g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

montpelier

And they both look like pretty decent signings for the respective clubs to me. Based on extensive analysis over the game & a half of what I've seen. Grujic looks really good to me, highly promising. Wasn't convinced by Matip.

Quite early days though, 1st week of September.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
I used the future tense,"will." Mane already is better than Mkhitaryan which is no laughing matter for you considering Mourinho wanted to sign him. And I'm confident the other three will also be regarded as among the best in the Premier League in their positions by the end of the season.

Klopp regards his assistants, Zeljko Buvac and Peter Krawietz as the best in the world. They help spotting the right players.

Question for the Dortmund fans. How has Dortmund's style changed since Klopp left? In some of the matches I've seen you look less direct and incisive, more patient. Is this accurate?
It would pointless for us to sign Mane when we've got Rashford who is the comparable player (pacy forward who attacks from wide) than Mkhitaryan the playmaker.

At 18, Rashford looks destined for the very top of the game. No need to block an academy product's progress with a Southampton special you guys seem to love so much.

Rafateria

We've all seen Mane play and most of us would agree that he's a very good signing for you guys. Probably the best Liverpool signing since Suarez. Karius, well he is an upgrade on Mignolet I suppose. I've only watched Matip in a few games but I don't recall him standing out. I've never seen Grujic play.

It would be interesting to know what Liverpool fans think is the ceiling for each of the signings under Klopp this summer. Do they have the potential to one day go on to be considered some of the best players in their respective positions like Gundogan, Hummels, Miki, Lewandowski, Kagawa(first stint at BVB) etc.?
Decent and fair appraisal from Squawka on the best CB signings of the Summer (Bailly and Matip both come out of it very well) :

http://www.squawka.com/news/compare...-luiz-which-summer-signing-is-the-best/762730

Grujic looks almost good enough to start for us already(not too much competition in CM) ! I can see this lad becoming a star, he's got a lot in his locker so we're hoping he can take the big step up to the PL, though I doubt he will see much game time this season, he looks like one for next.

Impossible to say whether any players will or will not become top players (obviously it's pretty much impossible, unless he is a Messi/Ronaldo/Suarez) to call anyone 'best in their position' but to become a highly rated player is an easier call but still one I'd be reticent to make on any player as so much can go wrong or sometimes they just seemingly come out of nowhere (Mahrez for example).

RedCurry

Decent and fair appraisal from Squawka on the best CB signings of the Summer (Bailly and Matip both come out of it very well) :

http://www.squawka.com/news/compare...-luiz-which-summer-signing-is-the-best/762730

Grujic looks almost good enough to start for us already(not too much competition in CM) ! I can see this lad becoming a star, he's got a lot in his locker so we're hoping he can take the big step up to the PL, though I doubt he will see much game time this season, he looks like one for next.

Impossible to say whether any players will or will not become top players (obviously it's pretty much impossible, unless he is a Messi/Ronaldo/Suarez) to call anyone 'best in their position' but to become a highly rated player is an easier call but still one I'd be reticent to make on any player as so much can go wrong or sometimes they just seemingly come out of nowhere (Mahrez for example).
If I were a Liverpool fan I'd be a tad worried that once again in the transfer market the manager has gone in and spent all his time and money on potential rather than current quality. On current ability, will these players be good enough to reach top 4 this season? When you guys were linked with Götze I thought he was exactly the type of player who could lift Liverpool.

Of course if Klopp's Liverpool transfers end up being as successful as the ones at Dortmund you guys would have struck gold.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
You could argue that Mane has been the better player in the first three league matches (obviously). But prior to that it isn't even close. Mane would have to show it over the entire season before you could make the claim.
If mane keeps his con
If I were a Liverpool fan I'd be a tad worried that once again in the transfer market the manager has gone in and spent all his time and money on potential rather than current quality. On current ability, will these players be good enough to reach top 4 this season? When you guys were linked with Götze I thought he was exactly the type of player who could lift Liverpool.

Of course if Klopp's Liverpool transfers end up being as successful as the ones at Dortmund you guys would have struck gold.
I don't think we've spent it all on potential. I expect Karius, Matip and Mane to have first team impact

RedCurry

I don't think we've spent it all on potential. I expect Karius, Matip and Mane to have first team impact
These players could be realistically better than what they have, it's not going to be hard to displace Mignolet, Henderson, Lallana etc. But do they lift the team to a level where they can confidently say they are better than at least one out of Man Utd, man city, chelsea, arsenal, spurs and leicester? Because that's what they will have to be to reach top 4. If these players aren't good enough to reach top 4 this season then it's still just potential.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
These players could be realistically better than what they have, it's not going to be hard to displace Mignolet, Henderson, Lallana etc. But do they lift the team to a level where they can confidently say they are better than at least one out of Man Utd, man city, chelsea, arsenal, spurs and leicester? Because that's what they will have to be to reach top 4. If these players aren't good enough to reach top 4 this season then it's still just potential.
Too early to say. Mane certainly looks the part so far. Matip looked impressive. No idea about Karius. Not being Mignolet is a massive step up already though.

I think, if we play to our potential, we are as good as or better than spurs. Given the shakeups at city, chelsea and united it is hard to say what the actual level is of any of the teams.

I don't think it makes sense to gauge this from a standpoint of 'who is better than who?' - I think we could be good enough to hit 70 points, and maybe 75+ if things come together for us. That should bring us into the mix.

We will need to see improvement from a fair amount of players from last season to do it. Klopp set himself that task.

Rafateria

I'm sure last season we would have said many of Chelsea's players were better than those in other teams vying for Top 4 too. And I'm sure that most didn't rate any of Leicester's players as worthy of a place in a Top 4 side.

RedCurry

Too early to say. Mane certainly looks the part so far. Matip looked impressive. No idea about Karius. Not being Mignolet is a massive step up already though.

I think, if we play to our potential, we are as good as or better than spurs. Given the shakeups at city, chelsea and united it is hard to say what the actual level is of any of the teams.

I don't think it makes sense to gauge this from a standpoint of 'who is better than who?' - I think we could be good enough to hit 70 points, and maybe 75+ if things come together for us. That should bring us into the mix.

We will need to see improvement from a fair amount of players from last season to do it. Klopp set himself that task.
I think you guys are at the same level as Spurs except Harry Kane may hit form again and in that case they will be better than you. 20 goals strikers usually end up close to top 4. The shake ups you're talking aren't actually shakeups, if anything those clubs will be more stable than last year. LVG chopping and changing all the time for us, Pep announcement in the middle of the season and Mourinho exploding for chelsea really hindered those teams. I don't see that happening at any of these teams again, at least not this season. Each of the teams have also improved their squads.

I'm sure last season we would have said many of Chelsea's players were better than those in other teams vying for Top 4 too. And I'm sure that most didn't rate any of Leicester's players as worthy of a place in a Top 4 side.
That's a lottery system I don't think any big teams would rely on. Those incidents were one-offs and most likely won't happen again for a few years, if ever.

Rafateria

I think you guys are at the same level as Spurs except Harry Kane may hit form again and in that case they will be better than you. 20 goals strikers usually end up close to top 4. The shake ups you're talking aren't actually shakeups, if anything those clubs will be more stable than last year. LVG chopping and changing all the time for us, Pep announcement in the middle of the season and Mourinho exploding for chelsea really hindered those teams. I don't see that happening at any of these teams again, at least not this season. Each of the teams have also improved their squads.

That's a lottery system I don't think any big teams would rely on. Those incidents were one-offs and most likely won't happen again for a few years, if ever.
Well the fact you talk of them in the plural is enough to know they are not 'one-offs', that just happened to occur in the same season. And with 11 players (++) in each teams case ? Whilst it is highly likely that one of the favourites for the title will take it this season there is absolutely no reason at all that a team not possessing a squad full of 'best in their position' as you call them, could not break into the Top 4.

You are so typical of many of the fans of teams splashing huge amounts of money about .... you think it's all about acquiring established stars. There are a bunch of players that people don't rate .. yet ... that are about to break through this season. Rashford should tell you that. Whilst there is no doubt mega spending increases chances of success, and yes I wish Liverpool were one of them, it is not by any means guarantee success and vice versa for those not spending vast amounts.

RedCurry

Well the fact you talk of them in the plural is enough to know they are not 'one-offs', that just happened to occur in the same season. And with 11 players (++) in each teams case ? Whilst it is highly likely that one of the favourites for the title will take it this season there is absolutely no reason at all that a team not possessing a squad full of 'best in their position' as you call them, could not break into the Top 4.

You are so typical of many of the fans of teams splashing huge amounts of money about .... you think it's all about how much is being paid for an established star. There are a bunch of players that people don't rate .. yet ... that are about to break through this season. Whilst there is no doubt mega spending increases chances of success, and yes I wish Liverpool were one of them, it is not by any means guarantee success and vice versa for those not spending vast amounts.
You're missing my point here. I am in no way under the delusion that because we spent tons of cash that we'll walk it. Far from it. Last few seasons have humbled me a lot.

All I am saying is that yes liverpool can break into top 4 this season or the next or the one after. But breaking into top 4 this season is surely not the goal for you guys? The goal is to have a team that is good enough on paper to be able to be in top 4 every single year, starting this season. Like you said, when teams bring in players of high quality, they increase the chances of success. When they bring in players with potential, they may hit the heights or may just end up clogging up the squad which needs clearing again.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.

You are so typical of many of the fans of teams splashing huge amounts of money about .... you think it's all about acquiring established stars. There are a bunch of players that people don't rate .. yet ... that are about to break through this season. Rashford should tell you that. Whilst there is no doubt mega spending increases chances of success, and yes I wish Liverpool were one of them, it is not by any means guarantee success and vice versa for those not spending vast amounts.
some fair points.

The key to success though is to have a consistent set of players in the first team. Injuries/supensions/international duty aside we should be able to run out the same team for the League games. You will get the results.

Its still very early. Come October end, we can see the league taking shape. I bet the top 3 teams will have done what I said.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
His all action style works against top teams who give away space but he hasn't found consistency in beating smaller clubs.

Ruffian

Supports
Liverpool
Bloody tense. I was convinced Chelsea would get an undeserved draw as Spurs did. Just as in that match though we never found much attacking fluency, for different reasons.

Dir Wangem

Impressive record vs the top teams.
I'd love to see Klopp's stats vs top teams in the last 5 years. He's steam-rolled teams like Real, Bayern, City and now Chelsea, time after time. His weakness is obviously teams that park the bus. All that hard-running, team-work and brave passing becomes pointless. It's all about individualists and match-winners in those games. Liverpool don't really have that.

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
Great start on the toughest schedule.

I was laughed at when I said Liverpool will be top2 this season. Lets see

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
If Liverpool ever sorted out their 'beat Arsenal away - lose to Burnley' form they'd be title contenders. Fortunately, I don't see them doing it in the near future.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
All I know is, it's going far better for them then I'd like it to.

Hopefully they'll have another couple of Burnley type matches coming up soon

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
They have players like Coutinho who randomly decides he can't be assed sometimes and that costs them.
Tonight was one of those nights. I'm disappointed with Coutinho to be honest and thought he looked off the pace. Klopp's got Lallana looking like a very good midfielder all of a sudden though.

Encouraging signs but we need to be judged after we play Hull at home and Swansea away in the next two. Games like that are the ones we are more likely to struggle with.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Tonight was one of those nights. I'm disappointed with Coutinho to be honest and thought he looked off the pace. Klopp's got Lallana looking like a very good midfielder all of a sudden though.

Encouraging signs but we need to be judged after we play Hull at home and Swansea away in the next two. Games like that are the ones we are more likely to struggle with.
You'll beat hull by four or five. The Swansea one might be more tricky though.

Blackwidow

I'd love to see Klopp's stats vs top teams in the last 5 years. He's steam-rolled teams like Real, Bayern, City and now Chelsea, time after time. His weakness is obviously teams that park the bus. All that hard-running, team-work and brave passing becomes pointless. It's all about individualists and match-winners in those games. Liverpool don't really have that.
Against Bayern it is not that good anymore since 2012 - that 5:2 in the Cup final was the last meaningful match Dortmund won against Bayern. The important duels since then Bayern won - atleast if you do not count the preseason Supercup as an important match.

montpelier

First full season, Jurgen won't have sussed that his team will fall apart as soon as anyone mentions it's a marathon & not a sprint with 10 games left. Also, he's still an enormous bellend, long way to go yet.

<lumps on 5K, they look unbeatable>

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Coutinho's work rate in the first half was excellent and he whipped a wonderful ball for the opening goal. He wasn't eye-catching but he did a shift and made a big impact.

wr8_utd

:'(
Said it multiple times and I'll say it again, wish they'd won the Europa and had some bloody distraction from the league.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
First full season, Jurgen won't have sussed that his team will fall apart as soon as anyone mentions it's a marathon & not a sprint with 10 games left. Also, he's still an enormous bellend, long way to go yet.

<lumps on 5K, they look unbeatable>
He has too many average players in that squad. The likes of Lovren,Milner,Lucas,Henderson,Lallana etc is why they are finishing around 6th-8th regularly. They can game raise but over a whole season they will fall short.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff

Must be a hard call with someone like Coutinho because he can play badly then pull off a bit of magic so hard to know when to pull him off. He didn't look pleased getting subbed tonight.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
They have players like Coutinho who randomly decides he can't be assed sometimes and that costs them.
When City play Liverpool he's the player I fear getting the ball the most, in spite of his inconsistency. He deserves credit because he might go missing in games but he can turn up regardless of the opposition. With players of his style you normally find they are flat-track bullies, yet Coutinho can almost single-handedly decide a game when he has a good day.

Treble

He's doing his job, Liverpool look better than last season and have no European distraction as well.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
He has too many average players in that squad. The likes of Lovren,Milner,Lucas,Henderson,Lallana etc is why they are finishing around 6th-8th regularly. They can game raise but over a whole season they will fall short.
They're not average.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
When City play Liverpool he's the player I fear getting the ball the most, in spite of his inconsistency. He deserves credit because he might go missing in games but he can turn up regardless of the opposition. With players of his style you normally find they are flat-track bullies, yet Coutinho can almost single-handedly decide a game when he has a good day.

Killer shot on him, even when he has an off-day, when he can be bothered he's very dangerous all-round. Fine eye for a pass, cross, etc. Liverpool under Klopp are a bother.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
He's definitely a big game player. It's against the smaller teams he is sometimes anonymous.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Coutinho's work rate in the first half was excellent and he whipped a wonderful ball for the opening goal. He wasn't eye-catching but he did a shift and made a big impact.
Ah I forgot about his cross for the first goal which was very good. I think he struggled as the game went on though and looked tired in the second half.
You'll beat hull by four or five. The Swansea one might be more tricky though.
I think that's a bit harsh on Hull, they look like a tough side to break down. Swansea are always good against the bigger sides at home so that's one I'm concerned about.
Must be a hard call with someone like Coutinho because he can play badly then pull off a bit of magic so hard to know when to pull him off. He didn't look pleased getting subbed tonight.
Definitely. When he's playing well he's one you'd hate to play against but he doesn't do it consistently enough for me.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
Only truly surprising result has been the win at Emirates. Last season they also won at SB, beat Leicester at Anfield, and drew at WHL.

And we know how that ended ;)

Performances have obviously been good but IMO don't tell us much new about Klopp's Liverpool.

izec

They are genuine contenders for top 4 and maybe even more. Once they go on a run, we will start sweating. If everything goes for them and i mean really everything, they can fight for the league, like that one season. They dont have much pressure, their players look better than i have seen them the last years and they just have the league as the major competition. They work as a team. If they win the next 2 games against lesser opposition, it could get funny