you to the sword before you even get a chance at going at their flaky defense.
:lol:

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
The only teams that would want to play Liverpool in their current form would be a teams that have a death wish.
Undoubtedly, Liverpool's defense is their Achille'ss heel, however they are capable of putting you to the sword before you even get a chance at going at their flaky defense.
Agree Liverpool can beat any team. I hope they Madrid or Bayern, so they can show the world, this is their year.

haram

Did you see some of Spartak's defending :lol:

Liverpool are no threat. Imagine them trying to manage an away game in the knockouts :lol:

Add the fact that everyone will score against them at Anfield anyway :lol: they were lucky Pogba was out for our game

Uche

Supports
Scunthorpe
Agree Liverpool can beat any team. I hope they Madrid or Bayern, so they can show the world, this is their year.
i If I had the time I would go to the Bayern forum and see what their fans think about possibly playing Liverpool. My guess would be that a large proportion would wish to avoid Liverpool in the next round.
As for Real, their fans ALWAYS believe they are by far and away the best thing since sliced bread.They will never openly admit to not wanting to face anyone.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Depends if your attackers are Ronaldo/Messi or some just good players. Both are God like players, so for teams with these 2 players it's obvious attack wins everything but then there are teams like Atletico which made finals with defence first mentality and were second away from winning CL and also penalties away from winning it again.

For a regular teams there should be proper balance, it won't apply for Madrid and Barca as they have 2 of the best players.
Good point to be fair.

Liverpool's attacking prowess is more of a team effort and thanks to Klopp rather than their individuals. The individuals are good, but they are not Ronaldo or Messi or Neymar.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
i If I had the time I would go to the Bayern forum and see what their fans think about possibly playing Liverpool. My guess would be that a large proportion would wish to avoid Liverpool in the next round.
As for Real, their fans ALWAYS believe they are by far and away the best thing since sliced bread.They will never openly admit to not wanting to face anyone.
The team that handled players like Mbappe, Cavani, Neymar and won 3-1 won't be afraid of facing Liverpool. Obviously they would prefer easier options (depends, some fans wants bigger teams) and there are weaker teams than Liverpool in the CL.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Where have you been the last 4 year when Madrid won 3 CL titles with a shaky defence? Madrid and Barca have dominated Europe with their attack.
Madrid is sort of exceptions to the rule, in that their attack has been simply so devastating that you can't stop them from scoring and if you try to move up and score, they will punish it. They have an absolutely ridiculous attack and midfield though.

Barca I would say had a very solid defence to go with their attack. But common for both is that they had generational frontlines.

Generally though, and especially for those teams who perform better than might be expected on paper, a strong backline is what gets you deep into the competition. Even the one time Arsenal made the final, they did so by being uncharacteristically strong at the back.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
So, essentially, what you're saying is...

They. Are. Worried.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Madrid is sort of exceptions to the rule, in that their attack has been simply so devastating that you can't stop them from scoring and if you try to move up and score, they will punish it. They have an absolutely ridiculous attack and midfield though.

Barca I would say had a very solid defence to go with their attack. But common for both is that they had generational frontlines.

Generally though, and especially for those teams who perform better than might be expected on paper, a strong backline is what gets you deep into the competition. Even the one time Arsenal made the final, they did so by being uncharacteristically strong at the back.
I agree with this, people giving Barca and Madrid as examples are obviously missing the point. They have 2 of the best ever players. Also in Madrid case, team that relied on defence was second away from winning it and next time they were penalties away from winning it.

Treble

The important thing is the balance between defence and attack. If the defence is good because the team plays too cautiously, it won't do. One needs luck too. Even the best have been lucky at crucial moments.

Ban

I've seen all this already, hype, talk about how good they are before the inevitable few bad results.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
If the defence is good because the team plays too cautiously, it won't do.
On average, I think it works a lot better in cup competitions than having a good attack at the expense of defence.

Teams like Atletico, and to a lesser extent juventus, have gotten a lot of mileage out of being overly cautious in recent years. Don't think Atletico would have made it anywhere near as far, if they had more balance between defence and attack. They much prefer when it is the opposition that comes out to play and it works well for them when they aren't playing Real Madrid.

IronCroos37

I know Klopp is hated on this forum, but I wonder how our club would have been under him, with better players, more money, time to built his team aka Dortmund, less fear that he will loose certain players aka Kagawa, Goetze, Lewa, etc etc. and better defenders all around.

Treble

I know Klopp is hated on this forum, but I wonder how our club would have been under him, with better players, more money, time to built his team aka Dortmund, less fear that he will loose certain players aka Kagawa, Goetze, Lewa, etc etc. and better defenders all around.
Same here. Personally I'm not ashamed to admit that I'd have liked the lunatic, guess he'd be more successful than at Liverpool. Most top reds would have loved him, pretty sure about that.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I see your point that it's mostly the same group of players as last year but you know how much football can change in a short amount of time.

You've gone from not losing a single game to the the rest of the top 6 last season, to already having been thrashed twice and only winning 1 out of 5 so far.
Let's go down that particular rabbit hole:
Last season:
@ spurs 1-1
@ city 1-1
Home vs arsenal 3-1
Home vs United 0-0
Home vs Chelsea 1-1

This season:
@ spurs 1-4
@ city 0-5
Home vs arsenal 4-0
Home vs united 0-0
Home vs Chelsea 1-1

So, they were better against arsenal this year than last year, they were actually better against united this year than last year, Chelsea missed a penalty to win it late in the game last year but overall both games were pretty even(in fact liverpool probably looked better last year)

They lost badly to city after Mane was sent off -last year they were quite lucky to escape with a draw as well, and the game wasn't much different than what happened this year 11vs11

Spurs away is the only game where there was a big difference in their performance compared to last year, if we exclude what happened after Mane's red card(which effectively killed the game)

Their record from last season was mostly true to their performances, but also quite lucky. They consistently got the breaks in games were they were being outplayed(OT, Etihad) and never got suffered too much from the breaks that went against them in games were they deserved points(Chelsea penalty, Arsenal coming back from 1-4 and putting up real pressure late...)

So while they were the best team overall in matches against the top 6, they were quite lucky to go undefeated in those games

What happened so far this season is a regression to the mean -they no longer got the breaks in their favour

Where have you been the last 4 year when Madrid won 3 CL titles with a shaky defence? Madrid and Barca have dominated Europe with their attack.
Historically great attacks. Barcelona had 3 of the 4 best players in the world in 2015. Last season, we scored in every game we played. In 2014 we actually had great balance. Dortmund aside, no one else truly troubled our defence in the KO stages, and we played Bayern in the SF.
In 2016 we were just extremely lucky

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
How Liverpool are performing now is no different to how they have been the previous years since Klopp has joined, so I don't expect the results in the long term to be any different unless he improves some clear deficiencies in the team. They maybe can cause an upset in the early knockout stages by I feel a tactically strong team will be able to break them down and defeat them.

What I'm failing to understand is Klopp's complete disregard to buying a DM. Sven Bender was very important to their success and I can't think of a reason why he isn't putting more emphasis on buying a similar player. I understand Lucas was there initially but it was clear his ability was not on the level required, yet his focus was on Salah, VVD and Keita when I think a DM is just as vital.

As good a player as Keita is, his is in no way a DM and will not solve their defensive issues. I can understand playing without a natural DM when you play deep mostly and rely on counter attacking, but when your gameplan involves attacking with numbers you need a competent DM to always be there to protect the center backs (as the full backs can also be caught up front). Keita is going to replace either of Can/Wijnaldum as the box to box midfielder but they still lack someone behind. Henderson currently plays that role but if Liverpool have any title aspirations they should be aiming higher than him.

You can see what Klopp is building, no one should've expected him to win any titles immediately with this squad and the growth he has achieved already (two finals, 4th place last season) is already admirable. He has done well to qualify for the UCL, better the strength of the squad by signing Alex Oxlade and improving his midfield with Keita. He is also doing the right thing by targeting a CB but I am worried, for him, that there doesn't seem to be any rumour about a DM being targeted, which I also think is vital for this team.

IRELANDUNITED

Still not concerned about them in the slightest, they can twat all the Russian fishermen they want but with that back 5 (and midfield to an extent) they will get obliterated by a decent side. The thing with Liverpool is its all or nothing, sure they look great going forward at times but Klopp knows as much about setting his side up to defend as I do about teaching mandarin and this will become very apparent when they meet a half decent side. Klopp is tactically not in the same league as Mourinho, with Mourinho he knows how to shut sides out and with the attacking talent we have at our disposal we would have a chance of beating anyone.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
How are Liverpool fans this delusional? Not even most Utd fans think Utd have a good chance to win the CL. But Liverpool fans have convinced themselves they are some European juggernaut.

Your manager isn't one of the best, your team isn't one of the best, even your forwards which is supposed to be your standout quality isn't one of the best. The only way you'll win this is through lots of luck in draws.

Last edited:

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
If Klopp's teams keep on playing like this, bayern will come calling for him. PSG will be looking for a new coach soon too, Low's contract also ends this year. Will be interesting if he is tempted by any offers.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Spartak were undefeated in 19+ games in all competitions and smacked Sevilla 5-1 so they aren't some crap team... Winning 7-0 vs them is very respectable
Spartak had lost against Sevilla literally the last time they played them. They went 5 games between losing 2-1 to Sevilla and losing 7-0 to Liverpool. They had gone 17 games unbeaten prior to Sevilla beating them 2-1, but they currently sit 4th in the Russian Premier League, way off the pace of Lokomotiv who are top.

Beating any team 7-0 is a great result, but lets not pretend that Spartak are anything other than a mediocre side. They've conceded the 2nd highest number of goals of any team in the Russian PL currently outside of the relegation spots, so it's obvious there's a bit of an issue defensively there.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
How are Liverpool fans this delusional? Not even most Utd fans think Utd have a good chance to win the CL. But Liverpool fans have convinced themselves they are some European juggernaut.
Who are saying we are going to win it?

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Spartak had lost against Sevilla literally the last time they played them. They went 5 games between losing 2-1 to Sevilla and losing 7-0 to Liverpool. They had gone 17 games unbeaten prior to Sevilla beating them 2-1, but they currently sit 4th in the Russian Premier League, way off the pace of Lokomotiv who are top.

Beating any team 7-0 is a great result, but lets not pretend that Spartak are anything other than a mediocre side. They've conceded the 2nd highest number of goals of any team in the Russian PL currently outside of the relegation spots, so it's obvious there's a bit of an issue defensively there.
I am not too fuzzed about how good they were myself. I just enjoyed it from the start upon realising that this was the first time Coutinho, Firmino, Salah and Mane all started together - And then seeing them run absolutely rampant. The kinda feeling I haven't had since Suarez or Torres in their pomp.

Alabaster Codify7

I kind of see the Scousers opinion, here. We wouldn't have much joy at all playing for a 1-0 or 2-1 against the top dogs, they're too good going forward. Maybe the best approach is gung-ho and try to outscore them, go out on your shield at least.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Who are saying we are going to win it?
I was talking about CHANCE and not that Liverpool fans are certain they are going to win. Its obvious from the outside looking in that some Pool fans have started overrating their team just because they're in good form. Completely ignoring that they are well behind the top teams in Europe. Just as a clear example, RedmenTV, which is a decent sized fan channel asked if this is the best Liverpool team ever.

At the moment, some fans will delude themselves into thinking that their defenders are good. Then when they do another Sevilla or Tottenham, theyll go back to hiding until Liverpool win a few games in a row again.

This isn't me bashing Liverpool fans, because there are a lot of sensible Liverpool fans on here who understand the limitations of their team.

Kapardin

If Klopp's teams keep on playing like this, bayern will come calling for him. PSG will be looking for a new coach soon too, Low's contract also ends this year. Will be interesting if he is tempted by any offers.
He won't leave, he loves acting the underdog and Liverpool suits him perfectly.

Frank Grimes

Again that's bullshit. They conceded 5 against City and 4 against Spurs whilst scoring just one goal. It's all good and fine beating Russian and Bulgarian teams by 7 goals but out of all the English teams, they're least equipped to handle good European teams.
Both away games, learn to read. I think they'll give any team in Europe a game.

Peanut Butter

Amazing how I give Liverpool a bit of praise and I'm bombarded with alerts. I hate them as much as anyone but give credit where it is due.
Agreed, they've been extremely good and consistent last month or two.

And I can't stand the bitter feckers. ;)

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I am not too fuzzed about how good they were myself. I just enjoyed it from the start upon realising that this was the first time Coutinho, Firmino, Salah and Mane all started together - And then seeing them run absolutely rampant. The kinda feeling I haven't had since Suarez or Torres in their pomp.
I can imagine. As I said, 7-0 is a great result whoever it's against, so to do it in the Champions League is going to feel pretty special, but I wouldn't be trying to extrapolate anything from it.

United beat Roma 7-1 in the CL and got knocked out in the next round. Freak results happen in football and the scorelines tend not to be reflective of very much at all.

That said, I think Liverpool stand about as good a chance as any other English club in the competition now. The draw for the last 16 may be favourable, or it might give you Real Madrid or Bayern Munich, but on their day, I think any of the English teams can beat the other teams left in it. The thing I'm not overly convinced of is their ability to hold that lead over two legs.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Performance in the league generally cannot be seperated from performance in the CL. In the last 10 years only one team won the CL without being competitive in their league and that was Chelsea.

Teams like Liverpool get found out because they come up against teams that have quality through out the team. If United and Chelsea can hold Liverpool to a draw at Anfield, then better teams in Europe will fancy their chances there.

As further evidence of Liverpool's level, Liverpool had one of the easiest groups in the CL, but had the 2nd lowest points total for first place. The only other group with a lower points total for 1st place was one of the toughest groups which had Chelsea, Atletico and Roma.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
He won't leave, he loves acting the underdog and Liverpool suits him perfectly.
If the germany/bayern jobs become available as expected and are offered to him, i think it will be hard for him to turn them down. I do think he will stay though,mainly because he might not even be offered the jobs. He has done well and made the owners spend the biggest they ever have, getting Pool in the champions league and then to Last 16, even though it was an easy group. His main test starts here, can he challenge for anything more than top 4? Can he win the F.a. cup and secure passage to Semi finals atleast? I think if he doesnt win anything at all, maybe season should be considered a faliure considering money they spent.Even though its on a player to eventually replace coutinho.

shaky

Is this Liverpool team, who sit 14 points off the pace after 15 games, the best Liverpool team ever? Possibly the 2nd best behind the quadruple winning team that existed in their heads for those few days when they thought Lemar and VVD were about to sign in the summer.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Is this Liverpool team, who sit 14 points off the pace after 15 games, the best Liverpool team ever? Possibly the 2nd best behind the quadruple winning team that existed in their heads for those few days when they thought Lemar and VVD were about to sign in the summer.
They are on pace for over 80 points. It's been a while since they had a team this good.

Ban

WHy are they like that. It's either + or -, 0 or 100.
Either the best team that ever was or they think they're completely crap. But mostly they overrate their team and players and everything. Weird bunch.