Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

arthurka

Everyone seems to be asking how VvD will perform coming back from an injury. But no one is asking how deadly Salah and Mane will be after a proper rest after three years. And after Mane (and Trent) have overcome some sort of long covid last season.
Also how will the midfield cope without Gini in midfield?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I am not as worried as others are about that. With everyone fit, he'd be 4th choice. And if Keita could actually remain fit to build up some steam, it'd be an open question between him and gini too. Gini is a top player, but the main thing he has over the others is availability.

What wrecked our midfield last season was having to do without Fabinho and Henderson, because one was either injured and the other one subbing in at centreback. It helped us a lot once we decided that we needed fabinho more in midfield, even though he was clearly our best centreback and our centreback options were all shit.

Hope springs eternal and all that, but if Keita can steer clear of injuries, he's a proper midfielder. Jones looks like he is well on his way to becoming one and certainly has something to add. Elliot will be exciting to see what he can add in a more advanced midfield role.

I think we probably still need Milner to have a few gears left in his evergreen locker to keep things together on a rainy day. But overall, I quite like our midfield.

It is attack that concerns me. Jota is a top 4th choice. But that assumed the regular front 3 are contributing. Past those four, we've got a Oxo-chambo converted to a false 9 and that's about it (I am done counting Origi).

basically, we need to find our way to scoring more goals. The quality is there, but aside from Salah there are questions marks on form and confidence.

arthurka

I am not as worried as others are about that. With everyone fit, he'd be 4th choice. And if Keita could actually remain fit to build up some steam, it'd be an open question between him and gini too. Gini is a top player, but the main thing he has over the others is availability.

What wrecked our midfield last season was having to do without Fabinho and Henderson, because one was either injured and the other one subbing in at centreback. It helped us a lot once we decided that we needed fabinho more in midfield, even though he was clearly our best centreback and our centreback options were all shit.

Hope springs eternal and all that, but if Keita can steer clear of injuries, he's a proper midfielder. Jones looks like he is well on his way to becoming one and certainly has something to add. Elliot will be exciting to see what he can add in a more advanced midfield role.

I think we probably still need Milner to have a few gears left in his evergreen locker to keep things together on a rainy day. But overall, I quite like our midfield.

It is attack that concerns me. Jota is a top 4th choice. But that assumed the regular front 3 are contributing. Past those four, we've got a Oxo-chambo converted to a false 9 and that's about it (I am done counting Origi).

basically, we need to find our way to scoring more goals. The quality is there, but aside from Salah there are questions marks on form and confidence.
This will be the difference between an ok season and a really good one.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
There was a quiet discontent on the number of minutes Gini kept getting on the pitch. He was/is great in big games but was often clueless against low block teams. Not his fault everyone else got injured all the time and he was made of titanium.

I think we'll survive most smaller games with Milner, Thiago, Ox, Keita and Jones. It's the 8 or so bigger games in the PL that will require his heart and courage. But we have Fab and Hendo back this season for that.

Chief123

What for? I don't think I care enough about this hot take to mock it at christmas.
There will be a really windy game just before Christmas. That will be the moment Klopp will implode.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I agree that it’s a great team, absolutely.

Maybe it’s just the muppet in me that’s yearning for an exciting signing :lol:

And then I really think we could’ve done with someone to rotate with Mane and Salah so they don’t have to play every game.
Great first team pool but no depth in midfield or particularly up front.

I’d be a disheartened if I’m listening to klopp the last week.

if they lose shaqiri and don’t replace him then that’s a lot of risk being taken on Salah, Mane not getting injured.

also I dunno what you guys think of Curtis Jones but there’s a lot of faith being shown considering Thiago’s injury records.

one final point on defence. He mentions that you had to buy due to injuries last season so it was imperative to make an exception and bring in Konate. He made it sound like LFC has no choice but to spend in this area otherwise they might not have spent at all. Doesnt address buying one of the most injury prone defenders around either :)

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

if they lose shaqiri and don’t replace him then that’s a lot of risk being taken on Salah, Mane not getting injured.

also I dunno what you guys think of Curtis Jones but there’s a lot of faith being shown considering Thiago’s injury records.

one final point on defence. He mentions that you had to buy due to injuries last season so it was imperative to make an exception and bring in Konate. He made it sound like LFC has no choice but to spend in this area otherwise they might not have spent at all. Doesnt address buying one of the most injury prone defenders around either :)
This is an absolute myth as far as I'm concerned, one lengthy lay-off due to one particular injury doesn't mean you're injury prone. So not a single worry for me in that respect. An injury prone player is someone like Ox, Keita, Matip, ... for me who continuously pick up small injuries and you simply can't rely on them to stay healthy for an entire season.

Curtis Jones is good enough to replace a starter should it be necessary. He's no super talent but he knows his role and knows what's expected of him and does that well enough. It's not an ideal situation and I'd rather we had a few more options in midfield but it is what it is.

We look especially thin up front with both Mane and Salah off to the AFCON this winter if I'm not mistaken? That will undoubtedly hurt us no matter how well or bad we've been playing, I'd have thought that we would bring in some replacements to fill a role now we know for a fact that they'll need to be replaced for a considerable period of time in the middle of the season but doesn't look like that (so far). We always leave our business quite late if it's not done super early though, last year as well both Thiago and Jota were in September I think (and Jota came totally out of the blue). I still think we'll bring in one or two players but it will be squad players and no superstars.

It kinda sucks as a fan because you love to see marquee signings but you just gotta realise that we still have a squad that hasn't changed much from the 19/20 season so we can still compete (on multiple fronts), that should render us hopeful. If Klopp is frustrated by the lack of spending he should've joined City, Chelsea or Utd - he knew it wouldn't be like that at Liverpool and he has been given the money to spend it too if it was there (VVD, Keita, Alisson weren't particularly cheap).

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
This is an absolute myth as far as I'm concerned, one lengthy lay-off due to one particular injury doesn't mean you're injury prone. So not a single worry for me in that respect. An injury prone player is someone like Ox, Keita, Matip, ... for me who continuously pick up small injuries and you simply can't rely on them to stay healthy for an entire season.

Curtis Jones is good enough to replace a starter should it be necessary. He's no super talent but he knows his role and knows what's expected of him and does that well enough. It's not an ideal situation and I'd rather we had a few more options in midfield but it is what it is.

We look especially thin up front with both Mane and Salah off to the AFCON this winter if I'm not mistaken? That will undoubtedly hurt us no matter how well or bad we've been playing, I'd have thought that we would bring in some replacements to fill a role now we know for a fact that they'll need to be replaced for a considerable period of time in the middle of the season but doesn't look like that (so far). We always leave our business quite late if it's not done super early though, last year as well both Thiago and Jota were in September I think (and Jota came totally out of the blue). I still think we'll bring in one or two players but it will be squad players and no superstars.

It kinda sucks as a fan because you love to see marquee signings but you just gotta realise that we still have a squad that hasn't changed much from the 19/20 season so we can still compete (on multiple fronts), that should render us hopeful. If Klopp is frustrated by the lack of spending he should've joined City, Chelsea or Utd - he knew it wouldn't be like that at Liverpool and he has been given the money to spend it too if it was there (VVD, Keita, Alisson weren't particularly cheap).
Baring in mind the transfer window closes end of August this year so unless it’s a freebie there will be no September surprises for anyone.

time will tell re konate. I rate him highly, he’s got all the tools

Rob

Supports
Liverpool

Yeah. And as Robin just said, there’s also AFCON ths season which means we’ll definately lose both Mane and Salah for at least a month.

There were rumblings about Shaqiri being on his way out, which could pave the way for some new attacking blood.

This sounds way more doom and gloom than intended as I do think we have a fantastic group of players and I’m always excited in the beginning of seasons.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Curtis Jones is da bomb! He had another long-ish season forced on him due to injuries elsewhere and he looks even more intelligent for it. With no Gini I think he can continue to get opportunities to show why he's so highly rated. Hopefully he and Elliott can get us progressing further in the domestic cups this time.

TheRedHearted

Yeah. And as Robin just said, there’s also AFCON ths season which means we’ll definately lose both Mane and Salah for at least a month.

There were rumblings about Shaqiri being on his way out, which could pave the way for some new attacking blood.

This sounds way more doom and gloom than intended as I do think we have a fantastic group of players and I’m always excited in the beginning of seasons.
Surely you need to sign some attackers? Is anyone coming through the academy?? The club is gonna run Salah and Mane into the ground.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Is he? He hasn't looked a proper anything going by his time in England.

BoulderDevil

It’s so easy to read people like Klopp. They wear their emotions in their sleeve. It’s clear he is threatened by Ole and his progress with the squad. Else why would he even comment on our transfers? By the looks of it he has every right to be worried

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
He is. The catch 22 is that in the very few occasions he's been able to trust his body he's looked good. Not as great as his Leipzig days/videos but decent enough. But you need to catch those moments quickly before his body is gone again, so he appears crap coming back and trusting his body again.

Like B20 said, like naive mugs, we're choosing to hope that his body is fixed for good this time.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Surely you need to sign some attackers? Is anyone coming through the academy?? The club is gonna run Salah and Mane into the ground.
I agree, so I’m hopeful we do something.

I haven’t seen us linked to anyone, though.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
I know it's been real cool to diss him since he was billed as potentially one of the best midfielders in the league when he arrived, and he's been nowhere near that.

He's been pretty solid, if rarely spectacular, whenever he's actually been able to string a few games together. A lot like Wijnaldum actually (except Gini was always fit). Then when he looks like he might actually step it up further, he gets injured. I am not really concerned about seeing him in the starting lineup - he does the work Klopp wants from his midfielders which is no small thing. The worry is that you can't rely on him for more than a few games at a time.

It's hardly a ringing endorsement - "50m midfielder strings together scattered clutches of good unspectacular performances amidst long periods of injury after three years of bedding in."

Still, he's still only 26. If he can put his injuries behind him, I reckon there's still a future for him here. Would be surprising if he meets the original expectations, but he doesn't need to do that to still be a good player.

Pep's Suit

I think Klopp deserved more support this summer. Probably was the right moment to move on from players like Keita, Milner, Origi etc.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

No hope for Minamino to fill in during their Afcon absence? My Pool supporting mate said he’s looked really good in preseason. Though the drop in quality missing both Salah and Mane is huge either way.

TommyGunn

Supports
Liverpool
No hope for Minamino to fill in during their Afcon absence? My Pool supporting mate said he’s looked really good in preseason. Though the drop in quality missing both Salah and Mane is huge either way.
I have a real hope for Minimino this season, your mate was right, he's had a great preseason.

I was reading an article lately, apparently we are at our limit regarding non national players, so we need to move Shaqiri and/or Origi before we can buy another foreign player. Looks like Shaqiri could be on his way to Lyon, I'd love us to get Aouar in return!

Lee565

Klopp hasn't learned his lesson from last season how his negative behaviour impacted on his team.

Also it's nice to know we have truly leapfrogged back above liverpool with how much our club lives rent free in klopp's head for the past 6 - 9 months.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I have a real hope for Minimino this season, your mate was right, he's had a great preseason.

I was reading an article lately, apparently we are at our limit regarding non national players, so we need to move Shaqiri and/or Origi before we can buy another foreign player. Looks like Shaqiri could be on his way to Lyon, I'd love us to get Aouar in return!
It would be a bonus for you guys if Minimino performed when called upon and alleviate a lot of pressure of the other attackers, especially if some of them continue their struggles into this season. And I agree Aouar would be a good signing for most teams.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Klopp hasn't learned his lesson from last season how his negative behaviour impacted on his team.

Also it's nice to know we have truly leapfrogged back above liverpool with how much our club lives rent free in klopp's head for the past 6 - 9 months.
So it wasn’t injuries. Must have this negative behavior. Also please say leapfrog when you mgr actually wins something, anything.

pav1790

I dislike Liverpool FC as much any non-manc ( non English, to boot ) Manchester united fan can. But I would like a bit of an explanation on what exactly was negative about Klopp's behaviour. He's a smug sack of shite, that much is evident. Works when he's winning but when he starts losing it loses the veneer of charm. But beyond that I've found him to be a decent person.

Hastar

Supports
Liverpool
Klopp does occasionally complain - sometimes nonsensically like that one about grass - after a loss. But overall he has been positive and more often than not provides a sensible perspective to things - football and non-football.

One of his greatest quality is exactly that. A lot of non-LFC fans mocked the team when they celebrated that West Brom draw at Anfield. But that moment actually brought the team and fans together.

So it's kinda weird to say that he brings in negativity, let alone it affecting our side.
Last season we clearly struggled because of injuries, poor form of Mane and Firmino and bad tactics like using midfielders at CB.

Reactions: Cheimoon

B20

Supports
Liverpool
I think Klopp deserved more support this summer. Probably was the right moment to move on from players like Keita, Milner, Origi etc.
We're trying, he doesn't want to leave. Apparently, he's very invested in the local community.

Given that the last time he was told that there was no future for him here, he was scoring in CL semi finals and the final within 12 months, he probably reckons the final word has not been had on that either.

Milner I think has another year in him as a phased out veteran.

I keep forgetting Minamino is still a Liverpool player. I have no hope for him. He's the closest thing to a short stick figure man in the league. Has zero physical presence. If he still has the ball when a defender gets near him they just walk in and take it from him.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I keep forgetting Minamino is still a Liverpool player. I have no hope for him. He's the closest thing to a short stick figure man in the league. Has zero physical presence. If he still has the ball when a defender gets near him they just walk in and take it from him.
I figured most Pool fans have forgotten about Minamino, in fairness. Especially judging by the posts in here :lol:. He does seem very lightweight for this league truth be told. I don't even think he fared too well during his loan spell at Soton (but admittedly I never watched them)?

He did seem to impress during preseason though but that's not anywhere near the standard of the league.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Klopp 540mil spent plus he had TAA,Henderson and Firmino to start with.
Ole 400mil spent.

Worlds best manager should be finishing 20 points clear of Ole with that sort of spend.

Dont know why he is even worried about us to be honest.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I figured most Pool fans have forgotten about Minamino, in fairness. Especially judging by the posts in here :lol:. He does seem very lightweight for this league truth be told. I don't even think he fared too well during his loan spell at Soton (but admittedly I never watched them)?

He did seem to impress during preseason though but that's not anywhere near the standard of the league.
10 games and 2 goals isn't the worst return, but I didn't realise he was 26!

I thought he was very early twenties with a bit of development left to do.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

I more got the impression that he never became a guaranteed starter at Soton? But i may be wrong, having not watched them outside of highlights (where it was usually JWP, Ings or Che Adams doing something). But yeah, 2 in 10 isn't a bad return for an attacking mid.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Klopp 540mil spent plus he had TAA,Henderson and Firmino to start with.
Ole 400mil spent.

Worlds best manager should be finishing 20 points clear of Ole with that sort of spend.

Dont know why he is even worried about us to be honest.
Pretty sure TAA made his debut over a year after Klopp became Liverpool boss.

Hectic

Supports
30fps

Yeah but if you scale it up to 1000 games that's only 200 goals over 26 seasons.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
So is he going to have a dig at Arsenal regarding their spending which sits at over £100 million for the summer? Or is that reserved just for us?