Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

Paul_Scholes18

I'd play some of the fringe guys. I'm only meaning them, the ones that would be or are, then going on the 1st team break.

Lovren, Shaqiri, the GK Adrian - why can't they play rather than being on 1st team break?

Is what I'm saying or asking.
It would be better for them to play probably. Although Klopp is not rational here.
He just want his own personal rest so tries everything to justify it.

crossy1686

career ending
Maybe he's one of those people who are not capable of doing a half-baked job like you suggest? Wouldn't someone whose plan is to "stand on the touch line and look remotely interested for one match" be way more disrespectful than someone who says - "without the rest I can't do the job properly, so can someone else take over for a bit"?
"Yeah I'm not coming to work today, I can't be arsed really. Send in a replacement for me, cheers"

If he had any professionalism about him he'd turn up and do it like many other managers before him have done despite not wanting to be there either.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I'd play some of the fringe guys. I'm only meaning them, the ones that would be or are, then going on the 1st team break.

Lovren, Shaqiri, the GK Adrian - why can't they play rather than being on 1st team break?

I think Klopp is trying to make the point that breakxit means breakxit, thus putting every first teamer, including staff and himself on a break for the originally intended amount of time. Maybe I'm being generous with him, but showing up himself or using Lovren or Shaqiri would defeat that purpose.

Last edited:

montpelier

I think Klopp is trying to make the point that breakxit means breakxit, thus putting every first teamer, including staff and himself on a break for the originally intended amount of time. Maybe I'm being generous with him, but showing up himself or using Lovre or Shaqiri would defeat that purpose.
Yes, my idea weakens the purity of his argument/showboating I suppose.

DAK222

Supports
Liverpool
"Yeah I'm not coming to work today, I can't be arsed really. Send in a replacement for me, cheers"
Well, yes that's how it works if you are taking a holiday you'd already agreed with your employer?

If he had any professionalism about him he'd turn up and do it like many other managers before him have done despite not wanting to be there either.
Well, no. If he doesn't want to be there but turns up to manage, the players will sense it and you'll get a performance that reflects that. Surely a Utd fan who witnessed the Mourinho era at Utd will understand this. It's completely up to the club whether they are okay with Klopp doing this because they employ him. Fans are free to vote with their feet.

Paul_Scholes18

I think Klopp is trying to make the point that breakxit means breakxit, thus putting every first teamer, including staff and himself on a break for the originally intended amount of time. Maybe I'm being generous with him, but showing up himself or using Lovren or Shaqiri would defeat that purpose.
That is just the silly thing though. He thinks it is more important to make a point than actually do what is best for his club.
He is not alone in that. We have seen Mourinho be stubborn about things and even SAF. Pep too stubborn about his way of playing, but that is a different thing.

They get away with it since they have won things.

Paul_Scholes18

Well, yes that's how it works if you are taking a holiday you'd already agreed with your employer?

Well, no. If he doesn't want to be there but turns up to manage, the players will sense it and you'll get a performance that reflects that. Surely a Utd fan who witnessed the Mourinho era at Utd will understand this. It's completely up to the club whether they are okay with Klopp doing this because they employ him. Fans are free to vote with their feet.
He had agreed and knew that replays would be played at this time. There is no excuses to be had.
Can't he just be honest and say the truth. I don't give a shit about the cups, my supporters, the others clubs and I also want my personal rest so that is why I do this.

DAK222

Supports
Liverpool
He had agreed and knew that replays would be played at this time. There is no excuses to be had.
Can't he just be honest and say the truth. I don't give a shit about the cups, my supporters, the others clubs and I also want my personal rest so that is why I do this.
Serious question. What had he agreed exactly? That if Liverpool ended up having to play during this period, he would definitely manage the team? With whom could he have agreed such a thing? FA? The club? The club seem cool with it. Is there some FA contract managers have to sign saying they'll always make themselves available even if the club are fine with them taking a holiday?

Paul_Scholes18

Serious question. What had he agreed exactly? That if Liverpool ended up having to play during this period, he would definitely manage the team? With whom could he have agreed such a thing? FA? The club? The club seem cool with it. Is there some FA contract managers have to sign saying they'll always make themselves available even if the club are fine with them taking a holiday?
He knew about it or should have known. Thus it was not a 100% certain 2 week break was it. He can claim it is since he is taking a rest from the game.
Although he could do the same against Norwich and get a massive personal break too. He could have rested everyone against Everton and let the assistants manage the game and he would have had 2 winterbreaks then since it was a long time between the PL games.
Liverpool has had far more rest than many other teams recently. Klopp has missed that it seems.

The truth is he don't care at all about the cups for some reason. Also seem to want to justify his own personal break by resting even squad players that might not play any more games this season (well if you advance he might play them against Chelsea mixed with the kids).
Anyway I should probably drop this topic. More fun than discussing our lack of transfers though.

Pele's blue pil

Supports
Arsenal
All the talk should've been about Shrewbury, the performance they put in, what a trip to Anfield will mean to the fans, players and staff and what great things they can do with all the extra income but instead klopp made it all about him just like the narcissist he is

Incredible manager, maybe the best in the world but a very poor excuse of a man

MikeeMike

Sorry but this is a smoke screen and a good move from Klopp. Key month coming up and this just deflects all the pressure from 1st team winning league. Nothing story but clever. In my opinion of course.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
Klopp is 100% correct to take a stand here. Organising a replay in a winter break completely contradicts the point of having a break!

look at the amount of players getting injured in January! Hopefully because of Klopps stand the FA will actually do something to stop this happening again next season.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Klopp is 100% correct to take a stand here. Organising a replay in a winter break completely contradicts the point of having a break!

look at the amount of players getting injured in January! Hopefully because of Klopps stand the FA will actually do something to stop this happening again next season.
Get out of here with that nonsense. When do you propose they play it instead, so? Squeezing it in elsewhere will have Klopp pissing and moaning as well, you can guarantee that.

Being the big, narcissistic wanker that he is, I bet Klopp was delighted it ended in a draw on Sunday just so he’d dominate the news for the next few weeks and make it all about him when the replay rolls around. One of the biggest days in many of these Shrewsbury players’ careers and this prick makes it all about Klopp.

Disgusting behaviour.

MikeeMike

Sorry but this does not make sense. He didnt play first team vs Shrewsbury so replay / winter break stance is irrelavant. Also what has “players injured in January” got to do with break in February. Plus who were “amount of players getting injured”.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

Because the break is meant for the whole team....it is literally a week of holiday for them. You can't just give them the week off and then change your mind. Plus it wouldn't be fair

Also why exactly should Liverpool prioritize a meaningless competition over their players fitness and health?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I mean, this boils down to: Company gives employee a week of holiday. Company's contractee tell them they need them to do a job during said holiday. Company tells employee to stay on holiday. Employee decides to stay on holiday

ashfritz

Supports
Liverpool
I privately agree with Klopps concerns, and the FA is ridiculous for violating the agreed PL break, but disagree with how he's handled the situation.

1. Ultimately its Klopps responsibility for fielding too weak a team to beat a League 1 side.
2. Taking attention away from Shrewsburys achievement.
3. Making public noise about playing the kids and not attending the noise. Could've just done that when the time comes, not announce it from now and stir up needleas controversy.
4. Risk what could be our best chance of reaching a treble, in a season when we can probably play the kids in the league from February and win it, we have to use this opportunity to focus on the cups and make history, while this generational Liverpool group of players is together and in their prime. Klopp is risking this opportunity for what exactly? I'm not saying play the full strength team, but I do believe that fringe/returning players need to be there, fitness permitting (Adrian, Lovren, Matip, Shaquiri, Origi, Minamino, Keita, Fabinho) should be involved, more than a few starting. That would still allow him to make 11 changes from the previous league game.

A very rare moment when I disagree with and am unhappy with Klopp, guess I'm just greedy and want to win it all.

PS mods: Had to edit my post and type Klopp instead of 'J K', otherwise it wouldn't let me post. Seems a bit ridiculous?

Reactions: Ødegaard

ariveded

I mean, this boils down to: Company gives employee a week of holiday. Company's contractee tell them they need them to do a job during said holiday. Company tells employee to stay on holiday. Employee decides to stay on holiday
That's stupid. We also have CL final which happens 2 weeks after final league game. So that's 2 weeks off your vacation, yet nobody complains.

Klopp is an idiot, as he is simply not doing his duty. There is a professional match to be played, and he is selfish by deciding to be on holiday.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Maximum number of domestic games all competitions in the major leagues.
England - 51
Spain - 49 (Super Cup now scheduled outside the continent before end of winter break)
Italy - 44 (Super Cup scheduled in Jan outside the continent )
France - 45 (Super Cup scheduled outside the continent)
Germany - 41

So basically Klopp has come from Germany who play less games than anyone else. Essentially this guy would bitch and moan if he managed anywhere abroad not called Germany.

Only two less games in Spain than England and in Spain and Italy they now feck off outside the continent in January to play in the super cup. Can’t imagine what Klopp would make of that.

People moan about the Christmas games but the thing is that In Italy and Spain they don’t get a lot of midweeks off because they have to schedule all those league games (not played during break) and cup ties at some point and it’ll be during midweeks.

Sir Alex was around for almost thirty years and I can count on my hand the amount of times he moaned about fixtures. Klopp has been here five minutes and is constantly whinging.

There are other managers having to deal with this obviously less than ideal situation and the FA do need to come up with a solution but it is obviously something clubs were warned about.

However all other managers seem to have begrudgingly accepted it and moved on. But that’s not enough for Klopp, he has to make a big song and dance about it and basically say his annual leave is too important to turn up for the replay...

If it’s such a massive massive hindrance on his life perhaps he should go back to Germany for the life of 10 weeks off in a year , Bayern need a manager after all.
Are you trying to convince me you’re not just being tribal? strong start but tailed off badly at the end.

Chip Butty

Supports
That lot
Lets take a minute here to talk about this the FA tell us all...... So I guess the promotion of dealing with mental health and well being, and being able to talk about such things like stress and pressure and then having coping mechanisms like such things as, rest and relaxation - don't apply to football managers.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
That's stupid. We also have CL final which happens 2 weeks after final league game. So that's 2 weeks off your vacation, yet nobody complains.

Klopp is an idiot, as he is simply not doing his duty. There is a professional match to be played, and he is selfish by deciding to be on holiday.
It's not. They're under no obligation to work overtime. Your example of the CL final is wrong, holidays are planned after the end of the season. Clubs that play in CL finals account for it when planning for the next season

Klopp's duty is to Liverpool, not the FA. If Liverpool don't give a feck about the FA Cup, that's that.

ariveded

It's not. They're under no obligation to work overtime. Your example of the CL final is wrong, holidays are planned after the end of the season. Clubs that play in CL finals account for it when planning for the next season

Klopp's duty is to Liverpool, not the FA. If Liverpool don't give a feck about the FA Cup, that's that.
Its one thing to take certain work (eg. League Cup) not seriously. But completely another thing to simply miss it, and not turning up at all.

I would be sacked if I choose to not turn up on any official events even when the offical event was not important.

Klopp deserves no sympathy, and if anything, it shows the huge power these modern managers/players have.

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
[QUOTE="ariveded
Klopp deserves no sympathy, and if anything, it shows the huge power these modern managers/players have.
[/QUOTE]

Klopp isn’t looking for sympathy. He is making what he believes, rightly or wrongly, to be a principled stand regarding the winter break. Woodward might just get some sympathy tonight after the actions of the United fans. Shocking carry on. Neil Ashton has his work cut out. This is a PR disaster for the club.

Last edited:

Name Changed

weso26
I'm of the belief that Klopp should do whatever he thinks is best for Liverpool. If that means possibly going out of the FA Cup to give his players a rest that was promised then so be it.

Atze-Peng

Dortmund Fan
I privately agree with Klopps concerns, and the FA is ridiculous for violating the agreed PL break, but disagree with how he's handled the situation.

1. Ultimately its Klopps responsibility for fielding too weak a team to beat a League 1 side.
2. Taking attention away from Shrewsburys achievement.
3. Making public noise about playing the kids and not attending the noise. Could've just done that when the time comes, not announce it from now and stir up needleas controversy.
4. Risk what could be our best chance of reaching a treble, in a season when we can probably play the kids in the league from February and win it, we have to use this opportunity to focus on the cups and make history, while this generational Liverpool group of players is together and in their prime. Klopp is risking this opportunity for what exactly? I'm not saying play the full strength team, but I do believe that fringe/returning players need to be there, fitness permitting (Adrian, Lovren, Matip, Shaquiri, Origi, Minamino, Keita, Fabinho) should be involved, more than a few starting. That would still allow him to make 11 changes from the previous league game.

A very rare moment when I disagree with and am unhappy with Klopp, guess I'm just greedy and want to win it all.

PS mods: Had to edit my post and type Klopp instead of 'J K', otherwise it wouldn't let me post. Seems a bit ridiculous?
1-2 is understandable, but sorta irrelevant to the entire point he is trying to make.
3. So if he doesn't say anything, people go to the stadium and paying for it to see the players and then only the youth-team comes - what do you think will happen? Its perfectly reasonable to be upfront about it.
4. Who cares about the treble? He is setting priorities to perform in the more important competitions. And winning the league early really isn't always beneficial. It has happened before to Bayern and PSG where they lost their strong focus and tension. Klopp might want to keep that going even after winning the league.

Last but not least I do agree with him. His actions are quite harsh, yes - but considering the Liverpool board seems to support him in that does make it seem like there is more to it than just that. We do not know their interaction with the FA. This might have been an ongoing issue behind the scenes and now was just the final straw. Or maybe all of Liverpool is that rash.

Either way, the point they are making is perfectly reasonable. The english league is overblown and Liverpool isn't the only team who keeps playing their B-team in the FA cup. It is clear that the clubs do not care enough about it and think it is too much considering they have to play their B-teams

Abizzz

Sorry but this is a smoke screen and a good move from Klopp. Key month coming up and this just deflects all the pressure from 1st team winning league. Nothing story but clever. In my opinion of course.
Actually think this might true. He was getting really irritated at people asking about the PL in January (if winning it early is a goal etc.). He knew the british journos would get irritated enough about him disrespecting the FA Cup like that and that while it would cause a storm in the tea cup no one in the wider football world really cares.

Makes more sense then him feeling he "needs" that 1 day not managing.

Posh Red

1-2 is understandable, but sorta irrelevant to the entire point he is trying to make.
3. So if he doesn't say anything, people go to the stadium and paying for it to see the players and then only the youth-team comes - what do you think will happen? Its perfectly reasonable to be upfront about it.
4. Who cares about the treble? He is setting priorities to perform in the more important competitions. And winning the league early really isn't always beneficial. It has happened before to Bayern and PSG where they lost their strong focus and tension. Klopp might want to keep that going even after winning the league.

Last but not least I do agree with him. His actions are quite harsh, yes - but considering the Liverpool board seems to support him in that does make it seem like there is more to it than just that. We do not know their interaction with the FA. This might have been an ongoing issue behind the scenes and now was just the final straw. Or maybe all of Liverpool is that rash.

Either way, the point they are making is perfectly reasonable. The english league is overblown and Liverpool isn't the only team who keeps playing their B-team in the FA cup. It is clear that the clubs do not care enough about it and think it is too much considering they have to play their B-teams
Of course Liverpool fans care about the treble for obvious reason

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Of course Liverpool fans care about the treble for obvious reason
I care about the PL first and foremost, then the CL, and then the FA Cup. Giving the players a break should contribute to achieve goal #1 and #2. I also think our youngsters should have enough to put away Shrewsbury at home.

I do think Klopp should be attending the return leg, but I think he's simply trying to make a point against the FA rather than he doesn't care about it.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Its one thing to take certain work (eg. League Cup) not seriously. But completely another thing to simply miss it, and not turning up at all.

I would be sacked if I choose to not turn up on any official events even when the offical event was not important.

Once again, his employer gave him those days off, and his employer has no intention of asking him to work on those days instead.

The last part of your post is the only one that's correct and relevant. Which Klopp is using to make his point about fixture congestion

However, as far as Klopp and his employer are concerned, Klopp is not supposed to work that week. Whether he does anyways or not is entirely his decision. I think it's poor form on his part to do it like this, but also i agree with him, and i also think these kind of grand gestures are the only thing that might give FIFA/UEFA/FAs and co. pause

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
Get out of here with that nonsense. When do you propose they play it instead, so? Squeezing it in elsewhere will have Klopp pissing and moaning as well, you can guarantee that.

Being the big, narcissistic wanker that he is, I bet Klopp was delighted it ended in a draw on Sunday just so he’d dominate the news for the next few weeks and make it all about him when the replay rolls around. One of the biggest days in many of these Shrewsbury players’ careers and this prick makes it all about Klopp.

Disgusting behaviour.
Not during the assigned break? That's the point! The FA should have factored this in!

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
Sorry but this does not make sense. He didnt play first team vs Shrewsbury so replay / winter break stance is irrelavant. Also what has “players injured in January” got to do with break in February. Plus who were “amount of players getting injured”.
How is it irrelevant because of the team he picked? He picked a stronger team than he did against Everton!

The point is player such as Kane, Vardy, Mane, Rashford have all got injured, in part due to the relentless fixture schedule.

ashfritz

Supports
Liverpool
I care about the PL first and foremost, then the CL, and then the FA Cup. Giving the players a break should contribute to achieve goal #1 and #2. I also think our youngsters should have enough to put away Shrewsbury at home.

I do think Klopp should be attending the return leg, but I think he's simply trying to make a point against the FA rather than he doesn't care about it.
Every Liverpool fan cares about the League above all else of course. But the thing is, unexpectedly the league is wrapped up. After our trophy drought of recent years, I don't think we are in a position to turn our noses up at any kind of silverware. If we are winning several leagues, then sure, to hell with the cup. But right now for me, I want to see LFC lift as many of those trophies as possible. We know all too well what kind of wilderness we may find ourselves in, in the not too distant future.

The kids should have enough for Shrewsbury, but they didn't get the job done. So its not a safe bet. This isnt a fixture away to a top side, it just needs a sprinkling of senior players to make it safe. I cant understand why we won't even provide that.

DAK222

Supports
Liverpool
Once again, his employer gave him those days off, and his employer has no intention of asking him to work on those days instead.

The last part of your post is the only one that's correct and relevant. Which Klopp is using to make his point about fixture congestion

However, as far as Klopp and his employer are concerned, Klopp is not supposed to work that week. Whether he does anyways or not is entirely his decision. I think it's poor form on his part to do it like this, but also i agree with him, and i also think these kind of grand gestures are the only thing that might give FIFA/UEFA/FAs and co. pause
This simple sentence seems to be shockingly difficult for so many people to comprehend!

I'm quite surprised by all this outrage from opposition fans. Klopp's decision significantly weakens our chance of winning at least a domestic double. The club and most of our fans seem chill with it. What is it about this situation that's bothering the rest of you so much?

(a) Liverpool could end up winning the cup even while playing U-23s at various points and with a U-23 manager stepping in for one round. Then you'll hear more from the media about how awesome Liverpool are. Is this it?

(b) The FA cup is so dear to your heart that while you'll be fine with Klopp or any manager playing understrength teams as has been happening for years now, the manager not being physically present in the stadium is one step too far and you feel that the British game has been disrespected. This one?

(c) You just hate Klopp for whatever reason and were desperately hoping for Liverpool fans to turn on him in this scenario, which didn't happen. Plus there's the danger that Klopp could be credited with future winter breaks being forced to be free of FA cup replays and that's too much for you to take.

Paul_Scholes18

This simple sentence seems to be shockingly difficult for so many people to comprehend!

I'm quite surprised by all this outrage from opposition fans. Klopp's decision significantly weakens our chance of winning at least a domestic double. The club and most of our fans seem chill with it. What is it about this situation that's bothering the rest of you so much?

(a) Liverpool could end up winning the cup even while playing U-23s at various points and with a U-23 manager stepping in for one round. Then you'll hear more from the media about how awesome Liverpool are. Is this it?

(b) The FA cup is so dear to your heart that while you'll be fine with Klopp or any manager playing understrength teams as has been happening for years now, the manager not being physically present in the stadium is one step too far and you feel that the British game has been disrespected. This one?

(c) You just hate Klopp for whatever reason and were desperately hoping for Liverpool fans to turn on him in this scenario, which didn't happen. Plus there's the danger that Klopp could be credited with future winter breaks being forced to be free of FA cup replays and that's too much for you to take.
It is more about Klopp being a hyge hypocrite and moaning about everything as soon as everything is not going your way. If he wants to ruin your chances to write history and play kids then he can do that. He has already tried with that against Everton so that is no news and people didn't bother about him playing with kids then. Do not understand why most Pool fans like it, but I guess lots of people do not rate the cups or just want to defend everything saint Klopp does. You have had insane luck with injuries, officials and got so much help from Premier league with the fixture list this season yet you he moan due to something caused by himself. I think not moving the league cup game was silly and I would defend you about that one. This replay though is the same for everyone and everyone knew about it.

Teams with far harder fixture lists have not moaned. Pep, Ole, Dean Smith etc and even Mourinho. In the past he has moanded about the wind and other crazy things after defeats. This was the first bad result apart from the Villa one for a long time for you guys. As soon as he gets one he starts to moan about external factors again.
The only thing he will not moan about is the officials since they help you most of the time.

montpelier

You missed out it being showboaty Klopp and LFC being whiteknights olde bollocks because they love the media talking about them - at least partly anyway. Anything that raises club profile is good, it's been part of strategy for some time now.

Some of your players need games? Some people think this is being conveniently ignored.

Klopp not bothering himself is a bit over theatrical perhaps.

There are points which refute all this to some extent. But there are some inconsistencies in the thing for me.