Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
He has done well to tighten the defence, but this thing has costed him in the Champions League where you need to perform in a single game.

Vadim

Liverpool played Red Star, but United played Juventus, that's the difference...

Sorry couldn't resist.
Klopp should give Jose a call for advice on winning big European matches. It’s something he consistently fails at and ironically Liverpool have always had pedigree in Europe.

6 times La.

Josh 76

To be fair, Liverpool fans worshipped BR and RB as well. You’re barking up the wrong tree here.
No I'm not. The point I'm making is you have always been competitive before klopp came. Your managers before klopp have won more than him in there first 3 years. Your manager before klopp has got you closer to the title than you have for 27 years. You played great football before klopp came. Someone please tell me what has got Liverpool fans so obsessed with klopp. ?
Except that one-season wonder by Rodgers, we've had almost 10 years of 6th, 7th and 8th place finishes. I think it's very odd that you somehow don't remember this.

Klopp has given us two CL seasons in a row now, two European cup finals and pretty much every transfer he makes has been succesful. It's hardly being "brainwashed" to be happy about our situation.
So klopp has transformed you from a mid table team to finishing 4th. Oh and 3 finals which is classed as a bigger achievement than mourhino winning 2 trophies.
Look I see klopp is doing ok. But how long are Liverpool fans going to give him if he keeps losing in finals and finishing 4th every season?

Robbie Boy

I honestly don't know if he is doing a particularly great job. All I know is the job he is doing is massively overstated and the English media love to wank all over him.

Vadim

I honestly don't know if he is doing a particularly great job. All I know is the job he is doing is massively overstated and the English media love to wank all over him.
But he shows pashun and wears a cap! He’s just like me and you!

Klopp’s dark side lurks underneath the faux grin though. He knows he has to deliver this season after spending a fortune of Liverpool’s cash on his own type of players.

Trophies please Mr Klopp or it’s yet more failure.

Robbie Boy

But he shows pashun and wears a cap! He’s just like me and you!

Klopp’s dark side lurks underneath the faux grin though. He knows he has to deliver this season after spending a fortune of Liverpool’s cash on his own type of players.

Trophies please Mr Klopp or it’s yet more failure.
Exactly. If he wins nothing this season he's been there near 4 full seasons with feck all to show for it bar a CL Final / EL Final (lost both) and some good football.

Mourinho has a fairly sizeable win % difference than Klopp since both took over, but obviously Klopp has been there 8 or 9 months more. Yet Mourinho is seen by the media as a colossal failure (despite winning 2 trophies and reaching an FA Cup Final) while Klopp sits on this pedestal with the media. I know Mourinho brings a-lot on himself but I have no idea how Klopp has remained so immune to criticism. Given his outlay, if he finishes this season with no silverware, serious questions should be asked of him but they won't due to his cult following from Liverpool fans and the media.

Djemba-Djemba

Exactly. If he wins nothing this season he's been there near 4 full seasons with feck all to show for it bar a CL Final / EL Final (lost both) and some good football.

Mourinho has a fairly sizeable win % difference than Klopp since both took over, but obviously Klopp has been there 8 or 9 months more. Yet Mourinho is seen by the media as a colossal failure (despite winning 2 trophies and reaching an FA Cup Final) while Klopp sits on this pedestal with the media. I know Mourinho brings a-lot on himself but I have no idea how Klopp has remained so immune to criticism. Given his outlay, if he finishes this season with no silverware, serious questions should be asked of him but they won't due to his cult following from Liverpool fans and the media.
Hey they also lost a League cup final too!

Interesting to see how things will pan out, by all accounts their football this season hasn't been great to watch. You get away with not winning anything at Liverpool if you play nice football but if that's gone then who knows.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

Bringing entertaining football last year and actually being friendly during interviews goes a long way and will get you a lot more respite from the media. However hard it is to pathom for a United fan, Klopp does exactly that. Mourinho is a miserable old cnut for most of the time and even if he wins, like yesterday, he can't resist to make it all about him with the needless gesturing post-match. It's his "me against the world" attitude in the media that gets him most scrutiny.

As for his job security, he'd have to set fire to Anfield for the fans and owners to turn on him right now. Only four years ago, we started a CL game at Bernabeu with the likes of Manquillo, Moreno, Allen, Borini and Markovic. On Tuesday we had players like Firmino, Fabinho, Gomez (and in principle Shaqiri) on the bench. This just shows you how much of a difference he's made in a relatively short period of time. If you only look at money spent, it would be sensible to assume he has to win something rather sooner than later to keep the critics away. However our overall team quality at the end of the 14/15 season was garbage for the most part, after Gerrard retired and Suarez & Sterling were sold. We had a lot of ground to catch up, which we've now done for 90%. Very few other managers would have transformed the atmosphere and the performances of the club like Klopp has done the past three years. If not for this City side that's simply too good for everyone, we'd be top of the league. We're currently on pace for our best start ever in PL history, and still top of our CL group, so it's not all doom and gloom as some of the posters on here would have you believe. And yes, you've won more trophies under Mourinho than we have under Klopp, but our progress under Klopp is much better than your progress under Mourinho right now.

We're waiting for more than a decade for another serious trophy - one year more or less won't make a difference to most of us, I know it doesn't for me anyway.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Hey they also lost a League Cup final too!

Interesting to see how things will pan out, by all accounts their football this season hasn't been great to watch. You get away with not winning anything at Liverpool if you play nice football but if that's gone then who knows.
Saking him for the sake of it would be the worst decision we could possibly make. Then repalce him with who? Another inferior manager who won't do better with the squad than Klopp currently does? One that has to implement his own style of play, i.e. another one or two years down the drain because our players have to adapt (I know it didn't take Sarri as long for example but that's normally not the case). We took a corner with appointing Klopp and we should stick with him.

Hey they also lost a League Cup final too!

The fans and the media have built him up so much i think it will take more than just one season for them to admit he might not be the messiah.

cyberman

Liverpool could be in a strange situation if Klopp fails this year. Do they back him next year? Arsenal and Chelsea will be a year into their transition, I'm sure the new Utd manager / Jose will be backed after last summers debacle while City will find a lightbulb sponsor to afford another 200m outlay.
Its the argument about Jose buying a CB after Bailly / Lindelof but this one makes sense.

Robbie Boy

Bringing entertaining football last year and actually being friendly during interviews goes a long way and will get you a lot more respite from the media. However hard it is to pathom for a United fan, Klopp does exactly that. Mourinho is a miserable old cnut for most of the time and even if he wins, like yesterday, he can't resist to make it all about him with the needless gesturing post-match. It's his "me against the world" attitude in the media that gets him most scrutiny.

As for his job security, he'd have to set fire to Anfield for the fans and owners to turn on him right now. Only four years ago, we started a CL game at Bernabeu with the likes of Manquillo, Moreno, Allen, Borini and Markovic. On Tuesday we had players like Firmino, Fabinho, Gomez (and in principle Shaqiri) on the bench. This just shows you how much of a difference he's made in a relatively short period of time. If you only look at money spent, it would be sensible to assume he has to win something rather sooner than later to keep the critics away. However our overall team quality at the end of the 14/15 season was garbage for the most part, after Gerrard retired and Suarez & Sterling were sold. We had a lot of ground to catch up, which we've now done for 90%. Very few other managers would have transformed the atmosphere and the performances of the club like Klopp has done the past three years. If not for this City side that's simply too good for everyone, we'd be top of the league. We're currently on pace for our best start ever in PL history, and still top of our CL group, so it's not all doom and gloom as some of the posters on here would have you believe. And yes, you've won more trophies under Mourinho than we have under Klopp, but our progress under Klopp is much better than your progress under Mourinho right now.

We're waiting for more than a decade for another serious trophy - one year more or less won't make a difference to most of us, I know it doesn't for me anyway.
Believe me, I don't find Mourinho remotely entertaining these days, so you're barking up the wrong tree with that one. I don't feel he's the right fit for the club although things have slightly improved recently but our start to the season and his role in that, is for me , still completely unforgiveable. I'm also not a fan of managers creating a 'siege mentality' or a 'us against the world' atmosphere as I find it totally unnecessary. Maybe Livepool fans are blinded, but Klopp also comes across as massive prick a-lot of the time. I think you guys are so in the 'Klopp bubble' that you are all totally blinded to it.

As for the rest, in this day and age unfortunately it's all about silverware v money spent and right now, Klopp needs to start winning things. Again, Livepool fans are so immersed in the 'Klopp bubble' that all you guys can do is view him in this weird romantic notion, despite him being there 3 seasons and losing 3 finals. It's all very weird.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Their main midfield is still Henderson, Milner and Wijnaldum.
It's not easy to say what would be a failure for them. I can't under any circumstances call them finishing second a failure, even if they win nothing.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Much like us, I think he will keep the fans on side if he can get them competitive while playing entertaining football.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Believe me, I don't find Mourinho remotely entertaining these days, so you're barking up the wrong tree with that one. I don't feel he's the right fit for the club although things have slightly improved recently but our start to the season and his role in that, is for me , still completely unforgiveable. I'm also not a fan of managers creating a 'siege mentality' or a 'us against the world' atmosphere as I find it totally unnecessary. Maybe Livepool fans are blinded, but Klopp also comes across as massive prick a-lot of the time. I think you guys are so in the 'Klopp bubble' that you are all totally blinded to it.

As for the rest, in this day and age unfortunately it's all about silverware v money spent and right now, Klopp needs to start winning things. Again, Livepool fans are so immersed in the 'Klopp bubble' that all you guys can do is view him in this weird romantic notion, despite him being there 3 seasons and losing 3 finals. It's all very weird.
Nah, I don't think I'm blinded by anything in this case (just read my tagline). He can be a prick of course, and he's an incredibly sore loser but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing (Guardiola is exactly the same), but in general he's friendly, outspoken, funny sometimes, just likeable to a lot of people, especially Liverpool fans of course.

So I certainly don't view him a romantic notion or anything, I'm just being realistic - there's no better option for us out there and we're doing well currently, so why even entertain the idea of looking for another manager? I know some fans are all about silverware, maybe especially true for United fans who haven't know differently for the past decades, but nothing is a given, certainly not with this City team dominating on domestic level. I don't think I'll ever "expect" a trophy from Liverpool or its manager, although realistically you can expect us to at least give it a shot and compete this season, and that's currently what we're doing.

Robbie Boy

Klopp: Started his job with Liverpool on 8th October 2015. Played: 171 Won:91 Drew: 47 Lost: 33. Win percentage 53.2% / made 3 cup finals losing all 3.

Mourinho: Started his job with United on 27th May 2016. Played: 136 Won: 82 Drew: 29 Lost: 25. Win percentage 60.3% / made 3 cup finals winning 2 and losing 1.

But yet, Klopp is the messiah while Mourinho is washed up. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Mourinho is the right fit for us, but he's been more successful than Klopp who is constantly lauded as some genius.

Robbie Boy

Nah, I don't think I'm blinded by anything in this case (just read my tagline). He can be a prick of course, and he's an incredibly sore loser but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing (Guardiola is exactly the same), but in general he's friendly, outspoken, funny sometimes, just likeable to a lot of people, especially Liverpool fans of course.

So I certainly don't view him a romantic notion or anything, I'm just being realistic - there's no better option for us out there and we're doing well currently, so why even entertain the idea of looking for another manager? I know some fans are all about silverware, maybe especially true for United fans who haven't know differently for the past decades, but nothing is a given, certainly not with this City team dominating on domestic level. I don't think I'll ever "expect" a trophy from Liverpool or its manager, although realistically you can expect us to at least give it a shot and compete this season, and that's currently what we're doing.
I never said you's should actively seek a new manger, rather questions should be asked of him and he should start to feel pressure like every single other manager.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Tuesday was brutal and our play in general has been rather bad since the start of the season, but as has already been mentioned by other Liverpool fans, Klopp has moved the club miles since he came and I can't imagine one Liverpool fan wanting him out, even if we're currently in a slump.

What he needs to do now is find a way to get our attack clicking again and hopefully bring back our famous gegenpress, which was a big reason why we were fantastic to look at last season. As of now, we're not only a bit boring to look at but the results are also suffering.

Wouldn't hurt if Fabinho or Keita or both of them started to find some form, either.

Butch Cassidy

Supports
Liverpool
You don't know how good a job he's doing but the job he's doing is overstated? Kind of contradictory.

Klopp has turned us into a consistent top four side. That's an improvement. He's taken us to a CL and EL final. That's an improvement. He is wasting less money of tripe. That's an improvement.

I have no idea if oppo fans rate the job he is doing, but I rate it highly. He is doing better than fellow managers on a smaller budget (you're gonna bring up one summer out of ten, aren't you?!). I hope he sticks around for a long time.

Butch Cassidy

Supports
Liverpool
But yet, Klopp is the messiah while Mourinho is washed up. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Mourinho is the right fit for us, but he's been more successful than Klopp who is constantly lauded as some genius.
But, Mourinho is washed up!

Maybe it boils down to the idea that (to the neutral supporter and to the press) Klopp is relatively amenable, while Mourinho's an epic bell to most supporters (including Utd ones, seemingly!) and he's lost control of the narrative with the press.

To judge the jobs they are doing is wholly subjective, though. You could spin it either way, depending on your preference. For me, I'm comfortable with the job Klopp is doing (big few weeks coming up, mind) and would prefer him over Mourinho all day.

That said, things are picking up for Mourinho. Closing in on the top four and an excellent result last night. So, who knows.

Robbie Boy

Maybe it boils down to the idea that (to the neutral supporter and to the press) Klopp is relatively amenable, while Mourinho's an epic bell to most supporters (including Utd ones, seemingly!) and he's lost control of the narrative with the press.

To judge the jobs they are doing is wholly subjective, though. You could spin it either way, depending on your preference. For me, I'm comfortable with the job Klopp is doing (big few weeks coming up, mind) and would prefer him over Mourinho all day.

That said, things are picking up for Mourinho. Closing in on the top four and an excellent result last night. So, who knows.
Of course you could which is why it's hilarious Klopp is hailed as the messiah because he's 'rock and roll' and hip, whereas Mourinho is chastised despite Mourinho actually being more successful during both their tenures at both clubs. At the end of the day, Klopp avoids criticism to a laughable extent and Liverpool supporters have really bought into the 'Klopp cult'. Each to their own of course but if he ends this season with no silverware, I really don't think he's doing all that great of a job.

Robbie Boy

You don't know how good a job he's doing but the job he's doing is overstated? Kind of contradictory.

Klopp has turned us into a consistent top four side. That's an improvement. He's taken us to a CL and EL final. That's an improvement. He is wasting less money of tripe. That's an improvement.

I have no idea if oppo fans rate the job he is doing, but I rate it highly. He is doing better than fellow managers on a smaller budget (you're gonna bring up one summer out of ten, aren't you?!). I hope he sticks around for a long time.
Ok I thought it was self-explanatory: He's doing a good enough job but nothing like the media and Liverpool fans make out. Hope I've cleared that up.

Butch Cassidy

Supports
Liverpool
Of course you could which is why it's hilarious Klopp is hailed as the messiah because he's 'rock and roll' and hip, whereas Mourinho is chastised despite Mourinho actually being more successful during both their tenures at both clubs. At the end of the day, Klopp avoids criticism to a laughable extent and Liverpool supporters have really bought into the 'Klopp cult'. Each to their own of course but if he ends this season with no silverware, I really don't think he's doing all that great of a job.
Yeah, some silverware this season would be great, but we're still progressing under Klopp either way. I think we'll top last season's PL point tally quite comfortably.

I am not sure what you mean by 'Klopp cult' and Liverpool fans buying into it (I didn't know one existed, but I'll look online and sign up). But I do know that he is very popular among Liverpool fans though, personally, I am not sure that is grounds for criticism!

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

The expectations for both our clubs is to win football matches and accumulate trophies in the process, as it is for all big clubs with ambition. Klopp absolutely must deliver soon (this season preferably) or be considered a failure like many that came before him.

For all the plaudits he has received since taking over at Anfield, his best finish in the league is 4th place and he has yet to win anything. You can shout 'we play great football under him' as a means to support your claim until you are blue in the face, but it sounds incredibly hollow without even the remotest degree of success to support it.

Humour me for a second. Imagine you are chairman of Liverpool, would you appoint Mourinho as manager of your club next season, along with all the shite that would accompany him (negative press conferences, falling out with his own players and shockingly dull football to boot) if a league title was 100% guaranteed at the end it, or would you stick with Klopp' beautiful football but remain trophyless?

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I think that over the course of their respective tenures Jose will be more successful than Klopp.

I also think the job Rogers did (as funny as he was as a man with seeming delusions of grandeur) before he was hung out to dry by the owners, was actually very impressive. The way Liverpool played in that runners up season was absolutely as good as their very best performances under Klopp IMO and was the exact same pressing high up attacking style that Klopp is lauded for. It's really not Roger's fault he had the rug pulled out under his feet with the sales of Sterling and Suarez, the regression of Sturridge who has form for being patchy, and the buying of terrible players like Ballotelli as inferior replacements. However, to admit that Liverpool players (some of whom still remain) had already been coached to play in that 'Klopp' style, means that you can't then say it's all down to the genius of Klopp now. So, to protect their new messiah, the job Rogers did is downplayed by many Liverpool fans.

Without City's financial doping (and the deliciously ironic slip by you know who), Liverpool would have deservedly been on 19 titles (spits to get the horrible taste out of my mouth).

edit: I'm also not saying they should have kept Rogers - just that I don't think he stood a chance after the owners who are backing Klopp now, chose not to back a man who got them 2nd. Much like the United owners this summer - absolutely clueless.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Each to their own of course but if he ends this season with no silverware, I really don't think he's doing all that great of a job.
Ask yourself this: at the time of his appointment, did you expect him to get us to a CL and EL final within less than three full seasons? I bet you didn't, so it's unreasonable to consider him a failure right now because he hasn't won us a trophy (not saying you are, mind)..

As I said multiple times on here: if we end up with 85+ points this season and still don't win the PL, then fair enough. He put us in the position to win it and we competed, not our fault that City is on another level. To consider our season a failure in that case just because we didn't win it isn't right imo.

I'm actually quite opposed to trophies as the decisive criterium to analyse a manager's influence and impact on the team (and club as a whole). One mere League Cup wouldn't have changed the narrative or perspective regarding this Liverpool squad, even an FA Cup barely would. We need to win the CL or the PL. If he had won the League Cup final against City, it's not like it would make a difference (at least to me) in the grand scheme of things.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Ask yourself this: at the time of his appointment, did you expect him to get us to a CL and EL final within less than three full seasons? I bet you didn't, so it's unreasonable to consider him a failure right now because he hasn't won us a trophy (not saying you are, mind)..

I'm actually quite opposed to trophies as the decisive criterium to analyse a manager's influence and impact on the team (and club as a whole). One mere League Cup wouldn't have changed the narrative or perspective regarding this Liverpool squad, even an FA Cup barely would. We need to win the CL or the PL. If he had won the League Cup final against City, it's not like it would make a difference (at least to me) in the grand scheme of things.
I think you're severely underestimating the mental impact that winning even a minor competition like the League Cup has on a team. Your players have absolutely zero experience of getting over the line, and that experience is vital when it comes to winning the CL and PL.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I think you're severely underestimating the mental impact that winning even a minor competition like the League Cup has on a team. Your players have absolutely zero experience of getting over the line, and that experience is vital when it comes to winning the CL and PL.
Karius would've still had his butter hands in the CL final. If you're good enough, you're good enough. Having a winner's mentality certainly helps but disagree that it plays a major factor. We could've beaten Real on another day if fortune went our way, i.e. Karius was just decent and Salah didn't get injured. That's regardless of any League Cup success beforehand.

If Klopp gets fired tomorrow, people who think he's been a failure at Liverpool would still think he's been a failure at Liverpool even if he had won the League Cup, that was what I'm trying to say.

CA1

Agree that Klopp is doing well, disagree that a trophy wouldn't make a difference.

Liverpool are crying out for a cup win. I don't see a PL anytime soon with City around. CL is unlikely. The BBC would declare a national holiday if Klopp got to walk up the national stadium steps to claim a winning raffle ticket, never mind an FA Cup. The media arse lick the man.

As a United fan, I love the Liverpool trophies stat of the last 12 years. "One League Cup in 12 years" must surely be in my predicted texts for a WhatsApp Group of mine. Believe me, you want to win something to shut people like me up.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Its official, Liverpool could have won that final so losing it doesn't matter. If you really think about it Klopp has won 6 cup finals in a row.

Smores

Which managers are actually expected to win anything then? It seems these days only Pep and Jose are expected to win anything the rest all have endless excuses :houllier:

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Which managers are actually expected to win anything then? It seems these days only Pep and Jose are expected to win anything the rest all have endless excuses :houllier:
The top managers are expected to win something. Guardiola, Mourinho, Aleggri, Simeone, Valverde, Zidane etc.

The managers that obviously come short in aspects of management are paraded by their acolytes as top managers by focusing on the things they do well and making excuses for things they dont.

There were several in this thread saying that losing 6 finals in a row means nothing because 'Klopp wasn't favourite' and 'cup finals are a lottery'. It's like they are high on drugs whenever they watch games so have no clue how football works. Cup finals being a lottery is one of the most ludicrous things I've read on this forum, its the exact opposite of reality.

James Peril

As I said multiple times on here: if we end up with 85+ points this season and still don't win the PL, then fair enough. He put us in the position to win it and we competed, not our fault that City is on another level. To consider our season a failure in that case just because we didn't win it isn't right imo.

Very, very convenient thing to say - and very typical coming from a fan of a club that hasn’t won the league in 30 years. We hear this a lot from another set of fans as well, namely the ones following Tottenham. A club that hasn’t won the league since most of us were born. Trophies are everything - it creates a catalyst, a will to win more and never lose. Even a Carabao Cup means you’ve won something and know how to do it.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
If Klopp still hasn't won anything by May 2020, then I'll begin to see what some see regarding trophies.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
How much would he have spent by then? 1b?
No problem mate, he's a top manager until he has not won a trophy in 8 years :lol:. Conveniently he won't be Liverpool manager anymore so they'll have someone else to declare as their saviour.