Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
The biggest problem Liverpool have, and will continue to have, is not having a technically sound midfielder to control possession. Jorginho, Gundogan, Thiago, any of those type of players. Liverpool's 10 outfielders are based on full throttle pressing and quick transition but a problem comes when they face a team that's faster and more aggressive than they are (Red Star at home, Napoli). Neither Fabinho nor Keita will solve that as well, so these performances are just something Liverpool fans should learn to persist with because it will continue to happen throughout the season.
The 'full throttle press' hasn't even been a thing this season. We've shifted our style of play to something that's closer to resembling Man Utd under Mourinho than the type of football Klopp is typically associated with.

Vadim

The 'full throttle press' hasn't even been a thing this season. We've shifted our style of play to something that's closer to resembling Man Utd under Mourinho than the type of football Klopp is typically associated with.
He’s still right though. Teams that are organised and defensively sound make Liverpool look average at times.

A little Brazilian pulling the strings in midfield would be a good addition.

Treble

It seems like it indeed. And Jose has gone gung-ho recently and we are like Liverpool from the start of last season.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
He’s still right though. Teams that are organised and defensively sound make Liverpool look average at times.

A little Brazilian pulling the strings in midfield would be a good addition.
That's not my point through. I don't think Liverpool have had trouble against defensive teams, either this season or last season. The issue has been against teams that press their midfield and don't allow them space in the middle, which is what Red Star did. They have no midfielder who is very comfortable in the ball and therefore they struggle to set up attacks.

Keita and Ox are two midfielders who can drive through pressure, rather than holding possession, but they are both injured.

piesel

Probably something to do with you only winning four of your last 10 games, three of which were home games against Southampton (16th), Cardiff (19th) and Red Star Belgrade (who you just lost against), with the other being a win against Huddersfield (18th).

You're talking about how you "simply" need to beat Napoli, who are now level with PSG and have only lost one of their last 10, which was by one goal, away to Juventus, having won six of the other nine, and who have Red Star at home as one of their remaining games. You're also talking about how you "could" get some points at PSG, who have a 100% record in the league, have lost just once so far this season, and also have Red Star as one of their remaining games. With your current form, I wouldn't be overly optimistic (I'm certainly not about United's chances of getting through).
It was a 3-1 loss.

cyberman

This post should be pinned.
If you listened to Utd fans on here you would think Liverpool were playing like Brazil 70 this season.

Kapardin

If he takes Liverpool in the EL again, it will be his Sevilla moment. That, and not winning the league or any cups despite playing a brand of football which is less entertaining than previous seasons will imply a regression.

sugar_kane

If for arguments sake Klopp doesn't win anything this season how much longer will it take for the fans to want a change of manager?

el3mel

If for arguments sake Klopp doesn't win anything this season how much longer will it take for the fans to want a change of manager?
He's at a club that hasn't been used to winning anything for years so there won't be much problem. He's a perfect match for them. A loser managing losers.

Last edited:

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Not winning anything won't be a factor.

However, should they fail to get out of their CL group and end up in a battle for top 4, questions will probably start being asked. Not enough to get rid of him I wouldn't have thought, but the pressure will be on next season.

The Purley King

Whats changed up front for Liverpool? Same players, same formation, different results.......
It surely can't all be down to Salah not working miracles any more?
They had the same pretty average midfield last year as well and that didn't seem to hold them back too much.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Many of us predicted they'd fade as the games came thick and fast.

They're good at hammering poor teams at Anfield by three or four goals. They can also beat teams away on the break who play too high. They struggle to beat top 6 teams and anyone who can keep them quiet in the first 30 minutes when they do their headless chicken high pressing stuff.
2017 wants its hot take back.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Whats changed up front for Liverpool? Same players, same formation, different results.......
They had the same pretty average midfield last year as well and that didn't seem to hold them back too much.
Same as Mourinho's results last year, it wasn't going to last. Once Coutinho went, Chamberlain was the only one who kept our midfield from being one-dimensional. When he got injured, it was basically running on fumes of confidence to see out the season.

Hopefully Keita will find his feet soon and take up the mantle of keeping the midfield from being too one-dimensional.

The proper solution is to get in a proper 10 though.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I disagree, after another year of failure or shall I say no silverware the Scousers will be rioting.
Depends if there's a better option available. No point going from being competitive but not winning anything, to not being competitive and not winning anything.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Depends if there's a better option available. No point going from being competitive but not winning anything, to not being competitive and not winning anything.
I wish United fans were more sensible like you. We have people pining for Eddie Howe and Ryan Giggs because they think attacking football is all you need and quality of coaching doesn't matter. Atleast people like Pochettino and Tuchel have shown to be competent at the highest level.

Can23

Supports
Liverpool
I wish United fans were more sensible like you. We have people pining for Eddie Howe and Ryan Giggs because they think attacking football is all you need and quality of coaching doesn't matter. Atleast people like Pochettino and Tuchel have shown to be competent at the highest level.
Exactly if we got rid of Klopp and you got rid of Mourinho, what top quality replacements are available? I can't see any. Both clubs need to back their manager financially and let the chips fall where they may

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
I disagree, after another year of failure or shall I say no silverware the Scousers will be rioting.
I’ll never subscribe to that theory, we’ve been in the doldrums for years prior to Klopps arrival, one magnificent season notwithstanding.
He’s made us competitive and relevant again. The next step is trophies of course, but I feel like demanding trophies is only something we can do once we’ve actually won a few.
We have one of the top managers in the world and we’d be fools to replace him, and FSG for all their faults wouldn’t do that. He’s perfect for them, he’s built the club exactly the way they wanted.

Vadim

Klopp is the best Liverpool can get, there’s no way their fans or the club will want to get rid of him.

They might not win feck all under him but the fans enjoy being competitive again and despite Liverpool looking a bit crap this season, they are still the second or third best team in the league at the moment.

If Liverpool get rid of Klopp they will just go backwards.

He isn’t the type of manager who is best when things are demanded and expected of him. He’s best as the plucky underdog when the expectations are low.

He’s perfect for Liverpool and they are perfect for him. He wouldn’t be right for Man Utd because our fans want more, a top 4 finish isn’t enough when you’re a giant of a club. No real fan of Utd got excited about finishing second last season, it was dull and I couldn’t wait for season to finish.

Just being in the CL doesn’t excite me, it’s the kind of thing Spurs fans pine for. We want to win the CL and at least be runnning City to the last day of the season. You can stick your top 4 up your backside, I won’t remember that when I’m old and telling my kids about United. I will be telling them about Barcelona in 99, winning the league on a rainy afternoon away at Wigan in 08. They are memories, not finishing second or third because it’s financially fun.

Football fans are like fecking accountants now, it’s depressing. Look at posters like @GlastonSpur and a few others (not picking on you Glastonspurs, it’s just that you instantly spring to mind when I think about who posts a lot about budgets and finance related news). These posters spend so much time and energy posting about bank balances and balance sheets. It seems to all be about Top 4, Top 4, Top 4...

Right now Utd are a million miles away of where we should be which is why some of our fans want Jose out. It’s not that we’re spoilt, it’s because we should behave like a giant club. Bayern and Real Madrid don’t accept mediocrity, why should we?

Sorry for the rant but why do we (Liverpool fans and Utd) accept it? We are both behemoths in the football world, absolute giant clubs. Yet we look at 4th place like some kind of trophy now and it’s absurd.

Last edited:

CA1

People talking about Klopp being sacked are mental to be honest.

There is nobody they would get who is better suited.

I don't see them winning a PL or CL under him as being in any way inevitable though, he's not going to build a dynasty in that way. I can see him at Liverpool for the next few years though. They'll probably roughly have the same strengths and weaknesses all the time with him. A bit like Wenger, it may get a bit stale and familiarity may start to build contempt in 3-4 more years but for now he's on a decent road with them and I think he can get some trophies somewhere along the line.

He'd be mad not to take the FA Cup this year seriously IMO.

Josh 76

I’ll never subscribe to that theory, we’ve been in the doldrums for years prior to Klopps arrival, one magnificent season notwithstanding.
He’s made us competitive and relevant again. The next step is trophies of course, but I feel like demanding trophies is only something we can do once we’ve actually won a few.
We have one of the top managers in the world and we’d be fools to replace him, and FSG for all their faults wouldn’t do that. He’s perfect for them, he’s built the club exactly the way they wanted.
When you say klopp has made you competitive, what do you define as competitive? Getting to a champions league final? Benitez got you to two in 3 years. Fighting for the title? Rodgers got you 2nd and still within a chance of winning it on the last day. The highest you have finished under klopp is 4th.

Liverpool fans have been brain washed so much by the media that klopp has invented the wheel. So the football is exciting and Klopp has a few beers and sings with you guys, but football under Evans and Rodgers was just as good as it is now. The difference is klopp acts exactly like a Liverpool supporter on the "terraces" and you lot get sucked into it big time.

Vadim

When you say Klopp has made you competitive, what do you define as competitive? Getting to a Champions League final? Benitez got you to two in 3 years. Fighting for the title? Rodgers got you 2nd and still within a chance of winning it on the last day. The highest you have finished under Klopp is 4th.

Liverpool fans have been brain washed so much by the media that Klopp has invented the wheel. So the football is exciting and Klopp has a few beers and sings with you guys, but football under Evans and Rodgers was just as good as it is now. The difference is Klopp acts exactly like a Liverpool supporter on the "terraces" and you lot get sucked into it big time.
To be fair, Liverpool fans worshipped BR and RB as well. You’re barking up the wrong tree here.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
They've lost momentum some what.

RedDevil@84

Salah and Mane were ridiculously good last year and whatever they couldn't was finished by Firmino. So yes, the front 3 in normal form will affect the overall game now.

youmeletsfly

Salah and Mane were ridiculously good last year and whatever they couldn't was finished by Firmino. So yes, the front 3 in normal form will affect the overall game now.
Added to that Salah had a great season last year.

When you have a player in such form the others dig in and try to be at the same level.

Can23

Supports
Liverpool
When you say Klopp has made you competitive, what do you define as competitive? Getting to a Champions League final? Benitez got you to two in 3 years. Fighting for the title? Rodgers got you 2nd and still within a chance of winning it on the last day. The highest you have finished under Klopp is 4th.

Liverpool fans have been brain washed so much by the media that Klopp has invented the wheel. So the football is exciting and Klopp has a few beers and sings with you guys, but football under Evans and Rodgers was just as good as it is now. The difference is Klopp acts exactly like a Liverpool supporter on the "terraces" and you lot get sucked into it big time.
Benitez is rated by Liverpool fans but that was over 8 years ago when even getting in the Top 4 was almost a given for Us you Chelsea and Arsenal. We're not brainwashed at all anyone with half a brain can see how Klopp has transformed our squad in comparison to recent years. God forbid supporters actually support their manager and team.

You've had SAF for 26 years most United fans have only known success and they seem incapable of understanding managers like SAF don't grow on trees. You need to give your manager time and back him in the transfer market and see what happens.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
There's been a general slump in performance levels at top clubs across Europe, excluding Man City. It's something that could perhaps be attributed to the World Cup.

Schweigaard

Supports
Liverpool

Except that one-season wonder by Rodgers, we've had almost 10 years of 6th, 7th and 8th place finishes. I think it's very odd that you somehow don't remember this.

Klopp has given us two CL seasons in a row now, two European cup finals and pretty much every transfer he makes has been succesful. It's hardly being "brainwashed" to be happy about our situation.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
There's been a general slump in performance levels at top clubs across Europe, excluding Man City. It's something that could perhaps be attributed to the World Cup.
Either that or City are drugging everyone else. Wouldn't put it past the dopers.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018

Benitez is rated by Liverpool fans but that was over 8 years ago when even getting in the Top 4 was almost a given for Us you Chelsea and Arsenal. We're not brainwashed at all anyone with half a brain can see how Klopp has transformed our squad in comparison to recent years. God forbid supporters actually support their manager and team.

You've had SAF for 26 years most United fans have only known success and they seem incapable of understanding managers like SAF don't grow on trees. You need to give your manager time and back him in the transfer market and see what happens.
I'm with Can23 on this one. Of course Klopp has transformed them. It's not delusional to refer to themselves as competitive. And we have forgotten what an anomaly Fergie was.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Hey, we've been just as abject as we were before!

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Tbh Klopp is doing a good job, he has got his team playing good football and addressed some of the weaknesses in the team from last season.