Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

Giggs86

They are a shoe-in for top 4 no matter what happens but looking at their form, they will challenge for the title but its still early in the season. I reckon Tottenham or Chelsea might take their place if they drop off.
See, that's exactly the Arsenal boom cycle which has literally happened for the past 12 years.

Blackwidow

Liverpool are looking pretty impressive so far but it won't last. Klopp's teams are notorious for burning out towards the end of the season due to the high intensity pressing. They have some good players but no squad depth; this will be their downfall.
Which of Klopp's teams was notorious for that? Notorious for burning out towards the end of a match - yes - but not of the season.

The only season they might have gone slower in the Bundesliga at the end of the season could have been 2012/13 when they reached the CL final and Bayern won the Bundesliga title very early. But 10/12, 11/12, 13/14 and 14/15 they had strong last weeks. They usually lost their points on Bayern during the weeks in all competitions - not when they only competeted in only one.

But - I looked into Liverpool's data today and for me it was pretty surprising. They play about 100 more passes a match than Dortmund did, have higher ball possession and passing quotes than Dortmund did - even in their best years. The data looks like Klopp changed his philosophy a little now, too - and mixes ball possession with counter attacking much more than he did before.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Which of Klopp's teams was notorious for that? Notorious for burning out towards the end of a match - yes - but not of the season.

The only season they might have gone slower in the Bundesliga at the end of the season could have been 2012/13 when they reached the CL final and Bayern won the Bundesliga title very early. But 10/12, 11/12, 13/14 and 14/15 they had strong last weeks. They usually lost their points on Bayern during the weeks in all competitions - not when they only competeted in only one.

But - I looked into Liverpool's data today and for me it was pretty surprising. They play about 100 more passes a match than Dortmund did, have higher ball possession and passing quotes than Dortmund did - even in their best years. The data looks like Klopp changed his philosophy a little now, too - and mixes ball possession with counter attacking much more than he did before.
Also, it could be more possession because teams in England are less likely to press them than teams in Germany were.

Green_Red

Liverpool = lucky , other teams = grind out a result sign of a good team
Penos are largely luck no matter what team wins them. Sometimes you get them sometimes you dont. Id say 18 out of 20 times. Yous could play that game 20 times but yous would only win it 18.

Is this Liverpools best start to a season in 26 years? Do you think this is your year?

I reckon yous might go one better this year and get to March before you start saying next years our year...

Just jokes man... you can understand why we'd be sceptical of Liverpools chances, if I had £10 for every year a liverpool supporter told me this was their year Id have exactly £260. To put that in context for a scouser thats practically 2 weeks dole!!! Unbelievable Jeff!

Last edited:

Reddevilboy

Supports
Brexit
I know the rival banters and all.

But, it is funny people come in and say oh hey they will drop off and lose a lot later because basically they are playing too good now.

Well, we wish we had that kind of problem to worry when we played that kind of football.
I was just responding to Giggs86 post on who might take their place if they do drop off but I don't actually think they would drop off. They are extremely impressive this season and I do think they will challenge for the title this season, head-to-head with City.

Last edited:

I was just responding to Giggs86 post on who might take their place if they do drop off but I don't actually think they would drop off. They are extremely impressive this season and I do think they will challenge for the title this city, head-to-head with City.
Their goals conceded is in the bottom half of the league. They need to address that if they really want to challenge. It will be impossible to score 2+ goals in all 38 games.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Their goals conceded is in the bottom half of the league. They need to address that if they really want to challenge. It will be impossible to score 2+ goals in all 38 games.
5 of the 10 goals we've conceded occurred in our first 2 games (Arsenal 4-3 & Burnley 0-2). Since then we've let in the same as City (5) & 2 less than United & Chelsea (7). Not forgetting also that 5 of our first 7 matches have been away from home. We're still not perfect but the set-up is such that we'll score a hell of a lot more than we'll concede. It's also worth remembering that we finished 2nd in 2014 despite having a goals against total that would have most teams in the lower half of the table.

Treble

To be fair, no team needs to win all 38 games in order to win the league, let alone to make the top 4. Leicester became champions by winning just 23 games. This season 23 wins won't probably be enough but their defensive problems aren't much worse than those of the other contenders. Chelsea conceded 3 vs Arsenal, United conceded 3 vs Watford, City almost conceded 3 vs Spurs, etc. Too early to tell whether Liverpool are going to challenge though. Injuries to key players may derail their season. They don't have enough quality on the bench.

SirScholes

oh really?
Yes because no throphies are handed out in October.
I'm frustrated with the team as they can do better, where as Liverpool are at their good level. We aren't that far away from them and that's despite playing mediocre imagine what will happen when we click

The United

I'm frustrated with the team as they can do better, where as Liverpool are at their good level. We aren't that far away from them and that's despite playing mediocre imagine what will happen when we click
Talking about delusional.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
You aren't that far away despite playing mediocre football against the dross, except for city. We're ahead despite having played 5 out of 7 away from home, including 3 of our direct rivals, with vastly better football.

You have a long way to go - I still have no idea what approach Mourinho is actually trying to implement when watching you.

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.

Was just about to post something similar.

Garf

As much as I detest the club why not? At this time last year who would have said that Leicester would end up as champions

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Just jokes man... you can understand why we'd be sceptical of Liverpools chances, if I had £10 for every year a liverpool supporter told me this was their year Id have exactly £260. To put that in context for a scouser thats practically 2 weeks dole!!! Unbelievable Jeff!
To be fair over the past three years plenty on here have backed United to win the league. We all overrate our own team

Big Andy

Bloke
We have to beat these when we play them...

It's very concerning how well they've started the season...

The soft penalties help, obviously...

mark_a

It's important to remember that Liverpool are at make or break stage, after bedding in, Klopp has to start delivering improvement and consistency. Failure or slippage at this stage and the "is he the right man?" whispers will start. Only quietly, but they will.

Of course, the big advantage Liverpool have is that there's simply less pressure on them than United. Yes there's pressure from fans, but the press isn't looking for anything, no matter how small, to fit into a team-in-decline narrative, like they are with United. I actually think the opposite is true, with Liverpool the pundits are always looking for things to fit into a "Liverpool are on the up" narrative. Makes sense really, certainly explains how the Prem Trophy was basically "given" to them the other season, before that bit of "slippage".

Stacks

Penos are largely luck no matter what team wins them. Sometimes you get them sometimes you dont. Id say 18 out of 20 times. Yous could play that game 20 times but yous would only win it 18.

Is this Liverpools best start to a season in 26 years? Do you think this is your year?

I reckon yous might go one better this year and get to March before you start saying next years our year...

absolutely savage.

ObelOitment Fungentula

Supports
Liverpool

If I had £10 for everyone on this forum who thought Man United were going to win the title this season I'd have exactly £8,130. To put that in context for the average United supporting Cafite that's practically 1700 portions of phat kaphrao.

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.
If I had £10 for everyone on this forum who thought Man United were going to win the title this season I'd have exactly £8,130. To put that in context for the average United supporting Cafite that's practically 1700 portions of phat kaphrao.

Classic .

:D

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Brilliant!

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
The transformation is very impressive. This is by and large still the squad that got hammered by 6-1 by Stoke and lost to Villa in the FA cup semi only 16 months ago.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
The transformation is very impressive. This is by and large still the squad that got hammered by 6-1 by Stoke and lost to Villa in the FA cup semi only 16 months ago.
Is it bollocks. Let's not try to pretend your squad hasn't had a fair amount of change.

Your squad vs Stoke that lost 6-1:

Mignolet
Can
K Touré - released
Skrtel - sold
Sakho - ostracized
Moreno
Henderson
Lucas
Allen - sold
Lambert - sold
Coutinho
Gerrard - left
Lallana
Lovren
Sterling - sold
Ibe - sold
Markovic - sent out on loan
Ward - ditto

Last edited:

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I'll get excited if we're still competing at the turn of the year, and even then there's still a long way to go. For all the praise we've received over the last couple of weeks, we're still only in fourth place. Pep and his superior City squad are a pretty safe bet to finish in front of us, Spurs look as strong as any team in the league and Arsenal is Arsenal and already have the same amount of points as we do. That means we have to hold off a Mourinho-led United and Conte-led Chelsea who are both still finding their identity at the moment. Saying that we're guaranteed top four is just absurd right now. I know we've had by far the hardest fixture list and our upcoming matches until mid-December makes me happy and hopeful, but we have to stay focused and definitely not think we've already made it.

One can dream tho.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Is it bollocks. Let's not try to pretend your squad hasn't had a fair amount of change.

Your squad vs Stoke that lost 6-1:

Mignolet
Can
K Touré - released
Skrtel - sold
Sakho - ostracized
Moreno
Henderson
Lucas
Allen - sold
Lambert - sold
Coutinho
Gerrard - left
Lallana
Lovren
Sterling - sold
Ibe - sold
Markovic - sent out on loan
Ward - ditto
Out of the 11 that started that day, 8 are still around and feature in the first team..

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Out of the 18 in the squad, 10 are no longer at the club.
Mignolet, Moreno, Can & Lucas are subs by and large as well.
Can isn't a sub, he's just been unlucky with injuries so far this season, and the fact he came back very late after the Euros.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Can isn't a sub, he's just been unlucky with injuries so far this season, and the fact he came back very late after the Euros.
That's fair enough then but proclaim this is more or less the same squad as 16 months ago is bollocks, as it clearly isn't.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
You'd think Liverpool fans would try to curb the casual racism, given events of the last few years.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Famous sense of humour.

"It's funnee cus it's abar Asians and noodles and tha la, hahahaah"
Notice you didn't mention that it was in response to a similarly lighthearted dig at scousers and the dole?

Both comments were nothing more than a bit of fun - mountains and molehills. Come on mate - your comments are PC gone ott.