Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

Evonomist

Supports
AC Milan
Building a title winning team is difficult but seeing that team decline and having to do that process all over at the same club, whilst keeping them in the mix is virtually unknown for any manager outside of SAF in modern times.

There is a good chance Klopp becomes the next Wenger. Built a title winning team but will never be able to hit those heights again so him and pool just linger around 2nd tier for the rest of his career.

If he moves to a new team whilst he still has it in him he could probably build another top team somewhere.

I think Wengers biggest mistake was staying at Arsenal for so long. He could have gone somewhere else when the decline set in and replicated what he did at Arsenal at a new club rather than trying to revive them.
Pep? The team that won with 100 points is totally different from last year’s team. In before people bringing up his net spend. When it is all said and done, Pep will be known as a better manager than Alex, and I dont think he is the best of this generation.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Building a title winning team is difficult but seeing that team decline and having to do that process all over at the same club, whilst keeping them in the mix is virtually unknown for any manager outside of SAF in modern times.

There is a good chance Klopp becomes the next Wenger. Built a title winning team but will never be able to hit those heights again so him and pool just linger around 2nd tier for the rest of his career.

If he moves to a new team whilst he still has it in him he could probably build another top team somewhere.

I think Wengers biggest mistake was staying at Arsenal for so long. He could have gone somewhere else when the decline set in and replicated what he did at Arsenal at a new club rather than trying to revive them.
He should go to Madrid to take over from Ancelotti when he retires or is sacked. He can sign his most desired player Bellingham, and pair him with Camavinga and Tchouameni, for one hell of a midfield with the sort of engine he loves.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
He should move to Madrid if that position becomes vacant which knowing their median managerial turn over won't be far from now.

Edit: fecks sake the prior post already said it.

Bert_

Pep? The team that won with 100 points is totally different from last year’s team. In before people bringing up his net spend. When it is all said and done, Pep will be known as a better manager than Alex, and I dont think he is the best of this generation.
He's obviously a great manager but he inherited pretty much the entire Barca team that he managed. Then jumped ship after they peaked.

Took over a Bayern team that were already dominant domestically and looked set to dominate Europe with an extra push (he couldn't provide that).

Then moved to City who had a title winning team but still went all out preparing for his arrival including a complete restructure of their backroom staff. Then was then given an unlimited budget to buy his perfect team, then continued to receive unlimited funds to keep replenishing that team at will. Including buying players for top level transfer fees just to test them out to see if they worked.

Has he really ever experienced a challenge or had to overcome anything in his managerial career?

Last edited:

Bert_

He should go to Madrid to take over from Ancelotti when he retires or is sacked. He can sign his most desired player Bellingham, and pair him with Camavinga and Tchouameni, for one hell of a midfield with the sort of engine he loves.
He should move to Madrid if that position becomes vacant which knowing their median managerial turn over won't be far from now.

Edit: fecks sake the prior post already said it.
I don't think Klopp would work at Madrid. They demand instant success and it takes Klopp a while to build his teams. Unless they are willing to accept a transition then it won't work out for either of them. I could see him at Bayern though. Doubt it would happen but would be interesting to see him taking over Atletico if Simeone ever leaves!

Evonomist

Supports
AC Milan
He's obviously a great manager but he inherited a pretty much the entire team Barca team that he managed. Then jumped ship after they peaked.

Took over a Bayern team that were already dominant domestically and looked set to dominate Europe with an extra push (he couldn't provide that).

Then moved to City who had a title winning team but still went all out preparing for his arrival including a complete restructure of their backroom staff. Then was then given an unlimited budget to buy his perfect team, then continued to receive unlimited funds to keep replenishing that team at will. Including buying players for top level transfer fees just to test them out to see if they worked.

Has he really ever experienced a challenge or had to overcome anything in his managerial career?
You can also make the argument that Alex was afraid of finding new challenges and stayed at Man Utd for his whole career where he had a complacent life with everything under control. During the period 2003-2006 Man Utd won nothing yet he still managed to keep his job. Or compare Alex to someone like Claudio Ranieri who had very little resoursces and won the Premier League (much bigger achievement than what Alex did in Scotland).
Claudio = least resources, won the least. But that Premier League title with Leicester is probably the biggest football achievement in the last 50 years, closely follow by Mourinho treble perhaps.
Alex = more resources than Claudio but not unlimited, still won a lot
Pep = Unlimited resources (but he didn’t spend that much more than other teams, at least officially). Right now slightly behind Alex, so Alex is still the best manager of all time. But in a few years Pep will surpass in terms of trophies.

There are arguments against and for all these 3, but none would say Claudio is the best amongst these three. Each person will have his or her own opinion. But in the end what will be remembered is the number of trophies won and the style in which they did it. And right now Pep is only slightly behind Alex, so I rate him slighly below. But that will change very soon (perhaps even by the end of this season if he can do a UCL and Premier League double), and I am pretty confident to say that.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I don't think Klopp would work at Madrid. They demand instant success and it takes Klopp a while to build his teams. Unless they are willing to accept a transition then it won't work out for either of them. I could see him at Bayern though. Doubt it would happen but would be interesting to see him taking over Atletico if Simeone ever leaves!
His options are limited to be honest if he's not willing to consider bayern and nay other pl teams , assuming he still gets the la liga title (which would be logical looking at barca's demise) i say he could possibly make it.

Castia

Nobody can deny Pep is a great manager. His style of football and trophy haul prove him to be among the best.

But….his style only works for clubs that can spend money and get world class players to suit his passing style of play, he took over at City with a quality squad and still struggled the first year and needed x amount of millions to get the ball rolling.

If Pep took over Milan with a limited budget and playing squad he’d struggle and Milan are a massive club. If he was to take over a mid table side he’d be fired within 12 months because his style just wouldn’t be viable. If Pep was Everton manager now they’d be relegated this season.

SAF built numerous sides at clubs that hadn’t won anything for years that’s where he will always be a proven great.

Bert_

You can also make the argument that Alex was afraid of finding new challenges and stayed at Man Utd for his whole career where he had a complacent life with everything under control. During the period 2003-2006 Man Utd won nothing yet he still managed to keep his job. Or compare Alex to someone like Claudio Ranieri who had very little resoursces and won the Premier League (much bigger achievement than what Alex did in Scotland).
Claudio = least resources, won the least. But that Premier League title with Leicester is probably the biggest football achievement in the last 50 years, closely follow by Mourinho treble perhaps.
Pep = Unlimited resources (but he didn’t spend that much more than other teams, at least officially). Right now slightly behind Alex, so Alex is still the best manager of all time. But in a few years Pep will surpass in terms of trophies.

There are arguments against and for all these 3, but none would say Claudio is the best amongst these three. Each person will have his or her own opinion. But in the end what will be remembered is the number of trophies won and the style in which they did it. And right now Pep is only slightly behind Alex, so I rate him slighly below. But that will change very soon (perhaps even by the end of this season if he can do a UCL and Premier League double), and I am pretty confident to say that.
Depends on what you define as the bigger challenge. Being successful at multiple clubs vs long term sustained success at one club. Lots of managers have done the former. Not many the latter. Also, during the period of 03-06 we had to console ourselves with just the two cups we won and not the league title. He made up for it though with another 5 league titles and a CL trophy over the next 7 years.

Don't bring Ranieri into this. As great as it was to see, it was a complete fluke and he was sacked 6 months after it happened. Not done anything before or after that of any significance.

I've said my piece about Pep.

tom8888sa

Supports
neutral
Pep straight fraud. Lets see this guy win something without surrounded by insane talent

He reminds me of managers that inherited super sales stars.

I do love his teams though

KetilOwren88

I see your point, but Fergie and Pep’s careers are so different from eachother so it’s impossible to compare. Pep is a trophy grossist for sure, and while the same can be said about Fergie, his biggest strength was to build a club from top to bottom, and to renew his teams over and over again. I will take nothing away from Guardiola, but he has never done that in his career and that’s why I find it very hard to compare them.

Bert_

Or compare Alex to someone like Claudio Ranieri who had very little resoursces and won the Premier League (much bigger achievement than what Alex did in Scotland).
What SAF did at Aberdeen is comparable to what Simeone has done at Atletico. He did all that before he went to United.

Simeone
2 La Liga
1 Copa del Ray
2 Europa League

SAF
3 Scottish Premier Divisions
4 Scottish Cups
1 Scottish League Cup
1 Cup Winners Cup (which was far bigger trophy than the UEFA/Europa Cup back then)

Ranieri doesn't come anywhere near.

Evonomist

Supports
AC Milan
I see your point, but Fergie and Pep’s careers are so different from eachother so it’s impossible to compare. Pep is a trophy grossist for sure, and while the same can be said about Fergie, his biggest strength was to build a club from top to bottom, and to renew his teams over and over again. I will take nothing away from Guardiola, but he has never done that in his career and that’s why I find it very hard to compare them.
It will always be subjective. Just like there will always be people saying Ronaldo is better than Messi (which is totally understandable), but most will say Messi is better. Alex vs Pep is kind of the same. Pep is not the Messi of manager yet though, he needs to win at least 1 more Champions League and like 5 more domestic title, but I think he has a high chance of doing so and once he can do that most will say Pep is better.
Pep straight fraud. Lets see this guy win something without surrounded by insane talent

He reminds me of managers that inherited super sales stars.

I do love his teams though
So is it the squad or the manager? Some people here say Scholes is the best midfielder of all time, Rio and Vidic best centre back pair of all time, and so on. You can’t have it both ways.

Mr. Robot

What SAF did at Aberdeen is comparable to what Simeone has done at Atletico. He did all that before he went to United.

Simeone
2 La Liga
1 Copa del Ray
2 Europa League

SAF
3 Scottish Premier Divisions
4 Scottish Cups
1 Scottish League Cup
1 Cup Winners Cup (which was far bigger trophy than the UEFA/Europa Cup back then)

Ranieri doesn't come anywhere near.
This is a Klopp thread. Why is every thread seemingly polluted with off topic comments these days?!

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Klopp won't truly want Madrid as those are the clubs he's always despised historically. Obviously that might change as the whole football world is being oiled up for a rogering.

Ironically, Liverpool may soon become the very club that Klopp despises. :( :mad:

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Klopp won't truly want Madrid as those are the clubs he's always despised historically. Obviously that might change as the whole football world is being oiled up for a rogering.

Ironically, Liverpool may soon become the very club that Klopp despises. :( :mad:
Same as he despised clubs that payed ridiculous amounts of money for players ?

12 months before doing exactly that ?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Not sure that is true at all.
Everyone knows he's picked the piss easy jobs or inherited all time legendary players to help him.

Fergie build his empires from nothing.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This is a Klopp thread. Why is every thread seemingly polluted with off topic comments these days?!
Because people think they can post inflammatory comparisons on managers and they need instant correcting.

Terrific Tangerine

Supports
Blackpool
Nie zum FC Bayern München gehen.

Red4Ever

Cork; home of Cantwell, Irwin, Keane and Vidic-wel

he managed other clubs to big success before man United

Bert_

It will always be subjective. Just like there will always be people saying Ronaldo is better than Messi (which is totally understandable), but most will say Messi is better. Alex vs Pep is kind of the same. Pep is not the Messi of manager yet though, he needs to win at least 1 more Champions League and like 5 more domestic title, but I think he has a high chance of doing so and once he can do that most will say Pep is better.

So is it the squad or the manager? Some people here say Scholes is the best midfielder of all time, Rio and Vidic best centre back pair of all time, and so on. You can’t have it both ways.
None of them where here when SAF started. All of Pep's best players at Barca where already first teamers when he took over. He took over a team that had already won a couple of leagues and a CL and then spent a huge amount of money refreshing it and experimenting with various players.

SAF and Klopp built their teams from scratch.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
None of them where here when SAF started. All of Pep's best players at Barca where already first teamers when he took over. He took over a team that had already won a couple of leagues and a CL and then spent a huge amount of money refreshing it and experimenting with various players.

Those Barcelona team he inherited just had 2 seasons trophyless and finished 18ppints behind Madrid

The City team that won last season was built almost entirely by Pep.

Bert_

Those Barcelona team he inherited just had 2 seasons trophyless and finished 18ppints behind Madrid

Point is that the teams he took over were already successful. He just had to tweak them rather than build from scratch. He has spent over £1 billion tweaking a title winning City team to what it is now.

Anyway, I'll say no more on this in a Klopp thread. Happy to discuss further in a Pep thread.

AJ VII

Haha if I was a journo I would've loved to pull Klopps leg two days a week. So easy and he gets so frustrated, going into superlong rants instead of ignoring the stupid questions and move on.

Hope for a nice Brighton win today to make him more angry and frustrated in the post match interview.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Pep will never been Sir Alex's equal. While I think he did more work in elevating Barca than people give him credit for, it doesn't compare to Sir Alex rebuilding a historically great but for long broken football club into a footballing bohemoth. He basically did a Klopp (built a modern day top team) and a Pep (sustained machine like success for ages). And Pep's resources and being a coach rather than a manager in the holistic sense (more a British thing) also counts.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Correct. Which is why it's wrong to say that he walked into a perfect situation. However I remember watching Barcelona regularly during that period and they were being managed poorly is all. They weren't losing to a great Madrid and their situation was not a reflection of the quality they had at all. It's different to a team that'd actually mediocre. They were controlling games but just managing to screw up as Rijkaard has lost his way with the team. It was evident that it wasn't a gargantuan task to get them challenging for titles soon.

That's impossible not to do 6 years into a job. But rebuilding a team like Klopp or Arteta did from a position of weakness and an eye on one's pockets is different to Pep and blank cheque state funded City.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral

Nobody though in 2008 that Iniesta and Xavi were gonna become the goat midfielders of 21 century.
As starters as they were, neither of the spanish players of Barca were highly rated as one of the best ever before Guardiola took over.

Rijkard's Barcelona was nowhere near as dominant as Pep's Barca.

Bert_

Nobody though in 2008 that Iniesta and Xavi were gonna become the goat midfielders of 21 century.
As starters as they were, neither of the spanish players of Barca were highly rated as one of the best ever before Guardiola took over.

Rijkard's Barcelona was nowhere near as dominant as Pep's Barca.
Very few players are considered the best until they've proved it for over a period of time.

Xavi and Iniesta had won 2 league titles and a champions league as established first team players when pep took over.

Pep got gifted two of the greatest midfielders of all time coming into their peak. And then had a young Messi to utilise fully who Rijkard had blooded over the previous couple of seasons.

He made them better for sure. But its not like he dragged them up from the gutter. Any decent manager would have won multiple titles with what he inherited.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Very few players are considered the best until they've proved it for over a period of time.

Xavi and Iniesta had won 2 league titles and a champions league as established first team players when pep took over.

Pep got gifted two of the greatest midfielders of all time coming into their peak. And then had a young Messi to utilise fully who Rijkard had blooded over the previous couple of seasons.

He made them better for sure. But its not like he dragged them up from the gutter. Any decent manager would have won multiple titles with what he inherited.
In 2008 just before Pep, Barcelona was about to sell Xavi to Bayern as he was considered to small to play in midfield. Xavi was called the cancer of Barcelona not someone that's a potential midfield all timer

Bert_

In 2008 just before Pep, Barcelona was about to sell Xavi to Bayern as he was considered to small to play in midfield. Xavi was called the cancer of Barcelona not someone that's a potential midfield all timer
Where they? Don't remember that at all! Have you got a link or reference for that? Especially the bit about Xavi being "a cancer"?

I remember him being Spain's best player at the Euros in 2008 (just before pep took over) and everyone fawning over him. As they should have.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Kind of agree with him.
I'm not that sure what point he's tryin to make. Is he saying to the journalist you're bound to realise we have no money and this is why we are not buying players, and you've heard me saying this 6000 times. It's surely worth quizzing him on it to see if it's due to funds or midfield options available when he spent 85 million in the summer on Nunez and 35m on Gakpo which he had less of a need for