Klopp to leave Liverpool at the end of the season

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It was a rumour that stuck because it's fun to diminish what Liverpool won. There was never any evidence at all.
Thank you. Was hoping someone would say it's true.

It would be fun indeed.

RedRocket9908

Far too much is made of Klopps one and only Premier League title win with Liverpool, it was an achievement but its important to remember that their one anly title win came in a season where they were they were the only team in the title race all season long so they were not at any point under-pressure from any other club to get results.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Far too much is made of Klopps one and only Premier League title win with Liverpool, it was an achievement but its important to remember that their one anly title win came in a season where they were they were the only team in the title race all season long so they were not at any point under-pressure from any other club to get results.
Klopp is a good coach but put him under any expectations and he will either fail or will quit as we have seen. There is a reason why he chose dortmund and liverpool despite many other top clubs wanted him.
Had a similiar chat regarding the difficulty to win consistently now compared to the 90s. Interestingly he raised similar points like a few posters here. I just asked him, so do you really think fergie now would have won just 1 EPL, 1 FA and one 1 CL in 9 years? Still waiting for his reply.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
If Alonso chooses to join Bayern. I’d be surprised if Liverpool didn’t go all in for someone like Nagelsmann… another German who will probably be liked instantly by there fans. I’m hoping they don’t go in for him because I’d rather we got him if we’re looking to change managers.

Teja

Whoever is going to come in, there has to be the question of how much they'll be backed.

Aging players, stingy owners, following a guy like Klopp. Don't envy whoever comes next.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Klopp is a good coach but put him under any expectations and he will either fail or will quit as we have seen. There is a reason why he chose dortmund and liverpool despite many other top clubs wanted him.
Had a similiar chat regarding the difficulty to win consistently now compared to the 90s. Interestingly he raised similar points like a few posters here. I just asked him, so do you really think fergie now would have won just 1 EPL, 1 FA and one 1 CL in 9 years? Still waiting for his reply.
It took SAF 7 yrs to win the league and Klopp just a few so yes. It’s a different league now and I don’t he (SAF)would be built for it. Too much social media, VAR, prima donna players and agents would drive him over the edge. It was a different time.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

It took SAF 7 yrs to win the league and Klopp just a few so yes. It’s a different league now and I don’t he (SAF)would be built for it. Too much social media, VAR, prima donna players and agents would drive him over the edge. It was a different time.
1986 wasn't remotely the same era as 2013 and yet Fergie always adapted with the times and kept winning league titles. I'm pretty sure social media and VAR isn't something he'd find too overwhelming.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
1986 wasn't remotely the same era as 2013 and yet Fergie always adapted with the times and kept winning league titles. I'm pretty sure social media and VAR isn't something he'd find too overwhelming.
He wasn’t up against oil state sponsored teams. He was brought in during Liverpool’s reign over Europe. It took him 7-8 yrs to win it. I don’t think if he started at the same time as Klopp in 2015 he would have done any better. He’s just not built for this time and that’s not a knock on him but Klopp is a media darling and thrives in the spotlight whereas SAF would probably be disgusted with the state of the league today.

Eplel

You underestimate how resilient SAF was a manager. Probably one of his greatest strengths.

Eplel

Klopp is a media darling and thrives in the spotlight whereas SAF would probably be disgusted with the state of the league today.

And on top of my previous point, if you believe that Klopp has undergone anything remotely as intense and "in the spotlight" as SAF's rivalry with Wenger (or even with Mourinho for that matter) , I'd wager you're less than 18 years old or you didn't watch football back then.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
:lol: And 1 PL winner and far inferior manager Klopp could (somewhat) handle it. This thread is comedy central

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

He wasn’t up against oil state sponsored teams. He was brought in during Liverpool’s reign over Europe. It took him 7-8 yrs to win it. I don’t think if he started at the same time as Klopp in 2015 he would have done any better.
He was in 2013 and he won the league by finishing 11 points ahead of an oil state team who had a superior squad to United's at the time (as proven by where the two teams finished the season after Fergie retired).
He’s just not built for this time and that’s not a knock on him but Klopp is a media darling and thrives in the spotlight whereas SAF would probably be disgusted with the state of the league today.
A media darling in the sense that he bulllies journalists who have the temerity to ask an innocuous question in post-match interviews? Sure, good old cheery Klopp. He's never highly strung after a loss is he?

The attempt to try to repaint Fergie as this dinosaur of a manager, who was all vibes and no tactics, and would struggle to survive in this vastly different world that we apparently live in in 2024 when compared to 2013... that's something you should probably stick to peddling on RAWK or Twitter, because that sort of tripe is going to get torn to pieces on here.

dabronxolivera

Supports
Al Hilal
Are you smoking crack ? He won against City in his last season. Man to man City squad was better than us. Also he faced the first money team ever which was petrodollar backed Chelsea without FFP limitation. They were the reason FFP was introduced. Chelsea was buying players left and right for fun. Also a reminder that SAF won 4 of his last 6 seasons (one of them he lost it by GD and the other one he missed it by ONE point). I think its not overly dramatic to say if luck went his way he could have won 6 in a row. He did it while we mess and bargained around the transfer market like a hobo shopping in a flea market. Also he never dropped out of top 3 since forever unlike your German God

Last edited:

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Are you smoking crack ? He won against City in his last season. Man to man City squad was better than us. Also he faced the first money team ever which was petrodollar backed Chelsea without FFP limitation. They were the reason FFP was introduced. Chelsea was buying players left and right for fun. Also a reminder that SAF won 4 of his last 6 seasons (one of them he lost it by GD and the other one he missed it by ONE point). I think its not overly dramatic to say if luck went his way he could have won 6 in a row. He did it while we mess and bargained around the transfer market like a hobo shopping in a flea market. Also he never dropped out of top 3 since forever unlike your German God
He was also the last manager to beat Real Madrid in a European final. Klopp wouldn't know much about that :D

Eddy_JukeZ

He wasn’t up against oil state sponsored teams. He was brought in during Liverpool’s reign over Europe. It took him 7-8 yrs to win it. I don’t think if he started at the same time as Klopp in 2015 he would have done any better. He’s just not built for this time and that’s not a knock on him but Klopp is a media darling and thrives in the spotlight whereas SAF would probably be disgusted with the state of the league today.
What a load of rubbish

TrustInOle

I don't normally like to call out people for their "opinion", but this is probably the most outrageous thing I have seen on the caf as all my years as a lurker and member.

Not only did he compete with City with their oil money he also ousted Chelsea in their pomp under abromovich and mourinho in his prime, not to mention his achievements with Aberdeen.

Truly awful take!

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
I don't normally like to call out people for their "opinion", but this is probably the most outrageous thing I have seen on the caf as all my years as a lurker and member.

Not only did he compete with City with their oil money he also ousted Chelsea in their pomp under abromovich and mourinho in his prime, not to mention his achievements with Aberdeen.

Truly awful take!
I don’t know. I believe if he had come and took over united at the same time Klopp came in and took over Liverpool nothing would be different in terms of success. The oil state club has only gotten stronger. Also the players on united since 2015 aren’t good enought to beat City let alone Liverpool. I don’t think any coach could have done any better than Klopp in these last 8 years considering the elepant in the room that is City. I think it’s a legit opinion.

Eddy_JukeZ

I don't think there's any reason to think we'd blow away the current Liverpool side. We didn't blow away the competition that year as it was. We won in the last fixture.

I agree that the individual players had more talent man for man than any team today, but as a team they weren't better than todays best teams.
Why downplay the 2007-2008 side needing to win in the last fixture as proof they weren't that dominant?

The Premier League was probably never more competitive than it was in 2007-2008. I don't think there's been a season across Europe's top leagues in the past 30 seasons(maybe even ever) where you can have a strong argument its top 4 sides from the league season were the 4 best sides in Europe. And that was the case in 2007-2008.

All the teams in the UCL got knocked out by another English team. You even had teams like Villa who scored more goals than Chelsea/Liverpool did in the league. Everton only conceded 30 something goals. Even Tottenham who had a poor season by results, scored over 60 + goals in the league.

As for the 2nd bolded: What teams do you mean when you say today's best teams? Teams specifically today? I don't see any reason why that team would look out of place up against Real Madrid, City, Arsenal, etc.

I presume in this scenario, you give them the benefits teams today have as well and 2-3 months of pre-season to acclimate a bit.

Eddy_JukeZ

I don’t know. I believe if he had come and took over united at the same time Klopp came in and took over Liverpool nothing would be different in terms of success. The oil state club has only gotten stronger. Also the players on united since 2015 aren’t good enought to beat City let alone Liverpool. I don’t think any coach could have done any better than Klopp in these last 8 years considering the elepant in the room that is City. I think it’s a legit opinion.
You phrase this as if Klopp has been contending for the league title every season and has been runner-up on every single occasion.

It's not an opinion with much evidence to back it.

This hypothetical also presumes that United's transfer dealings with SAF at the helm would have been the exact same as they were. It's nonsensical.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
There’s no chance the greatest manager of all time SAF finishes 6th or whatever it was behind Ole. Klopp just isn’t in that tier of manager as well as he’s done at Liverpool (and he’s done excellently). There’s quality managers and then there’s the greatest.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

On the bolded part, I'm struggling to follow the point you're trying to make. It's even more incoherent than the rest of your nonsensical posts. Are you suggesting that from 2015-present, Fergie would've chosen to sign the same players that were bought by 4 different United managers? Obviously not. Just like Klopp, he'd have built the team in his own image. But unlike Klopp, he'd have ended up with more than 1 PL title in 9 years. The same number as Ranieri, who funnily enough, came up against that same unstoppable oil state club whilst they were in full force.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
:lol:

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
He retired in 2013 not 1993

Oranges038

Multiple Chelsea managers have done just as well as him, since he's been there.

He's basically just 1 league title better than Benitez.

CoopersDream

Why downplay the 2007-2008 side needing to win in the last fixture as proof they weren't that dominant?

The Premier League was probably never more competitive than it was in 2007-2008. I don't think there's been a season across Europe's top leagues in the past 30 seasons(maybe even ever) where you can have a strong argument its top 4 sides from the league season were the 4 best sides in Europe. And that was the case in 2007-2008.

All the teams in the UCL got knocked out by another English team. You even had teams like Villa who scored more goals than Chelsea/Liverpool did in the league. Everton only conceded 30 something goals. Even Tottenham who had a poor season by results, scored over 60 + goals in the league.

As for the 2nd bolded: What teams do you mean when you say today's best teams? Teams specifically today? I don't see any reason why that team would look out of place up against Real Madrid, City, Arsenal, etc.

I presume in this scenario, you give them the benefits teams today have as well and 2-3 months of pre-season to acclimate a bit.
I haven't really downplayed them. I think it was a brilliant side, player for player the best the Premier League ever seen.

I don't necessarily disagree that Premier League's four best teams was maybe four of the five best teams in Europe, but that tells you much more about other top teams in Europe that year rather than the Premier League. Just look at it: Juventus was recently relegated, Milan was on a downward spiral, Inter was good, Madrid was right in the middle of six R16 exits, Barcelona was good but in the end of an era with Rijkaard, PSG wasn't really at all and Bayern wasn't even in the CL. I know a lot of people downplay the success had in Europe by English teams in the past years because top teams in Europe aren't that great right now, but in reality the top teams in Europe has never really been worse than at that time.

As for looking out of place, they probably wouldn't. But we needed to park the bus in order to get by (a not great) Barcelona-side. We were a great side indeed, but the reality is that there's happened a lot in football during the past 15 years. This happens in every sport really, the general level increases over time. Take Mourinho as a prime example, the way his teams play clearly worked a lot better 15 years ago than what it does now. It's not that he's not good at doing that anymore, it's that football has evolved from those times. It's not that we didn't have talent, but we didn't really impose ourselves in the same way as top teams do today, and because of that I think we would have had a hard time truly keeping up.

If we had that exact team today, SAF was 15 years younger, he'd most likely have applied what we today call a modern way of playing, then we would obviously have been one of the very best teams in the world, and probably the best right now. But if the hypothetical scenario is taking that exact team playing the way it did back then and putting it in todays football, then yes, I think it would have struggled. It does not make that team any less great, it does not make SAF any less great, it's just a reflection of how sports evolve over time.

WitchWithoutACat

It'll be interesting to see if he stays if he wins absolutely jack this season.

From quadruple winners best teams of all time (tm) to winning nothing would surely make someone of his bitterness when losing stay.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Hahahahahaha

Deluded Liverpool fans. Truly nothing quite like it

iHicksy

Insulting another member
No shit. You really don't do much to get rid of the stereotype of pool fans being fecking clueless idiots do you? "The players on United" - Grammar aside, you realize that Ferguson would have brought different players right? It's no secret he had deals for the likes of Ronaldo/Kroos lined etc lined up before Moyes came in. Honestly, your entire post reads like that of a 16 year old that started watching football in 2015 and you seem incapable of logical reasoning.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Same old scouse posters always on the wum looking for bites and getting them

Heinzesight

I couldn’t give two shits if Fergie could be successful in 2024. What matters is that he did do it, in his time, multiple times, saw off many a manager or regime, rebuilt squads, refreshed teams, made clever tweaks, had the media in the palm of his hand, could be a bastard* at times of course but incredibly charming, he destroyed rivals fans’ childhoods, combined modern thinking along with more traditional footballing methods and will say it again, he did it in his time and that’s what matters.

Do we go back and say could Klopp do what Fergie did with Aberdeen and then with United from 1986? No, because it’s ridiculous.

Klopp is an excellent manager but way off Fergie for crying out loud.

* not a bully though like someone we know

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
No shit. You really don't do much to get rid of the stereotype of pool fans being fecking clueless idiots do you? "The players on United" - Grammar aside, you realize that Ferguson would have brought different players right? It's no secret he had deals for the likes of Ronaldo/Kroos lined etc lined up before Moyes came in. Honestly, your entire post reads like that of a 16 year old that started watching football in 2015 and you seem incapable of logical reasoning.
I’ve been watching before you and your kids were born. Anyway insults aside which does read like a 16 year old from you, I think Klopp could not have done much better considering City’s power. No one else would have either.