Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty

This angle shows it best. CL initiates contact by running into/jockeying Lovren, then falls over. Ref has bought it completely, although from his angle it would have looked a lot worse.
That angle shows it best for you because it shows one specific view of things, and in slow motion, so the challenge looks fine.

From every other angle you see Rooney launch the ball through to Calvert-Lewin who brings it down on the turn into the area. The ball is running away from him a bit, and heading out wide away from the goal, so he slows his run and adjusts his positioning to shield the ball, and get round it so he can see any support that may be coming from behind. While he's doing this, Lovren runs at full pace into the back of him, with both hands on him, sending him over.

Have a look from 3:00 in on here https://www.footbie.com/video/liverpool-1-1-everton-highlights-goals

If Calvert-Lewin doesn't move across, Lovren gets a free run at the ball. He's perfectly entitled to shield the ball, and if he draws a foul by doing so then that's on the defender for rushing into a challenge. Lovren should have slowed down with CL, and positioned himself between CL and the goal, while staying tight to CL.

It was a penalty, and you'd have been fecking livid had it not been given at the other end, with Williams charging into Salah.

mav_9me

It's 100% a penalty. Calvert-Lewin does everything right. Gets across his man, Lovren takes him down. Hands on the back. Small push but at full speed enough to throw DCL off balance and how anyone can argue it's not a pen is beyond me.

Regards the Salah goal, he actually hands Martina off. These never, ever get given but personally I don't see how using your hands to push a defender isn't a free kick. I appreciate approximately nobody will agree with that.
Because you can see Martina has a hand on Salah too and Salah uses one hand too. I just thought that was Salah being stronger.

Danny Roberts

That angle shows it best for you because it shows one specific view of things, and in slow motion, so the challenge looks fine.

From every other angle you see Rooney launch the ball through to Calvert-Lewin who brings it down on the turn into the area. The ball is running away from him a bit, and heading out wide away from the goal, so he slows his run and adjusts his positioning to shield the ball, and get round it so he can see any support that may be coming from behind. While he's doing this, Lovren runs at full pace into the back of him, with both hands on him, sending him over.

Have a look from 3:00 in on here https://www.footbie.com/video/liverpool-1-1-everton-highlights-goals

If Calvert-Lewin doesn't move across, Lovren gets a free run at the ball. He's perfectly entitled to shield the ball, and if he draws a foul by doing so then that's on the defender for rushing into a challenge. Lovren should have slowed down with CL, and positioned himself between CL and the goal, while staying tight to CL.

It was a penalty, and you'd have been fecking livid had it not been given at the other end, with Williams charging into Salah.
Bang on for me, 100%.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool

The angle I posted shows it best because it shows clearly that CL runs into Lovren and away from the path of the ball. Even the other angle shows that there was no pushing movement from Lovren's hands.

Lovren was doing exactly what you said - staying between the goal and CL. It's clear that he doesn't even make a challenge and at no point does he charge in as you suggest. He's just touch tight and the striker runs into him and falls down. Try running alongside someone, you'll see that it takes quite some effort to send you flying immediately to the floor in the way CL went down. In fact, look at the Salah goal for an example.

Interesting, Carragher posted on twitter earlier that Calvert-Lewin himself has told him he dived. It's a futile argument because the result isn't going to change, but shit refereeing prevails yet again.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
The angle I posted shows it best because it shows clearly that CL runs into Lovren and away from the path of the ball. Even the other angle shows that there was no pushing movement from Lovren's hands.

Lovren was doing exactly what you said - staying between the goal and CL. It's clear that he doesn't even make a challenge and at no point does he charge in as you suggest. He's just touch tight and the striker runs into him and falls down. Try running alongside someone, you'll see that it takes quite some effort to send you flying immediately to the floor in the way CL went down. In fact, look at the Salah goal for an example.

Interesting, Carragher posted on twitter earlier that Calvert-Lewin himself has told him he dived. It's a futile argument because the result isn't going to change, but shit refereeing prevails yet again.
He was joking with Carragher you muppet.

Of course Calvert-Lewin runs away from the path of the ball, he's trying to get around it so he can see who's coming from behind in support, or to get a better view of goal for a shot. If he runs with the path of the ball he's facing the fecking corner flag and Lovren has a clear run at the ball.

You're basically arguing that Calvert-Lewin had no right to try and shield the ball from Lovren, and instead should have just abandoned the chase (which he was fecking winning) so that Lovren could clear the ball away. There is no rule in football that states that a player must run following the path of the ball, because it'd be fecking stupid.

You don't get touch tight when you're chasing a player for the sole reason that you're likely to give away a foul by charging into them, which is exactly what Lovren did. Your GIF showed a very kind view of the incident, in slow motion, with no real context of what went on, which is precisely why you think it's the best. Every other view shows Calvert-Lewin slowing to turn and shield the ball, while Lovren raises two hands to him and barges him over.

The Salah goal was an entirely different situation. Salah knew he was being marked so he braces himself for a challenge from behind. The ball comes in and he leans into Martina to muscle him away from the ball and create some space. Some might argue it was a foul on Martina as Salah appears to use his hands to push him away, rather than his body. If you can't see how that is different to Lovren chasing down Calvert-Lewin then you might want to book yourself an eye test.

In one of the replays in the video I linked to you can even see Lovren extend his arms a bit as he makes contact with Calvert-Lewin, but you keep watching your GIF and wanking yourself silly over bent refs.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
He was joking with Carragher you muppet.

Of course Calvert-Lewin runs away from the path of the ball, he's trying to get around it so he can see who's coming from behind in support, or to get a better view of goal for a shot. If he runs with the path of the ball he's facing the fecking corner flag and Lovren has a clear run at the ball.

You're basically arguing that Calvert-Lewin had no right to try and shield the ball from Lovren, and instead should have just abandoned the chase (which he was fecking winning) so that Lovren could clear the ball away. There is no rule in football that states that a player must run following the path of the ball, because it'd be fecking stupid.

You don't get touch tight when you're chasing a player for the sole reason that you're likely to give away a foul by charging into them, which is exactly what Lovren did. Your GIF showed a very kind view of the incident, in slow motion, with no real context of what went on, which is precisely why you think it's the best. Every other view shows Calvert-Lewin slowing to turn and shield the ball, while Lovren raises two hands to him and barges him over.

The Salah goal was an entirely different situation. Salah knew he was being marked so he braces himself for a challenge from behind. The ball comes in and he leans into Martina to muscle him away from the ball and create some space. Some might argue it was a foul on Martina as Salah appears to use his hands to push him away, rather than his body. If you can't see how that is different to Lovren chasing down Calvert-Lewin then you might want to book yourself an eye test.

In one of the replays in the video I linked to you can even see Lovren extend his arms a bit as he makes contact with Calvert-Lewin, but you keep watching your GIF and wanking yourself silly over bent refs.
If CL was trying to get around the ball to shield he would be bending his knees and anticipating a collision. Instead, he nudges into Lovren and falls over as if he has been shot. He clearly knew what he was doing.

Of course you get touch tight to prevent the opposition having a shooting opportunity in the box :lol:

Also, this is an online discussion forum. People are allowed to express their opinions as they see them. Must say, you're really hard throwing around insults whilst sitting behind a computer screen.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
It's 100% a penalty. Calvert-Lewin does everything right. Gets across his man, Lovren takes him down. Hands on the back. Small push but at full speed enough to throw DCL off balance and how anyone can argue it's not a pen is beyond me.

Regards the Salah goal, he actually hands Martina off. These never, ever get given but personally I don't see how using your hands to push a defender isn't a free kick. I appreciate approximately nobody will agree with that.
I agree with you 100%.
Salah shoved his man away on to his arse.
If it was the other way around you'd be livid if the ref doesnt blow for the foul.... Salah got away with it. Took the goal very well.

Lovren was unlucky but the ref got that one right. Had he got the other call right Liverpool might have lost :wenger::smirk:

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
If CL was trying to get around the ball to shield he would be bending his knees and anticipating a collision. Instead, he nudges into Lovren and falls over as if he has been shot. He clearly knew what he was doing.

Of course you get touch tight to prevent the opposition having a shooting opportunity in the box :lol:

Also, this is an online discussion forum. People are allowed to express their opinions as they see them. Must say, you're really hard throwing around insults whilst sitting behind a computer screen.
I'd call you a muppet in real life. I'm hardly offering you out ffs.

Aye, players run with their legs perfectly straight, and when they know they're being chased down and trying to slow and turn they just lock their knees. No bend needed. Are you even reading this shite back?

You don't get touch tight to someone slowing down in front of you. You get tight, yes, but you slow down with them and block off the route to the goal, getting tighter once your speed is under control. If you try and get touch tight without slowing down you'll end up doing something daft like running into the back of them and giving away a penalty.

Have your opinion fella, I'll have mine. Yours is bonkers though and seems to want some world where strikers just concede the ball to chasing defenders while keeping their legs perfectly straight as they run.

RooneyLegend

Never a pen, Lovren runs into the defenders line and falls over at the slightest of contacts. He didn't have control of the ball so can't be said to be shielding. Just a bad call by the ref but not the worst you'll ever see.

p2pZeus

It was a soft penalty. Very soft.
But the only reason all the journalists are sayings its a penalty is really to wind up Klopp to get a reaction, which they have got.

James Peril

I hate Liverpool and Klopp just as much as the other guy, but I would have been pissed if that was given against us yesterday against City. The striker goes down because he wants to go down, if he didn't that force was never enough to bring him down on its own. I am not blaming the striker though, the rules are there for a reason and the referee must act upon what he sees. A very soft penalty, but all in all it's awesome since it's against Liverpool.

Acole9

Outstanding
Apparently that's the second penalty Everton have got at Anfield since the second world war and people are moaning about it!

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
It was a soft penalty. Very soft.
But the only reason all the journalists are sayings its a penalty is really to wind up Klopp to get a reaction, which they have got.
The reason they're saying it's a penalty is because it was very much a penalty.

devil in me

It's 100% a penalty. Calvert-Lewin does everything right. Gets across his man, Lovren takes him down. Hands on the back. Small push but at full speed enough to throw DCL off balance and how anyone can argue it's not a pen is beyond me
I'm surprised how anyone could argue against that being a pen. We can break it down all we want, but he pushed him over...clearly.

Irrational.

DCL was going nowhere and looking for an excuse to win the penalty, and Lovren stupidly obliged. It's his fault and it was a penalty. Klopp is just bitter and in denial. He should be angry at Lovren, not at the ref.

Judging from the various interviews and the post-match press conference yesterday, Klopp is cracking up.

parkthebuslads

I think the issue with the decision is that although it was correct, such a penalty is almost never given. Poor refereeing and general inconsistency has created the problem.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
That is not a penalty and we would be livid if city got that at OT. Having said that it shouldn't be an excuse for Klopp acting like a fool in the interview

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
The Liverpool supporters in my office thought it was a penalty.... instead, they gave Lovren hell for being stupid.

Retrokicks

I don't think it's even relevant to question whether or not it's a pen. The ref gave it, so suck it up. It's only a contentitious issue due to the squandered chances.

The fact of the matter is that big Sam got exactly what he wanted and effectively schooled Klopp! For me, Klopp has a knack of bottling games which are pivotal (three points would have been great there), even against sides he should destroy. Quite odd how a manager states his intention to at least stop Liverpool taking the 3 points, and then manages it effectively.

Must be crap from Klopp when it's that predictable!

montpelier

I can't decide whether I think it's a penalty or not, now. I say that because you can't (imo) quite tell how much Lovren does or doesn't push him & there is the suggestion of a step-across & a very quick dive away, (he does it well). But from the referee's angle it looks extremely likely that it is a pen, almost stonewall in fact.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
I don't think it's even relevant to question whether or not it's a pen. The ref gave it, so suck it up. It's only a contentitious issue due to the squandered chances.

The fact of the matter is that big Sam got exactly what he wanted and effectively schooled Klopp! For me, Klopp has a knack of bottling games which are pivotal (three points would have been great there), even against sides he should destroy. Quite odd how a manager states his intention to at least stop Liverpool taking the 3 points, and then manages it effectively.

Must be crap from Klopp when it's that predictable!
Having 0 shots on target except for a dubious penalty and the least possession ever in a Merseyside derby is a schooling? Luck and shoddy finishing is what got Everton a point, not any special tactical approach from Allardyce.

Peanut Butter

Definitely a penalty. Liverpool fans would be raging if Williams did the same at the other end and it wasn't given.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Definitely a penalty. Liverpool fans would be raging if Williams did the same at the other end and it wasn't given.
Of course we would. We were playing at Anfield & we expect those decisions to go in our favour. It's been that way since the 60's. It doesn't apply to the opposition though. Klopp has my sympathy. The footballing establishment has let him down. I dare say though we'll be adequately recompensed at some point later in the season. They owe us.

mayurr

Supports
Liverpool
Its another thing lovren getting the stick, yup he is a dumb a$$, but its obvious from the reply that lovren did put his hand on back but didnt push him ..there is no push, the everton player tried to maximize the contact and then tripped over.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Did he say Sigurdsson should have got red card for the foul on Henderson?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
That penalty decision is truly shocking, but Liverpool had no business not being out of sight by then. Were i Klopp i'd be more pissed at my players then the ref(who btw shouldn't be anywhere near another big game this season)

ants7

Soft pen of course but come on - they had numerous chances which they did not take. They only have themselves to blame that they left themselves in a position where one bad call by the ref might cost them 2 points. To blame this result on one probably wrong ref's decision is lunacy. It's the same as Arsenal were saying after getting beat 1-3 - "We were better, we should have won and we are actually moral winners". No you're not - if you look closely to the result, you might see that one team scored more goals than other. One team took their chances, other did not.

On the other hand, it's great fun when these things happen with one of our rivals. And Klopp definitely is a great source for comedy.

Danny Roberts

I agree with you 100%.
Salah shoved his man away on to his arse.
If it was the other way around you'd be livid if the ref doesnt blow for the foul.... Salah got away with it. Took the goal very well.

Lovren was unlucky but the ref got that one right. Had he got the other call right Liverpool might have lost :wenger::smirk:
The only thing that would make all the Gobshites moaning about the penalty better is if it had followed Salah's goal being disallowed. Oh well, mustn't get greedy.

Darkhorsez

Funny watching that game, even the commentators were saying, well he will look really good if the result holds having rested some key players etc. But silly if the score line changes. The dude’s arrogance just gets the better of him at times. He messes around a bit and blames everyone and everything to justify himself and his players. How can he defend his players after so many misses. Not saying he should throw them under the bus but why go out of your way to praise them. I think he does that to say that I made the right call on my selections etc. No matter what is said about the pen decision, this team screwed up big time, players and manager. Well, a highlight in a weekend of misery.

SER19

What a melt down. Overshadowed by the exaggeration of old Trafford but my god that was cringe

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Of course we would. We were playing at Anfield & we expect those decisions to go in our favour. It's been that way since the 60's. It doesn't apply to the opposition though. Klopp has my sympathy. The footballing establishment has let him down. I dare say though we'll be adequately recompensed at some point later in the season. They owe us.
No white text?

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
Funny watching that game, even the commentators were saying, well he will look really good if the result holds having rested some key players etc. But silly if the score line changes. The dude’s arrogance just gets the better of him at times. He messes around a bit and blames everyone and everything to justify himself and his players. How can he defend his players after so many misses. Not saying he should throw them under the bus but why go out of your way to praise them. I think he does that to say that I made the right call on my selections etc. No matter what is said about the pen decision, this team screwed up big time, players and manager. Well, a highlight in a weekend of misery.
Last season he played the first team throughout December and they hit a physical brick wall in Jan/Feb WITHOUT European football, which almost cost them the CL qualification in the end. This year he manages the squad and rotates the players, so history doesn´t repeat itself and the fans bitch and moan about his selections. He drew a game, where Everton had 20% possession, touched the ball in the opposing box three times and had one shot on target, a very questionable penalty. I mean seriously? This game ends with a Liverpool win 9.5 out of 10 times and in a blowout 50% of the time.