g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
That is utter utter nonsense. You think the likes of Herrera, Schneiderlin, Depay, even Rooney won't be able to learn how to press as a collective unit?
Depay and Rooney no. Schneiderlin and Herrera definitely can. You didn't list those two though.

NK86

Moyes did have a honeymoon period.

Except, his honeymoon period was essentially muscle memory from Ferguson's time on the part of the players.

I also don't think this is a honeymoon period really. For a manager of klopp's quality, there were low hanging fruits to pick with this team by organising the defence and making them play coherent football going forwards. The level of these players were being dragged down by Rodgers' management over his last 14 months.
I think your defense has not looked much better than what I saw under Rodgers. But your general attacking play has improved and there is a flow in your attacks which I just don't see in our team.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
If Lallana can learn, so can Rooney.

NK86

Depay and Rooney no. Schneiderlin and Herrera definitely can. You didn't list those two though.
Who did I not list? And you think Depay won't be able to? Based on what exactly!

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I think your defense has not looked much better than what I saw under Rodgers. But your general attacking play has improved and there is a flow in your attacks which I just don't see in our team.
Our defence is vastly improved. Still room for improvement, but I am no longer shitting bricks that we'll concede when we score and when we want to see out a game, we do it like you would expect a decent defence to do.

Under Rodgers there was an air of inevitability that the opposition would score when we were in defending mode. It boggles the mind how for three years he could be so poor at organising and training the defence.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Who did I not list? And you think Depay won't be able to? Based on what exactly!
His attitude, playing style and what I saw of him for United and PSV. Also, his physique suggests he wouldn't sustain it effectively.

You didn't list Shlchneiderlin and Herrera. You listed Mata, Rooney, Depay and Martial. I said none of those (Possibly Martial) would be able to adapt to Klopps playing style.

NK86

His attitude, playing style and what I saw of him for United and PSV. Also, his physique suggests he wouldn't sustain it effectively.

You didn't list Shlchneiderlin and Herrera. You listed Mata, Rooney, Depay and Martial. I said none of those (Possibly Martial) would be able to adapt to Klopps playing style.
That is utter utter nonsense. You think the likes of Herrera, Schneiderlin, Depay, even Rooney won't be able to learn how to press as a collective unit?
I think you have confused me with someone else. I clearly mentioned Schneiderlin and Herrera in my post quoted above. Also, Rooney and Depay can both learn how to press. These are professional footballers. It is not like I am talking about a pub player. You discredit the affect of coaching on team. If the likes of Lallana can, I am sure these two can as well.

NK86

Our defence is vastly improved. Still room for improvement, but I am no longer shitting bricks that we'll concede when we score and when we want to see out a game, we do it like you would expect a decent defence to do.

Under Rodgers there was an air of inevitability that the opposition would score when we were in defending mode. It boggles the mind how for three years he could be so poor at organising and training the defence.
I agree that it has improved but it is not that great. I still think you guys are quite open.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
I honestly think Klopp will win the title for Liverpool.
No chance. But he'll make them a contender for Top 4 this season. Chances are good that they can actually reacht this.

Classical Mechanic

We do press as a team, it is just that Van Gaal's method is more structured than Klopp's. Our players know their correct positioning for each phase of play, with and without the ball. It is one of the reasons that we have the best defensive record, I think in the 9 games since Arsenal we have conceded two goals and they were both penalties.

If we had a top forward player we would be clear at the top of the league IMO.

Coxy

We do press as a team, it is just that Van Gaal's method is more structured than Klopp's. Our players know their correct positioning for each phase of play, with and without the ball. It is one of the reasons that we have the best defensive record, I think in the 9 games since Arsenal we have conceded two goals and they were both penalties.

If we had a top forward player we would be clear at the top of the league IMO.
Only because others (city and arsenal) aren't at their best. You're so boring to watch compared to how you used to be - Klopp is a great manager - it's a shame you guys have LVG over him...

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Only because others (city and arsenal) aren't at their best. You're so boring to watch compared to how you used to be - Klopp is a great manager - it's a shame you guys have LVG over him...
Crap. They both have flaws in their squad like us. You could also make a strong claim that we are not playing to our full potential.

We are boring though.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
I think you have confused me with someone else. I clearly mentioned Schneiderlin and Herrera in my post quoted above. Also, Rooney and Depay can both learn how to press. These are professional footballers. It is not like I am talking about a pub player. You discredit the affect of coaching on team. If the likes of Lallana can, I am sure these two can as well.
The post I replied to begin with didn't state Schneiderlin or Herrera. That was the post you replied to.

Classical Mechanic

Crap. They both have flaws in their squad like us. You could also make a strong claim that we are not playing to our full potential.

We are boring though.
I too find that line of argument tedious.

Klopp's headless chicken pressing is better to watch though. I don't think they will beat us at Anfield, however.

Question234

VG thinks we have to have messi or Neymar to play the football of the standard to get far. Imagine what klopp could achieve with mata Rooney martial depay, bet depay would be an improved player under klopp
No one can do anything with rooney. He's finished and the club, manager and fans need to accept it if we want to move forward.

Treble

Klopp's headless chicken pressing is better to watch though. I don't think they will beat us at Anfield, however.
Why would he insist on "headless chicken pressing" though? Is he stupid? Would he have so much success if the pressing was "headless chicken"?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

Headless chicken pressing? Please, get a grip.

NoLogo

Why would he insist on "headless chicken pressing" though? Is he stupid? Would he have so much success if the pressing was "headless chicken"?
Of course it isn't but it makes for a better nerrative on the caf. Oh and don't forget his fake celebrations and hugs he started when he came to Liverpool just to improve his market value.

Classical Mechanic

How about rabid dog pressing?

They hunt in packs of three at insane intensity. Van Gaal's method squeezes space on the pitch by player being in the correct positions in each phase of defensive play to do that.

Klopp's method is more exciting, Van Gaal's more intelligent.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Klopp's method is more exciting, Van Gaal's more intelligent.
Surely the one that's more effective is the one that's more intelligent? That Klopp's is more exciting and van Gaal's more boring is a positive/negative sideeffect when it comes to entertainment.

Classical Mechanic

Surely the one that's more effective is the one that's more intelligent?
Given that Van Gaal has won far more than Klopp. He has won the league in three different countries, once in Holland with an outsider club and taken a poor squad to third place in the World Cup, I agree.

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
Given that Van Gaal has won far more than Klopp. He has won the league in three different countries, once in Holland with an outsider club and taken a poor squad to third place in the World Cup, I agree.
Given that LvG has been for decades longer in the coaching business than Klopp, your judgement is heavily biased.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
That doesn't tell us anything about which one is right now the more effective one. His World Cup side last year didn't even use any pressing at all, neither did his Bayern side. And in the last season Klopp and van Gaal faced each other one of them was fired and the other one rocked the league. I guess we'll find out over the next seasons which one is more effective in the Premier League (if van Gaal stays long enough at United to actually make a fair comparison).

Classical Mechanic

Given that LvG has been for decades longer in the coaching business than Klopp, your judgement is heavily biased.
Van Gaal has 13 more years in management than Klopp, has also taken two one year sabbaticals so you could reduce that to 11 years.

By the age 48 Van Gaal had won 5 league titles in two different countries, the Champions League, the UEFA Cup and two domestic Cups.

My view is not biased, it simply deals with the facts at hand and doesn't rely on projections or opinions.

Klopp is a novice compared to Van Gaal.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
This is ridiculous, Klopp has been successful for many years with his pressing focused approach, even in the CL - but as soon as he moves to the PL (of all leagues :lol:) and even seems to continue his success there it's deemed as a headless chicken approach :lol:

Van Gaal has 13 more years in management than Klopp, has also taken two one year sabbaticals so you could reduce that to 11 years.

By the age 48 Van Gaal had won 5 league titles in two different countries, the Champions League, the UEFA Cup and two domestic Cups.

My view is not biased, it simply deals with the facts at hand and doesn't rely on projections or opinions.

Yeah. Your arguments are so fact based that Scousers will cry themselves to sleep because they only got the novice instead of the master..

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool

Lots of manager have a better record than Klopp. But in 2015, right now, who would you prefer to be your manager - LvG or Klopp? That's a better discussion.

Crossie

Supports

The age at which somebody has achieved something is totally irrelevant. The number of titles without taking into consideration league strength is something else as well. Applying your reasoning, the most successful managers are the ones managing Celtic.

Classical Mechanic

Lots of manager have a better record than Klopp. But in 2015, right now, who would you prefer to be your manager - LvG or Klopp? That's a better discussion.
I would stick with LVG for now. I am not getting giddy or upset because Liverpool beat Southampton in the League Cup. In Liverpool's last home game they sneaked past Swansea 1-0 scoring a penalty whilst managing a pathetic 10 shots in the whole game, one more than Swansea. Aside from the City game Klopp's Liverpool have been poor and involved in dull games in the league.

The age at which somebody has achieved something is totally irrelevant. The number of titles without taking into consideration league strength is something else as well. Applying your reasoning, the most successful managers are the ones managing Celtic.
He won the Champions League with Ajax FFS. I suppose that level of competition doesn't match up to your standards.

Crossie

Supports
He won the Champions League with Ajax FFS. I suppose that level of competition doesn't match up to your standards.
Just continue to convince yourself that LvG is the better manager and disregard context. It's entertaining.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I refuse to be impressed. Bring back Brendan and his mentor.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I watched Pool vs Palace and Swansea in the league and they were a bit shit. Granted they were good vs City and Southampton but I don't think we should be getting worried yet. Brendan also got those kind of wins with pool, they are massively inconsistent and probably will continue to be until next season when Klopp can make decent acquisitions.

Question234

I can't lie I just watched the highlights of the Liverpool-Southampton game and my patience for LVG is beginning to thin.

They were class.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I can't lie I just watched the highlights of the Liverpool-Southampton game and my patience for LVG is beginning to thin.

They were class.
Watch the Liverpool vs Swansea highlights from Sunday (two shots on target)

izec

I was worried when they got him, some really havent realised how serious this is. Even saying good that Liverpool are back, while we still have LvG in charge is just crazy. Get Guardiola in at the end of the season, people will be surprised how good our team actually can play.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
I would stick with LVG for now. I am not getting giddy or upset because Liverpool beat Southampton in the League Cup. In Liverpool's last home game they sneaked past Swansea 1-0 scoring a penalty whilst managing a pathetic 10 shots in the whole game, one more than Swansea. Aside from the City game Klopp's Liverpool have been poor and involved in dull games in the league.
The problem with internet-based debate is that it becomes a nonsense very quickly. The bit in bold is an example of how a point-of-view leans on hyperbole and exaggeration to make a point. It's ok to argue in favour of LvG but why bother inventing stuff to emphasise a reasonable point?

Liverpool have won 7 of the last 8 games in all comps - why only judge him on the league? The football hasn't been perfect but at City, Southampton and Chelsea the football has been extremely good as was the opening 25 mins at the weekend. However, the Swansea game is a bad example to use - conditions were dreadful. Look across the results on Sunday in the PL. Hardly any goals or action as the weather was a killer. Compare to results on the Saturday.

Also, the point with Klopp isn't to base a judgment purely on the 11 games he's been in charge of; it's to see the trajectory of the performances in terms of quality and potential. Surely it's pretty obvious that the side is looking stronger and the squad isn't as average as some may have thought.

Question234

Watch the Liverpool vs Swansea highlights from Sunday (two shots on target)
I know they're inconsistent and they won't win the league. Nevertheless he's been there such a short time and the signs of improvement are very relevant though. I just can't figure out why it is taking us so long.