Klopp Confirmed Liverpool Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
It seems possible to break into this top 4 thing because teams keep doing it - Liverpool, Spurs, Everton. Doing it a 2nd time seems very difficult though, possibly because you then have CL games to cope with while you're trying to do it. And need a bigger squad with rotation issues etc

Unfortunately LFC expectations extend beyond even this, they want to think of themselves as CL contenders - as of right.

What Brendan is up to atm though? No idea, he could have started by fixing what can be fixed, GK, Lovren.. but he doesn't.
Liverpool often haven't really been a team that breaks into the top 4 though - they used to get it all the time. Spurs and Everton are more the anomalies who managed it once (Spurs twice in the top 4), and spend most of their time outside it.

Liverpool haven't been particularly disadvantaged financially compared to clubs like us and Arsenal; it's just been that some of their big money signings such as Carroll, Downing, Adam and numerous others have been utter dross. If they'd spent more wisely, they'd probably have made the top 4 a couple more times since 2010. If Klopp was to spend more wisely, he'd have a decent chance at getting them back into the top 4, but it's hard to firmly establish a side as a top 4 one permanently nowadays since it's hard to consistently do it: only Arsenal have done it every single year for the past six or seven, and they've teetered closely to falling out as well.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
doubt he's a target for many of those any more. He seems a bit damaged goods to me, not very much, but a little bit. Would Real, Barca or Chelsea really consider him?
Real Madrid went for Benitez ffs. They'd happily go for Klopp. Chelsea would struggle to do better than him either if Mourinho was to go.

montpelier

Liverpool often haven't really been a team that breaks into the top 4 though - they used to get it all the time. Spurs and Everton are more the anomalies who managed it once (Spurs twice in the top 4), and spend most of their time outside it.

Liverpool haven't been particularly disadvantaged financially compared to clubs like us and Arsenal; it's just been that some of their big money signings such as Carroll, Downing, Adam and numerous others have been utter dross. If they'd spent more wisely, they'd probably have made the top 4 a couple more times since 2010. If Klopp was to spend more wisely, he'd have a decent chance at getting them back into the top 4, but it's hard to firmly establish a side as a top 4 one permanently nowadays since it's hard to consistently do it: only Arsenal have done it every single year for the past six or seven, and they've teetered closely to falling out as well.
Yes, I think the ££££ waste is a good point. Like one 'top top' player each of the last 4 years. And team/squad gets weaker instead of stronger because you don't really get it back to spend again that often. (Suarez cash-wise as an exception)

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
He didn't take a Champions League side, he took a side that was where Liverpool are at the minute and took them to two titles and Champions League final against all odds.

fecking hell, I like him a lot, I cannot see myself ever disliking him, he can't go to Liverpool. We should make him a promise to employ him at the end of van Gaal contract and even pay him some money so he can travel the world for the next year before he comes. Whatever it takes.

But we'll get Giggs anyway.
Benitez took a Liverpool side, took them to two CL finals of which he won one and he was close to winning the league yet Benitez is a laughing stock. Can't say why Klopp couldn't become the same seeing as how he imploded himself.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
History don't mean nothing. If we would struggle last season to get top 4 finish we would struggle to attract players we bought this season - Schweinsteiger, Depay, Martial especially since the first wouldn't want to move from Bayern to a team without CL and the last two would go to other clubs since they had offers from Bayern, PSG (Depay) and Barcelona, Chelsea (Martial). You can argue that Schneiderlin would also probably moved to Arsenal if we wouldn't be in CL. One off season is a blip, they have what 5 seasons without CL with only a CL last season. The only positive for a new manager is that they have money to spend but if the owners want another rebuilding is up to a new debate - i don't think they want that.
The fact is, the fans and the board will demand at least top 4 from their manager and it is big task. Most managers would and will fail at that because to get them to top four they need their players to play in form of their life and that one of current top 4 teams have really bad season like we did in 13/14. Most manager will just crush their reputation there,

Saying something and doing that in the end is totally different thing. I don't think he had Liverpool in mind when he said that.
They're one of the biggest clubs in the world, largely because of their history, so it does count for something (millions of fans globally). They are in a similar position to us when Fergie arrived. They just need to find their own Fergie. Easier said than done mind .

mav_9me

Could it be that Favre resigned because he was sounded out about this job? Clutching at straws to avoid klopp to kop.

Jerch

They're one of the biggest clubs in the world, largely because of their history, so it does count for something (millions of fans globally). They are in a similar position to us when Fergie arrived. They just need to find their own Fergie. Easier said than done mind .
Yes history counts in a way that they still have quite big fanbase and can have a big revenue. But as i said i don't think that their owners are prepared to spend as big as we did to challenge for top 4 after all the money Rodgers already spend and since that money still wouldn't guarentee top 4 finish.

I agree with last part with few things to add:
1. there is no such thing as second Fergie
2. he needed 3/4 years if i remember right to get himself a PL trophy - time no Liverpool manager will get
3. he also needed some luck - Mark Robin goal
4. the gap between top 4 and the rest was much smaller. At that time only Liverpool was a team who was "better" then rest. Now there are 4 teams.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
I doubt he knows City or Chelsea as a plastic club though, or really cares, as he knows no rivalry with them. All he sees is a huge budget to play with and a successful team, against a Liverpool side thats won nothing in years.

Tbh teams like Chelsea, City and PSG have a very bad standing in Germany. I can see him taking over a traditional club like Liverpool over those any day. However in England he would surely prefer to join United > all.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Benitez took a Liverpool side, took them to two CL finals of which he won one and he was close to winning the league yet Benitez is a laughing stock. Can't say why Klopp couldn't become the same seeing as how he imploded himself.
Actually I think Liverpool were too quick to sack Benitez in 2010. Yes, they just had a very bad season in which they finished way below expectations but given his previous record I think he deserved another year to get things right. I'm not in favour of keeping managers for a long time after they've shown their ineptitude (see Moyes, wanted to get rid of him immediately) but when they had history of carrying a team out of problems (and Benitez did) then they deserve more time.

Benitez isn't really that terrible. Bar his spell at Inter which only lasted 6 months and no one has really done well at Inter ever since (they haven't even been in Champions League since that season) his record is solid - titltes with Valencia, CL with Liverpool, good performances at Napoli (albeit finished with poor 4th place and no CL). He's not great but not terrible either.

OutlawGER

Supports
How many bargains like that occur when it comes to EPL clubs, though?

Reus, for example, when he was bought by Dortmund, had just had a similar season to De Bruyne, yet KDB goes for close to 60m when City come in for him.
Well Reus was good for Gladbach, but in that season he was not as good as KdB was last season. KdB was truely a one man show. Also Reus had an release clause, otherwise he would have been much more expensive. The only impressive thing was, that Dortmund was able to get him even though Bayern was massively interested as well and were obviously willing to pay the release clause. I think without that clause his price would have been (almost) doubled.

But nothing will ever beat the transfers of Gündogan, Lewandowski and Hummels. For those 3 together they didn't even pay 15m€ and now they are worth almost 200. :lol:

Someone

Something
The liverpool job is still a big one, but what's the attraction for klopp here?

It's obviously not a step up in his career, and if he fails at this one there'll be no top clubs calling in the future.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
Actually I think Liverpool were too quick to sack Benitez in 2010. Yes, they just had a very bad season in which they finished way below expectations but given his previous record I think he deserved another year to get things right. I'm not in favour of keeping managers for a long time after they've shown their ineptitude (see Moyes, wanted to get rid of him immediately) but when they had history of carrying a team out of problems (and Benitez did) then they deserve more time.

Benitez isn't really that terrible. Bar his spell at Inter which only lasted 6 months and no one has really done well at Inter ever since (they haven't even been in Champions League since that season) his record is solid - titltes with Valencia, CL with Liverpool, good performances at Napoli (albeit finished with poor 4th place and no CL). He's not great but not terrible either.
Based on what's come out in Gerrard's book and how their players were at the time, I think it's clear Benitez lost the dressing room. No coming back from that. Liverpool's mistake was going for Hodgson at the time. Granted, they had ownership issues but had they brought in a higher caliber manager, they almost certainly would have have avoided some of the issues that have become commonplace since.

Bwuk

It's obviously not a step up in his career, and if he fails at this one there'll be no top clubs calling in the future.
Agreed. It'd be a daft move imo. That whole squad needs rebuild if they are ever to be title contenders. If he didn't do a great job it'd ruin his rep.

I think he'll wait till Rafa is sacked and end up at Madrid.

Jerch

Based on what's come out in Gerrard's book and how their players were at the time, I think it's clear Benitez lost the dressing room. No coming back from that. Liverpool's mistake was going for Hodgson at the time. Granted, they had ownership issues but had they brought in a higher caliber manager, they almost certainly would have have avoided some of the issues that have become commonplace since.
I just wonder who was available at that time? I looked at Hodgson CV and it is not an impressive one, why they did decided to take him?

Snow

That's not way to think.

Liverpool is an excellent job opportunity. Huge fanbase, history, expectations of a big club and a bunch of money to build what he wants.

OutlawGER

Supports
That's not way to think.

Liverpool is an excellent job opportunity. Huge fanbase, history, expectations of a big club and a bunch of money to build what he wants.
Expectations of a big club combined with continous failures and a team simply not good enough. Sounds like Schalke and a very terrible job. :lol:

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Liverpools expectations are what hurt them the most. Its been like this for a really long time.They need to readjust their expectations. They need to concentrate on playing football that is akin to the quality of their 70's and 80's teams. If they concentrate on the quality of football they play then the results will eventually follow. But because they have this mentality of being a big club they are trying to put the cart before the horse.

ThePlaymaker

I thought he was going to be the next Bayern manager tbh. Pep to City, Klopp to Bayern is how I imagined it. If anyone were to join Liverpool I'd imagine it would have been Carlo.
Pep to City will be the death of us mate. God forbid

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.

Klopp is a different breed. Genuinely don't think he's most motivated by what the majority of others in his profession are: prestige and money. He's the exact opposite of someone like Brendan Rodgers who's always looking to upgrade his CV. I think Klopp believes in himself and his ideas. And he likes a challenge. No doubt he'd be attracted by the romance of Liverpool's history and the opportunity to rebuild it into something great again. I think given enough time and support, he'll be a success wherever he goes. His personality and man-management skills shouldn't be discounted cos of one down year on the back of what has been a hugely successful run with Dortmund. As others have said, I'd be sad to see him go to Liverpool as I really, really like him and still harbored some small hope that he might be our next manager once LVG leaves.

Someone

Something
That's not way to think.

Financially they're behind at least 4 teams, they have an inferior squad to at least 4 or 5 teams, they keep losing any top player they develop, despite all that they want to be back in the CL, which is possible but it's really difficult job.

I think klopp is at a point in his career where needs to be at a top club with financial backing, to be able to build something special with players he could keep, to win trophies, liverpool would clearly be a step back in that regard.

Snow

Financially they're behind at least 4 teams, they have an inferior squad to at least 4 or 5 teams, they keep losing any top player they develop, despite all that they want to be back in the CL, which is possible but it's really difficult job.

I think klopp is at a point in his career where needs to be at a top club with financial backing, to be able to build something special with players he could keep, to win trophies, liverpool would clearly be a step back in that regard.
They've certainly not spent money like they're behind 4 teams. They're only going to get more money and they will have more money than any other team outside England besides PSG, Monaco, Barca, Real and Bayern.

They lose players because they keep on failing. If they don't fail they don't lose players (assuming manager and players get along).

Snow

Expectations of a big club combined with continous failures and a team simply not good enough. Sounds like Schalke and a very terrible job. :lol:
Expectations drives you forward. Why are the expectations a downside if he's supposed to handle it at a bigger club elsewhere?

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Yes history counts in a way that they still have quite big fanbase and can have a big revenue. But as i said i don't think that their owners are prepared to spend as big as we did to challenge for top 4 after all the money Rodgers already spend and since that money still wouldn't guarentee top 4 finish.

I agree with last part with few things to add:
1. there is no such thing as second Fergie
2. he needed 3/4 years if i remember right to get himself a PL trophy - time no Liverpool manager will get
3. he also needed some luck - Mark Robin goal
4. the gap between top 4 and the rest was much smaller. At that time only Liverpool was a team who was "better" then rest. Now there are 4 teams.
1: There is no 2nd anyone. Ferguson wasn't a 2nd Busby, he was his own man. They need to find a manager who is ready to reinvigorate a top club. It isn't all about money. It's about finding the right fit for this era. The Ferguson comment wasn't suggesting they need a clone, it was suggesting that they need a young, talented manager who is ready for the challenge of rebuilding a huge club.

2: Rodgers has already had 3 years. The right man will get 3 to 4 years if there is some sign of progression.

3: All managers need some luck.

4: The league was competitive in the 80s. Everton, Spurs and United had good sides. The League is arguably as competitive now as it has been for years. Just look at Swansea, West Ham and Palace. With the right manager and some decent signings they could challenge the top 4 in the short term and challenge for the title within 3/4 years. It's only 18 months since they challenged for the league. Things can change very quickly.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
This, tell me one manager who came out of this job as a winner. It is a club who can't attract good players, a club who always sell their best players, a club who is competing with 4 at the moment much better clubs and with fans who have unreasonable expectations because their history 25 years ago.
This. They are in a very slow and serious decline. All they have right now is history and a large and loyal support base.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
He will need time. He needs the right players to play his way. He'll need more than James Miller and plenty more of Countinho.

Jerch

1: There is no 2nd anyone. Ferguson wasn't a 2nd Busby, he was his own man. They need to find a manager who is ready to reinvigorate a top club. It isn't all about money. It's about finding the right fit for this era. The Ferguson comment wasn't suggesting they need a clone, it was suggesting that they need a young, talented manager who is ready for the challenge of rebuilding a huge club.

2: Rodgers has already had 3 years. The right man will get 3 to 4 years if there is some sign of progression.

3: All managers need some luck.

4: The league was competitive in the 80s. Everton, Spurs and United had good sides. The League is arguably as competitive now as it has been for years. Just look at Swansea, West Ham and Palace. With the right manager and some decent signings they could challenge the top 4 in the short term and challenge for the title within 3/4 years. It's only 18 months since they challenged for the league. Things can change very quickly.
I agree that there is no 2nd one but i just want to point out that SAF was one and only and it will be hard/impossible to match anything he did for any manager. Rodgers had 3 years just because that second season and as you mentioned yes they challenged for the title that season but it was all going in their favor - 3 of top 4 teams had new manager who needed time, we were struggling and i think Chelsea have thrown away the title that season as much as Liverpool did, 2 of their strikers was in the form of their life, some other players played beyond their ability also etc. But it was still not enough. I think they will find it hard that so many thing will go in their favor anytime soon.
As for the league to be as competitive as is now, i must admit i am too young to remember it since i was not even born in the 80s but as much as i read, watch and learned about the premier league back then the gap in the quality of teams was much smaller then it is now when top 4 have much stronger squad as the rest. Yes teams like Swansea, West Ham, Palace, Southampton, Liverpool, Tottenham, Everton etc. are good but not many players from that teams will come straight in into first eleven of the Arsenal, us, City or Chelsea.

And this will be a big problem for any Liverpool manager, how to get players who are level above and who would be starters for top 4 teams. Rodgers failed at this badly.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
I just wonder who was available at that time? I looked at Hodgson CV and it is not an impressive one, why they did decided to take him?
Reading something like this from Henry Winter, you get the sense the press were always a bit annoyed that a non-Brit was in charge of Liverpool:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...zs-successor-to-relight-the-Anfield-fire.html

Hodgson was coming off the "magical" run with Fulham in the Europa League so he was all the rage in England and I think Liverpool approached it like that, that Hodgson could steady the ship. Dalglish no doubt played a part. But you're right, there were fewer options at the time.

Jerch

Reading something like this from Henry Winter, you get the sense the press were always a bit annoyed that a non-Brit was in charge of Liverpool:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...zs-successor-to-relight-the-Anfield-fire.html

Hodgson was coming off the "magical" run with Fulham in the Europa League so he was all the rage in England and I think Liverpool approached it like that, that Hodgson could steady the ship. Dalglish no doubt played a part. But you're right, there were fewer options at the time.
Yeah but still they should do better with their manager pick back then. They should seen that City is emerging on the scene and that they could be a club which will fall out of top 4. At that time they were in similar position as we were in last season, one blip season but usually easily in top 4 and they could easily attract even the best managers.

prath92

Nigel Pearson is available isn't he? He may be a decent shout for them if they don't get klopp. He seems to be like the midtable/lower table van gaal.

MDFC Manager

Real Madrid went for Benitez ffs. They'd happily go for Klopp. Chelsea would struggle to do better than him either if Mourinho was to go.
As much as we loath him, Benitez is a more proven manager than Klopp.

Jerch

Meh he didn't do anything special since a CL win with Liverpool. He started Liverpool downfall, took apart treble winning team at Inter and finished 5 last season with Napoli which was imo underachievement.

Shiva87

Proven maybe, but would you dislike Benitez joining Liverpool or Klopp? Klopp is the kind of manager who has a great eye for talent, plays attractive quick football and is a dynamic character. He got Dortmund (which was in shambles before him) back on the German football and European football map. He would have won more at Dortmund if he didn't have Bayern picking off his top players season after season. Benitez hasn't rebuild a club like that.

Edit: Just read the news articles linking him to liverpool and they all seem exaggerated. No real story or quote there, only speculation that Rodgers is under threat.

Last edited:

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
Jurgen Klopp 'wants Premier League job' as Liverpool speculation intensifies

It's amazing that in spite of the vastly inaccurate coverage of English media on German players, clubs, managers and coaches of the past, there are still people who believe such stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.