Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Actually we do know that. Woodward viewed Klopp in very high regard and sounded him out personally (said he could manage adult Disneyland :lol:), he especially liked the low wage bill Dortmund had and was no doubt licking his chops at the financial miracles Klopp could accomplish.

Klopp chose Liverpool because he had less paperwork to sign and less commercial responsibilities.

I had talks with other clubs and they didn't sound like a football club. It sounded like marketing, image, you need to sign this, you need to sign that. And I thought 'wow, that's not the game I love'.

This basically rules him out of Madrid, Barca and United who are huge on marketing and image rights. The commercial work these 3 clubs do is huge. He can't handle being manager at a club like this.
Your still making an assumption and treating it as fact though. Just because Klopp possibly prefers to avoid jobs at the top teams doesn't mean he wouldn't succeed there. However I do agree that his style is probably best suited for a side like Dortmund or Liverpool, teams who aren't short on talent but are not the dominant sides in their league. He's a fantastic manager, so it's hard to say how he'd adapt if put in that situation.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Your still making an assumption and treating it as fact though. Just because Klopp possibly prefers to avoid jobs at the top teams doesn't mean he wouldn't succeed there. However I do agree that his style is probably best suited for a side like Dortmund or Liverpool, teams who aren't short on talent but are not the dominant sides in their league. He's a fantastic manager, so it's hard to say how he'd adapt if put in that situation.
Of course he could succeed with more resources, but the chances are lower. Klopp is a manager that does better in low pressure environments for a multitude of reasons, it is not an assumption but based on evidence.

- Klopp wants to concentrate on football, rather than being a face of a club (heavy commercial responsibilities)
- Klopp insists on easing new signings into the team, this is not possible at most top clubs where player power is prominent and big name signings will demand to play or complain to higher-ups
- Klopp believes in a slow gradual process, which will not be allowed at most top clubs, he would have to go against his own philosophy on management

Eric7C

Apologies if this has been posted before, but here is a nice little summary of the things that Klopp has blamed when results have not gone his way:
https://www.football365.com/news/six-daft-excuses-given-by-jurgen-klopp-for-liverpools-failings

It includes rain, snow, sun, television, officials (all managers blame them tbf) and injuries to opponents. I think the worst is when he accused West Brom of fighting for points against them and not simply rolling over because they were going to be relegated anyway. Liverpool fans should be reminded of that whenever they say the likes of Bournemouth don't try against City - your own manager thinks some clubs shouldn't!

Last edited:

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
A very good manager whose teams are better than the sum of their components. If you don't counter his tactics, you're in trouble.

However, and this has been evident since he joined, he has no plan B.

Negan

Apologies if this has been posted before, but here is a nice little summary of the things that Klopp has blamed when results have not gone his way:
https://www.football365.com/news/six-daft-excuses-given-by-jurgen-klopp-for-liverpools-failings

It includes rain, snow, sun, television, officials (all managers blame them tbf) and injuries to opponents. I think the worst is when he accused West Brom of fighting for points against them and not simply rolling over because they were going to be relegated anyway. Liverpool fans should be reminded of that whenever they say the likes of Bournemouth don't try against City - your own manager thinks some clubs shouldn't!
That line was a disgrace. How he wasn’t fined after that is beyond me. He was basically fuming that they didn’t match fix. :lol:

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal
For a Club like Man Utd to miss out on top 4 is something that will barely register in the grand scheme of things and will be a side note in the history of the league. Liverpool equaling and possibly finding momentum to beat Man Utds league record is something that will last forever..

Feck top 4 if it came to it.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
A very good manager whose teams are better than the sum of their components. If you don't counter his tactics, you're in trouble.

However, and this has been evident since he joined, he has no plan B.
There is a plan B... Blame the wind.

manunited1919

For a Club like Man Utd to miss out on top 4 is something that will barely register in the grand scheme of things and will be a side note in the history of the league. Liverpool equaling and possibly finding momentum to beat Man Utds league record is something that will last forever..

Feck top 4 if it came to it.
I would never want to see my club playing for a draw or for a loss, it would be a bigger disgrace. When we go out to the pitch, we must play for the win. Period.

Throwing games or trying to manage results that are out of our control can only come back and bite us.

SqueakyWeasel

Nice article. Klopp, we dodged a bullet there :lol:

Mind you, looks like it's silly season for PL managers? They're all at it …
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ttino-tottenham-disadvantage-champions-league

Josh 76

The way i look at it is, If Utd lose to City, we still have a great chance finishing in the top 4. If City lose, that would be more crucial for them not winning the league. Psychology City winning at Old Trafford would be massive for them.
So city it is for me.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
Since when was Top 4 a trophy?

We’re in the Champions League RIGHT NOW. How about we win it this year and stop worrying about next year. That would be too simple right?
We aren't going to win it this year. We have too many weaknesses in our squad. If we get in next year it'll give us the chance to reinforce and have a better chance next year.

For a start it will take a near miracle to best PSG without half of our first xi

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
The implication of 'he only manages Dortmund and Liverpool' is that he would do better at a club with less restrictions which is practically proven false with Klopp turning down a club with less restrictions.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/10/12/jurgen-klopp-turned-chance-manage-man-utd/

Jurgen Klopp was asked to succeed SAF, he was going to inherit a title winning squad and get a truckload of money. A long time acquaintance of Klopp from Mainz said that Klopp's dream team to manage in England would be Manchester United. The only logical explanation is that he chose Liverpool because that was his highest chance of success. This makes him managing teams with less money irrelevant because that is his path of least resistance.

I believe come the end of the season the reason for his reluctance to manager elite clubs will be confirmed (with Liverpool finishing 2nd). Liverpool spent £150m in the summer and might not have a trophy to show for it, that signals the end of your tenure at a club like Madrid, Barca, United etc. Liverpool will probably be fine with Klopp because of their trophy drought. However, they aren't the plucky underdogs anymore with breaking world record fees for defenders and goalkeeper.
What is wrong with a reluctance to manage elite clubs? Even if that's what he is choosing, it's still impressive he's capable of getting teams to compete with sides who can spend much more. Why would him having a preference for the type of club he wants to manage make his coaching abilities irrelevant? I don't think the only logical explanation is that he feels Liverpool was his greatest chance of success, lots of factors go in to why you would choose a job, maybe United was his dream once but then he saw the realities of the club and it didn't appeal to him? That doesn't = he would fail if given a chance at United, he's a superb coach, I think there are few clubs he would outright fail at.

This is untrue, you finished 2nd under Mourinho last season having spent a fortune and IIRC he was given a new contract? Despite finishing on far less points than Klopp likely will. Maybe it signals the end of your tenure at a super club where a world class team is set up and ready to go, but no manager is being sacked for finishing on 90 odd points but missing out to Man City, unless the board are incompetent. They aren't plucky underdogs no, but they are clearly at a massive disadvantage compared to City, so expecting them to finish ahead of them is unrealistic.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
This place amazes me... you can't openly admit you'd want us to lose against City. What sort of United fans are ya?

I'll admit it wouldn't piss me off as much as normal but I still want to beat them. Liverpool will slip up anyway, and we need top 4.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
This place amazes me... you can't openly admit you'd want us to lose against City. What sort of United fans are ya?

I'll admit it wouldn't piss me off as much as normal but I still want to beat them. Liverpool will slip up anyway, and we need top 4.
This!

The PL will be what it will. We need the 3 points

EvertonFan

They're bottling it.

Never have I known an away section to be so quiet/nervous at Goodison!

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty

I'd be happy if we won because it's City.

I'd be happy if we lost because it'll likely make it harder for Liverpool to win the league.

Best case scenario is City have some breathing room by then anyway.

Stacks

Actually we do know that. Woodward viewed Klopp in very high regard and sounded him out personally (said he could manage adult Disneyland :lol:), he especially liked the low wage bill Dortmund had and was no doubt licking his chops at the financial miracles Klopp could accomplish.

Klopp chose Liverpool because he had less paperwork to sign and less commercial responsibilities.

I had talks with other clubs and they didn't sound like a football club. It sounded like marketing, image, you need to sign this, you need to sign that. And I thought 'wow, that's not the game I love'.

This basically rules him out of Madrid, Barca and United who are huge on marketing and image rights. The commercial work these 3 clubs do is huge. He can't handle being manager at a club like this.
He wants an easier job with less pressure to win

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal
The media is finally cottoning on to this spoofer and his ridiculous moaning. It’ll be glorious if we get a few more tantrums before season’s end (which I think we will). :drool:
I’m looking forward to a Keegan-esque style breakdown, but coming from Klopp it’d be of epic, studio smashing proportions.

Eric7C

SqueakyWeasel

Yep, all managers moan, and at least Poch has some justification here. I think Fergie used to say too that the league didn't support the English clubs in Europe very well. But Klopp's moaning is just bizarre - very fitting of RAWK one might say.
My point was that one team played Friday night (except for the last fixture I believe there is always a Friday night game in the BL) the other Saturday lunchtime (the earliest spot available for PL games that weekend). It was a matter of hours difference, it's not as if Spurs had to play Sunday and they were taking a 3 goal aggregate advantage into the game.
Although I do take your point about Klopp, he'd probably want both legs played at home.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany

Well, our legendary manager once made a borderline racist comment after he lost, but yea Klopp is a disgrace for saying West Brom tried too hard (which he admitted later on, as the article says, was a ridiculous thing to say). Managers say sh*t in the heat of the moment when they don't get what they want. Try to find me one successful saint of a manager, other than Ole :D

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Well, our legendary manager once made a borderline racist comment after he lost, but yea Klopp is a disgrace for saying West Brom tried too hard (which he admitted later on, as the article says, was a ridiculous thing to say). Managers say sh*t in the heat of the moment when they don't get what they want. Try to find me one successful saint of a manager, other than Ole :D
"Typical Germans" that one? Is that Racist?

Red00012

I’m looking forward to a Keegan-esque style breakdown, but coming from Klopp it’d be of epic, studio smashing proportions.
It would be better than Keegan I reckon, all we need is the sky sports reporter to throw in a dig about the excuses . Popcorn at the ready

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Is the answer to Kevin's question 'the wind'?

Eric7C

My point was that one team played Friday night (except for the last fixture I believe there is always a Friday night game in the BL) the other Saturday lunchtime (the earliest spot available for PL games that weekend). It was a matter of hours difference, it's not as if Spurs had to play Sunday and they were taking a 3 goal aggregate advantage into the game.
Although I do take your point about Klopp, he'd probably want both legs played at home.
Yeah, true.

Ole, in contrast, said today that he hoped the the referee got the penalty decision right. He is a cut above this lot.

United Hobbit

Not sure of the weather up there but its blowing a gale down here. Awaiting wind excuse number 3 added to "Allisson was impeded"

Predicting it early

According to the BBC text commentary rain and hail showers were forecast we haven't had either of those as an excuse yet ;)

No doubt they will get a lucky offside goal or penalty and win though :rolleyes: