Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
The early posts in this thread are like reading about a completely different manager.

Smores

"Why can't United play the way I want them to so I can easily beat them" :(
The vast majority on here were moaning about the same thing in recent years. It can't be a shock that outsiders still don't like it and they haven't all decided it's acceptable because Ole is in charge.

Personally I'm in favour of whatever it takes to beat them.

Johnny Love

I wouldn't be surprised United win this game, end the streak and then get trashed 3 days later vs Burnley lolol.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Klopp is trolling a bit of course, but it wasn't that long ago that there was outrage at mourinhos loser mentality when he would park the bus and play for a draw against at old trafford. When solskjaer did it this season, it was apparently one of the results of the season.

Different at Anfield of course. Ferguson also went there at times playing for a draw. Still think solskjaer has gotten into some of your lot too much. Where Moyes failed, solskjaer seems to be succeeding at lowering standards across the board.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Klopp is trolling a bit of course, but it wasn't that long ago that there was outrage at mourinhos loser mentality when he would park the bus and play for a draw against at old trafford. When solskjaer did it this season, it was apparently one of the results of the season.

Different at Anfield of course. Ferguson also went there at times playing for a draw. Still think solskjaer has gotten into some of your lot too much. Where Moyes failed, solskjaer seems to be succeeding at lowering standards across the board.
Moyes would kill to have one result as good as the big games Ole has won. He's an entirely different low, worse than Hodgson at Liverpool.

podurban2

I lost you at Moyes.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

There's a difference between playing for a draw and playing defensive. Mou in that 0-0 (the one where Rom had the only chance for us), was playing for a draw and hence people criticized him, whereas Mou in the 2-1 win at OT later that season was us having set up defensively, and taking advantage of their weaknesses

macheda14

You realise that perceptions change due to the situation? Under Jose there was some perception that United were the better team (for a season) or at least equals to you. However, under Ole you are now arguably one of the best, if not the best, teams in the world. Taking points off you is one of THE results of the season, because we're the only team who has done it. It's a shame that we have fallen so far behind, but you celebrate results relative to your level.

Gazza

There's a pretty clear and obvious difference here, in that Mourinho was working with teams that were at the cusp of their development cycles, with players that he'd bought in for no small sum of money, and chose a strategy of negation and bringing the opponent down to that level. I have no real love for how we play under Solskjaer but it's unfiar to say it's the same kind of thing -- the Utd squad and the stage we are at in our development are clearly several levels below LFC at the moment, so our options are somewhat reduced in terms of getting a result.

Not much wrong with what you've said regarding standards at the club, but that's got nothing to do with going to Anfield with a kamikaze strategy.

Lynty

If we had quality to go toe to toe with them, then yes, I'd be outraged at a defensive performance. We don't, so i'd love us to get a 1-0 win with 10 men camped in our 18yard box for the final 10mins.

The difference is, Jose used to park the bus against sides of similar quality. When Di Matteo parked the bus against Barca in 2012 CL semis, it was understandable.

iHicksy

It's funny because the majority of the time we went to Anfield and parked the bus under SAF and tried to hit them on the break. We were often happy to come away from there with a draw. No one expected a win as a given, even at our peak. It's one of the most hostile stadiums on earth. So this is absolute rubbish about "it's strange that United" as if it's something new. He's saying it to put pressure on us / make the fans put pressure on Ole to attack and play right into their hands. He hates to play against counter attacking teams as it doesn't suit their game plan and they aren't great at countering it.

Red Storm Rising

Liverpool's decline / rebuild job would still be a good 4-5 years away, their core players are 26-28, giving them at least a good 3-4 years even for their oldest players.

I was hoping Klopp left in 2022 after his usual 7 years, but unfortunately doesn't seem to be the case. Whether he stays longer to rebuild or leaves is anyone's guess, but of course a rebuild will be hard, even SAF struggled around 03-05. But like SAF Klopp seems to sign players remarkably well, so if he did stay for a long time I don't see why he couldn't do it.
There's a lot of worry on here about Liverpool's rebuilding "problem", which smacks of trying to divert attention from the current (real) problem of having a Liverpool side that are easing themselves into their first PL trophy for 30 years...

The news doesn't get better for those who don't like 'pool. When they played their kids (who were well and truly beaten against Villa, and who did surprisingly well against Everton), we finally got some public insight about how the internals are all set up. The kids regularly play the first team in training, and they're apparently ahead this year. Each "kid" is groomed to slot into a specific place in the first team, semi-regularly trains with the guy who holds that place (and those that normally sit on the bench) and gets familiar with the style of play and requirements he'd need to step up and claim it for himself. Playing against the guy who's holding that place down gives a clear idea of where the kid is, relatively speaking. Klopp knows where he needs reinforcements and where he can develop internally.

It's not radical stuff, I'm sure loads of clubs do it, but it's apparently new for Liverpool - before Klopp the kids (generally) trained separately, and only the coaches regularly met. This whole philosophy of progressively stepping up from young age to old, with *specific* goals and targets is new, at least to Liverpool.

And here, I can offer some insight that isn't often made publicly available. My kid (10 going on 11) is in one of the Liverpool academy over here in the US in the Bay Area, CA. In 2016 when Liverpool came over to play their Summer tour, they beat AC Milan in the Levi's stadium here in Santa Clara. The day after the match, Klopp and co were at the Sunday training for the kids (yes the *real* kids, including the 7-year olds). He was crouching down, giving advice to these little kids about how to improve their play as a team rather than individually, was talking to the trainers (most of whom are ex-pros) about the kids, and taking a genuine interest in how things were going. The Liverpool academy here was pretty skills-focussed before this (you needed to master a given technique before you'd go on to do something else). There's still an element of that now, but the focus changed after Klopp's visit to make it more focussed on how the team as a whole performs.

Now the chances of my kid ever playing for, well, anyone is vanishingly remote. He plays with his team because he loves the sport, but realistically he's got a better chance in life by doing well at school. Still, he got advice from Klopp about how and when to run, and how that would help his team, (in conjunction with a couple of his team-mates; they were all told that *if* this happens, *and* they can do *this*, then... etc.) and the same advice was clearly given to the trainers, because it became a staple of how the team now trains (we train 3 times per week and have a game every weekend, so I get to watch a lot :)). There was and is a marked difference in how they play their game - I mean it's constantly evolving, but the running approach, the support offered to team-mates, and the ethos of "us" rather than "me" definitely changed from the training perspective.

So if he's willing to take the time to help out a bunch of kids on the opposite side of the planet, only loosely associated with LFC, I can only imagine the effect he has on the *actual* academy day-in, day-out. It's a truism that you can't focus on everything in this life, but somehow he does seem to be able to focus on everything he's doing at the time he's doing it. He also seems to have a plan for how everything should fit together - maybe not in detail, but at a level that lets things just gel together without too much friction.

And then of course, he's also got all the options in the transfer market, where he's had pretty good results too.

I honestly don't think that Liverpool have been in a better situation with regard to long-term progress ever - and I've been watching them now for 45 years. Even if (when) he goes, if the same team ethos can be carried over (it's been 4 years now since he was last this far west in the US and the impact is still obvious from that one visit), the future will be bright indeed.

Well, this turned out to be far longer than I'd expected when I started, sorry for that :) I'll finish with one more observation - in person, he's a lot fecking taller than he appears on telly!

Last edited:
Reactions: Sultan

Ban

You got your fair amount of replies so I'll keep it short: Quit wumming.

bondsname

Klopp is just provoking us to have a proper go at them with that comment, like we have the same amount of quality has they have. They would absolutely destroy us if we just gave them a little bit of space, look what happened to Leicester. Keeping it tight and compact in our half is exactly what we should do in my opinion.

Hope Ole doesn't fall for it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If he thinks we've lined up defensively before, he'll have a shock Sunday.

We're going to have to totally rely on launching James and Martial.

KGBhoy

I always have a problem when people say that parking the bus is wrong. It all depends on the opponent. I certainly don't want us to play high line against Liverpool. That's suicide.
What's more worrying is that if we do go behind, do we have a plan B? I think that's where Ole struggles - what happens when we have to chase the game against a quality opponent.

Josh 76

Klopp is just provoking us to have a proper go at them with that comment, like we have the same amount of quality has they have. They would absolutely destroy us if we just gave them a little bit of space, look what happened to Leicester. Keeping it tight and compact in our half is exactly what we should do in my opinion.

Hope Ole doesn't fall for it.
Its not like Ole has a choice.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
There's a difference between playing for a draw and playing defensive. Mou in that 0-0 (the one where Rom had the only chance for us), was playing for a draw and hence people criticized him, whereas Mou in the 2-1 win at OT later that season was us having set up defensively, and taking advantage of their weaknesses
Not much of a difference to be honest

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I think Liverpool has been very afraid to play a high tempo against us, the last few years... like he doesn't want to lose against us. Him blaming us, saying we're defensive is just an obvious distraction so he wont get criticised by his own fans for not having a go at us.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I always have a problem when people say that parking the bus is wrong. It all depends on the opponent. I certainly don't want us to play high line against Liverpool. That's suicide.
What's more worrying is that if we do go behind, do we have a plan B? I think that's where Ole struggles - what happens when we have to chase the game against a quality opponent.
Exactly. Teams that play high agaisnt Liverpool are getting beaten.
Absolutely right to play on the counter attack against them.
Klopp is trying reverse psychology isn't he!

Dick Dastardly

Supports
Wrexham
Probably not a popular statement but I like Klopp. Always positive, brilliant with the press, aggressive on the touch line and tactical magician.
Would be a huge success wherever he goes.
If he genuinely turned MUFC down it’s the fault of the clubs hierarch.

montpelier

He's saying that Utd tactics indicate that they are scared because they are inferior - he's saying this to both teams and the World. It isn't about the tactics or trying to provoke a change, imo. And it says that Liverpool can play on the break too, if they need to. Its all psychological. It doesn't have to reference any previous results either. Even if they won, Utd used scared tactics.

He's a cnut.

Gasolin

He's saying that Utd tactics indicate that they are scared because they are inferior - he's saying this to both teams and the World. It isn't about the tactics or trying to provoke a change, imo. And it says that Liverpool can play on the break too, if they need to. Its all psychological. It doesn't have to reference any previous results either. Even if they won, Utd used scared tactics.

He's a cnut.
He’s a cnut, everything else is BS. The boys will be focused and will have a go, only we will have a go to go score and hurt them each f******* time. Ole better be instilling extra confidence and drive to the team. We are going there to hurt them with goals. If that means defending, sure, just stay compact and go again, we can overrun them.

MetoTTT

You realise that perceptions change due to the situation? Under Jose there was some perception that United were the better team (for a season) or at least equals to you. However, under Ole you are now arguably one of the best, if not the best, teams in the world. Taking points off you is one of THE results of the season, because we're the only team who has done it. It's a shame that we have fallen so far behind, but you celebrate results relative to your level.
Agree. How painful, that reminds me Stevie kissing the camera vs Giggsy kissing trophies...

Walters_19_MuFc

Yeah because we're going to just play right into your hands Klopp, you absolute pratt.

Hopefully he orders meat and we give him fish again.

kidbob

The funny thing is that they are a functional team with a very good defense. Watch Liverpool the last years and you'll realise that their football is basic with a lot of long balls and crosses. They are nowhere near as good a 'footballing' team as Klopp's Dortmund were. So clearly he has learned from his mistakes. In terms of PL sides they are closer to 05 Chelsea than they are to 06 United or invincible Arsenal. Klopp is accusing teams of what they are guilty of.

Our front 3 has outscored theirs so far despite the fact we are shite.

Like it or not City are the best footballing team in the League and Liverpool are just ruthlessly efficient (but they are an amazing team).

At OT this year we had by far the best chances in the game (a game of very few chances) and they scored at their only chance. The idea that they are a 'super' exciting and progressive team is bullshit. They are basically a very good long ball, crossing team with quick forwards.

They played better football 3 years ago before they became challengers.

Klopp loves to believe that they are a 'Pep' side when reality is that they are Stoke with better players in style.

JDoe

Supports
Bayern
Klopp in being a cnut shocker.
Been always like this to his rivals. He (and everyone else) knows that playing an open game against Liverpool is absolutely suicidal, this has been their game since Klopp arrived and they still show that they are by far the best team in the league (and world) when given the chance to play that way. Ole has set United up exactly how you should play against them (exposing their lack of individual players compared to the other past great teams) and could easily have won the first game.

Could see another draw or even an upset here if United are defending well like last time. You'll miss the pure pace of Rashford though.

Boitol

It's funny because the majority of the time we went to Anfield and parked the bus under SAF and tried to hit them on the break. We were often happy to come away from there with a draw. No one expected a win as a given, even at our peak. It's one of the most hostile stadiums on earth. So this is absolute rubbish about "it's strange that United" as if it's something new. He's saying it to put pressure on us / make the fans put pressure on Ole to attack and play right into their hands. He hates to play against counter attacking teams as it doesn't suit their game plan and they aren't great at countering it.
20 wins from 21 with more playing that way. Come on man. The comment was because United are a big club.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid

I was thinking the same about how worked up they were at Mourinho style of play and it does seem you've touched a sensible fiber judging by the responses you're getting.