Klopp to leave Liverpool at the end of the season

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
I don’t know. I believe if he had come and took over united at the same time Klopp came in and took over Liverpool nothing would be different in terms of success. The oil state club has only gotten stronger. Also the players on united since 2015 aren’t good enought to beat City let alone Liverpool. I don’t think any coach could have done any better than Klopp in these last 8 years considering the elepant in the room that is City. I think it’s a legit opinion.
Come on, you can't be serious.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I’ve been watching before you and your kids were born. Anyway insults aside which does read like a 16 year old from you, I think Klopp could not have done much better considering City’s power. No one else would have either.
Conte, Klopp won league title, fecking Arteta came close and is in PL title race but yeah Greatest of all time manager would have struggled, some of the shit you and others come up with.

if you were watching football before the other person was born then you should be embarrassed for the level of ignorance or delusion on display.

roonster09

Scout
I haven't really downplayed them. I think it was a brilliant side, player for player the best the Premier League ever seen.

I don't necessarily disagree that Premier League's four best teams was maybe four of the five best teams in Europe, but that tells you much more about other top teams in Europe that year rather than the Premier League. Just look at it: Juventus was recently relegated, Milan was on a downward spiral, Inter was good, Madrid was right in the middle of six R16 exits, Barcelona was good but in the end of an era with Rijkaard, PSG wasn't really at all and Bayern wasn't even in the CL. I know a lot of people downplay the success had in Europe by English teams in the past years because top teams in Europe aren't that great right now, but in reality the top teams in Europe has never really been worse than at that time.

As for looking out of place, they probably wouldn't. But we needed to park the bus in order to get by (a not great) Barcelona-side. We were a great side indeed, but the reality is that there's happened a lot in football during the past 15 years. This happens in every sport really, the general level increases over time. Take Mourinho as a prime example, the way his teams play clearly worked a lot better 15 years ago than what it does now. It's not that he's not good at doing that anymore, it's that football has evolved from those times. It's not that we didn't have talent, but we didn't really impose ourselves in the same way as top teams do today, and because of that I think we would have had a hard time truly keeping up.

If we had that exact team today, SAF was 15 years younger, he'd most likely have applied what we today call a modern way of playing, then we would obviously have been one of the very best teams in the world, and probably the best right now. But if the hypothetical scenario is taking that exact team playing the way it did back then and putting it in todays football, then yes, I think it would have struggled. It does not make that team any less great, it does not make SAF any less great, it's just a reflection of how sports evolve over time.
Using this logic, Pele Brazilian team would be in league one, Milan of 90s would be in championship maybe.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

if you were watching football before the other person was born then you should be embarrassed for the level of ignorance or delusion on display.
I don't think it's either of those things. He knows that Fergie would've done better than Klopp but he's fishing for bites.

Baring in mind, this is the same bloke who within the last month has posted on the caf that Man City are United's fans 'second team' and that we should be more worried about West Ham's results than Villa's because West Ham are our rivals nowadays.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I’ve been watching before you and your kids were born. Anyway insults aside which does read like a 16 year old from you, I think Klopp could not have done much better considering City’s power. No one else would have either.
What exactly did city stop you winning during klopps stint with you

roonster09

Scout
I don't think it's either of those things. He knows that Fergie would've done better than Klopp but he's fishing for bites.

Baring in mind, this is the same bloke who within the last month has posted on the caf that Man City are United's fans 'second team' and that we should be more worried about West Ham's results than Villa's because West Ham are our rivals nowadays.
IIRC he disappears when Liverpool results are not good, so we won't see him much from next season.

Zen86

Never seen a more subservient group of fans than Liverpool these past years thinking 2nd place to City is some monumental achievement nobody else could manage.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Never seen a more subservient group of fans than Liverpool these past years thinking 2nd place to City is some monumental achievement nobody else could manage.
Exactly. Plenty of teams managed it whilst Klopp was having one of his many off-seasons where he finished below managers such as Mourinho, Ole and Ten Hag. A truly great managerial reign. On par with Fergie's last decade in charge.

Zen86

Exactly. Plenty of teams managed it whilst Klopp was having one of his many off-seasons where he finished below managers such as Mourinho, Ole and Ten Hag. A truly great managerial reign. On par with Fergie's last decade in charge.
Got to love the fact that Liverpool’s golden age in the PL was them finishing second to City every year and then being first in line to crawl up Pep’s arse afterwards. I think Klopp would’ve hand presented them with the trophy if he was given the chance.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I know ye, even the pundits was raving about it. Probably because even though we’ve finished 2nd under the likes of Ole and Mourinho, we was never title challengers. Where as the scousers have ran them close a few times. If city wasn’t so dominant then the scousers could have easily had a few more titles with the points they’ve finished on. Still makes me laugh though how a lot of people was saying Klopp vs guardiola was the best rivalry in the prem when it was clearly Fergie vs Wenger

Amir

Far too much is made of Klopps one and only Premier League title win with Liverpool, it was an achievement but its important to remember that their one anly title win came in a season where they were they were the only team in the title race all season long so they were not at any point under-pressure from any other club to get results.
They dropped points in one match out of their first 27 in the league. I'd hardly put that against them.

They also showed they can handle a title race by running City so close twice.

It's not really an issue.

RedRocket9908

They dropped points in one match out of their first 27 in the league. I'd hardly put that against them.

They also showed they can handle a title race by running City so close twice.

It's not really an issue.
You dont win it after 27 matches though, they had a free run at title as the only team in the race and didnt have the pressure of having to match or better other teams results so were able to take each game in their stride.

Amir

You dont win it after 27 matches though, they had a free run at title as the only team in the race and didnt have the pressure of having to match or better other teams results so were able to take each game in their stride.
So what? They were so brilliant for the first two thirds of the season they had the title sewn up by then. What does it matter?

People are making such an effort here to poke holes in Klopp's achievements.

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
Technically, in those seasons nobody else could manage it, so you're bang on.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Technically, in those seasons nobody else could manage it, so you're bang on.
Nobody else got close to City in the seasons where Mourinho and Ole finished 2nd. The difference is - our fanbase don't bang on about it as an impressive achievement (even though Mourinho liked to pat himself on the back for it).

RedRocket9908

Nobody else got close to City in the seasons where Mourinho and Ole finished 2nd. The difference is - our fanbase don't bang on about it as an impressive achievement (even though Mourinho liked to pat himself on the back for it).
Ole's side finished only 12 points behind City though and it would have been 6 if it hadnt have been for the 2 losses in 3 days to Liverpool and Leicester in the last couple of weeks of the season.

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
Honestly, I don't know a Liverpool fan that is proud of finishing 2nd, I'm not sure why people say that. There's a frustration that, despite getting such a high points total, we weren't able to win the league a couple more times, but I don't know one fan that wears it as a badge of honour.

iHicksy

So what? They were so brilliant for the first two thirds of the season they had the title sewn up by then. What does it matter?

People are making such an effort here to poke holes in Klopp's achievements.
Do you not understand why?

Running city close isn't an achievement. Achievements are honors, don't get me wrong i think he's a great manager. But when he's being talked about as being one of the all time greats and you have liverpool fans putting him in the same echelon as Fergie - which is fecking laughable than yes he's going to be torn down.

History doesn't remember runners up. No one cares - being 2nd isn't an achievement, you're still a loser And that just shows the difference in mentality, pool fans think coming 2nd is a big deal, when SAF was here second was an abject failure. It seems to be celebrated at pool (remember the book release? jesus wept).

Klopp won ONE premier league title, during covid. That is the sum total of his work in the premier league with pool. He is not one of the best premier league managers to have ever lived. Conte, Mancini, Ranieri are all in the same bracket as him. So when you have pool fans saying no one could have done what he did against Pep you just sit there and laugh - because what he did was beat him once.

Amir

Running city close isn't an achievement. Achievements are honors, don't get me wrong i think he's a great manager. But when he's being talked about as being one of the all time greats and you have liverpool fans putting him in the same echelon as Fergie - which is fecking laughable than yes he's going to be torn down.

History doesn't remember runners up. No one cares - being 2nd isn't an achievement, you're still a loser And that just shows the difference in mentality, pool fans think coming 2nd is a big deal, when SAF was here second was an abject failure. It seems to be celebrated at pool (remember the book release? jesus wept).

Klopp won ONE premier league title, during covid. That is the sum total of his work in the premier league with pool. He is not one of the best premier league managers to have ever lived. Conte, Mancini, Ranieri are all in the same bracket as him. So when you have pool fans saying no one could have done what he did against Pep you just sit there and laugh - because what he did was beat him once.
Comparing any PL manager to Fergie is utterly pointless as his longevity puts him in a whole different bracket to everyone else.

But people making an effort to put down Klopp's achievement are also sliding down to ridiculous levels. You've just done it yourself when you mentioned his Premier League title was 'during covid'. So what? Did covid help him in any way? No. He had the league title sewn up when the league was stopped anyway.. And no, he's not in the bracket of Mancini or Ranieri, because people with sense don't look just at the number of PL titles when they examine a manager's track record. Europe, the level and style, the level of competition he faced - those things also matter.

They don't make him Fergie, but they make him a PL great.

iHicksy

Comparing any PL manager to Fergie is utterly pointless as his longevity puts him in a whole different bracket to everyone else.

But people making an effort to put down Klopp's achievement are also sliding down to ridiculous levels. You've just done it yourself when you mentioned his Premier League title was 'during covid'. So what? Did covid help him in any way? No. He had the league title sewn up when the league was stopped anyway.. And no, he's not in the bracket of Mancini or Ranieri, because people with sense don't look just at the number of PL titles when they examine a manager's track record. Europe, the level and style, the level of competition he faced - those things also matter.

They don't make him Fergie, but they make him a PL great.
The point is they don't. You simply cannot say he's a PL great because he won the premier league ONCE. That's absolutely ridiculous. You say people are downplaying his achievements - no, posters like you are OVERPLAYING them. He only achieved one title win, no other manager is being put up on this ridiculous pedestal because of a single title win, that is the grand sum of his achievements, coming second 3 times is not an achievement. It's purely because he's this cartoon personality and the liverpool manager that the scouse obsession and usual blowing any of the smallest things they do into epic proportions comes into play that he somehow becomes a PL great.

Hell he didn't even push city every year.

His league standings were: 8th, 4th, 4th, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 2nd, 5th.

Premier league great? Laughable.

Amir

The point is they don't. You simply cannot say he's a PL great because he won the premier league ONCE. That's absolutely ridiculous. You say people are downplaying his achievements - no, posters like you are OVERPLAYING them. He only achieved one title win, no other manager is being put up on this ridiculous pedestal because of a single title win, that is the grand sum of his achievements, coming second is not an achievement. It's purely because he's this cartoon personality and the liverpool manager that the scouse obsession and usual blowing any of the smallest things they do into epic proportions comes into play that he somehow becomes a PL great, laughable.
You can't just go and disconnect what he's done in Europe and the English cup competitions.

No other manager is "being put up on this ridiculous pedestal because of a single title win", because what no other manager who won one league title did everything else Klopp has done, in the league and in other competitions.

Posh Red

He wasn’t up against oil state sponsored teams. He was brought in during Liverpool’s reign over Europe. It took him 7-8 yrs to win it. I don’t think if he started at the same time as Klopp in 2015 he would have done any better. He’s just not built for this time and that’s not a knock on him but Klopp is a media darling and thrives in the spotlight whereas SAF would probably be disgusted with the state of the league today.
Did Chelsea and City only join the league in 2013?

iHicksy

You can't just go and disconnect what he's done in Europe and the English cup competitions.

No other manager is "being put up on this ridiculous pedestal because of a single title win", because what no other manager who won one league title did everything else Klopp has done, in the league and in other competitions.
Oh my god, seriously you can't just change the conversation when you've proved wrong. We were literally discussing him being a premier league great, so instead of the face of all the evidence proving he's not you've gone "well no i'm talking about the champions league too!". That's an entirely different conversation, because you know. It's a different competition.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
United would have won 6 titles in a row from 2007 to 2013 if it weren't for oil money teams beating them by a combined total of 1 point in the 2 seasons they missed out. Of course, money only started existing in football when it started to stop Liverpool winning things.

roonster09

Scout
United would have won 6 titles in a row from 2007 to 2013 if it weren't for oil money teams beating them by a combined total of 1 point in the 2 seasons they missed out. Of course, money only started existing in football when it started to stop Liverpool winning things.
7 titles. We won 5 and missed out 2 with 1 point.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Wumming
That’s true. The oil money really didn’t kick in until Klopp arrived. Before that the league was up for grabs. City was just better

Amir

Oh my god, seriously you can't just change the conversation when you've proved wrong. We were literally discussing him being a premier league great, so instead of the face of all the evidence proving he's not you've gone "well no i'm talking about the champions league too!". That's an entirely different conversation, because you know. It's a different competition.
Calm down man, it's just a meaningless, subjective, internet discussion.

I don't have the mental capacity to take the 60-odd games Liverpool play every year and focus only on 38 of them.

And if it's just about how many PL titles he has won, then I think that's sad because football should be about more than that. It should be about memories too, and Klopp has left tons of that. Great matches, great football, close run-ins with a superb City side. That's why he's higher on my list than other one-title managers, and why he's one of the PL greats (which in itself is absurd because football didn't start in 1992).

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
I think someone wants to get banned. Why else are you posting inflammatory stuff like this?
Because City’s spending from 2008-2015 was around 850 milliion. When 2015/16 rolled around till now they have spent over 1.5 billion when oil really kicked in along with the arrival of Pep. Big difference. No one can compete with that but somehow Klopp did. The facts don’t matter though apparently so I’ll leave it at that.

LordSpud

Because City’s spending from 2008-2015 was around 850 milliion. When 2015/16 rolled around till now they have spent over 1.5 billion when oil really kicked in along with the arrival of Pep. Big difference. No one can compete with that but somehow Klopp did. The facts don’t matter though apparently so I’ll leave it at that.
I reckon 850m in those days was relatively comparable to the period since actually

kaku06

And conveniently forgetting Chelsea and Roman’s spending I see, when he was off his nuts and was spending quarter a billion in one window fecking 20 yrs ago, TWENTY YEARS. But but but it started only after 2015, innit? What a disingenuous post.

LawCharltonBest

Enjoys watching fox porn
I feel cheated that we never had a direct rivalry with Liverpool in Klopps time there

city are an absolute waste of space and a United/Liverpool rivalry for the title would have been blockbuster

Ideal situation for me is Klopp leaving for a few years, Liverpool turn into a Conference League level team, United build back up to title challengers under INEOS, city get fecked by the 115, Liverpool get desperate and pay Klopp crazy money to return, a few years of United and Liverpool being the 2 best teams and fighting for the title. Then Liverpool go shit again and United renew the Arsenal title rivalry

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
You’ve got to be one of the shittest rival posters on these boards.

RedRocket9908

He wasn’t up against oil state sponsored teams. He was brought in during Liverpool’s reign over Europe. It took him 7-8 yrs to win it. I don’t think if he started at the same time as Klopp in 2015 he would have done any better. He’s just not built for this time and that’s not a knock on him but Klopp is a media darling and thrives in the spotlight whereas SAF would probably be disgusted with the state of the league today.
He wasnt brought in during Liverpools reign over Europe as Liverpool's so called reign over Europe finished in 1984 and he wasnt brought in until November 1986.

He won the Champions League on his 5th attempt which is less attempts than it took Pep with City.

He was up against Roman's Chelsea from 2004 to 2013 and the Shiekhs City from 2008-13 and still won 5 league title's and a Champions League in that time.

Last edited:

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
I think they're gonna try to bring in De Zerbi to replace him and I expect he'll be a great appointment. He'd be a good fit at any of the bigger clubs. Same mould.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
He won the Champions League on his 5th attempt which is less attempts than it took Pep with City.
Even that doesn’t tell the full story. English clubs returned to European football after the five year ban well behind the standard of the top European leagues and also had to deal with the three-foreigners rule. Fergie won the CWC in the English clubs’ first season back, and then the Champions League at the third attempt following the end of the three-foreigners rule.

Heinzesight

:lol: One of Fergie’s main strengths was his ability to adapt.

This 4-3 loss has really hit you hard hasn’t it. Windmilling your way through the thread.:lol: