Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

MsNuno

Supports
Wolves
Imagine if a premier league game was postponed and the only time to play it was during the break! Would he have a hissy fit and refuse to use senior players or manage it?
He devalues the cup and disrespects Shrewsbury and gets away with it. The leagues won so why not put a little effort into the fa cup.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Klopp has taken a stance from a position of strength in a season where everything is going right so in that regard is obviously not sour grapes. He obviously pre-planned the club's position prior to telling the media about it after the cup game on Sunday. This comes after sustained criticism from Klopp about the number of games players have to play. It's pretty clear that he's been working on this issue (probably with several other managers) for a while behind the scenes. He' not the only one who thinks fixtures are nuts in this country.

The issue with this whole FA Cup thing is that the debate instantly becomes tribal. A lot of the commentary around the debate becomes anti-Liverpool noise with the usual tropes rolled out. We then find ourselves in the same position as before with nothing resolved because people are happier to play tribal-politics than actually debate the merits of the issue at hand.

In truth, when SAF complained about similar stuff (again from a position of strength) he was also subjected to tribal nonsense - although social media wasn't quite what it is today.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
It's a decision managers have to take. In 2009 we played a FA Cup semi-final, at Wembley, against Everton. Our team that day: Foster, Rafael Da Silva, Ferdinand, Vidic, Fabio Da Silva, Welbeck, Gibson, Anderson, Park, Tevez, Macheda. Not an U23 team, and SAF did attend, and it was a SF against Everton, not a (basically self-inflicted) R4 replay against Shrewsbury. We lost on penalties.

It's just football life. Not many teams win trebles and SAF frequently lost cup ties or ended up with an unwelcome replay, or a tougher European run, because we played a weakened team or the mindset of the players was wrong.

Hopefully Shrewsbury will win, save Klopp the hassle of showing up for another match, and everyone will be happy.

MoXoM

After all is said and done, Liverpool will still win the match anyway...

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Poor diddums is tired, he doesn’t even play ffs. I understand resting the players but resting a manager? The kids would love to be managed by him if even for only 1 FA Cup match. It’s a bit of huffing from Klopp imo

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They have players needing gametime, who would then get a 10 day break. He got Salah on 10mins before deciding they didn't care at all.
They have a game at the end of those 10 days...are they supposed to show on saturday for the game straight from holidays?

Siorac

We played 63 games in 10 months and won 3 trophies in 1999. Coming off a World Cup year as well. Liverpool can go feck themselves.
Perhaps not the best example given that we then withdrew from the FA Cup in 2000 because of fixture congestion.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
It's just football life. Not many teams win trebles and SAF frequently lost cup ties or ended up with an unwelcome replay, or a tougher European run, because we played a weakened team or the mindset of the players was wrong.
Could you not argue that, in truth, using SAF is false equivalency as there's never been an agreed winter break before? The PL have written to clubs to say they aren't allowed to play a game in the fortnight of the break. The FA then place replays in that exact window. Two authorities have conflicting agendas. This is pretty unprecedented territory.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Could you not argue that, in truth, using SAF is false equivalency as there's never been an agreed winter break before? The PL have written to clubs to say they aren't allowed to play a game in the fortnight of the break. The FA then place replays in that exact window. Two authorities have conflicting agendas. This is pretty unprecedented territory.
Nah, it's pretty much standard territory. Manager gambles by playing a weakened team, gets lumbered with a replay. The replay is being played in its scheduled timeslot. It's only the PL matches that were scheduled to create a gap - clubs were asked not to use that gap as a chance to sneak in a friendly as a moneyspinner. The FA Cup isn't a friendly. If Klopp wants to play the U23s in the replay he can, just like he could have played a stronger team in the original match.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Nah, it's pretty much standard territory. Manager gambles by playing a weakened team, gets lumbered with a replay. The replay is being played in its scheduled timeslot. It's only the PL matches that were scheduled to create a gap - clubs were asked not to use that gap as a chance to sneak in a friendly as a moneyspinner. The FA Cup isn't a friendly. If Klopp wants to play the U23s in the replay he can, just like he could have played a stronger team in the original match.
As the winter break is brand new it's not standard territory. That's Klopp's whole rationale - he was told he must give players a break but the FA have contradicted the PL's directive. Surely - regardless of allegiance -people can acknowledge that this is clearly an administrative issue. As was the League Cup nonsense when it clashed with Qatar.

These cups are struggling for identity and credibility yet they operate with the sophistication of a village league. Klopp coming out like this (aside from the largely confected rival fan fume around the issue) is a nightmare for the FA - which is why he's doing it. He's making an example of them. Plus, I bet this nonsense isn't repeated next season - which is to the benefit of every club.

montpelier

They have a game at the end of those 10 days...are they supposed to show on saturday for the game straight from holidays?
Yes, not a problem if its just to sit on the bench is it? If they come home after the First XI rather than at the same time.

Even then, they could jump in a taxi at John Lennon Airport.

FujiVice

Perhaps not the best example given that we then withdrew from the FA Cup in 2000 because of fixture congestion.
We withdrew because the FA told us to, to help their bid for the 2006 World Cup. Not because we wanted to. We still played 63 games that year, as well, regardless of the FA Cup withdrawl.

Siorac

We withdrew because the FA told us to, to help their bid for the 2006 World Cup. Not because we wanted to. We still played 63 games that year, as well, regardless of the FA Cup withdrawl.
We withdrew because we didn't want to risk having to play reserve players in the 4th round of the FA Cup. We were pressured to participate in the Club World Cup, not to withdraw from the FA Cup because of it. We just made a decision to protect our players - a correct decision, in my opinion.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yes, not a problem if its just to sit on the bench is it? If they come home after the First XI rather than at the same time.

Even then, they could jump in a taxi at John Lennon Airport.
They aren't going to sit on the bench for the premier league game, are they? Two weeks break means they get one week off. The other week they're back on the training ground to train and prepare for the upcoming game

The FA scheduled the replay in their off week. It's entirely natural that Klopp would prioritize the already planned for week off for the team over an insignificant game. If the FA had scheduled the replay for the 12th, that would have been a different story

Now Klopp himself not involving himself in the game is another matter entirely, that's harder to justify. Obviously it's a grand gesture of protest on his part. One that's easy enough to understand but i think misguided

He should be moaning about the farcical winter break instead, which doesn't fix anything. The PL needs to get a real winter break after boxing day, which is by far the worse part of the schedule and the one that causes the most long-lasting damage.

By all means, keep up the boxing day games, and even the new year ones, but makes sure to give teams at least 3 days rest between games and give them their winter break afterwards. It's that 4 games in 8 days that really feck up with fitness and conditioning

crossy1686

career ending
Poor diddums is tired, he doesn’t even play ffs. I understand resting the players but resting a manager? The kids would love to be managed by him if even for only 1 FA Cup match. It’s a bit of huffing from Klopp imo
He's only got to stand on the touch line and look remotely interested for one match. Disrespectful really.

DAK222

Supports
Liverpool
He's only got to stand on the touch line and look remotely interested for one match. Disrespectful really.
Maybe he's one of those people who are not capable of doing a half-baked job like you suggest? Wouldn't someone whose plan is to "stand on the touch line and look remotely interested for one match" be way more disrespectful than someone who says - "without the rest I can't do the job properly, so can someone else take over for a bit"?

montpelier

They aren't going to sit on the bench for the premier league game, are they? Two weeks break means they get one week off. The other week they're back on the training ground to train and prepare for the upcoming game

The FA scheduled the replay in their off week. It's entirely natural that Klopp would prioritize the already planned for week off for the team over an insignificant game. If the FA had scheduled the replay for the 12th, that would have been a different story

Now Klopp himself not involving himself in the game is another matter entirely, that's harder to justify. Obviously it's a grand gesture of protest on his part. One that's easy enough to understand but i think misguided

He should be moaning about the farcical winter break instead, which doesn't fix anything. The PL needs to get a real winter break after boxing day, which is by far the worse part of the schedule and the one that causes the most long-lasting damage.

By all means, keep up the boxing day games, and even the new year ones, but makes sure to give teams at least 3 days rest between games and give them their winter break afterwards. It's that 4 games in 8 days that really feck up with fitness and conditioning
You want them back a full week early, it's hardly worth going!!! And I did only mean Lovren and whoever else, to theoretically anyway, strengthen up his u23s.
You're right with everything else though, I would think.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Maybe he has another emergency hair transplant booked during that break. It’s all going a bit Rooney up there.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think like most people I get giving the players time off, but it sends a bad message to the young players when your manager can’t even be arsed to be there for their opportunity to play.

Josep Dowling

Did you see Klopp on the sidelines vs Everton ? I've never seen a more relaxed manager, he was acting like it was a world xi charity match laughing on the sidelines. The man treats the competition as a joke. If I was on the Liverpool board I'd be absolutely fuming at the possibility of him missing a first team game, what sort of message does that send out, not only to the outside world but to the young boys he's going to play ? But it wouldn't surprise me for the owners to bend backwards for Jurgen and let him have his own way after his successes.
The board don't care because the FA cup brings no revenue in.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Did you see Klopp on the sidelines vs Everton ? I've never seen a more relaxed manager, he was acting like it was a world xi charity match laughing on the sidelines. The man treats the competition as a joke. If I was on the Liverpool board I'd be absolutely fuming at the possibility of him missing a first team game, what sort of message does that send out, not only to the outside world but to the young boys he's going to play ? But it wouldn't surprise me for the owners to bend backwards for Jurgen and let him have his own way after his successes.
According to the Athletic, the reponse had been coordinated with the owners beforehand, in the event we didn't win the game.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
You want them back a full week early, it's hardly worth going!!!
They have 2 weeks between games. Not two weeks of break. Seriously, players aren't just going to show up for the game on the 15th after 2 weeks of holiday

Paul_Scholes18

The board don't care because the FA cup brings no revenue in.
True. Just sad that many clubs only care about money and do not care about the true fans at all.
It is the same with us too regarding transfers, but we still try to win the cups with minimal squad. Only LVG ignored the cups at the start for us, but after the Mk Dons defeat he took them seriously.
City goes for the cups hard, but they already have the extra funding and want to win over making money directly (will probably give them more money in the long run).
Leicester go for them even though they have a tiny squad.

The only teams that cares about them minimally as Liverpool looks to be Brighton, Palace, Bournemouth,Watford and Burnley who just wants to stay up and are far from good enough to win it.
Although other sides near the bottom tries more for them than Pool does. Not sure Villa counts for trying since they had to play Liverpool kids to reach the cup semi.

montpelier

They have 2 weeks between games. Not two weeks of break. Seriously, players aren't just going to show up for the game on the 15th after 2 weeks of holiday
But they don't have to be back a week early if they've gone somewhere to train together - which I read somewhere wasn't happening anyway btw. It's proper time off and not going into Melwood. The Lovren only lose 3 days. If that's only half the holiday, they haven't been playing anyway and it's bad for the team they miss more?

I wouldn't be totally amazed if some of them 'ask to play' tbh.

CognitiveNeuro

Why can't Klopp just go to the game? Seriously, if the excuse is about players needing rest...why does he miss the game? He isn't playing.

lysglimt

Scout
I agree with Klopp in the "not using first-team players" part.

I do not agree with Klopp in the "I wont be there" part

Ludens the Red

Klopp has taken a stance from a position of strength in a season where everything is going right so in that regard is obviously not sour grapes. He obviously pre-planned the club's position prior to telling the media about it after the cup game on Sunday. This comes after sustained criticism from Klopp about the number of games players have to play. It's pretty clear that he's been working on this issue (probably with several other managers) for a while behind the scenes. He' not the only one who thinks fixtures are nuts in this country.

The issue with this whole FA Cup thing is that the debate instantly becomes tribal. A lot of the commentary around the debate becomes anti-Liverpool noise with the usual tropes rolled out. We then find ourselves in the same position as before with nothing resolved because people are happier to play tribal-politics than actually debate the merits of the issue at hand.

In truth, when SAF complained about similar stuff (again from a position of strength) he was also subjected to tribal nonsense - although social media wasn't quite what it is today.
Maximum number of domestic games all competitions in the major leagues.
England - 51
Spain - 49 (Super Cup now scheduled outside the continent before end of winter break)
Italy - 44 (Super Cup scheduled in Jan outside the continent )
France - 45 (Super Cup scheduled outside the continent)
Germany - 41

So basically Klopp has come from Germany who play less games than anyone else. Essentially this guy would bitch and moan if he managed anywhere abroad not called Germany.

Only two less games in Spain than England and in Spain and Italy they now feck off outside the continent in January to play in the super cup. Can’t imagine what Klopp would make of that.

People moan about the Christmas games but the thing is that In Italy and Spain they don’t get a lot of midweeks off because they have to schedule all those league games (not played during break) and cup ties at some point and it’ll be during midweeks.

Sir Alex was around for almost thirty years and I can count on my hand the amount of times he moaned about fixtures. Klopp has been here five minutes and is constantly whinging.

There are other managers having to deal with this obviously less than ideal situation and the FA do need to come up with a solution but it is obviously something clubs were warned about.

However all other managers seem to have begrudgingly accepted it and moved on. But that’s not enough for Klopp, he has to make a big song and dance about it and basically say his annual leave is too important to turn up for the replay...

If it’s such a massive massive hindrance on his life perhaps he should go back to Germany for the life of 10 weeks off in a year , Bayern need a manager after all.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
But they don't have to be back a week early if they've gone somewhere to train together - which I read somewhere wasn't happening anyway btw. It's proper time off and not going into Melwood. The Lovren only lose 3 days. If that's only half the holiday, they haven't been playing anyway and it's bad for the team they miss more?

I wouldn't be totally amazed if some of them 'ask to play' tbh.
? They're off that week. It's meant for resting. Meaning no training, no nothing(well, they'll atill have to keep fitness, on their own, and eat well). What you're saying is some players should show up for the game anyways, on 3 days without training, to be on the bench? What's the point of that?

alexthelion

Yes. The club asked for a postponement, the FA refused and Fergie didn't want to risk young players getting pummelled at Anfield or Maine Road or some other nightmare scenario like that.
Thought we offered to play reserves/junior players but the FA said no.

Siorac

Thought we offered to play reserves/junior players but the FA said no.
Fergie wrote in his autobiography that it was the club's decision because he didn't want to risk youngsters getting an embarassing hiding at a place like Anfield or Elland Road.

He also said that initially, no one at United had been interested in even going to Brazil.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Maximum number of domestic games all competitions in the major leagues.
England - 51
Spain - 49 (Super Cup now scheduled outside the continent before end of winter break)
Italy - 44 (Super Cup scheduled in Jan outside the continent )
France - 45 (Super Cup scheduled outside the continent)
Germany - 41
Spain is down to 47 now

Also Italy has 3 midweek gamedays, Spain has 4(because they play the cup final in the middle of the season this year)

Both do have the extra 5 midweek cup games though, yeah

Both also give their teams a full 10+ days of holidays between christmass and new year

montpelier

? They're off that week. It's meant for resting. Meaning no training, no nothing(well, they'll atill have to keep fitness, on their own, and eat well). What you're saying is some players should show up for the game anyways, on 3 days without training, to be on the bench? What's the point of that?
I'd play some of the fringe guys. I'm only meaning them, the ones that would be or are, then going on the 1st team break.

Lovren, Shaqiri, the GK Adrian - why can't they play rather than being on 1st team break?

Is what I'm saying or asking.